Poll: Should we wipe gold?

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Ok? If you think gold is going to be such a hindrance, then hop on Classic and start farming gold. Don't punish other people simply because you didn't want to put the same effort into it.
    This isn't a me problem. I have plenty of gold. The problem is the health of the game and people being able to mass produce and buy Primal Mights and Tailoring CDs within the first 2-3 weeks to trivialize T4/T5 which was nerfed SEVERAL times from 2.1 -> 2.4.3

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Sigh. You make an assertion, you provide the evidence. Anyway, the argument is a gold WIPE. Not letting people take only, say, 10,000g but wiping it to something close to zero. That affects FAR more people than the relative few with 100k+ gold.
    Are you actually asking for PROOF that people had significantly less gold in vanilla? Okay, I'm sorry you are out of this conversation you clearly are completely lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    No I legit can't tell if you're trolling because anyone who actually thinks "It was okay back then why is it a problem now" is honestly the most naive thing someone could say for this discussion.

The issue today is inflation, and what it will do to the economy from day 1 and how it will effect a ton of new players.

Back then, you were LUCKY if you had epic riding, let alone were sitting on any gold at all after the expansion wiped. There is this one screenshot of this mage in vanilla who had all reps maxed, full t3, ateish, sitting on the winterspring tiger, and with 6k gold in his bags....and people were SHOCKED when they saw how much gold he had on him, actually SHOCKED... That's the major difference.

Back in tbc there was no inflation because there weren't thousands of mages afk farming dungeons making hundreds and hundreds of gold per hour. No one knew how to make gold.

Now today, you are actually fairly poor if you are sitting at anything under 6k. Honestly. Go into a GDKP run right now, and see the amount of gold these people are sitting on. It's astronomical. This is what is going to be the difference and how tbc won't just be 'okay' if you release it as is.
    If you think it's so easy to get gold, why not get the gold yourself instead of wanting people to lose everything? Expecting Blizzard to wipe gold if TBC comes to Classic is such an entitled mindset.

Look, people all of you arguing for a gold wipe want to prevent theoretical harm that you think will occur by actually harming people by wiping their gold. If you don't see the issue with that, we're at an end here.
    hey that's the same logic that got us layering, which gave us gather node hop meta, dungeon boss exploit, inv to layer immersion breaks and overpopulated servers all while failing to fix any of the problems it was designed for

If people can't see the problem with raids of people filled with Naxx gear + buying out crafted gear that lasts until T6 within the first 2-3 weeks of TBC with the heavily nerfed values of T4/T5 and heroic dungeons in patch 2.4.3, then I'm not sure what else to say. The game will be a joke and will become boring for many people very quickly.

You want the punish the people who DID play because you chose not to? You made your choice, you should deal with the consequences of that choice, not me or others.

And did gold wipe when TBC was released originally? No? But "that punishes the people who didnt play vanilla!!!"

You make your choice, you deal with the result.
    It's a different game, think of TBC as a new release. People who didn't play Classic shouldn't have to deal with years of people botting and multiboxing their way to millions of gold in a game where having a thousand gold was originally a decent amount. The economy would be absolutely ass fucked in TBC classic if you have people going into it with millions of gold from day one.

TBC Classic should be free from the taint, Vanilla Classic players being "punished" is a price worth paying. You can keep your gold on Vanilla Classic of course, but TBC transfer gold should be severely limited.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ilhom View Post
    The game will be a joke and will become boring for many people very quickly.
    TBC on it's own with all Vanilla content cleared is already a joke and all of it will be clearable in the first 2 weeks of each content patch. TBC just doesn't have that much to do. If they want people to play beyond the first month they will of course have to include the 1-60 level grind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Vanilla Classic players being "punished" is a price worth paying.
    Considering they are only punishing themselves by assuming they would be able to progress their Classic characters into other expansions, it's not even a price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    TBC on it's own with all Vanilla content cleared is already a joke and all of it will be clearable in the first 2 weeks of each content patch. TBC just doesn't have that much to do. If they want people to play beyond the first month they will of course have to include the 1-60 level grind.
    TBC has significantly more to do than classic, if classic isn't dead yet, then TBC will last just fine.

I am far from rich, but to be blunt:

It's none of yours or anyone else's business (except Blizzard's) how much gold anyone else has on this fictional/virtual game.

It's ridiculous that the thought is even being entertained.
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

TBC has significantly more to do than classic, if classic isn't dead yet, then TBC will last just fine.
    Uh-huh. Except when you look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by meowfurion View Post
    I am far from rich, but to be blunt:

It's none of yours or anyone else's business (except Blizzard's) how much gold anyone else has on this fictional/virtual game.

It's ridiculous that the thought is even being entertained.
    What about Diablo 2/3, Path of Exile, and other games of the like where they start fresh leagues and wipe all currency? Those are just fictional/virtual games. You honestly believe they would continue to be as popular as they are now without that happening? Your post is asinine. People caring about the economy when it's such a central part of the game experience is not ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I am not a fan of Classic but this is an absolutely ridiculous reason. Wanting to punish people just because you didn't want to play Classic is insane. People shouldn't lose gold just because some players were skipping vanilla and waiting for a possible TBC version of Classic to launch. There is absolutely no reason to wipe gold.
    They're not losing gold though, they'd keep their gold on classic. It wouldn't go anywhere. It would just remain where they earned it.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Uh-huh. Except when you look at it.
    I'm sorry you mind explaining to me what classic has that TBC doesn't? TBC has dailies, badges that keep heroics relevant throughout the entire expac, honor gear that isn't an absolute dread to farm for the casual pvper, obviously raids, arenas, the list goes on.

Not to even mention the content itself provides even deeper content than vanilla. Every raid is relevant throughout the entire expansion. Dungeons are relevant throughout the entire expansion. BGs are relevant throughout the entire expansion for arena players as well. The rep farms are actually meaningful and give you really nice things to aim for like netherdrakes and nether-rays and such.

How on earth are you implying classic somehow has *more* to do than tbc?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilhom View Post
    What about Diablo 2/3, Path of Exile, and other games of the like where they start fresh leagues and wipe all currency? Those are just fictional/virtual games. You honestly believe they would continue to be as popular as they are now without that happening? Your post is asinine. People caring about the economy when it's such a central part of the game experience is not ridiculous.
    Using Diablo and PoE as an example is what's asinine. Those are free to play games. No monthly fee. But resetting players all the time while also expecting them to give you money for the experience is what's asinine. If WoW had no monthly fee, I'd be fine with seasons. Expecting players to be ok with losing all their progress while also paying $15 a month is the true asinine mentality.

Private servers actually show the opposite, Classic and WOTLK servers have always thrived while TBC servers usually start to die off heavily after the launch hype. To the extent where a popular TBC server that originally had over 10k active players was down to less than 100 players online not long after Sunwell was cleared, meanwhile WOTLK servers have survived with similar (10k+) active players for years after ICC has been cleared.

Everything points to TBC not having lasting power, maybe due to attunements being a big barrier of entry. Players need guilds to help them get attunements, however guilds reach a point where they don't want to attune players anymore. That triggers a reaction, if you don't attune players you can't raid but your raiders don't want to be forced to do old content and quit playing, guilds just cannibalise each other until the server is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    They're not losing gold though, they'd keep their gold on classic. It wouldn't go anywhere. It would just remain where they earned it.
    That's absolutely ridiculous. You don't lose your gold between expansions on retail so there is no reason for it to happen going from classic to TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Private servers actually show the opposite, Classic and WOTLK servers have always thrived while TBC servers usually start to die off heavily after the launch hype. To the extent where a popular TBC server that originally had over 10k active players was down to less than 100 players online not long after Sunwell was cleared, meanwhile WOTLK servers have survived with similar (10k+) active players for years after ICC has been cleared.

Everything points to TBC not having lasting power, maybe due to attunements being a big barrier of entry. Players need guilds to help them get attunements, however guilds reach a point where they don't want to attune players anymore. That triggers a reaction, if you don't attune players you can't raid but your raiders don't want to be forced to do old content and quit playing, guilds just cannibalise each other until the server is dead.
    I take it you haven't actually been in any tbc private server very long then. The private servers that TBC has offered have all been EXTREMELY filled with gamebreaking bugs and fights that simply don't work. Not to mention almost all of them open up with a cash shop option which, surprise surprise, isn't fun.

The TBC private server numbers have nothing to do with it's lasting power if you see what actually happened to all of them.

Using Diablo and PoE as an example is what's asinine. Those are free to play games. No monthly fee. But resetting players all the time while also expecting them to give you money for the experience is what's asinine. If WoW had no monthly fee, I'd be fine with seasons. Expecting players to be ok with losing all their progress while also paying $15 a month is the true asinine mentality.
    I'm showing him the point that just because it's a virtual game doesn't invalidate people's desire to care about what happens to TBC's economy. He has a moot point. You're reading into it too much.

Hell no and these type of things only happen on private servers. Why would they punish all players for no reason and make everyone mad? They wouldn't do even if they didn't have all the controversy and negative stuff they have to deal with right now.

I take it you haven't actually been in any tbc private server very long then. The private servers that TBC has offered have all been EXTREMELY filled with gamebreaking bugs and fights that simply don't work. Not to mention almost all of them open up with a cash shop option which, surprise surprise, isn't fun.

The TBC private server numbers have nothing to do with it's lasting power if you see what actually happened to all of them.
    1. Actually yes I was active on one recently. TBC private servers as they are now are just as good as the Vanilla ones and that has been the case for about 3 years. So I would ask the same question of you, who seems to be basing his opinions on 2011.

2. The WOTLK server I was talking about that is extremely popular actually has a cash shop, so that point is kinda irrelevant. Believe it or not but cash shops are popular, I've seen players begging for cash shops on private server realms, such as thread "when is the cash shop getting added". The TBC realm in question I'm discussing had both a non shop server and a "limited shop" server selling previous tier items.. The non shop server died a hard death and had to be merged into the shop server because the players prefer the shop server.

Honestly you couldn't be more clueless about private servers and the players.