Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadowlands Preview: Skill up with Professions

Shadowlands Preview: Skill up with Professions
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    With Shadowlands on the horizon, you’ll soon enter a world with new resources to gather which can be turned into new items to make yourself even more powerful.

Further your current professions or pick up new trades from the Profession Trainers in the Hall of Shapes in Oribos. These specialized Brokers will also sell you profession reagents to create goods and will help you level up your trade. Characters with gathering professions in Battle for Azeroth will notice that Star Ranks have been removed, but don’t fret—you’ll obtain greater quantities of harvested material as you go up in skill. Engineers will also notice that, as they become more adept at working on devices, they will experience less backfires on their inventions.

Blast from the Past

Consumables from expansions past make a return in Shadowlands to give you an edge in combat. Leatherworkers can make Armor Kits which will increase the stamina of worn chest gear for two hours. Alchemists can make Weapon Oils that offer a range of benefitscan be applied for a range of benefits—such as dealing damage or healing yourself—during combat and last for 10 minutes, and some potions can interact with Weapon Oils for additional beneficial effects! Flasks and potions can interact with Weapon Oils for additional beneficial effects, so keep an open mind as you experiment with the combinations available! Additionally, there are only two Flasks, one that increases your Primary Stat regardless of class and spec, and one that increases your Stamina. Blacksmiths can once again create Sharpening Stones and Weightstones will increase your attack power for one hour.

Optional Reagents in Professions

New to Shadowlands are Optional Reagents—ingredients that you can use when crafting armor, weapons, and jewelry. Each piece of crafted gear can have up to three slots—the first slot’s Optional Reagent sets the piece’s item level and the second and third slots apply secondary stats to a crafted piece.

Legendary Runecarving in Shadowlands

In the Shadowlands, you’ll be able to forge and customize your own legendary pieces using items procured from professions. Characters with Tailoring, Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, or Jewelcrafting professions will be granted the recipe to create base pieces as part of the storyline with the Runecarver. These pieces can be crafted by players and can be traded or can be purchased from the Auction House. Each time a crafter creates a base piece, they will earn experience and over time they will be able to create those base pieces with higher item levels. There are four levels each recipe can reach, and creating higher level base pieces will require more resources to complete.

You’ll also need two Missives, which are used to empower the piece with two different secondary stats of your choosing. These Missives can be made by players with the Inscription profession and can be traded or sold on the Auction House.

The new ethereal additions to Professions will become available to you to dabble and master once Shadowlands launches on November 23!

Lots of double sentences

Leatherworking gives you 2 hour buff, weapon oils only 10 minutes? Wow, hardly going to be worth applying the oils at such a short durance

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    Leatherworking gives you 2 hour buff, weapon oils only 10 minutes? Wow, hardly going to be worth applying the oils at such a short durance
    The oils are also mutually exclusive with the sharpening stones blacksmiths use, so you can't use both at a time, and oils seem to be much more powerful.

The buff from Leatherworking is utterly worthless, it amounts to about 1k extra HP. Whoop-dee-do, from 32k HP to 33K, you take more of that in damage from an autoattack or less.

The oil is far more valuable and actually helps your damage significantly, especially paired with the potion that interacts with it.

Leatherworking will be a dead profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    Except for legendary crafting gear for leather/mail-wearers, you mean...

Did anyone else think they had a stroke while reading this?

Anyhoo, it sounds like oils will be a required consumable for raids. Who makes them? Alchemists I presume?

The oils are also mutually exclusive with the sharpening stones blacksmiths use, so you can't use both at a time, and oils seem to be much more powerful.

The buff from Leatherworking is utterly worthless, it amounts to about 1k extra HP. Whoop-dee-do, from 32k HP to 33K, you take more of that in damage from an autoattack or less.

The oil is far more valuable and actually helps your damage significantly, especially paired with the potion that interacts with it.

What I want to know is why Alchemy is getting them when they were Enchanting historically much less Alchemy already has raid consumables to make and sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    Except for legendary crafting gear for leather/mail-wearers, you mean...
    You do realize those are BoE's, and limited to the one time use of the craft? Not even comparable to the profits or utility of alchemy, enchanting, or jewelcrafting.

I’m in favor of a bit more consumable use to get other professions involved, so why in the $&@& would one of the new ones be alchemy???

Lol! I'm spending the last week of BfA leveling up the secondary skills like Archeology and Fishing I neglected the entire expansion. No real reason to do so I guess (except I'm a completionist) since you no longer have to have the previous expansion at max skill to work on the next expansion

Once again the stupid vanilla fanboys with their rose tinted glasses are forcing the developers to bring back shit nobody cared about.
    What next? Taking up bag space with Soul shards and an endless bukkake of reagents? Because that was not cumbersome in the slightest. /s
    Give me a fucking break!

Engineers will also notice that, as they become more adept at working on devices, they will experience less backfires on their inventions.
    If this is true (and I am skeptical), then Shadowlands will be the greatest expansion of all time I hate that engineering has zero role to play in the legendary game, though... I thought we'd at least be able to craft ourselves goggles for personal legendary items

Also remember that around the world there will be world quests every so often to give you skill boosts in your profession.
    Also note that different professions seem to have different 'max ranks'.

Having played a bit in beta, this is the first expansion in several that will have meaningful professions.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The only meaningful part will be the legendaries, which are coupled with a forced gold sink that makes up the majority of their costs and therefore cripples every crafter that hasn't already amassed a fortune during WoD, and the professions that can produce consumables (alchemy, like always). The normal armor crafting is even more useless in SL than it was in the last 5 expansions because they completely neutered crafter's marks while simultaeneously locking them behind revered reputations, to ensure that they won't be relevant for even a second during the expansion.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dervrak View Post
    Lol! I'm spending the last week of BfA leveling up the secondary skills like Archeology and Fishing I neglected the entire expansion. No real reason to do so I guess (except I'm a completionist) since you no longer have to have the previous expansion at max skill to work on the next expansion
    For archaeology you still need previous expansions. Currently it is a 1-950 profession while the rest got split.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Also remember that around the world there will be world quests every so often to give you skill boosts in your profession.
    Also note that different professions seem to have different 'max ranks'.

Having played a bit in beta, this is the first expansion in several that will have meaningful professions.
    Can you give me reason to be optimistic as an Engineer besides the already mentioned backfire reduction (which has been mentioned in the past but never seems to help)? I know I'll make a killing with enchanting, but I'm yet to see much of interest out of Engineering in terms of either fun or gold making potential (although the latter has never been a forte of Eng to begin with).

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    What I want to know is why Alchemy is getting them when they were Enchanting historically much less Alchemy already has raid consumables to make and sell.
    Alchemy has also had weapon oils in the past. And i'm pretty sure the enchanting ones were added in a patch during vanilla while the alchemy ones always existed. So technically Alchemy does have more claim to them. In fact i vaguely remember Alchemists throwing a fit when Enchanting was given those weapon oil recipes.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2020-11-20 at 05:14 AM.
    I'm a thread killer.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't even remember if my main has professions or not lol. They for sure aren't maxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Can you give me reason to be optimistic as an Engineer
    I was being more general for crafting professions... Engineering has always been one for making gizmos and toys, not gear. It isn't going to change overnight.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

You do realize those are BoE's, and limited to the one time use of the craft? Not even comparable to the profits or utility of alchemy, enchanting, or jewelcrafting.
    I didn't know this. So you're saying you craft only 1 legendary and you're done with them? That seems counter to what it says above about selling them on the AH.