Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Just need to look at the signings. Under mourinho they were after perisic and Danny Rose. Pretty much every signing bar Daniel James has improved the team. He's also been on record breaking streaks like when he arrived and even recently with away wins. His record vs the other top 6 is actually really good and that's normally where manager tactics makes the biggest difference. So if utd can sort out thier consistentcy problems they might actually put in a challenge.
    If anything the team has regressed since Mourinho.
    With less money, you won the Europa League, a Carabao cup and finished 2nd.

Dude. If you lost on the weekend, I think it would have been the worst start for 30+ years?
    You bought VDB and Cavani as pure panic signings.

You need a good transfer window or a bunch of youth players to start building something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck the international break we are already struggling defensively through injuries and now Egan gets injured in 14 minutes in a friendly. Just relegate us now and have the season done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frank talking sense. Ole is a joke and has built a mediocre team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
    You bought VDB and Cavani as pure panic signings.
    Exactly. While I do think VDB can provide for this team, it's pretty evident he isn't one of Ole's signings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    Exactly. While I do think VDB can provide for this team, it's pretty evident he isn't one of Ole's signings.
    Just curious but how is it evident he was not one of Ole's signings? I'm not saying he was, just wondering

On another note, how do you guys rate Belgium for Euro 2020? After getting into the finals of the stupid Nation's League I kinda have hope Belgium might be able to go all the way at Euro 2020... so I'm curious what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Just curious but how is it evident he was not one of Ole's signings? I'm not saying he was, just wondering

On another note, how do you guys rate Belgium for Euro 2020? After getting into the finals of the stupid Nation's League I kinda have hope Belgium might be able to go all the way at Euro 2020... so I'm curious what others think.
    Not sure about them playing 3 at the back.
    I rate them among the favorites though.

Portugal have a strong team on paper. Think they will surprise a few.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think managers have had much say in the team's signings for 2-3 years.

5+ Year Old Account

We are in a weird spot. Our offense and midfield seem stronger than they were during the last world cup, but our defense has taken hits. The next generation in the back is -sadly- a step down in quality and Jan Vertongen is showing signs of age. Finally, Fellaini has retired from the national team. People love to hate him, but he did provide an effective emergency weapon (as shown in the 1/8th final against Japan in the 2018 world cup) that we don't really have an alternative for.

Perhaps it's time to try to activate myself on this forum again, convenient to do when on distance-lecturing.

Regarding the VAR situation you talked about: I agree with that is has been really badly used in England, and it has been going on for a while. In Germany it has been well used during the Bayern games, although it seems like they also try to measure nanometer offsides with centremeters lines which is just stupid. The offside part is something it has to be better at: Let the descision on the field stay if it is too difficult to see what is right with VAR, same goes for all situations and not just offside. The handball rule is also a complete mess at the moment and nobody seems to have a clear understanding of it, I don't think VAR is the root of that mess. I'm still for VAR but it has too be well used.

Without fans it sucks but I rather have this football to watch than nothing, for me it would get boring. The atmosphere is obviously damaged but the quality of the football is still there IMO, depending of course on the team you are watching. A lot of goals aswell which is entertaining.

Ole has his moments, really surprised how he managed to get a win against PSG and Leipzig. PSG's midfield was horrible and gave the midfield to United but still a good win, Rashford's winning goal was a beauty. Can't understand how Leipzig crumbled like they did, hard to believe that it only had to do with Rashford. But as already stated, United's problem is the consistency. I can't see Ole taking this team to the level where they want to be and tbh it will be difficult for any manager since the board is a mess. Top 4 finishing is important in regards of money and status. Any team wants to play in CL even though they have no realistic chance of winning it and for clubs like United they "should" always be playing there, same goes for Arsenal but it has been such a long time now that people have forgotten it.

Regarding Belgium's chances I think they will do well in Euro 2020(1). Great team and such good attacking options that the lack of quality in defence shouldn't make that much of a difference. But there are a lot of other great national sides atm: France (great quality and depth), England (quality wise atleast), Portugal (starting to have a good team outside of CR7), Spain (showed against Germany that they still got it) and I would also say Netherlands if they got their whole squad. Other good teams can also be found.

And if we want more banter here, we only have to say that Portugal didn't deserve Euro 2016.

This thread is shit now.

I miss SlenderBro
    The communist chaps
    The really cool Spanish dude who knew his football
    The dude with pink darth vadar avatar

Even the Portugeezers when they weren't getting mad when you told them they were lucky to win the Euros.

Dude with the avatar of a potion guy
    The Real Madrid fan who called it quits cause Madrid failed to win a trophy that one season
    and many others...

Even Bobby C had his moments.

Kill the thread imo. Let it die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said before and will say again to arguments that Messi is the GOAT, that he isn't even the greatest player from his own country.

Hand of God aside, Maradona was sublime. He carried Argentina on his back in '86 and Napoli to their only two Serie A titles, ending the Juventus domination in the 80s. A genius of the game.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

5+ Year Old Account
    Poor quality video, wasn't that bad in 1986...we need this remastered!

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst thing about Maradona is he could of carried Sheffield Utd in the 80's instead of Napoli if our owner wasn't so tight fisted. He was basically signed for 150k then they asked for more and we decided no. Probably one of the clubs worst decisions.

2020 strikes again, RIP Maradona.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for us to lose to West Brom away, I miss last season so much. When we attacked teams and played good football. Looks like Liverpool, Chelsea or Tottenham are going to win the league the others are just not consistent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorged View Post
    Can't wait for us to lose to West Brom away, I miss last season so much. When we attacked teams and played good football. Looks like Liverpool, Chelsea or Tottenham are going to win the league the others are just not consistent enough.
    whenever i think how shit palace are, im glad there is relegation fodder like west brom, fulham and shef to prop us up another year

The teams at the bottom of the league are really struggling this year, hit harder due to smaller squads or what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    The teams at the bottom of the league are really struggling this year, hit harder due to smaller squads or what?
    Can't speak for the other teams but we have been hit by a key injury in O'Connell who is key to the way we play, and we didn't recruit brilliantly in the summer we bought for the future in a couple of years not here and now then we lost 4 of our first team. lost the majority of games by a single goal and we just can't score. I'm sure the smaller squad isn't helping but can't blame that, we just haven't been good enough.

I guess as well the smaller teams have suffered more financially with no fans. The teams with aired european games are just in a much stronger position.