How will the new California Curfew affect the Shadow LAnds launch?

https://abc7.com/governor-newsom-cal...geles/8101518/

Think this will impact the game launch , I imagine lot of things still cant be done at home and I dont see Blizzard as being listed as Essential .
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post

Think this will impact the game launch , I imagine lot of things still cant be done at home and I dont see Blizzard as being listed as Essential .
    Have we just got an influx of people who don't understand how businesses operate, on a basic level, or something?

I take it you're just entirely ignorant about modern tech? It's extremely unlikely they'll need anyone physically there at all hours, in 2020. This isn't 2004 mate. You can "imagine" whatever you like, but it doesn't reflect reality.

Also here's what Calfornia considers essential: https://covid19.ca.gov/essential-workforce/

That would cover people keeping the servers up, connections up, etc.

Specifically under IT there's 6. Workers supporting communications systems, information technology, and work from home solutions
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2020-11-20 at 01:57 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

I would guess most blizzard developers have been working from home all year anyway?

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think it will at all. By all accounts Blizzard has shifted almost entirely to working from home as a safety precaution, which was one of the contributing factors to the initial launch delay as well as delays in getting 9.0 prepatch out the door. Telecommuting in 2020 has become industry standard for almost every job that doesn't require onsite work outside skeleton crews for maintenance and janitorial services, or whose work absolutely needs to be done onsite.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    I would guess most blizzard developers have been working from home all year anyway?
    Yup. I don't think he has any clear idea about what the issues might be given the "imagine" and "a lot" rather than any specific concerns. And California classifies the people who keep the servers and connections up as essential, contrary to his assumption.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it depends where their servers are located. Sometimes you just gotta have people ready to go into the server room if something goes wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing, these days, that I can do at the office that I can't do at home. I work on back end systems that are similar in nature to what Blizzard uses for WoW.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    I work in IT, am "essential", work 40+ hours every week, and have not stepped 1 foot in my office since March. The power of the Internet enables such things and has for many years. The majority of IT work doesn't need to be done locally. That is also why so much IT work has been outsourced over the past 20 years to lower wage countries.

Even if you weren't aware of that, just think through the process for a minute...the Shadowlands release work is done. They aren't doing a bunch of work or programming on launch day. The game on retail even is already running 9.02, so release doesn't even involve a major patch. All that happens next week is someone at Blizzard flips 1 flag setting to allow entry to Shadowlands. That is something that can very easily be done remotely.

at worst that means some server guys gotto sleep at the office instead of be on call.

but most curfews i've seen have had enough exceptions tied to them that a work "emergency" won't cause you any problems.

Dont worry , California governor is attending large tabl edinners while you are under the boot, so he will aid with the launch.

7+ Year Old Account
    They've been working from home for a while now.

Not much is gonna change.

Formerly known as Arafal

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

so in most countries, we already have curfews and shit and the world hasn't destroyed itself so far, but for some reason a curfew on a random american state would affect the launch of a video game worldwide?
    You don't understand. Having an unpayed full time job that no one appreciates is the magic of classic.

It's about the journey. The journey into depression. The journey of running a daycare full of middle-aged alcoholics ignoring their SOs and avoiding social engagements to fulfill something they wanted 15 years ago before everyone realized it's not hard at all.