15+ Year Old Account
    Necromancer doesn't seem unique in the slightest bit. I'd rather have Fartmancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I too would prefer 4th specs to a new class... but if Demon Hunters are any indication Blizzard would rather break classes into two than give 4th specs.

This 300%. Blizzard would rather turn classes into trash and more before they implement a 4th spec. Blizzard really has no clue on what fun is and how to make this game really fun for us.
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It doesn't matter if abilities like those exist in the game or not. The whole point that I'm saying is that those mechanics are not exclusive to a mechanical theme. All those mechanics could be instead given for almost any other concept. "Upgradable turrets" mechanics? Those could be given to shamans to "upgrade" their totems. Mechs? That's basically how druid shapeshifting works. "Pocket Factory"? A druid could have an ability that summons a flower on the ground that spawns explosive spores that drift toward a nearby target and explode on contact. Or a warlock would have an ability that summons a portal that constantly spawns imps that walk toward the nearby enemy and explode. Exact same mechanic and functionality as the pocket factory.
    Except a nature-loving magician shapeshifting into an animal is thematically different than a Gnome or Goblin piloting a mechanical vehicle. Thus, the latter opens up gameplay possibilities that are simply not open to the Druid.

If you want to be obtuse, sure it's possible that Blizzard could make a Druid in Bear or Cat Form explode and shoot guts and gore everywhere and do AoE damage. However, we both know that Blizzard would never do that because it simply doesn't fit the theme of the Druid class, so your point is moot.

I'm not being "hard-headed". Any and all gameplay mechanics one claims is "exclusive to the mechanical theme", i.e., "exclusive gameplay because Tinker", can be also given to any other class concept in existence. Turrets? Hey, we already have the totem mechanics. Mechs? Druids can shape-change, and other classes can temporarily shape-change. Upgrades? Again, other classes already have those mechanics. Gadgets? What's the difference between firing a rocket that deals fire damage... and a fireball?

That's the whole point of what I'm saying: there is no such thing as "gameplay exclusive to a theme". Mechanic-wise, a tinker getting into their mech and get access to abilities exclusive to the mech is no different, mechanically-speaking, from a druid shape-changing into a bear and getting exclusive abilities.
    You ignored everything I said to sound 'correct'. I don't give a flying rats ass about truly, unequivocal unique gameplay, I'm talking about a cohesive kit that encompasses an entire class in and of itself. And how that the theme of a tinker could actually lend itself to class-specific designs. IE: Mechs and different parts - bringing back + / - builds (Where you fashion yourself to be stronger and weaker in different ways), things like that. It doesn't matter that it isn't entirely unique on their own parts but that the entire thing is.

Things like Necromancer are strong thematically but they share those themes already with other classes. Tinker? No other class shares their theme - nitpicking singular abilities is a strawman comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except a nature-loving magician shapeshifting into an animal is thematically different than a Gnome or Goblin piloting a mechanical vehicle. Thus, the latter opens up gameplay possibilities that are simply not open to the Druid.

Exactly my point. Classes will always share something at some point - but so long as the identity and theme are strong and unique that's way more important.

Nah, its going to be 3 specs at least. Demon Hunters only got two specs because they lacked design space. They mentioned considering a healing spec, but it just didn't fit the class. They also mulled over a second DPS spec, but a ranged caster also didn't fit, and another melee DPS spec wouldn't feel much different than the glut of other melee DPS specs out there.

The Tinker doesn't have that problem. I imagine it would have Tank/DPS/Healing for specs, since people are sort of clamoring for a new healing spec. The Island Expedition team also had Heal Bots, and we've encountered engineers in WoW who have a version of the Goblin Alchemist hero's Healing Spray ability, so I don't see why we wouldn't have three specs for the Tinker.
    I could see the healing but I also would be hard pressed to envision how it'd work. Sure there are bits and pieces for it but the class itself fits Tank / DPS well above and beyond a healer. Though, if they had a 1 Tank / 2 DPS / 1 Healer (Like druid) that'd be great too. The theme itself is very open for at least 2 DPS variants and a tank, but the healing is a bit iffy to me. Seems restrictive to potion slinging and chemical spilling robots.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2020-11-20 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    You ignored everything I said to sound 'correct'. I don't give a flying rats ass about truly, unequivocal unique gameplay, I'm talking about a cohesive kit that encompasses an entire class in and of itself. And how that the theme of a tinker could actually lend itself to class-specific designs. IE: Mechs and different parts - bringing back + / - builds (Where you fashion yourself to be stronger and weaker in different ways), things like that. It doesn't matter that it isn't entirely unique on their own parts but that the entire thing is.

Things like Necromancer are strong thematically but they share those themes already with other classes. Tinker? No other class shares their theme - nitpicking singular abilities is a strawman comparison.
    So what? It doesn't matter one iota for gameplay if a class shares a theme with another or not. Two classes can have completely different themes and still play the same. And two classes can still have the same theme and still play completely differently.

And "nitpicking singular abilities"? I'm not doing that. I am showing how those mechanics that people claim are "unique to the mechanical theme" can be given to a different theme, therefore nullifying the "it's unique to mechanical" claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Theme is unrelated to gameplay. I can concede that the theme of mechanical abilities is not properly represented within the current class line-up, but having a "mechanical theme" does not mean unique gameplay.

If you want to be obtuse,
    Stop projecting.

I think the bard would be cool.
    Surprised it doesn't exist in WoW, than again it's not really that type of character class that exists in this game world.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    12 pages.. Has this turned into a Tinker thread yet like class threads always do?

I want a battlemage, arcane magic in melee, yes pls.

Or something that makes use of the drustvar witch spell effects. The blue/black ones, that seem to be raw death magic before Death Knights turn it into unholy/blood/frost and it could be interesting to play around with.
    Dragon Warrior could definitely fall into Arcane spells and melee and would be chromatic so they have magics from all the aspects.

Yeah, because the addition of a class alters the entire state of the game.
    It edges this game even further into the drain. I'd rather be forced to PvP for PvE content than deal with tinkers

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see the healing but I also would be hard pressed to envision how it'd work. Sure there are bits and pieces for it but the class itself fits Tank / DPS well above and beyond a healer. Though, if they had a 1 Tank / 2 DPS / 1 Healer (Like druid) that'd be great too. The theme itself is very open for at least 2 DPS variants and a tank, but the healing is a bit iffy to me. Seems restrictive to potion slinging and chemical spilling robots.
    Healing guns? Healing Turrets? Bio Grenades? Medi-bots? Healing rays? Healing bombs?

I think they could also pull a lot from Overwatch.

- - - Updated - - -

Theme is unrelated to gameplay. I can concede that the theme of mechanical abilities is not properly represented within the current class line-up, but having a "mechanical theme" does not mean unique gameplay.
    Why can't Paladins use Shadow magic? Why aren't Death Knights using Holy Magic? Why aren't Mages using Demonic magic? Why can't Hunters transform into animals? Why aren't Shaman draining life from other people? Why aren't Warriors using magic spells?

Yeah, it's all because of theme.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    12 pages.. Has this turned into a Tinker thread yet like class threads always do?
    With how often tinker and teriz were brought up, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

So what? It doesn't matter one iota for gameplay if a class shares a theme with another or not. Two classes can have completely different themes and still play the same. And two classes can still have the same theme and still play completely differently.

And "nitpicking singular abilities"? I'm not doing that. I am showing how those mechanics that people claim are "unique to the mechanical theme" can be given to a different theme, therefore nullifying the "it's unique to mechanical" claim.

Once you realize that base mechanics and design =/= entirely unique you'll understand why people are saying this. Druids got Symbiosis (Now removed for obvious reasons). Would that have fit on a Paladin? Sure, if you changed it to fit their design and themes. But as is? Hell no. Could you give rogues a mech? Pffff. You'd be hard pressed to even find something literally equivalent to that.

Just look at all the classes with blinks / dashes. They're all quite similar at a base design level - point a to point b, but they have nuances tied to them. Same thing for abilities that share cast times and such. You need to disengage your hyper focus otherwise you won't understand why Tinker is such a broad appealing class option.

I will admit things like Rogue getting a sprint and Druids as well is the literal worst way to share designs and they feel no different in that regard. But that's also a 2004 design choice, not a 2020 one.

Healing guns? Healing Turrets? Bio Grenades? Medi-bots? Healing rays? Healing bombs?

I think they could also pull a lot from Overwatch.
    They could but they'd have to be careful as well - especially if it was a goblin / gnome exclusive thing. Although it shouldn't be because we do have Mag'har and Lightforged variants to add some interesting flair to the visuals. Iron Horde and all that.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2020-11-20 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They could but they'd have to be careful as well - especially if it was a goblin / gnome exclusive thing. Although it shouldn't be because we do have Mag'har and Lightforged variants to add some interesting flair to the visuals. Iron Horde and all that.
    I would love to see LF and IH concepts for Orcs and Draenei. There's also Nightborne technology too.

I see three ways for Blizzard to do this;

1. Goblins and Gnomes (with mechagnomes) only.
    2. Goblins, Vulpeira, Gnomes, and Mechagnomes only
    3. Goblins, Vulpeira, Orcs (2), Nightborne, Gnomes, Mechagnomes, Dwarves (2), and Draenei (2).

Thing is, the more races added, the more unique art assets Blizzard would need to add for the tech. Essentially, it would be like Blizzard's unique Druid forms, unique totems, and unique Paladin mounts all put together for one class.

It's definitely possible, but I personally see option 2 being the most possible, with Vulpeira using a sort of "junker" technology;

I would love to see LF and IH concepts for Orcs and Draenei. There's also Nightborne technology too.

I see three ways for Blizzard to do this;

1. Goblins and Gnomes (with mechagnomes) only.
    2. Goblins, Vulpeira, Gnomes, and Mechagnomes only
    3. Goblins, Vulpeira, Orcs (2), Nightborne, Gnomes, Mechagnomes, Dwarves (2), and Draenei (2).

Thing is, the more races added, the more unique art assets Blizzard would need to add for the tech. Essentially, it would be like Blizzard's unique Druid forms, unique totems, and unique Paladin mounts all put together for one class.

It's definitely possible, but I personally see option 2 being the most possible, with Vulpeira using a sort of "junker" technology;

Another way it could go is Where only one variant of Orc, Draenei and Dwarf get the class(Mag'har, Lightforged and Dark Iron to be specific), and to be honest Nightborne and Vulpera could probably be dropped, examples of Nightborne riding their constructs is rather limited with really only having that one insane "prince" in Azsuna, and Vulpera have pretty much zero widely used technology, both races have one NPC that is undeniably at least having some knowledge of tech, that one Nightborne Engineering trainer(I can't find her on Wowpedia) and Tinkerin Taji being those 2, and while the Nightborne's level of engineering know-how is unquestionable, but Taji, I'm not convinced he's anything more than an NPC placed so Horde have a repair npc before the big zone finale, either way both could be considered on the same grounding as that one Orc Druid on Ashran where they are neither numerous enough nor have a notable enough NPC to justify it's inclusion

There is literally no reason for druid to wear heavy armor and spellbreakers wear plate in lore.

We killed Xavius and defeated the Legion. I think the nightmare is done for, unless the Nathrezim pick off where it left off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    Another way it could go is Where only one variant of Orc, Draenei and Dwarf get the class(Mag'har, Lightforged and Dark Iron to be specific), and to be honest Nightborne and Vulpera could probably be dropped, examples of Nightborne riding their constructs is rather limited with really only having that one insane "prince" in Azsuna, and Vulpera have pretty much zero widely used technology, both races have one NPC that is undeniably at least having some knowledge of tech, that one Nightborne Engineering trainer(I can't find her on Wowpedia) and Tinkerin Taji being those 2, and while the Nightborne's level of engineering know-how is unquestionable, but Taji, I'm not convinced he's anything more than an NPC placed so Horde have a repair npc before the big zone finale, either way both could be considered on the same grounding as that one Orc Druid on Ashran where they are neither numerous enough nor have a notable enough NPC to justify it's inclusion
    Therein lies the problem though; Mechs are used by Goblins and Gnomes to make up for their lack of physical strength and magical power in lore. Technology is supposed to be what evens things out for them against other races. Vulpeira actually fit into that prism because like Goblins and Gnomes they aren't overtly physically strong or attuned to magic. Their strength is their intelligence, resourcefulness, and affinity to Alchemy, which actually aligns them rather well to a technology-based class.

Orcs and Draenei on the other hand are physically powerful, and the Draenei have rather strong affinity to the Naaru, so while they do have war frames, I can see them being ignored in favor of a Tinker class more aligned for Goblins and Gnomes. It would also make development easier, because Gnomes and Mechagnomes could use the same models for their summoned tech (turrets, robot helpers, etc), and Vulpeira could use the same models as Goblin tech. The only thing Blizzard would need to do is make up some BS lore, and give those 4 races unique mech models.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    TIINNNKKEEERRRRRRRrrrr *has a seizure*

But appart from Tinker. I mentioned this in another thread. A class mixing illusions (think mesmer in GW2) and divination/astrology (think astrologian in FF XIV).

I honestly kind of love this idea of an Illusionist sort of class. But it also feels pretty distant from "Warcraft", if that makes any sense.

I still personally quite like the thought of a Cosmic/Titan-themed class, but I'd be interested in how a "Mesmer" type class could potentially come about?

Perhaps it could originate from Suramar?

Battlemage, that among other stuff can conjure arcane shield and such to let them have a tank spec along side the 2 pure dps specs (one ranged and one melee based).

Therein lies the problem though; Mechs are used by Goblins and Gnomes to make up for their lack of physical strength and magical power in lore. Technology is supposed to be what evens things out for them against other races. Vulpeira actually fit into that prism because like Goblins and Gnomes they aren't overtly physically strong or attuned to magic. Their strength is their intelligence, resourcefulness, and affinity to Alchemy, which actually aligns them rather well to a technology-based class.

Orcs and Draenei on the other hand are physically powerful, and the Draenei have rather strong affinity to the Naaru, so while they do have war frames, I can see them being ignored in favor of a Tinker class more aligned for Goblins and Gnomes. It would also make development easier, because Gnomes and Mechagnomes could use the same models for their summoned tech (turrets, robot helpers, etc), and Vulpeira could use the same models as Goblin tech. The only thing Blizzard would need to do is make up some BS lore, and give those 4 races unique mech models.
    Their size certainly hasn't stopped any race from being able to choose a class that would be better suited for a different race, aside from Goblin, Gnome, and Vulpera warriors, theirs also the cases of Orc, Zandalari, and Dwarf rogues, as well as Orc Mages, and also Vulpera seem to me like they'd be more of a backline race, focusing more on supplying and healing their allies, and while Vulpera's strengths complement well with the strengths of a tinker, they still don't exactly fit together on a racial sense, along with actual technologically savvy Vulpera being in comparitively short supply, there's also the weakness in that a Junker-like mech would be more fitting of a goblin, and not so much with a vulpera, if any vulpera were to create a "mech" it'd probably look more like a combo between their totems, and caravans, giving the sense of a more shamanic type of Tinker... I actually wouldn't be opposed to that now that I think of it
    Last edited by Psykho; 2020-11-20 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I honestly kind of love this idea of an Illusionist sort of class. But it also feels pretty distant from "Warcraft", if that makes any sense.

I still personally quite like the thought of a Cosmic/Titan-themed class, but I'd be interested in how a "Mesmer" type class could potentially come about?

Perhaps it could originate from Suramar?
    Im assuming an illusion based class would probably be related to the void which could work.