Poll: Should we wipe gold?

Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    And that would be easier if everyone started at zero? Because those lazy bums would level faster, gather gold for flying and the mount faster, and actually farm faster than all the actual hardcore farmers or bots even?

I don't see that happening either.
    I don't personally think it should absolutely start at 0 but yes I do think it would be easier. To farm gold relative to prices on the AH, not to get the epic flyer faster.

If you limit the amount of gold everyone brings in, for obvious reasons it's going to take the majority of players quite a bit of time to get epic flying (which I personally believe it should).

Because the economy will basically be reset, goods on the auction house will go for a LOT less. This means that sometimes it might be good to farm mats but if that option gets too contested then it allows for dailies to be an alternative outlet for buying goods on the auction house because it is a static, guaranteed amount of gold from the very start.

If things are too pricey on the auction house from inflation, dailies no longer become a valid source of income. If it takes you a weeks worth of dailies to purchase one primal might for example, you are better off obtaining something overpriced to put on the auction house to make your money.

I could go into more detail if needed but the gist of this is

Inflation too high:

Forced to farm contested mats> No epic flyer, no competing> not allowed to purchase goods off AH to excel your character

Obviously the inflation will eventually kick in, but this allows new players to get set up in the economy so they are able to purchase goods off of the AH (like primals) because the prices will obviously be lower, because there isn't as much gold in the game yet.
    Last edited by Synical123; 2020-11-20 at 04:47 PM.

Both could be done, here. That's why we have multiple servers. If you are coming from an established classic server, nothing changes. If you're a new player, you can opt to start out on an established classic realm, and be behind the curve on gold, or go to a new players realm where players start off on a realm with no gold, just like everyone else. Over time, it won't be that way, but once it becomes an established realm, it moves out of the "new players" area. And with a copy/paste option, you can make the choice.

We've grown too accustomed to people making our minds up for us. That mind set needs to die. AND... the fix to multi-boxing needs implemented on classic and any other server to become a thing. That is one way to stop the multiboxers who screw up economies.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

How can people defend the idea of keeping gold?

There are some players who have hoarded dozens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of gold at this point. That would not only ruin the economy, and keep it from the start in the hands of few, but also completely trivialize or offer unfair advantages to those who will be immediately able to buy epic flier, full tailoring/LW sets etc.

That would be a HUGE deterrent for any new player, and there's a lot that quit classic early because of the boring end-game but would absolutely love to play tbc.

Huge NO

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Why are people acting like TBC is gonna be tacked on top of the Classic servers? That would completely destroy the point of making Classic servers in the first place...if anything TBC servers should and likely would be standalone, completely independent of Classic servers.
    Yes, I think a lot of people from this thread are gonna be "butthurt", post a lot on forums about how this is "bullshit from Blizzard" and that they "just lost a customer"; then log on on TBC launch like everyone else. But they can have this back n forth about "stealing" what they "worked hard for" if it helps them rest easy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    completely missing the point of an economy reset I see.
    Almost like they're... just .... trolling? But it worked I guess

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    Wiping gold is dumb. If you want things to be fair and balanced there's a much more fair and balanced way to do it. TBC is fresh start servers only. If you don't love TBC enough to level a character from 1 - 70, then that's fine. Stay in Classic.
    Precisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely. And the reason: an easy way to piss off your customers.

Edit:
    Further, wipe all character progression! All of it.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2020-11-20 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I get that you would be ok,i wouldnt rly care either way,but they wont do it,they wont give free character boosts in classic/tbc,the transfer option is the simplest and most authentic recreation implementation there is
    The simplest and most authentic would be turning all Classic servers to tBC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Punishing players who actually played Classic (and actually made it the success it is, despite all naysayers, which is the reason we'll also have TBC, keep that in mind) makes absolutely no sense.

Having invested a lot of time and effort into Classic, amassing some gold for my TBC needs (epic mount, etc), and having it all removed because some random Joe that didn't want to play Classic, but feels is unfair to start at a disadvantage in TBC, makes absolutely no sense.
    How is this punishing players in Classic? Are people intentionally playing Classic WoW that they dislike in order to get ahead in tBC? That sounds risky when there is zero announcements from Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Absolutely. And the reason: an easy way to piss off your customers.

Edit:
    Further, wipe all character progression! All of it.
    New servers for tBC kind of does that and is a valid option to implement tBC.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by babbi View Post
    How can people defend the idea of keeping gold?

There are some players who have hoarded dozens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of gold at this point. That would not only ruin the economy, and keep it from the start in the hands of few, but also completely trivialize or offer unfair advantages to those who will be immediately able to buy epic flier, full tailoring/LW sets etc.

That would be a HUGE deterrent for any new player, and there's a lot that quit classic early because of the boring end-game but would absolutely love to play tbc.

Huge NO
    Because it's my gold. I earned it. Of course I'm going to defend keeping it. Why would I not?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    New servers for tBC kind of does that and is a valid option to implement tBC.
    New servers have existing characters to wipe? What a novel idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gold wipe, 100% with character copy.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    Because it's my gold. I earned it. Of course I'm going to defend keeping it. Why would I not?
    You will keep it no matter what. Classic servers will be open for all.

Quote Originally Posted by ntlntl View Post
    I have 10k now, AT the end of naxx, that could be 30k.
    I want them to reduce/cap gold for the greater good. I have played enough MMO game to understand how inflation looks like. It is not fun for class that isn't made for farming.

It's like DKP reset each raid tier, the ranking is somehow intact but the overall points got reduced significantly.
    That is up to Blizzard anyways, I doubt they will wipe the gold but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    You will keep it no matter what. Classic servers will be open for all.
    You are assuming it will be a transfer over to TBC servers. That's a big assumption. I'm assuming the classic servers will just transition straight over to TBC.

You are assuming it will be a transfer over to TBC servers. That's a big assumption. I'm assuming the classic servers will just transition straight over to TBC.
    I’m assuming that no matter how we get tbc, there is going to be a classic only option. Considering they stated that was what they wanted to do from the start of all this.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Are people intentionally playing Classic WoW that they dislike in order to get ahead in tBC? That sounds risky when there is zero announcements from Blizzard.
    I think it's pretty obvious that TBC is coming, especially after the survey a while back in regards to how best to go about it. That and the massive success that was Classic.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't release a TBC.

And even if i played Classic because i like it, i probably went the extra mile in regards of leveling extra characters and farming certain amounts of gold in preparation for TBC. And i'm pretty sure i wasn't the only one doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that TBC is coming, especially after the survey a while back in regards to how best to go about it. That and the massive success that was Classic.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't release a TBC.

And even if i played Classic because i like it, i probably went the extra mile in regards of leveling extra characters and farming certain amounts of gold in preparation for TBC. And i'm pretty sure i wasn't the only one doing so.
    He wasn’t suggesting there wouldn’t be a tbc he was suggesting they never said that classic would be connected to tbc in any way

And that would be completely missing the point of Classic, which is to be a museum piece, not to be a second copy of Retail WoW running 15 years late.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    And that would be completely missing the point of Classic, which is to be a museum piece, not to be a second copy of Retail WoW running 15 years late.
    I don't know where people get this idea that classic is supposed to be a museum piece. A true museum piece wouldn't be using the Legion engine. A true museum piece would be a strict 1:1 #nochanges(he said with derision) game. No. Classic is a game that Blizzard released because people asked for it, and proved that it was something they wanted. It's for fun, not for historical preservation. Blizzard has proven that they can and will make changes to the game in the name of fun. If they decided that not enough of the player base wants to remain on classic when TBC is available, they will absolutely prioritize the TBC experience over the classic experience, which means it is conceivable that we might actually see new classic servers open up with character copies from current servers, while the current servers transition in their entirety to TBC. It's what I'd do.

No, why? Why change it from how it was originally going from vanilla into TBC. Tons of people started the game in TBC with nothing, and you didn't hear them complaining about "unfair". They farmed TBC content until they could buy what they wanted. I haven't even played Classic much (which means I have no gold), and I'm still against a gold reset for TBC.

This argument sounds more like something that belongs on retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    I haven't even played Classic that much.
    Then you obviously haven’t a clue about what’s going on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Then you obviously haven’t a clue about what’s going on right now.
    Ok so give me a "clue" then. Is everyone running around with 80 million gold like in retail?