Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    I don't wanna take my time. I want the game to set a reasonable time for the leveling process. It is Blizzard's job to design the game and my job to navigate within the boundaries they have set. It is not my job to find creative ways to make the process unnecessarily longer or harder for no reason at all.
    Well, maybe blizzard decided on a different metric then you to define "normal speed"
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Blizzard's entire strategy with WoW, ever since Cata or so, has been to rush players straight to the latest and greatest content. Hence why leveling goes at breakneck speed now, and you can even buy near-max level boosts, because Blizzard doesn't want you slogging through old content, they want you playing the newest expansion and doing the newest raid, before it gets invalidated by the next new raid.

It's just another reason why I love Classic so much: Leveling is slow and steady, and you really appreciate every single ding. Going to the class trainer on every even-numbered level to see what new skills and ranks you can get is rewarding. Getting those level 20/30/40 talents feels great. You get really invested in your character because of putting so much time into it.
    this times infinity!
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Quote Originally Posted by daisyheadmayzie View Post
    One of the problems mentioned by Blizzard was that when there were 120 levels, each level just flew by so quickly, there wasn't really any chance of trying out your abilities at a reasonable pace. The pacing was completely off. You have 120 levels, but each of them just meant so little, as levels would just be raining down from the sky. No chance for gaining a level to actually feel meaningful. And that was already the case with just the heirloom experience bonuses, before the Winds of Wisdom buff.

Check back here with what they said regarding this
    https://youtu.be/6OHDAwg-Tw4?t=899

Now they've reduced levels by more than half. Perfect time to tune the pacing of leveling. But what does the pacing look like? Levels still fly by really fast. We now have way fewer levels, and gaining a level is still trivial because you spend mere minutes on each level. Had they actually wanted to make gaining levels more meaningful, they should've increased the time it takes to gain each individual level.

It's just not possible to deny, with a leveling time of around 10 hours, even if you're taking your time, it's just way too fast. It might not be too fast for you if you hate leveling and just want to be done with it. But as far as making leveling an actually compelling experience, making the act of creating a character and taking him on a journey actually exciting, especially in regards to the new player experiencing this for the first time, it's not achieving what they claimed they wanted to do.
    So like you want leveling to be that slow? Like questing an entire zone to gain one bar of exp then moving on to next zone? I don't MIND!

I don't wanna take my time. I want the game to set a reasonable time for the leveling process. It is Blizzard's job to design the game and my job to navigate within the boundaries they have set. It is not my job to find creative ways to make the process unnecessarily longer or harder for no reason at all.
    And you are pushing those boundaries as much as possible. Blizzard designed the game. It is your personal choice to dictate the rate the levelling. You choose whether to use tools to assist your levelling process. You can choose to read every text in the quest or just speed read the objectives. Blizzard cannot direct the pace for people. Some people like speed run. Others like read every details.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Blizzard's entire strategy with WoW, ever since Cata or so, has been to rush players straight to the latest and greatest content. Hence why leveling goes at breakneck speed now, and you can even buy near-max level boosts, because Blizzard doesn't want you slogging through old content, they want you playing the newest expansion and doing the newest raid, before it gets invalidated by the next new raid.

It's just another reason why I love Classic so much: Leveling is slow and steady, and you really appreciate every single ding. Going to the class trainer on every even-numbered level to see what new skills and ranks you can get is rewarding. Getting those level 20/30/40 talents feels great. You get really invested in your character because of putting so much time into it.
    You know that feeling of satisfaction when you level up after 6-10 hours of grinding in Vanilla? That's the same feeling some of us get when dinging to level cap on a new character in a really good speedrun time.

You know that feeling of getting invested in your character? That's the same feeling some of us get when we invest in our entire account so we can try new classes or builds each patch.

You can still quest in "old" zones at max-level if you want too, you know?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Forums: leveling is too slow omg aids retail sucks

Blizz: okay, we will redesign leveling to be much faster and efficient

Forums: leveling is just too fast retail sucks

Blizzard:

Ever thought that forums might not be a hivemind, but different people with different opinions? OMG the horror, how could you post such inane stuff in that case /shudder

More on topic, I like that levelling is faster, but I think that it could use a little less speed, so that the average player should complete 5 or 6 entire zones in order to get to 50 (not including things like dungeon XP, warmode and so on which would obviously speed up the process).
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    You can still quest in "old" zones at max-level if you want too, you know?
    Yeah nobody would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bronjamin View Post
    Yeah nobody would do that.
    If they like questing as much as they implied, then they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    If they like questing as much as they implied, then they would.
    I like questing, but there's no point in questing beyond level 50.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Don’t let the speedrunners trick you, without all the tricks with objects and the “right” classes and the buffs and so on, you won’t take less than 14-15 hours to get to 50, never ever (and this only if you follow AAP or the path suggested by speedrunners).
    I've levelled a Warlock and Demon Hunter this past week using only the +17% XP buff along with the +10% WM buff and a full set of looms and both runs came in under 10 hours. Granted, I know every quest like the back of my hand, killed plenty of rare elites and didn't hang around to look at the scenery. But it's perfectly do-able if you know what you're doing and are attempting to do it pretty quickly.

However I do agree that the speed run figures being posted should come with a big disclaimer. Not only are potions used but also crafted gear too. Which is perfectly acceptable and allowed. I'm not being critical of that at all. I admire the preparation involved and focus. I struggle to remember to go turn Warmode on at Level 20 let alone change my gear on a regular basis. But I fear people are beating themselves up unnecessarily for not hitting targets that they've no chance of hitting normally.

Personally I wish I could level in a chilled out way. I get sucked into rushing and trying to do everything as quickly as possible because it used to take so god damn long to level up alts. But now it only takes around 10 hours I need to remind myself I could easily do that in 2 or 3 average play sessions and just chill out a bit more. Easier said than done. I just can't snap out of that rush-rush-rush mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    However I do agree that the speed run figures being posted should come with a big disclaimer.
    Enchanted Heirlooms.
    War Mode.
    Lesser Weapon Oil(4 vers)

That's all I level with, and I am on my 4th toon so far since the update. 9 hours almost to the minute on every one. And while that might not be crazy basement dwelling speed run time, it's still pretty fast.

So it's not really that it requires bags full of consumables or special tricks. Just follow a decently good leveling path, and don't waste time.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-11-21 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Enchanted Heirlooms.
    War Mode.
    Lesser Weapon Oil(4 vers)

That's all I level with, and I am on my 4th toon so far since the update. 9 hours almost to the minute on every one. And while that might not be crazy basement dwelling speed run time, it's still pretty fast.

So it's not really that it requires bags full of consumables or special tricks. Just follow a decently good leveling path, and don't waste time.
    It all depends on the zones I guess. I’m bored atm and I’m leveling a dwarf warrior. I’m new to alliance, never leveled an ally toon and I chose to follow the “standard flow path” in Azeroth: starting zone, the zone with Ironforge, Loch Modan, Wetlands and I am now in Arathi at level 34 or so with about 9 hours of /played. I doubt I’ll get it to 50 in less than 15 to 20 hours. Could have saved maybe one hour if I knew better the quests or two if I didn’t loot anything and waste time with vendors, but not much more.

Leveling in Shadowlands, especially through Threads of Fate, feels sluggishly slow.

Quote Originally Posted by daisyheadmayzie View Post
    It's just not possible to deny, with a leveling time of around 10 hours, even if you're taking your time, it's just way too fast. It might not be too fast for you if you hate leveling and just want to be done with it. But as far as making leveling an actually compelling experience, making the act of creating a character and taking him on a journey actually exciting, especially in regards to the new player experiencing this for the first time, it's not achieving what they claimed they wanted to do.
    I wonder if the term "levelling" should be changed to "questing". I am not sure what the problem is. If you reached the desired level in the game but wants to continue to quest, you can still do that. Nothing is stopping people from continue to quest in the zones. The bar is really a gate to slow people down from entering other areas too fast. People do not need to move to other zones once the bar is filled.

Is 10 hours too short? I agree. I personally would prefer around 20 hrs but I have not really levelled a new character from the start so I do not know how long it would take me with a new character. However, I would be using heirlooms which does make a different although their impact is less than what it was before.

leveling is fine. I could never go back to grinding to 120 like pre-SL. the only problem I really have is the bonus objectives and world quests don't really give a lot of experience. At 55, I was getting around 7-8k of experience per world quest. that's really nothing and those bonus objectives take forever to do. each tick is 1-2% in some areas for little pay off.

Leveling is so boring that it can't be fast enough.

5+ Year Old Account
    -TOO FAST
    -TOO SLOW
    -UNBLANACED
    -BALANCED
    -TIME GATET
    -TOO SHORT
    bark bark bark

I personally just wish mobs weren't so easy to kill, I wish it took more time to kill each mob, and also that they'd be more threatening. Most mobs barely take 5-10% of a players health. I guess I'd WoW to be a little bit more souls-like, although that's wishful thinking.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Kynario View Post
    I personally just wish mobs weren't so easy to kill, I wish it took more time to kill each mob, and also that they'd be more threatening. Most mobs barely take 5-10% of a players health. I guess I'd WoW to be a little bit more souls-like, although that's wishful thinking.
    Then pull more?