Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The recommendations are still the same. Wear a mask....I'm not really understanding what your goal is here. That recommendation hasn't changed.
    Those recommendations weren't based on strong evidence, as the honest ones state.

Now we have actual evidence of how masks works in the actual world - and it turns out to be a lot weaker than hoped; so we should look for better alternatives. That's how science is supposed to work - people make hypothesis and then test them, and then update their world-view based on that.

Whereas your position seems to be that isn't a big deal - regardless of whether it was the same or contradicted what was previously believed.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-11-19 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Those recommendations weren't based on strong evidence, as the honest ones state.

Now we have actual evidence of how masks works in the actual world - and it turns out to be a lot weaker than hoped; so we should look for better alternatives. That's how science is supposed to work - people make hypothesis and then test them, and then update their world-view based on that.

Whereas your position seems to be that isn't a big deal - regardless of whether it was the same or contradicted what was previously believed.
    My position is based entirely on the recommendations from the CDC and WHO. Which have not changed based on this new data.

Wearing a mask is still recommended.

Until those better alternatives come out, masks are still recommended. Or are you suggesting that until those "better alternatives" come out or are recommended that we not wear masks?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    How do you know they aren't covid positive when it can take 2 weeks + to show symptoms?
    he does not understand "dangerous actions" that can lead to criminal charges even though no one was hurt or even effected... i.e drunk driving....
    How do you think he can understand a mask mandate/law.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    he does not understand "dangerous actions" that can lead to criminal charges even though no one was hurt or even effected... i.e drunk driving....
    How do you think he can understand a mask mandate/law.
    Doesn't understand and doesn't accept them as deterministic enough are two different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is why I am genuinely stressed the fuck out and terrified about how this pandemic will continue, and even moreso for the next pandemic.
    I still think you should calm down. Idiots will be idiots, this virus will keep us occupied for years to come.
    Accept reality, accept that you cannot change the outcome and move on.

You're not doing yourself and your psyche any favors by getting so worked up.

- - - Updated - - -

Now we have actual evidence of how masks works in the actual world - and it turns out to be a lot weaker than hoped; so we should look for better alternatives.
    The better alternative would be the vaccination. We are working on that.
    Until then, we take whatever minimal positive effects masks can bring and hope we make a dent in the numbers.

It isn't ideal but it's pretty much all we can do right now.

My position is based entirely on the recommendations from the CDC and WHO. Which have not changed based on this new data.

Wearing a mask is still recommended.
    WHO does actually not directly recommend you to wear a mask.

WHO give recommendation for government recommendations, and the primary recommendation is that governments should advise the general population to wash their hands, don't touch the face, and physically distance - but if that's not possible wear masks (and still try to physically distance).

However, in the US CDC does recommend wearing face masks, but their messaging is less consistent regarding physical distancing (and they still haven't updated their language).

Clearly physical distancing (if possible) impacts the economy more than wearing a face mask, so I can see why governments prefer masks of those two, provided they are equally effective.

And it always take time for WHO and CDC to update their recommendations. What is troubling is that this study was completed months ago, but it wasn't made available (likely since the results weren't "positive") - and instead decisions relied on anecdotal evidence, and lab-studies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    The better alternative would be the vaccination. We are working on that.
    Vaccination would also be a better alternative, but it could also be that masks could be made better in some way - or it could be that something else would help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The big problem here is that the strain of the virus in South Australia appears to be one that spreads very, very fast. As in it has an incubation period of 24 hours or less.
    Some of that seems to be based on a lie.

Covid: Pizza worker's 'lie' forced South Australia lockdown
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55011790

WHO does actually not directly recommend you to wear a mask.

WHO give recommendation for government recommendations, and the primary recommendation is that governments should advise the general population to wash their hands, don't touch the face, and physically distance - but if that's not possible wear masks (and still try to physically distance).
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...w-to-use-masks

If COVID-19 is spreading in your community, stay safe by taking some simple precautions, such as physical distancing, wearing a mask, keeping rooms well ventilated, avoiding crowds, cleaning your hands, and coughing into a bent elbow or tissue. Check local advice where you live and work. Do it all!

Make wearing a mask a normal part of being around other people.

Masks should be used as part of a comprehensive strategy of measures to suppress transmission and save lives; the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection against COVID-19
    Directly from the WHO website, last updated on October 20, 2020

They recommend wearing a mask. Full stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Urinating Tree... one of the best Football humor channels on YouTube... has the rona... he gave him self the LoLCow award this week, for acting stupid in catching it. Mild case... he should be fine...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you do not personally believe that mask offers much of protection, just wear it out of common courtesy for others.

It's not a huge ask there.

You are focusing on the least important part.

That's bad if they changed their public message (but not their technical guidance) to indicate that masks are more effective - without solid evidence.

If that was done because contrary studies weren't published that's really problematic; and might have caused people to rely more on masks than other measures.

- - - Updated - - -

And Germany is celebrating the heroes (with subtitles):

You are focusing on the least important part.

That's bad if they changed their public message (but not their technical guidance) to indicate that masks are more effective - without solid evidence.

If that was done because contrary studies weren't published that's really problematic; and might have caused people to rely more on masks than other measures.

- - - Updated - - -

My one, and only point is: the guidance for wearing a mask has not changed and you should be wearing one.

At the end of the day, data by itself doesn't do anything except show evidence. It's what people decide to do with that evidence, what actions they take based on it, that matters. What action are you advocating for given this data? Should we be wearing masks or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pff if only I actually could stay at home and fight the couch monster.
    I basically go to work as if C19 wasn't a thing lol.

Pff if only I actually could stay at home and fight the couch monster.
    I basically go to work as if C19 wasn't a thing lol.
    welcome to the club.

Only thing saving me is i work alone 80% of the time overnights.

even that is getting risky when the 6-12 people come in right before i leave
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    they cost a fortune though... 10 masks cost equivalent to $40... that's a lot of money...
    god there are so many free giveaways for mask all over the world just look hard enough
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    welcome to the club.
    Only thing saving me is i work alone 80% of the time overnights.
    even that is getting risky when the 6-12 people come in right before i leave
    I work in a School (administrative work) and see tons of people each day. *shrug*

Honestly, I am not scared of C19. This bug will be here for the rest of my natural life. I won't spend the rest of my life in fear.
    Either I get it or I don't. Either I survive or I don't. Not a damn thing I get to say about it anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I am not scared of C19. This bug will be here for the rest of my natural life. I won't spend the rest of my life in fear.
    Either I get it or I don't. Either I survive or I don't. Not a damn thing I get to say about it anyway.
    Sure, ignore science, ignore common decency. Then boast about it online. That's the ticket.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

My one, and only point is: the guidance for wearing a mask has not changed and you should be wearing one.

At the end of the day, data by itself doesn't do anything except show evidence. It's what people decide to do with that evidence, what actions they take based on it, that matters. What action are you advocating for given this data?
    That we should focus on physical distancing (and look for other alternatives), and don't rely on masks.

The problem is that it will impact the economy more (and in the US would require some new stimulus bill that is unlikely to happen).

Many, including the CDC, don't like that economic impact, and thus pick not so clear evidence (masks mandates normally coincide with other measures, lab studies are not always reliable) favoring masks. CDC in part recommend masks for economic reasons and claim that:
    An economic analysis using U.S. data found that, given these effects, increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion or about 5% of gross domestic product.
    Are we seeing evidence that it is working at the moment?

What curfew? Massive crowd in Huntington Beach, CA protesting the statewide covid curfew that went into effect less than an hour ago. Live report coming up at

America's stupidity will make sure that COVID lasts longer and is more deadlier than it should ever have been.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

When is it over

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    When is it over
    Depends where you live...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi