Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Ah yes because the human brain should function differently to the point where everyone sounds like a 14 year old playing CoD just because the source material is a satirical rip on unchecked capitalism.

Nice excuse but let's face reality, CDPR is not good at character interactions. Just look at their cringey ass sex scenes in Witcher for example. They are ok at writing a few focused story based quest lines and it basically ends there. The character interactions will likely always be shit, or designed to appeal to teenagers. Not sure which of the two but either way it's bad.
    everyone? i saw mostly street childen acting like street children. some over the top super evulzz corporate directly from the over the top rpg setting, thats all. i mean, i prefer the cringy sex scenes that at least are consistent with the rest than something like alita movie's yuugo, that maybe you can like, but its so out of setting that damn, better 100 cod swearing than that polite ass face...

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    It's meant to be sleazy and over the top. I get the feeling the people who are against it are just old and bitter.
    Us old folks are less likely to be offended by obscenities, actually - unless you're talking someone who grew up pre 70's. That guy is just a wet blanket puritan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    It's meant to be sleazy and over the top.
    So is GTA but I'm not saying GTA character interactions are poorly written. You seem to be missing the point.

15+ Year Old Account
    So is GTA but I'm not saying GTA character interactions are poorly written. You seem to be missing the point.
    Do you have one? Because I'm not seeing one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Do you have one? Because I'm not seeing one at all.
    The fact you don't see a problem with lazy writing trying to appeal to teenagers being blown off with the excuse that it's "street kids" or "raunchy" then you just don't understand the difference in writing period.

Cyberpunk is written like a Saints Row game as far as character interactions are going, and well one of these is trying to intentionally do that while the other one... is just bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact you don't see a problem with lazy writing trying to appeal to teenagers being blown off with the excuse that it's "street kids" or "raunchy" then you just don't understand the difference in writing period.

Cyberpunk is written like a Saints Row game as far as character interactions are going, and well one of these is trying to intentionally do that while the other one... is just bad.
    That's the 'punk' in Cyberpunk. Just as the tech is turned up to 1000%, so too is the grime and crime. Akira had gangs of people dressed like clowns bashing people with bats and hammers from their bikes, and the government performed torturous experiments on children to utilize their psychic powers. It's not supposed to be realistic.

Maybe reserve judgement and criticism until we, you know, actually go through the game and its dialogue? Instead of random tidbits in a trailer?

Geez. At least wait till the game releases .

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    isnt like street vernacular is full of clichè and thug aggressiveness of its own sake. damn, in italian standard street swearing cant even be present because blasphemies are outlawed (but still heavily widespread)...
    Sure, but this is a fictional universe first meant to interest the player, rather than be a 1:1 reflection of reality (hence all the crazy supertech and other the top thematic gangs, among other things). To use it again, New Vegas also had a variety of gangs and low-life thugs showcased but they usually had pretty good writing around them or at least didn't make me cringe unless it was clearly intentional. Cyberpunk's showcased writing so far sounds like typical street banter turned up to 11 and filtered through what a 15 years old thinks is cool. Even Johnny Silverhand doesn't have very good lines that I've seen/heard and he's supposed to be a landmark NPC.

As I said, the proof is in the pudding, I'm playing this thing anyway. But I'm not impressed so far, is all.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

The Cyberpunk genre emerged out of a very different culture in America than our current one. The surveillance state was not nearly so highly advanced, and there was an enormous amount of cynicism regarding the possibility of improvements to capitalist society. Criminals were seen in a much more positive light than they are in 2020. So for many NPCs to be "behaving like criminals" reflects a combination of urban culture in the despairing 1970s and 1980s, when there was no hope of positive change, and fear of that culture among "upstanding citizens". Hence the Dirty Harry films for example, or Death Wish, where vigilante cops (or just vigilantes) "clean up the streets".

So Cyberpunk 2077 released in 2020 is really more about 1980 than it is about either 2020 or 2077.

If you want an attempt to update Cyberpunk for our present day, the career of Nicholas Winding Refn is a reasonable place to look. He doesn't cover technology though - his focus is on our current spiritual reality, but it's an extension of Cyberpunk sensibilities.

We're still waiting on an excellent update of the Cyberpunk genre, and while Cyberpunk 2077 might be a great game, it won't be that.

15+ Year Old Account

You still haven't laid out why this is somehow bad. I guess it's subjective, but to measure it like you're coming from an objective viewpoint seems insincere to me.

Annie Wilkes had an issue with swearing, too. Even when it was explained to her that characters who have grown up as street kids talk like street kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Sure, but this is a fictional universe first meant to interest the player, rather than be a 1:1 reflection of reality (hence all the crazy supertech and other the top thematic gangs, among other things). To use it again, New Vegas also had a variety of gangs and low-life thugs showcased but they usually had pretty good writing around them or at least didn't make me cringe unless it was clearly intentional. Cyberpunk's showcased writing so far sounds like typical street banter turned up to 11 and filtered through what a 15 years old thinks is cool. Even Johnny Silverhand doesn't have very good lines that I've seen/heard and he's supposed to be a landmark NPC.

As I said, the proof is in the pudding, I'm playing this thing anyway. But I'm not impressed so far, is all.
    frankly i dont have any knowledge about '50 america, so i took new vegas has it was. but cyberpunk is actually about a period i know (late '80) so i expect that it remains true to himself. it depicts actual street kids, and apparently cdpr let each localization to adapt to each culture (to the point russian translation is charged with additional swearing because polish text was still too polite). this and the rpg is actually over the top.

15+ Year Old Account
    I bit the bullet and preordred it at playasia cause it was 43 dollarydoos. It better not suck

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I bit the bullet and preordred it at playasia cause it was 43 dollarydoos. It better not suck
    You pretty much jinxed it.

Quote Originally Posted by video games View Post
    i bit the bullet and preordred it at playasia cause it was 43 dollarydoos. It better not suck
    jinxed.com

Just a little longer...

I think for my first 'playthrough' I'll just go with the default look for V. He looks pretty decent.

Mostly because I don't want to lose hours in the character creator only to restart a few hours later once I've gotten comfortable with the controls and mechanics.

...unless there's an option to save a custom character and use it across multiple saves, I guess.

cyberpunk is actually about a period i know (late '80)
    You're off by about 90 years dude. Unless you're not actually talking about the game.

russian translation is charged with additional swearing because polish text was still too polite
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    You're off by about 90 years dude. Unless you're not actually talking about the game.

Source?
    https://www.world-today-news.com/cd-...yberpunk-2077/

and the game was made in the 88, until you really think i can know anything about 2077...
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

See that's why I asked for source - because the part about adding MORE profanities to the russian game sounded like you made stuff up.
    And yep - you made stuff up.

and the game was made in the 88, until you really think i can know anything about 2077...
    You wrote that "cyberpunk is actually about a period i know (late '80)".
    But it isn't. It is about an unspecified future of cyberhumanity with some retro flair sprinkled scarcely here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    See that's why I asked for source - because the part about adding MORE profanities to the russian game sounded like you made stuff up.
    And yep - you made stuff up.

You wrote that "cyberpunk is actually about a period i know (late '80)".
    But it isn't. It is about an unspecified future of cyberhumanity with some retro flair sprinkled scarcely here and there.
    As for profanity, there will be plenty of it in the Russian version of Cyberpunk 2077.
    frankly thats not the link i originally read on reddit (and cant find now with the constant flood of posts), but the first i found in google. still it said what i did.

even fallout isnt in '50 (damn it goes straight to the far 2200+), still the setting is built around that culture. exactly like cyberpunk. it scream '80 from everywhere when you read the manuals....
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings