Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Dreamstate sub 30 min run on classic AQ40... but why?

Why do people push so hard in classic? I mean, the game is much more skilled in retail and a greater challenge. Now I understand why people play classic, nostalgia etc and people prefer the game as it was a little more, but I don't get the tryharding, I mean, no one really cares if you clear a 10 year old raid quicker than someone else, do they?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no one really cares. It's just to increase the challenge and push themselves to the maximum I guess, and beat the other competition. Saying that, there's a lot of rng involved as well, so it's not always down to who is best.

Because some people like to set goals for themselves and beat them to make things more interesting? I guess you never did that?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    No, no one really cares. It's just to increase the challenge and push themselves to the maximum I guess, and beat the other competition. Saying that, there's a lot of rng involved as well, so it's not always down to who is best.
    Very true, one of the big shames of MMO games

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Because some people like to set goals for themselves and beat them to make things more interesting? I guess you never did that?
    I asked a question, not to be sarcastically attacked.

The same reason why people are doing higher keys than +15? To try something harder? To set new goals?
    I know that ultimatelly makes no sense and gives you nothing. But some people likes to reach as far as possible, even if it's meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    The same reason why people are doing higher keys than +15? To try something harder? To set new goals?
    I know that ultimatelly makes no sense and gives you nothing. But some people likes to reach as far as possible, even if it's meaningless.
    But 15's kinda have an end game - MDI, if they are good enough.
    World 1st races are great for both current achievements and income.

10 year old content offers very, very little - so I'm curious on why such effort is put in for it, now so much why they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjen666 View Post
    Why do people push so hard in classic? I mean, the game is much more skilled in retail and a greater challenge. Now I understand why people play classic, nostalgia etc and people prefer the game as it was a little more, but I don't get the tryharding, I mean, no one really cares if you clear a 10 year old raid quicker than someone else, do they?
    do people care if you clear mario bros 2 2 seconds faster than someone else???
    yes its called speed running

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    do people care if you clear mario bros 2 2 seconds faster than someone else???
    yes its called speed running
    do they care?

But 15's kinda have an end game - MDI, if they are good enough.
    World 1st races are great for both current achievements and income.

10 year old content offers very, very little - so I'm curious on why such effort is put in for it, now so much why they do it.
    They do it for the achievements. Just because you are not part of a community doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some people care a lot about stuff you have never heard about. Only example you might not be particularly familiar with is extreme metal. I like black and death metal and would like to learn how to scream and growl better even though you probably would think it is just noise. And people who do +20 keys for fun certainly aren't aiming to go pro, they just like the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by xogen View Post
    They do it for the achievements. Just because you are not part of a community doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some people care a lot about stuff you have never heard about. Only example you might not be particularly familiar with is extreme metal. I like black and death metal and would like to learn how to scream and growl better even though you probably would think it is just noise. And people who do +20 keys for fun certainly aren't aiming to go pro, they just like the challenge.
    Good examples - Yes, I am mostly thinking ''who gives a damn'' about their time, I'm more interested for instance in who did it first now who can rinse and repeat something until they go a second faster (usually after seeing best tips from others) first or last baby is my motto.

But I do appreciate your examples, especially with reference to your noise, I mean music (just a jest).

Why do people on retail collect hundreds of mounts if they can use only one?
    Why are there people that speedrun 30yo mario game tying to get a 3 frames better time?

... because they can and want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Why do people on retail collect hundreds of mounts if they can use only one?
    Why are there people that speedrun 30yo mario game tying to get a 3 frames better time?

... because they can and want to?
    Why do classic players get so easily offended?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Why do classic players get so easily offended?
    ???
    What are you talking about?
    He asked simple question and i answered using simple similar examples.
    If it is that hard to understand that analogy here is explanation: there are many different people liking different stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    ???
    What are you talking about?
    He asked simple question and i answered using simple similar examples.
    If it is that hard to understand that analogy here is explanation: there are many different people liking different stuff.
    When you answer questions with questions, you lose out.

I get 'they can' but I can walk 2 steps from my door and claim it as some sort of achievement until someone walks those 2 steps faster... but no one would care, and when you set goals/achievements in games a decade old, they care factor drops again as the competition isn't there - it has moved on, so the achievement is of much lesser significance due to this. So why would people try so hard to beat an achievement that means so little.

Answering 'because they can' doesn't solve much. Someone can beat someone up and murder someone 'because they can' but people have an interest in the motivation beyond the simple side of the question.

I asked a question, not to be sarcastically attacked.
    And he answered you, and asked you a question.

You might want to put down the professional victim placard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    And he answered you, and asked you a question.

You might want to put down the professional victim placard.
    Don't trouble your brain with this one, my friend

I'm sorry OP, but... why do you care ? I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I honestly think it doesn't matter at all why players are doing what they are doing.

On the contrary, I think it's amazing that so many people are able to play games (in general) in so many different ways. Some are just here for fun, to escape reality, some are really competitive, some want to "big brain" everything and some just like the pretty colors. Why the need to find an explanation behind why people act one way or the other. It really doesn't matter to me, and it shouldn't to you, as long as it doesn't impact negatively someone else. Here, it doesn't.

People experience things in a multitude of ways. It's true with video games but it's also true for a multitude of things. Why do people tap their feet when listenning to music ? Why do people cry watching a movie ? Why do people want to earn a lot of money ? Why do people get competitive when playing sports ? Why do players want to be the best, the fastest to clear video game content ? Because people are people, and people are different from each other. They like different things, they want different things. Nobody should have to justify why they like to play a certain way and shouldn't be judged for that either.

Becuase there's literaly nothing to do in the game

they have to create their own challenges to make the game "fun"

When you answer questions with questions, you lose out.
    I do not agree.

I get 'they can' but I can walk 2 steps from my door and claim it as some sort of achievement until someone walks those 2 steps faster...
    You are right and you can also post that achievement it in the internet.
    So what is the problem?

but no one would care, and when you set goals/achievements in games a decade old, they care factor drops again as the competition isn't there - it has moved on, so the achievement is of much lesser significance due to this. So why would people try so hard to beat an achievement that means so little.
    Hmm... looks like you care... instead of just moving on...
    Personally i am not speedrunner (my guild clears AQ40 in ~2hrs) but also have nothing agaist other doing it faster.

Answering 'because they can' doesn't solve much. Someone can beat someone up and murder someone 'because they can' but people have an interest in the motivation beyond the simple side of the question.
    Solve exactly what?
    It is purely your own problem that you think they should not do it.

7+ Year Old Account
    do they care?
    Go watch Games Done Quick to see how many players care about these things.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.