LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
    Becuase there's literaly nothing to do in the game

they have to create their own challenges to make the game "fun"
    now that is a key answer. thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    I do not agree.

You are right and you can also post that achievement it in the internet.
    So what is the problem?

Hmm... looks like you care... instead of just moving on...
    Personally i am not speedrunner (my guild clears AQ40 in ~2hrs) but also have nothing agaist other doing it faster.

Solve exactly what?
    It is purely your own problem that you think they should not do it.
    I asked a question, to understand why people do these things. As you clearly like things kept simple, I will do likewise for you - the 'problem' is something that you brought into this conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Go watch Games Done Quick to see how many players care about these things.
    I'll have a look, maybe I'll change my PoV.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haiyken View Post
    I'm sorry OP, but... why do you care ? I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I honestly think it doesn't matter at all why players are doing what they are doing.

On the contrary, I think it's amazing that so many people are able to play games (in general) in so many different ways. Some are just here for fun, to escape reality, some are really competitive, some want to "big brain" everything and some just like the pretty colors. Why the need to find an explanation behind why people act one way or the other. It really doesn't matter to me, and it shouldn't to you, as long as it doesn't impact negatively someone else. Here, it doesn't.

People experience things in a multitude of ways. It's true with video games but it's also true for a multitude of things. Why do people tap their feet when listenning to music ? Why do people cry watching a movie ? Why do people want to earn a lot of money ? Why do people get competitive when playing sports ? Why do players want to be the best, the fastest to clear video game content ? Because people are people, and people are different from each other. They like different things, they want different things. Nobody should have to justify why they like to play a certain way and shouldn't be judged for that either.
    Great points - I care because I like to understand reasons behind actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjen666 View Post
    now that is a key answer. thank you.
    You've just been cherrypicking replies to your threat until you get one that satisfies your agenda.

It's kinda sad.

do they care?
    enough people care to make websites and videos and irl events about it so yes

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    You've just been cherrypicking replies to your threat until you get one that satisfies your agenda.

It's kinda sad.
    I'm pretty sure I've acknowledged every reply, thanking some, discussing some and shooting some of the silly ones down.

It's kinda sad you didn't see that, but thanks for the reply - and I'm sure you will be glad I didn't cherry pick and ignore yours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    enough people care to make websites and videos and irl events about it so yes
    someone linked that - looking at it now, a lot more people than I would have expected do indeed care about this kinda thing.

I'm pretty sure I've acknowledged every reply, thanking some, discussing some and shooting some of the silly ones down.

It's kinda sad you didn't see that, but thanks for the reply - and I'm sure you will be glad I didn't cherry pick and ignore yours.
    You've been dismissing people giving you a myriad of valid responses, but apparently the one with a negative inclination is the "key answer", you clearly have a bias you're just looking to affirm.

If you wanted to learn something, perhaps you should've contacted Dreamstate and asked them what it is that drives them to speed run AQ40.

Great points - I care because I like to understand reasons behind actions.
    Then ask the people directly. People on forums can only speculate the reasons, and can often be wrong.

FYI, the vibe you give is not one of (psychological) curiosity at all, but more one of being judgmental and dissmisive in your first post. That's why most people in this thread are quite hostile toward you. I have absolutely nothing against you, but you should be aware of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people push so hard in classic? I mean, the game is much more skilled in retail and a greater challenge. Now I understand why people play classic, nostalgia etc and people prefer the game as it was a little more, but I don't get the tryharding, I mean, no one really cares if you clear a 10 year old raid quicker than someone else, do they?
    Are people really this short-sighted? Do you not set yourself goals in life? What do you do when the content is not challenging enough? Simple! Increase the difficulty, give yourself a challenge out of a simple and easy scenario.

Think bigger friend, your scope is limiting.

*mindblown*
    -K

You've been dismissing people giving you a myriad of valid responses, but apparently the one with a negative inclination is the "key answer", you clearly have a bias you're just looking to affirm.

If you wanted to learn something, perhaps you should've contacted Dreamstate and asked them what it is that drives them to speed run AQ40.

Wow, you are clearly too invested in MY views on this.

I have replied to many with positive views and negative views - some have evidence things to go check out, which I have. Some have said silly things such as 'why do you care' as they care about my comment about caring about the achievement. baffling.

But I've stated many times, I wanted to look into the reasons behind the action, not just the action. I honestly feel you are not the person to discuss this with me, for many reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haiyken View Post
    Then ask the people directly. People on forums can only speculate the reasons, and can often be wrong.

FYI, the vibe you give is not one of (psychological) curiosity at all, but more one of being judgmental and dissmisive in your first post. That's why most people in this thread are quite hostile toward you. I have absolutely nothing against you, but you should be aware of that.
    Again, I can accept that - I am dismissive of the achievement a little (for the reasons I stated) but I have also mentioned many times to direct the discussion towards why, rather than why.

Why do people push so hard in classic? I mean, the game is much more skilled in retail and a greater challenge. Now I understand why people play classic, nostalgia etc and people prefer the game as it was a little more, but I don't get the tryharding, I mean, no one really cares if you clear a 10 year old raid quicker than someone else, do they?
    Ppl do care. Take a look at the speedrun community, ppl stil try to beat the first SuperMario game faster.

I love to watch Original Doom Speed runs or on a more modern Dark Souls speed runs.

I realy dont think is nostalgia. Classic is just a more appeling game imo, retail will never bring back a feeling of community, i havent add any new friend to my friend list since Cata Firelands. While playing Classic i have made tons.

I assume they do it cause they have a rivalry going with some other guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Are people really this short-sighted? Do you not set yourself goals in life? What do you do when the content is not challenging enough? Simple! Increase the difficulty, give yourself a challenge out of a simple and easy scenario.

Think bigger friend, your scope is limiting.

*mindblown*
    This isn't about me, my goals or challenges. I asked to try understand why people set goals like this, for example, why set a goal to 'be the fastest in the world' when the majority of the best gamers aren't even about to try.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Etna-the-Undying View Post
    Ppl do care. Take a look at the speedrun community, ppl stil try to beat the first SuperMario game faster.

I love to watch Original Doom Speed runs or on a more modern Dark Souls speed runs.

I realy dont think is nostalgia. Classic is just a more appeling game imo, retail will never bring back a feeling of community, i havent add any new friend to my friend list since Cata Firelands. While playing Classic i have made tons.
    I'd disagree that it is not so much the game, the community etc making things different, it is more the fact that the answers, cheats, how-to are all online. People are more friendly on classic because the race/achievements etc are not so relevant due to above reasons, and it has already been done many times, leaving the egos at the door and more time to focus on friendships etc. Just my opinion, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    I assume they do it cause they have a rivalry going with some other guilds.
    Possibly, yeah, would make sense.

Wow, you are clearly too invested in MY views on this.

I have replied to many with positive views and negative views - some have evidence things to go check out, which I have. Some have said silly things such as 'why do you care' as they care about my comment about caring about the achievement. baffling.

But I've stated many times, I wanted to look into the reasons behind the action, not just the action. I honestly feel you are not the person to discuss this with me, for many reasons.
    You come across as incredibly entitled, you should really retrace your steps and perhaps lose that ego of yours.

Very true, one of the big shames of MMO games

- - - Updated - - -

I asked a question, not to be sarcastically attacked.
    That's literally the reason. Set a goal for yourself and attain it. Your post seems like that's a foreign concept to you. You asked an inflammatory question and received a straight answer. Quit being a little whiney bitch.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't about me, my goals or challenges. I asked to try understand why people set goals like this, for example, why set a goal to 'be the fastest in the world' when the majority of the best gamers aren't even about to try.
    Thats kind of how life works. When things are too easy you increase the difficulty. Kind of like talking to you about this idea....

You come across as incredibly entitled, you should really retrace your steps and perhaps lose that ego of yours.
    Imagine attacking someone online, and calling them entitled.

Ok dude, you take care!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xamples88 View Post
    That's literally the reason. Set a goal for yourself and attain it. Your post seems like that's a foreign concept to you. You asked an inflammatory question and received a straight answer. Quit being a little whiney bitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats kind of how life works. When things are too easy you increase the difficulty. Kind of like talking to you about this idea....
    reported. People like you make asking questions in a forum a more daunting task. Please take your time out to grow up and progress your mind.

Please let us know when you're out of puberty so we can have a conversation that leads somewhere other than your feelings...

People like you that ask a question and then bitch because it's not the answer you want or no one is agreeing with you make forums an incredibly toxic place.

You asked why they do speed runs. We told you the same thing 5 different ways.

Apparently you can dish it out but not take it.
    Last edited by Xamples88; 2020-11-22 at 12:22 PM.

Please let us know when you're out of puberty so we can have a conversation that leads somewhere other than your feelings...
    From the user that is abusing people online just because they asked about a speed run on a 10 yr old game.

Yeah, you're coming across as the mature one here

Or to make this more familiar for you... I'll grade your work here

F - Must do better.

Apparently your angst just wants to argue online. Hope your day continues to be shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet I am not talking about you but in general and the reasoning one might want to set challenges in-game. Again its about creating your own fun/meta/challenges and not about what majority wants to do. I play games to have fun but I am competitive by nature, so I take that competition and hunger for self improvement from RL into games.

Boom bobs your uncle /thread
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Yet I am not talking about you but in general and the reasoning one might want to set challenges in-game. Again its about creating your own fun/meta/challenges and not about what majority wants to do. I play games to have fun but I am competitive by nature, so I take that competition and hunger for self improvement from RL into games.

Boom bobs your uncle /thread
    It doesn't quite work like that I'm afraid.

''I give a reply that is acceptable to me, thread is over'' hmmm, ok.

Others have already given much more insightful replies, You've added very little here.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently your angst just wants to argue online. Hope your day continues to be shit.
    At the moment, It is kinda being spent laughing at some angry kid called Xamples88 who is clearly triggered because I don't appreciate the challenge in speed running a 10 year old game. My day is good thank you, bit of chill time online before dinner. You take care, angry boy.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't quite work like that I'm afraid.

How does it not work quite like that? Please, enlighten me and tell me how it works if you are so educated on the subject (clearly not if you are asking this question @OP).

Quite frankly this whole topic is very simple to understand yet you are trying to really make it more complicated and build tension. Yes human psychology can be complicated.

Others have already given much more insightful replies, You've added very little here.
    I am not asking for your approval of my contribution to this thread. I have explained to you how some gamers might view the very thing this thread is trying to discuss, no need to get emotional and sour about my reply
    -K