In search of new desktop speakers

In search of some feedback about purchasing new speakers for my Desktop. What is your suggestions for around $100 usd that would provide the best quality for that price range.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    M-Audio BX3 would probably be a good buy in that price category.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/m_audio_bx3.htm

You can have a look through a lot of decent options here:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/active_..._monitors.html

EDIT: Stay away from anything Logitech, Altec, Creative, Trust etc. Basically any of the "gaming peripherals" manufacturers. Just crap sound quality.
    Last edited by Shakadam; 2020-11-20 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using these...

Custed me 30€ or so, no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I'm using these...

Custed me 30€ or so, no problems at all.
    I got an older model of those a couple years back and the sound is good, no complains playing music or games in general.

But they have one feature that's irritating me a bit: to save energy they are supposed to go standby after a couple minutes of not playing. Problem is, the threshold for "not doing anything" isn't silence. I play with relatively low volume and while there is action in the game all works fine, just when I idle somewhere even if there is ambience just not much of it speakers go standby.

So my toon idled in Boralus while I was doing some real life stuff for a couple minutes I get back and sound is off. The threshold to come out of standby isn't "just some noise" either, laying down a consecration will not trigger it. The threshold can't be changed in any settings.

It's only a problem if you play at low volume generally, just wanted to mention it.

Thank you for the input.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

15+ Year Old Account
    I would also generally recommend active near field monitors (as opposed to the typical "computer speakers"). I have good experience with Alesis: Alesis Elevate 4 or if you want a bit more oomph, then go for the Elevate 5.

I personally have the "M1Active 520", basically the same as the Elevate 4, but with integrated USB DAC. My brother has the Elevate 5. They have a very clear sound reproduction, for when you actually want to listen to the music the way it was intended to. Think of the difference between typical computer speakers and near field monitors as the difference between Beats headphones and Sennheiser.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    Edifier 1280T if you don't need bluetooth connectivity or 1280DB if you need bluetooth.

Powered speakers. 42 W (good for small-medium sized rooms). Bit colored speakers (which can be changed if you don't like) but overall nice lows and obviously good mid & highs.

Nothing can beat this at this price range.

- - - Updated - - -

Also please don't buy the creative or Logitech they are just bad.
    These are phenomenal if you know what you are getting. Some people who really like typical 2.1 pc speaker set ups might be disappointed though. For true audio quality and good sound, these are the way to go. For someone who wants the room to shake and doesn't care much about hearing the intricate parts of music/sound then a pair of Promedia 2.1's or Logitech z623 are a good choice on sale.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

I was in the same boat and after a long review I ended up with the Logitech Z623 set and they've been pretty amazing imo. I think they were slightly over $100 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    But they have one feature that's irritating me a bit: to save energy they are supposed to go standby after a couple minutes of not playing.
    I'm thinking in getting these ones into the living room because of that feature, i won't need to worry in turning them off. So i wanted if anyone had any experience with these...

I would get another Creative A250, because i really love these speakers, but sadly to me they already sold out.

The new ones are Creative pebble 2.1

The Pebbles arent going to be good for room-filling audio.

I have the Pebble 2.0s (the ones that are 16W instead of 8W) and they are good for what they are, which is an affordable set of speakers for a PC you’re going to sit close to.

They aren’t audiophile quality for sure, but they are very good for the price.

But if you’re at all concerned about your audio quality being anything better than ‘strictly average’, get something else.

If you’re looking for your living room, Vizio makes some excellent affordable Soundbars (again, not audiophile quality, but above average especially for the price).

I have one i paid... 99$ for that has a 2.2 setup, four inputs (HDMI, Optical, RCA, Bluetooth, and USB for playing audio o a thumb drive), and puts itself to sleep.

Its perfectly good for a medium sized living room.

This one: I think i got it on sale.

https://www.vizio.com/en/sound-bar/s-series/SB362An-F6
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-04-15 at 09:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Kagthul thanks, but i'm going to use my Creative A250 on my living room, they get disguised very well beyond the screen, and i really hate not being hable to get another of those because they really great speakers (well perhaps not that much for the subwoofer).

I got advised in getting a logitech Z313 for my computer, if not, i will find something in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by fadedmind View Post
    In search of some feedback about purchasing new speakers for my Desktop. What is your suggestions for around $100 usd that would provide the best quality for that price range.
    Get a sub. Or make sure its active speakers. Having a sub with good enough sub/treble is needed. Just makes for a richer sound...Use some OK bose speakers my self, but re-using my old sub with them and its imo much better.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO