Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Because fox are cute and cow is not ? Fox can be DH if they want to

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Ok and druids use arcane already as well.

- - - Updated - - -

And Tauren have lived near magic users for years now.
    Not really? The Night Elfs went from isolationist arcane users to isolationist non-arcane users.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Nomads don't build libraries, and the tauren had no nearby arcane civilizations to trade books with. Vulpera had permanent homes in their burrows before they were destroyed in BfA, and they lived nearby and traded with tortollian and Zandalari, who study magic.
    I like this explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by leggomydairy View Post
    I know they sound like they don’t have anything to do with each other but I was thinking here’s two shamanistic, nomadic cultures. Why does one have arcane knowledge and the other does not? The Tauren are arguably more advanced than the vulpera. So it surprises me they would be given access to two classes that I thought required more...let’s face it, intelligence, than I’d expect from them.

I thought maybe vulpera mages were more of an “elementalist” instead of mage but if even a vulpera can be a mage I feel like Tauren should be able to be mages too. Just make mage another anyone class I guess....idk why Tauren can’t be if they’re much more advanced and allied with races with arcane knowledge.

Vulpera make 0 sense to me as a mage / warlock race. If they can be those two classes then those two classes are a free for all
    Well, to be fair, the Vulpera are more like nomadic goblins. Obviously less obsessed with money but they're focused on being very pragmatic and aren't nearly as spiritual as the Tauren. Just look at how they say goodbye, "May your ancestors watch over you" vs, basically, "laters!"

7+ Year Old Account
    And Tauren have lived near magic users for years now.
    For the record I tend to agree with you, the player character is already exceptional so it's not hard to believe that one of these exceptional Tauren chose to pursue the path of a mage. That being said there is a big difference from the around ~20 years of regular interaction with Arcane users and literally countless generations of closer connection to Arcane users. For the most part classes are determined primarily by their connection to the culture of a race and simply put that takes time and more than just a generation. Of course there are a lot of exceptions so this isn't applied anywhere near evenly but, it's still probably the reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok and druids use arcane already as well.
    They do, but they don't really cast spells. They manipulate raw celestial power, which is why their arcane abilities are limited to laser beams. They can't conjure food, bind constructs, or transform objects. It's all a manifestation of their nature abilities. They get tenacity from the spirit of the bear, they get agility from the spirit of the tiger, they get arcane powers from the moonkin. It isn't that they are unable to use arcane, its that the majority of tauren haven't had exposure to organized magic for long enough to justify a playable tauren mage.

7+ Year Old Account
    By now you should know that most of the race/class combo that are not playable is just an arbitrary decision by blizzard with the false pretense of "lore"

Title. Why do the nomadic and shamanistic vulpera have access to the mage / warlock classes, but Tauren, an arguably more advanced nomadic and shamanistic race who has been allied with magic users (Elves) for years, do not? That confuses me.

Where would vulpera gain arcane knowledge?
    Tauren lack the basic intelligence needed to be mages, and lack the desire to be a warlock because of that whole "demon" thing. Also, it would mean the only thing a tauren would be barred from is Demon Hunter. That's kind of dumb. I said the same thing about Tauren Paladins, though. In my judgment, lore doesn't support it. Doesn't really support priests, either. But hey, Taurens are currently the only race capable of being all of the healers in the game, so, there's that.

So, why do vulpera have the mage and warlock class access? Because they lack druidic ability. The culture of the scavenging nomads in Vol'dun is not the same as the nature-loving tauren.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

10+ Year Old Account
    Sunwalkers are bad enough. Now you want Arcane Tauren?
    Putin khuliyo

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    you can probably shoehorn arcane magic into the tauren sun loving tree hugging culture. warlock would be a pretty hard sell though.
    Feltotem and Bloodtotem want to know your location, and ask if you'd like a side of Tauren DH with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    Tauren lack the basic intelligence needed to be mages.
    That's just flat out wrong. Tauren are incredibly intelligent. Look at Thunder Bluff. It's an engineering marvel. Great lifts, suspension bridges, and the logistics needed to get materials to BUILD an entire city from the ground up, on top of a plateau with sheer vertical cliffs, with not a tree in sight and a general unwillingness to mine or quarry. And all this without a formal education system or experience with construction. They figured out all this on the fly. That takes intelligence, and lots of it.

Vulpera probably should have been more limited to shaman, as that fits the whole tribal-nomad thing better and shaman originally was the tribal-wild-mage of the franchise. But since they are little people and they rat around in all kinds of places I guess one can somehow pretend that equates to something like a formal education in magic. I mean besides the whole "everyone of culture z can only do x but not y" being studpid in the first place, it's Blizzard that keeps pretending their hare-brained explanations matter, which they only ever do selectively if it fits their narrative. If we go by what a mage in WoW is (Heavily formalized dalaran conjurer curriculum) it makes little to no sense for them to be one.

Tauren mages are just .. I mean I don't really care, because the lore excuses are rubbish in the first place, but from classical tropes tauren usually just aren't the studious types. They should be fucking brutes.

Personally I'm in favor of dropping the pretense and just opening up classes. I wouldn't mind a druid race on horde that uses shoes and has 5 fingers for example..
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-11-23 at 08:54 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Title. Why do the nomadic and shamanistic vulpera have access to the mage / warlock classes, but Tauren, an arguably more advanced nomadic and shamanistic race who has been allied with magic users (Elves) for years, do not? That confuses me.

Where would vulpera gain arcane knowledge?
    Tauren aren't nomadic. They built their home on tall rocks to hide from pig people. That's the opposite of nomadic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    That's just flat out wrong. Tauren are incredibly intelligent. Look at Thunder Bluff. It's an engineering marvel. Great lifts, suspension bridges, and the logistics needed to get materials to BUILD an entire city from the ground up, on top of a plateau with sheer vertical cliffs, with not a tree in sight and a general unwillingness to mine or quarry. And all this without a formal education system or experience with construction. They figured out all this on the fly. That takes intelligence, and lots of it.
    They are smart but thise aren't suspension bridges. Hell I'd say they are secretly enslaving mages to operate those lifts. You see any hydro or steam power? No ropes or pulleys. Somethings going on there?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    Tauren lack the basic intelligence needed to be mages, and lack the desire to be a warlock because of that whole "demon" thing. Also, it would mean the only thing a tauren would be barred from is Demon Hunter. That's kind of dumb. I said the same thing about Tauren Paladins, though. In my judgment, lore doesn't support it. Doesn't really support priests, either. But hey, Taurens are currently the only race capable of being all of the healers in the game, so, there's that.

So, why do vulpera have the mage and warlock class access? Because they lack druidic ability. The culture of the scavenging nomads in Vol'dun is not the same as the nature-loving tauren.
    How smart does an arcane mage need to be to spam 1-1-1-1-4 all day. Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    Orcs can be Warlock, while it made absolutely no sense when it was introduced. All it takes is one new weird lore line or a retcon.
    Orcs, the OG warlocks, and they did not make sense right from the introduction of the game? This is so deep it's blowing my mind. Sarcasm overload.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Tauren aren't nomadic. They built their home on tall rocks to hide from pig people. That's the opposite of nomadic.
    They were until Warcraft III, the orcs slaughtered the centaur that kept them from settling down, and they joined the Horde in return.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    They are smart but thise aren't suspension bridges. Hell I'd say they are secretly enslaving mages to operate those lifts. You see any hydro or steam power? No ropes or pulleys. Somethings going on there?
    What mages? The only mages on the continent before World of Warcraft were in Feralas, and they were in hiding. And those lifts are powered by windmills.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Orcs had warlocks back in the original Warcraft Orcs vs Humans.
    In what world did Orc warlocks not make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I'm going to assume you played a warcraft game before WoW based on your avatar. Where are you getting it makes no sense for Orcs to be warlocks from?
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Orcs are the OG Warlocks bud, ever since WC1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    But Orcs were the original warlocks in the Warcraft games and story. It wasn't until recent that we found that there is a long history of such beings existing all over reality. No retcon or weird new line of lore here bud.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Orcs, the OG warlocks, and they did not make sense right from the introduction of the game? This is so deep it's blowing my mind. Sarcasm overload.
    Woah, who would have thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordheim View Post
    Because the New Horde was supposed to be returning to Shamanism and rejecting warlocks.

That's probably what he meant.
    Bingo. The whole basis of WC3's Orc campaign was that orcs should absolutely reject demons and don't try to harness their power as it always leads to corruption.
    Now it's perfectly fine that they decided to change that in WoW, to make Orcs more tolerant and to sometimes get a "end justify the means" mentality.
    With a backstory that even would be a good character development for Thrall. It's fine really. There is no retcon here. It also suits gameplay well, no real problem.
    It's just a bit like if, in the Return of the King, Frodo found out that instead of destroying the ring it should be wielded to fight Sauron in battle, and that he needs to be strong enough to resist its corruption. It would not have been a retcon either, but it would have been a change of theme compared to the previous two books.
    But again, it's okay, and Blizzard definitely could do a new cultural shift for Taurens if they wanted to.
    Last edited by Koward; 2020-11-23 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    Woah, who would have thought about that.

Bingo. The whole basis of WC3's Orc campaign was that orcs should absolutely reject demons and don't try to harness their power as it always leads to corruption.
    Now it's perfectly fine that they decided to change that in WoW, to make Orcs more tolerant and to sometimes get a "end justify the means" mentality.
    With a backstory that even would be a good character development for Thrall. It's fine really. There is no retcon here. It also suits gameplay well, no real problem.
    It's just a bit like if, in the Return of the King, Frodo found out that instead of destroying the ring it should be wielded to fight Sauron in battle, and that he needs to be strong enough to resist its corruption. It would not have been a retcon either, but it would have been a change of theme compared to the previous two books.
    But again, it's okay, and Blizzard definitely could do a new cultural shift for Taurens if they wanted to.
    That's literally against the ENTIRE concept of the One Ring - you simply can't wield it and not be corrupted, not even if you're a Maiar, let alone a mortal. That's not just a retcon, it's a fundamental change in the entire concept of the story.

Basically you're saying that Denethor was right all along. One of the whole points of the story is that trying to use ultimate power will directly cause your downfall, the One Ring cannot be used without corrupting its wielder.

Your example guts the narrative intent of the LotR story - it's a horrible example.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2020-11-23 at 10:26 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

That's like asking why a nomadic people in the Americas doesn't speak the language of a nomadic people on Greenland...

Hairy races should not be able to be mages, they'd just put themselves on fire the moment they cast a fire spell. I guess the vulperas excuse is that they are somehow more fire resistant, they evne have a racial for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Hairy races should not be able to be mages, they'd just put themselves on fire the moment they cast a fire spell. I guess the vulperas excuse is that they are somehow more fire resistant, they evne have a racial for it.
    Worgen? I guess they don't count.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.