Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Thank you Undertaker.

The Undertaker said his final goodbye to the WWE this week. There's few people in the industry who's had a better career and is more recognizable than the Undertaker.

At the 2020 WWE PPV Survivor Series, The Undertaker retired from wrestling. The Dead Man has been a main event attraction for three decades--a crucial component to WWE's ascendance as a global juggernaut. He is an irreplaceable attraction--a performer with a fantastical gimmick, who evolved it numerous times over 30 years to remain relevant.

In the second half of his career, he became much more than his gimmick. His in-ring work evolved into something exceptional--much more than "Undead Western Zombie" would have demanded. No longer simply a "big man," he became an incredibly well-rounded performer and backstage leader. He mentored and guided both contemporaries and younger performers and became a symbol of longevity in a business where careers end quickly and men die young.

Now, we're at the end of the road. And if this is the end--the last time we see The Undertaker in a WWE ring--then it is truly the "End of an Era" that WWE has been promoting for the past eight years.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/un.../1100-6484767/

Last edited by the game; 2020-11-23 at 08:08 AM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Who cares, they always come back, even if for one show.

How many final farewells did he have?
    I still remember that one where he put his coat and hat in the middle of the ring and left after his streak was broken at WM.. only to be back a year or so later at the WWE anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I still remember that one where he put his coat and hat in the middle of the ring and left after his streak was broken at WM.. only to be back a year or so later at the WWE anniversary.
    This would be number 3. Though judging by the interview this is it. He said he doesn't want to be a burden in the ring. It's not fair to other wrestlers or the fans. We all saw that when he fought roman reigns at Wrestlemania 33. He's physically exhausted at this point.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    You mean "The Saddest Striptease Ever"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

I legit thought he retired after burying AJ at 'Mania in the Boneyard Match. Mostly because there was that like 8 months long "Last Ride" shit that got old really fast.

Always disliked Undertaker and in recent years, every match got progressively worse. Bleh.

7+ Year Old Account
    As somebody who never watched one of these wrestling shows in the first thirty years of my life I'm trying to enjoy it right now. It's like so absurd and it's hard to wrap my mind around this cultural phenomena. lol

I usually watch UFC so I feel a big letdown when nobody actually gets demolished.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-11-23 at 07:13 PM.

I thought he retired in 1998, after he threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    As somebody who never watched one of these wrestling shows in the first thirty years of my life I'm trying to enjoy it right now. It's like so absurd and it's hard to wrap my mind around this cultural phenomena. lol

I usually watch UFC so I feel a big letdown when nobody actually gets demolished.
    I don't understand it myself. Like.. these people know that they are acting right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I don't understand it myself. Like.. these people know that they are acting right?
    Yeah and I can kind of appreciate the spectacle and the suspension of disbelief but I can't quite make it all the way to enjoying it. There are many corny things I enjoyed when I was young and I'll always enjoy it because of that but in this case some of us just "missed the boat".
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-11-23 at 10:37 PM.

I don't watch it either, but I think I understand it a bit better. It's like ballet for rednecks with lubed up men instead of skinny girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Yes, the idea that people who enjoyed pro wrestling all thought it was "real" was only something spread by those outside the fandom and the media. For the most part, fans of pro wrestling as far back as the 1930s knew it was all a performance.

Pro Wrestlers are just stunt-fighting, so to speak, using the pretense of 'fighting for championships' to execute moment-to-moment drama with outlandish personalities/characters.

Most performers nowadays openly talk about the performance and how matches are set up, go by their real name on social media, refer to their work as a performance or their 'gimmick' as the character they are playing, etc. Any semblance of trying to make the audience think what is happening is real or wrestlers are actually fighting is totally gone for the most part. It's just the same as putting on those 'fake martial arts' tournaments that are very popular or the lightsaber duels people choreograph and post videos of on the internet.

It's just presented as pure entertainment, very often goofy, with the aforementioned context they are fighting over a "championship title".
    Last edited by Fencers; 2020-11-23 at 11:49 PM.

Someone always makes a comment like this in every one of these threads. And every time I feel obligated to share this video.

It's a bit long but the TLDR is that people don't watch wrestling because they think it's "real".

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Someone always makes a comment like this in every one of these threads. And every time I feel obligated to share this video.
    I mean on the one hand that was the funniest thing I've seen in a while (and quite compelling), on the other, it's this weird mix of incestuous nepotism, naked reaching, and industry connections that kinda makes my skin crawl.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post

It's a bit long but the TLDR is that people don't watch wrestling because they think it's "real".
    I love Wrestling isn't wrestling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is he retired retired? He deserves it but the man keeps coming back.

Taker had the best intros and some of the most elaborate storylines. The Paul Bearer hologram was dope too. That man know how to keep the show going.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I always enjoyed Undertaker he made me love wrestling when I watched.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    His name is Mark Calaway... Do you call Sylvester Stallone, Rambo or Rocky?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Is he retired retired? He deserves it but the man keeps coming back.

Taker had the best intros and some of the most elaborate storylines. The Paul Bearer hologram was dope too. That man know how to keep the show going.
    It was disgusting... sorry...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Who cares, they always come back, even if for one show.
    The dude can hardly walk...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    "Undertaker vs Ted DiBiase's fake Undertaker" story.
    Brian Lee...

Edit: Never mind on RIP... live long and prosper... lol
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Coming this SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY. See the Undertakers 4th annual comeback tour only on Pay-Per-Vue's Sunday Slam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most do... but, I still find it strange that no one calls these people their actual names. Is Steve Austin that much easier to remember than Steve Williams? HHH I can understand... who the hell can spell French names, Loveque... But, Mark Calaway? Should be easy...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yeah and I can kind of appreciate the spectacle and the suspension of disbelief but I can't quite make it all the way to enjoying it. There are many corny things I enjoyed when I was young and I'll always enjoy it because of that but in this case some of us just "missed the boat".
    There is all sorts of different kind of wrestling out there... you strike me as an NJPW fan...

Here is a favorite of mine... he said... this woman will sing my entrance music... no one had the the balls to say no...

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi