Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

For my fellow Sylvanas Windrunner fans (and the haters too)....

Saw this in my feed and this sums up how many of us Sylvanas fans feel. Yes she may not be a "good guy" but the character is intriguing and makes for an interesting story development.

There is a difference between admiring the character and obsessing over the character.

I've always liked Sylvanas, primarily because she's stayed true to her character throughout the story (look at Garrosh for the literal polar opposite of this, Jaina and Varian are also good examples of characters changing a bit too much though Varian at least ended up in a good place, and Jaina did too in the end).

Because I like Sylvanas and her character, however, I feel like the ideas of trying to "save" her or "redeem" her would totally and completely ruin her character.

In order for her character to be complete with how it has been played out, she needs to die in a way that suits the choices she has made in some kind of twist. So we'll see.

PS: Was this thread really necessary? No one cares if you like Sylvanas or not. No one cares if I like Sylvanas or not. We have had a million topics about this throughout BFA, it's time to move on. I highly doubt anyone cares anymore whether Sylvanas is "morally grey" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Saw this in my feed and this sums up how many of us Sylvanas fans feel. Yes she may not be a "good guy" but the character is intriguing and makes for an interesting story development.

But she's not a good character either.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    There is a difference between admiring the character and obsessing over the character.

I've always liked Sylvanas, primarily because she's stayed true to her character throughout the story
    How so? First she cared for other undead, then she didn't.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Lmao! My thoughts exactly. I Stan for Sylvanas as well. So interested to see where her story goes after that cinematic with the Alliance's boy-king where she goes

**SPOILER ALERT**

...attempts to brokers a deal with the little Lion...
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post

I've always liked Sylvanas, primarily because she's stayed true to her character throughout the story (look at Garrosh for the literal polar opposite of this, Jaina and Varian are also good examples of characters changing a bit too much though Varian at least ended up in a good place, and Jaina did too in the end).

Because I like Sylvanas and her character, however, I feel like the ideas of trying to "save" her or "redeem" her would totally and completely ruin her character.

In order for her character to be complete with how it has been played out, she needs to die in a way that suits the choices she has made in some kind of twist. So we'll see.

PS: Was this thread really necessary? No one cares if you like Sylvanas or not. No one cares if I like Sylvanas or not. We have had a million topics about this throughout BFA, it's time to move on. I highly doubt anyone cares anymore whether Sylvanas is "morally grey" or not.
    I agree. Sorry for the double post however this was hashed out quite a bit during BfA. I am not concerned with her morally grey area. It just warms my <3 to know that other people really love her as a character as well, enough to make a post about it. Pretty cool

Peace!

Sylvanas is not a well written character though. Her "intelligence" and ability to outsmart the player and the other major NPCs, is reliant on the writers dumbing down other characters, rather than write her intelligently. She's also all over the place in terms of her opinions and actions.

Quote Originally Posted by spalernTJ View Post
    Sylvanas is not a well written character though. Her "intelligence" and ability to outsmart the player and the other major NPCs, is reliant on the writers dumbing down other characters, rather than write her intelligently. She's also all over the place in terms of her opinions and actions.
    This. That's wows problem in general, but it is so obvious in Sylvanas case.

Sylvanas is a yawnfest

Quote Originally Posted by spalernTJ View Post
    I can see why you opine on her having bad writing insofar as her character development is concerned. Ha - the scare "" for intelligence made me laugh, that is funny. Alas the writers dumbing down other characters is being done to a degree, as to bring development for some of the new characters that we're introduced to such as the Winter Queen. I agree to a minor extent with your sentiment and certainly with Sylvanas being all over the place with her actions and opinions.

Personally speaking it is her sporadic nature that draws me in. Thanks for your post.

Peace-

Its very clear that Garrosh(before MoP) and Sylvanas are both amazing characters.They have a natural attraction on stage.

Blizzard has ruined one...

Quote Originally Posted by TrueHorde View Post
    Its very clear that Garrosh(before MoP) and Sylvanas are both amazing characters.They have a natural attraction on stage.

Blizzard has ruined one...
    I assume you're referring to Sylvanas... haha. Let's wait for the first content patch to just say that she is "...ruined..." because IMO, that is a bit of a rush to judgement.

Peace-

Even if the writing is shit shes the only entertaining character left. At least she does things. Everyone else just kind of hangs around and whines.

sylvanas is by far the worst writen character among the main cast

10+ Year Old Account
    WoWs writing has never really been deep, and they attempted that with Sylvanas and failed pretty hard. She's more interesting than most of the cast, but that's not saying much, and partly only because she's been around for so long. That's also the problem though, she's been around so long they trip over their own lore with her like they do with so many other things.

There's also a big difference between people who like her because she's "the best written character" or something, and people who are basically rooting for her and such. Some people get way too into their RP and it's creepy.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2020-11-26 at 04:14 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Most people don't think she sucks because she's a dick. They think she sucks because she sucks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    Even if the writing is shit shes the only entertaining character left. At least she does things. Everyone else just kind of hangs around and whines.
    Am i the only one who sees the irony in people hanging around and whining about characters who hang around and whine?

Perhaps they made some of these characters a bit too relatable for many forum posters.
    TEA IS DOWN!

Sylvanas is what you get when you cross Joffrey Baratheon with a mary sue. Change my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    WoWs writing has never really been deep, and they attempted that with Sylvanas and failed pretty hard. She's more interesting than most of the cast, but that's not saying much, and partly only because she's been around for so long. That's also the problem though, she's been around so long they trip over their own lore with her like they do with so many other things.

There's also a big difference between people who like her because she's "the best written character" or something, and people who are basically rooting for her and such. Some people get way too into their RP and it's creepy.
    Oh I by noooo means believe she is the most well written character. Not even close to being well-written. You're spot on though. She has been around since classic and has has various roles in each different expansion pack so yes, Blizzard is certainly going to be tripping over the lore.

I am just hoping for the writing cast to do a decent job with the retroactive continuity in regards to Sylvanas' story arch in and perhaps after the Shadowlands story develops.

Good post.

I liked her fine in the early days as the leader of the Forsaken, with somewhat tenuous ties to the rest of the Horde. It's not the kind of character that appeals to me personally, but it's a fine character for that role.

It just gets a little old having xpac after xpac revolve around her, and making every other character's choices and actions a response (or lack of response) to hers.

Some players are clearly very drawn to her, other players like myself find her to be extremely boring and totally uninteresting. It's just a different flavor of Mary Sue (see: Jerk Sue, Villain Sue) that's aimed at a couple specific subsets. And that's fine to have.

I think the thing that makes her even more boring and annoying than a character like Anduin is the portion of the fanbase who stans her so hard with their own headcannon ("she did nothing wrong", "she's trying to save us all" etc), and insists that she's some fascinating, amazing character. But I think we should keep in mind that what's titillating for one player may be totally unappealing to another, and vice versa.

One of the potential strengths of an enterprise like WoW is that there's room for a variety of different types of characters with different temperaments and motivations, that can appeal to different types of players. I think it's unfortunate that the writers aren't really able to develop more of them simultaneously, in a more textured way. It always seems like there are too many cop-outs and missed opportunities, while they focus in on one character and suck all the fun out of them. It seems we're always left wondering "but what about ___? They're clearly involved in this, why didn't they do anything?"
    Love is a Battlefield

Sylvanas is not a great character though.

Quote Originally Posted by 33kamous3 View Post
    I liked her fine in the early days as the leader of the Forsaken, with somewhat tenuous ties to the rest of the Horde. It's not the kind of character that appeals to me personally, but it's a fine character for that role.

It just gets a little old having xpac after xpac revolve around her, and making every other character's choices and actions a response (or lack of response) to hers.

Some players are clearly very drawn to her, other players like myself find her to be extremely boring and totally uninteresting. It's just a different flavor of Mary Sue (see: Jerk Sue, Villain Sue) that's aimed at a couple specific subsets. And that's fine to have.

I think the thing that makes her even more boring and annoying than a character like Anduin is the portion of the fanbase who stans her so hard with their own headcannon ("she did nothing wrong", "she's trying to save us all" etc), and insists that she's some fascinating, amazing character. But I think we should keep in mind that what's titillating for one player may be totally unappealing to another, and vice versa.

One of the potential strengths of an enterprise like WoW is that there's room for a variety of different types of characters with different temperaments and motivations, that can appeal to different types of players. I think it's unfortunate that the writers aren't really able to develop more of them simultaneously, in a more textured way. It always seems like there are too many cop-outs and missed opportunities, while they focus in on one character and suck all the fun out of them. It seems we're always left wondering "but what about ___? They're clearly involved in this, why didn't they do anything?"
    Bingo! This ---->⬇⬇

As for the latter portion of your post... I personally blame Activison-Blizzard, with more blame towards Activision. Remember how long and well developed expansion packs were prior to Activision buying out Blizzard? I do. Wrath of the Lich King had an amazing story arch and great writing. Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria did as well, IMHO. I am not trying to point fingers here but I do believe that the one expansion pack per year model was adopted after the merger.

What are your thoughts on the above? Responses welcome. Great reply 33kamous3.