Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Fat bias with Kul Tiran and Proudmoore family?

OK hear me out on this one because it may take some thinking hardly to understand but it makes perfect sense to me (and you) once you see what I'm talking about.

So its no hidden fact that most Western cultures view a slender body as more attractive than one that is chubby or even fat. Yes some cultures (ie Latin or black cultures) may view certain parts of the female anatomy as more desirable (ie fuller hips or asses) but the majority of Western cultures see women who aren't "skinny" as unattractive because they are "fat". World of Warcraft is a game that primarily has been developed in a Western culture company even though the game is a globally played game reaching many different cultures. More specifically World of Warcraft is a game developed by Americans that gets a worldwide release to players but is in the end developed by an American company. No one can argue that the American culture is all about fat shaming anyone who doesn't fit into the "fit" category.

That being said, let's take a look at some interesting facts about the game. Jaina Proudmoore, Katherine Proudmoore, Daelin Proudmoore, Tandred Proudmoore, and Derek Proudmoore are all Kul Tiran not Stormwind/Lordaeron humans. Not one of them use the Kul Tiran models at all. Jaina can be excused as she has been in the game since vanilla and there were no different body model types for Kul Tiran vs Stormwind/Lordaeron humans. The rest didn't arrive in the actual game (not speaking lore but in the game itself) until BFA when the Kul Tiran had already been established. Yes I could understand a possible need or desire to have the men appear to be more fit like the Stormwind/Lordaeron human men instead of the chubby Kul Tiran men but why not have Katherine at least have the body style of a female Kul Tiran. I'm not saying they needed to go all chubby like Priscilla Ashvane since she has her own unique character model which oddly enough is chubbier than a female Kul Tiran while the leaders and offspring of the leaders of the Kul Tiran are all more slender built.

So do you think that the Proudmoore family who are Kul Tiran don't use the Kul Tiran character models because of a fat bias that the developers at Blizzard have given they have Western beliefs because of them being Americans?

Excellent thread, popcorn at the ready.

Why do people call the Kul Tirans "fat"? I'm pretty sure they were inspired by the actor of the Mountain from GoT (one of the strongest men in the world), who evidently isn't fat. Try to tell the Mountain that he's fat and let's see how many seconds he gives you to run away.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Why do people call the Kul Tirans "fat"? I'm pretty sure they were inspired by the actor of the Mountain from GoT (one of the strongest men in the world), who evidently isn't fat. Try to tell the Mountain that he's fat and let's see how many seconds he gives you to run away.
    He's a kind man, watch his documentary. He wouldn't hurt you for calling him fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    He's a kind man, watch his documentary. He wouldn't hurt you for calling him fat.
    I mean the character in GoT.

Also, Blizzard is not even trying to hide that the Kul Tirans are meant to be physically very strong, since they literally have a racial ability that lets them punch the enemy so hard that they push them away.

Physically, Kul Tirans are meant to be amongst the mightiest races in the Alliance.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-11-26 at 10:15 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    If you take a walk around Boralus, you'll also find Kul Tiran NPC's that are skinnier than the normal human player characters.

Your point is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I mean the character in GoT.

Also, Blizzard is not even trying to hide that the Kul Tirans are meant to be physically very strong, since they literally have a racial ability that lets them punch the enemy so hard that they push them away.

Physically, Kul Tirans are meant to be amongst the mightiest races in the Alliance.
    Basically human orcs. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zalatoby View Post
    If you take a walk around Boralus, you'll also find Kul Tiran NPC's that are skinnier than the normal human player characters.

Your point is invalid.
    None of the skinny or fat kul titans are important/major characters.

The point is, message blizz is giving here is that fat = bad people (Priscilla) and sexy = good people (Proudmoores).

4th day of the expansion and people are already this much bored... but i'll bite

Kultiran people sit in their fishing boats all day long, growing their ass.
    The Proudmores you listed are soldiers, warriors, sailors, obviously they develop a fit form.

Or maybe Jaina used magic to hide her fat. That's why Kalecgos left her. One day he woke up next to her and the illusion was gone.

We had Daelin Proudmoore and Jaina Proudmoore before it was established that Kul Tirans were big and burly. I think they were just tryign to continue the family trend that Proudmoores were similar in figure to Jaina.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    The point is, message blizz is giving here is that fat = bad people (Priscilla) and sexy = good people (Proudmoores).
    Nice logic. You get 10 victim points

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    OK hear me out on this one because it may take some thinking hardly to understand but it makes perfect sense to me (and you) once you see what I'm talking about.

So its no hidden fact that most Western cultures view a slender body as more attractive than one that is chubby or even fat. Yes some cultures (ie Latin or black cultures) may view certain parts of the female anatomy as more desirable (ie fuller hips or asses) but the majority of Western cultures see women who aren't "skinny" as unattractive because they are "fat". World of Warcraft is a game that primarily has been developed in a Western culture company even though the game is a globally played game reaching many different cultures. More specifically World of Warcraft is a game developed by Americans that gets a worldwide release to players but is in the end developed by an American company. No one can argue that the American culture is all about fat shaming anyone who doesn't fit into the "fit" category.

That being said, let's take a look at some interesting facts about the game. Jaina Proudmoore, Katherine Proudmoore, Daelin Proudmoore, Tandred Proudmoore, and Derek Proudmoore are all Kul Tiran not Stormwind/Lordaeron humans. Not one of them use the Kul Tiran models at all. Jaina can be excused as she has been in the game since vanilla and there were no different body model types for Kul Tiran vs Stormwind/Lordaeron humans. The rest didn't arrive in the actual game (not speaking lore but in the game itself) until BFA when the Kul Tiran had already been established. Yes I could understand a possible need or desire to have the men appear to be more fit like the Stormwind/Lordaeron human men instead of the chubby Kul Tiran men but why not have Katherine at least have the body style of a female Kul Tiran. I'm not saying they needed to go all chubby like Priscilla Ashvane since she has her own unique character model which oddly enough is chubbier than a female Kul Tiran while the leaders and offspring of the leaders of the Kul Tiran are all more slender built.

So do you think that the Proudmoore family who are Kul Tiran don't use the Kul Tiran character models because of a fat bias that the developers at Blizzard have given they have Western beliefs because of them being Americans?
    It seems very strange to expect that the family of Daelin and Jaina (both fron WC3) would have a different body type from their family, especially since Kul Tirans feature anything between skinny and fat, and the fat variety specifically has been implied to be more closely related to the Drust, which in turn are just weirder Vrykul.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

It's simple. People want to take their lore characters seriously and generally want them to be good-looking. Also Tirasians aren't biologically different from Stormwind humans. They're just another human Kingdom. They only gave them an alternate model so Blizzard could sell them as an allied race. Every Tirasian character that appeared in the lore prior to BfA also wasn't obese.

I'll bite it too, i guess
    And we dont read shit about it, right?
    That "bulky" type have some Vrykul/Drust genes in them, so are bigger than regular humans. Not that hard to understand.

Everyone's bothered by the fat, but no one's bothered by the fact Kul Tirans are like 3 meters tall despite being supposedly human? They're taller than a panda or a draenei and as tall as taurens. The suspicion they were based on a scrapped ogre race is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    You are reading too much into it, just play the game and enjoy.
    I agree it's a stretch and honestly I'm not bothered by it, but there is no denying it's actually a standard trope that good looking people are the good guys and ugly people are the bad guys. Wow is just not much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Everyone's bothered by the fat, but no one's bothered by the fact Kul Tirans are like 3 meters tall despite being supposedly human? They're taller than a panda or a draenei and as tall as taurens. The suspicion they were based on a scrapped ogre race is strong.
    This is explained in game: they are a result of interbreeding with the Drust, who were just strange Vrykul that wandered south.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

It's a celebration of size.
    Kul Tiran's come in several shapes, but when they enlist in military service only the big'uns have what it takes to become the champion dragonborn of the maw.
    Or they're just expendable and the rest get cushy desk jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Nice logic. You get 10 victim points
    Nice logic but I'm not fat. Good try though.

To me it's pretty evident they are based on the overall look of the beta/alpha footage humans.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wo...20170308192729 (image link not working)

Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-11-26 at 12:21 PM.