Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Yeah. I'm guessing that Urianger might die in 6.0, but otherwise I'm not hopeful for any actual consequences for the heroes.

Well, Hydaelyn might be gone, but it's not like that will actually have an impact on anything.

Also, I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but how is ESO now? I remember playing the open beta during 2013/2014 and I thought that the MMO questing rather mediocre. I've heard that they've since then added some more sandboxy stuff, like thieving and werewolves and vampires, but is it just mostly the same game?
    Yeah, Hydaelyn is pretty much a non-entity at this point. That she didn't appear on any of the 'popular character' lists is telling.

As for ESO, it's been improved a lot since I played at launch. There's a lot more areas to explore and everything scales so just running off in a random direction to explore works out well enough.

I don't like how much the game revolves around the cash shop for convenience and cosmetics, but in terms of giving me stuff to do out in the open world it scratches an itch that FFXIV fails to. One of the recent updates added an archaeology system and gave everybody a free large house in Skyrim. I'm curious to see what future updates bring.

I don't intend to quit FFXIV, though my partner and I have found ourselves starved of things to do in-game. So during downtime it's been better to stray to other games.

Thieving is a lot of fun - and surprisingly profitable. I play a nightblade myself since I like the thief aesthetics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I don't intend to quit FFXIV, though my partner and I have found ourselves starved of things to do in-game. So during downtime it's been better to stray to other games.
    Much better for your mental health than religiously playing one MMO into burnout, doing crap you don't find fun just because it's "sth to do" anyway.

Currently I am derping around in Factorio when Ifalna sits on the sofa and relaxes with a good book.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Much better for your mental health than religiously playing one MMO into burnout, doing crap you don't find fun just because it's "sth to do" anyway.

Currently I am derping around in Factorio when Ifalna sits on the sofa and relaxes with a good book.
    Yeah. I've accomplished most of the goals I set out to do in FFXIV, too. There's technically things I still could do but they're all very grindy and not fun to do all at once.

I think a lot of it is the story focus, too. Once we get back to characters I'm enthusiastic about I'll be more invested I suppose.

And here we go. Those towers look very Mhachi in design but i wonder if thats something do with whatever Fandaniel and Zenos are doing or the Rumbling in the Earth that caused the Terminus?

Maybe we will finally get to see what is behind that door in the Chrysalis. Maybe the door leads to Zodiark? Or it leads to the center of the star, where the source of the sound is?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, nice to see that they aren't sweeping the Limsa-Kobold thing under the rug anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

At the end of Meoni's summary of the live letter, he said that a new ShB role quest is being added, which you can do once you have finished the four questlines and the fifth bonus quest after doing the four, and it will require you to have completed the Warring Triad questline.

Are they remembering that Unukalhai exists? 5.3 did him dirty. I wonder what they will do with him now that he missed the big event.

Maybe we will finally get to see what is behind that door in the Chrysalis. Maybe the door leads to Zodiark? Or it leads to the center of the star, where the source of the sound is?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, nice to see that they aren't sweeping the Limsa-Kobold thing under the rug anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

At the end of Meoni's summary of the live letter, he said that a new ShB role quest is being added, which you can do once you have finished the four questlines and the fifth bonus quest after doing the four, and it will require you to have completed the Warring Triad questline.

Are they remembering that Unukalhai exists? 5.3 did him dirty. I wonder what they will do with him now that he missed the big event.
    I was so disappointed they left out Unukalhai. But I think I can guess what the quest will be. Why Elidibus saved him. And the reason? Because Unukalhai was a small child trying to carry the unimaginable burden of saving his world and people from destruction. Only to fail. Just like Elidibus. Elidibus must surely have empathized with Unukalhai's situation. Not the least of which because he and his fellow paragons were the primary reason Unukalhai's world was destroyed in the first place.

Yeah. I'm guessing that Urianger might die in 6.0, but otherwise I'm not hopeful for any actual consequences for the heroes.

Well, Hydaelyn might be gone, but it's not like that will actually have an impact on anything.
    That's a bit random. Why Urianger of all people? And Hydaelyn is still around though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Yeah, Hydaelyn is pretty much a non-entity at this point. That she didn't appear on any of the 'popular character' lists is telling.
    I'm pretty sure that both Hydaelyn and Zodiark will play big roles in 6.0. They didn't introduce Venat just to forget about her.

- - - Updated - - -

They actually changed his lines in both 5.0 and 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    That's a bit random. Why Urianger of all people? And Hydaelyn is still around though.
    Urianger is the most expendable of the main cast.
    • Alphinaud is the pretty much the main character of FFXIV after the WoL. Good chance of him being our adventuring buddies in further adventures after 6.0.
    • Alisae is an adventuring buddy, also is treated as a waifu as of 5.0, and waifus are seldom ever killed off.
    • Y'shtola has been treated as the poster girl for FFXIV, is very popular, has also been waifu-ized, so she won't die.
    • G'raha Tia already had a climatic "death scene". Killing him in 6.0 after 5.3 would receive a lot of backlash for milking. He's also too popular, has been husbando-ed.

That just leaves Thancred and Urianger. Thancred is more popular than Urianger, and is in a good position to peacefully retire his character after 6.0. Or he could be brought back for further adventures.

Urianger, on the other hand, doesn't have much going for him once the story ends. He is unlikely to go adventuring with the player after 6.0, and killing him off won't cause backlash. So if anyone dies in 6.0, it'll be him (and maybe Gaius).

And Hydaelyn is still around though.
    Hydaelyn is a loose end and the writers probably don't want to write around her going forward. She's been oddly used; she regularly contacted the player in 2.0, but fell off of the map after that and the writers kept having to contrive reasons to justify why she wasn't involved as she should have been. "Oh, she doesn't have enough power to talk to us!". They've even used Hydaelyn to get rid of characters the writers found no use for, such as Minfillia. I think the FFXIV team wants to move past the Hydaelyn-Zodiark stuff to new, fresh territory after 6.0, so she's going to get axed. Not like it matters anyway since, again, no one cares about her as a character. They've already teased that she might get axed as of the 5.0 ending.

They actually changed his lines in both 5.0 and 5.3
    Hardly makes up for missing the big event with the one character his story revolved around.

- - - Updated - - -

I think 6.0 will be focused on fixing the source of the sound. Already in 5.2 and 5.3, the Scions have been hearing the sound, and in 4.5 Matoya's magics were shorting out. I think the source of the sound will get worse. The Scions will go to Sharlayan (might be the next big city) and we will get a story about Sharlayan breaking out of their self isolationism and trying to help.

Meanwhile, Garlemald will be a subplot, as it seems the defeat of the Empire is being handled offscreen in the MSQ and in side content like Ivalice/Bozja and Werlyt. If Gaius survives the Werlyt questline, then either he will take over what remains of Garlemald, or he will die and some other little known/newly introduced Garlean (like Maximus) will take over what remains of Garlemald.

Zenos/Fandaniel fully bring about the Final Days and an apocalypse occurs across Aldenard (maybe all of the Source?). The WoL faces Zenos in a 1 vs 1 duel and loses. Zenos and Fandaniel retreat to the last zone, which will either be the center of the planet, where the Source of the Sound and the Lifestream are, or they go to the Moon where Zodiark's essence is. Scions and WoL follow them and beat them. Then they fix the Source of the Sound (I don't think it's going to be the final boss). Hydaelyn either dies protecting the WoL from Zenos and/or Zodiark, or dies undoing the Source of the Sound, or something. Somewhere in here Urianger dies.

Post patch content involves rebuilding Garlemald. Future expansions are self contained adventures with new casts going to new lands.

10+ Year Old Account
    His use of the English language is the most fun, so I disagree here.
    Take Thancred. Dude should have died during MSQ anyway.

• Alphinaud is the pretty much the main character of FFXIV after the WoL. Good chance of him being our adventuring buddies in further adventures after 6.0.
    • Alisae is an adventuring buddy, also is treated as a waifu as of 5.0, and waifus are seldom ever killed off.
    • Y'shtola has been treated as the poster girl for FFXIV, is very popular, has also been waifu-ized, so she won't die.
    • G'raha Tia already had a climatic "death scene". Killing him in 6.0 after 5.3 would receive a lot of backlash for milking. He's also too popular, has been husbando-ed.
    Urianger is pretty smart though. We're definitelly going to need him when we eventually go to Sharlayan.

That just leaves Thancred and Urianger. Thancred is more popular than Urianger, and is in a good position to peacefully retire his character after 6.0. Or he could be brought back for further adventures.

Urianger, on the other hand, doesn't have much going for him once the story ends. He is unlikely to go adventuring with the player after 6.0, and killing him off won't cause backlash. So if anyone dies in 6.0, it'll be him (and maybe Gaius).
    I honestly don't think anyone should die anyway.

Hydaelyn is a loose end and the writers probably don't want to write around her going forward. She's been oddly used; she regularly contacted the player in 2.0, but fell off of the map after that and the writers kept having to contrive reasons to justify why she wasn't involved as she should have been. "Oh, she doesn't have enough power to talk to us!". They've even used Hydaelyn to get rid of characters the writers found no use for, such as Minfillia. I think the FFXIV team wants to move past the Hydaelyn-Zodiark stuff to new, fresh territory after 6.0, so she's going to get axed. Not like it matters anyway since, again, no one cares about her as a character. They've already teased that she might get axed as of the 5.0 ending.
    But this whole past expansion was based on the events caused by Hydaelyn. The Sundering and the Ascians motivations because of it.

And tbh before ShB the Ascians were kinda the same. Appear here and there, more like sunday morning cartoon villains than proper ones, but then ShB happened and it remedied all that.

I think 6.0 will be focused on fixing the source of the sound. Already in 5.2 and 5.3, the Scions have been hearing the sound, and in 4.5 Matoya's magics were shorting out. I think the source of the sound will get worse. The Scions will go to Sharlayan (might be the next big city) and we will get a story about Sharlayan breaking out of their self isolationism and trying to help.
    Wait, when did that happen? Cause now I'm confused.

Afaik 6.0 will be the end of the Zodiark/Hydaelyn plot. I don't think the sound will get fixed that soon. Especially since the Amaurotines couldn't do it it seems weird that we'd be able to. I think that plot will take a few expansions to solve just like the Zodiark/Hydaelyn plot has.

Zenos/Fandaniel fully bring about the Final Days and an apocalypse occurs across Aldenard (maybe all of the Source?). The WoL faces Zenos in a 1 vs 1 duel and loses. Zenos and Fandaniel retreat to the last zone, which will either be the center of the planet, where the Source of the Sound and the Lifestream are, or they go to the Moon where Zodiark's essence is. Scions and WoL follow them and beat them. Then they fix the Source of the Sound (I don't think it's going to be the final boss). Hydaelyn either dies protecting the WoL from Zenos and/or Zodiark, or dies undoing the Source of the Sound, or something. Somewhere in here Urianger dies.
    I honestly hope that Zenos trying to merge with Zodiark will make Zodiark squash him like the little bug he is. And maybe we get to fight a weakened Zodiark with the help of Hydaelyn and after Zodiark is gone she will fade away because, her purpose being to serve as his shackles is no longer needed, and because of the lack of aether which will eventually get used up to help us fight him.

But tbh the devs will think of something else entirely.

Also, not sure how with Hydaelyn gone the shards will be affected. There's simply no way there's gonna be a mass rejoining for gameplay reasons.

Also, the source of the sound should also be shattered like everything else so it's probably dormant aswell. But maybe with Zodiark gone it will regain its power somehow?

People seem to speculate it's either Jenova or a big bad from Chrono Trigger (forgot the name).

That would be Lavos. =) And I much rather would have had a Chrono Trigger crossover than Nier.
    Afaik 6.0 will be the end of the Zodiark/Hydaelyn plot. I don't think the sound will get fixed that soon. Especially since the Amaurotines couldn't do it it seems weird that we'd be able to. I think that plot will take a few expansions to solve just like the Zodiark/Hydaelyn plot has.
    Amaurotines couldn't invent a time machine either when Graha did. Which is pretty surprising considering I suspect not even Allag tech is an even match for the ancients'. But my point is, just because the ancients couldn't do it doesn't mean we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    That would be Lavos. =) And I much rather would have had a Chrono Trigger crossover than Nier.

Amaurotines couldn't invent a time machine either when Graha did. Which is pretty surprising considering I suspect not even Allag tech is an even match for the ancients'. But my point is, just because the ancients couldn't do it doesn't mean we can't.
    That's true however I still think it would be too early. I hope they build it up a bit before we tackle it. In the meantime we could go to Sharlayan, fully explore Ilsabard and hopefully go south to Meracydia? Though that could just be a wasteland if the Allagans glassed it. There's an island east of Shirogane and small islands between Aldenard and Othard like Thavnair. We could get an island hoping expansion. There's also the "New World" but I'm not sure what that is exactly.

Wait, when did that happen? Cause now I'm confused.
    Here.

- - - Updated - - -

The Sound is going to be dealt with in 6.0. It's return was already imminent before Zenos decided "I'm going to reenact the Final Days". And Fandaniel is almost certainly the Convocation member who was twisted by the Sound during the summoning of Zodiark, as per the Ascian stones you pick up in 5.3. Resolving the Sound goes hand in hand with Zodiark and Hydaelyn.

Out of the Loop: Apparently I've completely missed something since I haven't been playing much of Shadowbringers due to time constraints. What's "the sound" again? Did I miss some overarching part of the MSQ somehow?
    FFXIV: Zelliaind Rageborne - "FC Daddy" of Log Horizon <Lv??> on US-Leviathan
    FFXIV: Nihzoh'sae Grimwolfe - Co-Lead of Crimson Lotus Rebirth <_Ryu_> on US-Malboro

Quote Originally Posted by Zelliaind View Post
    Out of the Loop: Apparently I've completely missed something since I haven't been playing much of Shadowbringers due to time constraints. What's "the sound" again? Did I miss some overarching part of the MSQ somehow?
    5.0 MSQ ending
    Spoiler: 

Everything was peaceful until the Ancients started hearing a "Sound" from beneath the center of the earth, a sickness of the planet. The Sound distorted the creation magics that the Ancients wielded, eventually resulting the Final Days as their magics spun out of control. In a last ditch attempt to save themselves, the surviving Ancients sacrificed half of what remained of themselves to summon Zodiark, which rewrote the laws of reality on the planet to prevent the use of creation magics. But the Source of the Sound was not fixed and as of 4.5 it's starting to come back again, which magic going haywire. Worse, is that the Sundering of the planet into 14 pieces hasn't stopped the Sound, as in 5.2 the Scions are hearing the Sound even while on another shard.

In 5.3 we found out that during the summoning of Zodiark, one of the convocation members apparently got screwed up, probably by the Sound. Said convocation member is almost certainly Fandaniel. Zenos wants to recreate the Final Days, and he's now working with Fandaniel. It seems pretty obvious that 6.0 is going to culminate in us confronting the Source of the Sound.

One of the reported trademark names for the 6.0 FFXIV expansion is "Forspoken", which means to curse or enchant or bewitch something or someone. That'd line up with 6.0 being about the Sound and its effect on the planet. It's even addressed as a sickness by Lahabrea in 2.0.

5.0 MSQ ending
    Spoiler: 

Everything was peaceful until the Ancients started hearing a "Sound" from beneath the center of the earth, a sickness of the planet. The Sound distorted the creation magics that the Ancients wielded, eventually resulting the Final Days as their magics spun out of control. In a last ditch attempt to save themselves, the surviving Ancients sacrificed half of what remained of themselves to summon Zodiark, which rewrote the laws of reality on the planet to prevent the use of creation magics. But the Source of the Sound was not fixed and as of 4.5 it's starting to come back again, which magic going haywire. Worse, is that the Sundering of the planet into 14 pieces hasn't stopped the Sound, as in 5.2 the Scions are hearing the Sound even while on another shard.

In 5.3 we found out that during the summoning of Zodiark, one of the convocation members apparently got screwed up, probably by the Sound. Said convocation member is almost certainly Fandaniel. Zenos wants to recreate the Final Days, and he's now working with Fandaniel. It seems pretty obvious that 6.0 is going to culminate in us confronting the Source of the Sound.

One of the reported trademark names for the 6.0 FFXIV expansion is "Forspoken", which means to curse or enchant or bewitch something or someone. That'd line up with 6.0 being about the Sound and its effect on the planet. It's even addressed as a sickness by Lahabrea in 2.0.

Yet ha ha bread accuses Hyda as being the root of it rather than the sound.

One day left. Pretty hyped. Mostly about the Eden finale though, since the MSQ is an entry to a new chapter I'm leaving it for last. Still though, can't wait to see where it leads.

24hour maintenance tomorrow though.

I logged off inside my house so I can preview the new furniture...

After that, I'll tackle the MSQ's, then Eden and lastly the new trial. Cyberpunk will be distracting me not long after the patch itself, though I'll be back to check out the new Ishgard and Bozja stuff.

I might have a static this time around.
    So my unlimited amounts of wipes on Shiva/Raid endbosses might come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I might have a static this time around.
    So my unlimited amounts of wipes on Shiva/Raid endbosses might come to an end.
    hehe - you might be surprised Week 1 pugs are some of the best players I've played with in Savage. better than my static, but we also have a pretty solid static this time, except I have a new co-tank, but he's also 95%+ so this should be a good tier for us.