Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Stellaris vs No Man's Sky - Advice

Looking to pick up a new game to sink some time into. Previous large-chunks-of-time sinks include:
    World of Warcraft (years)
    Civilization V (thousands of hours)
    Don't Starve (hundreds of hours)

Looking for advice/suggestions on which one to grab. I know the obvious answer is "both" - but I'd rather deep dive into one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm.. there are some other games that are better time wasters.

X4 foundations (space game)
    Satisfactory (build a factory on alien planet)
    Dragon quest builders 2 (if you like a bit of rpg)
    Staxel (farm simulator, very chill)
    Rust (if you want to pvp and also waste a lot of time)
    Endernal forgoten storys (if you want to do a bit harder skyrim)
    18+*A game that should not be named, but it last for hours and doesnt need online*

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

18+*A game that should not be named, but it last for hours and doesnt need online*
    I'm primarily interested in a spaced-based game. I will look at X4 and Satisfactory - thank you for those recommendations.

(lol re 18+)

10+ Year Old Account
    Stellaris runs like shit ever since they updated the population system even on fairly beefy systems, unless you're content with only playing the first ~150 years or so, or going back to a patch before 2.2, you'll have an infinitely better experience with No Man's sky.

I mean, they are very different games and so hard to compare.

But i myself have played a lot of Stellaris, it's a great 4X game although a bit pricey with all the DLCs. I could never get into No Mans Sky because i hate the UI and everything is so samey on every planet. I would need a stronger story to motivate me to play more if it.

Stellaris is amazing and you can easily play that for hundreds if not thousand of hours if you get hooked.

But have not played it in some time so perhaps performance is worse now like someone said.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Everyone has their favorites.
    But - you don't have to buy no man's sky. It's available on xbox game pass. So try it out there first

I remember I wanted to buy it for some time, I tried it on the game pass and I'm happy I never bought it, because it turned out to be very grindy and boring to me.

Edit: Just noticed Stellaris is available on the game pass as well. Pretty much no-brainer to me - try both for a few bucks (as well as couple of other games- Astroneer, Subnautica, FTL, Endless space 2, Battletech) and then decide
    Last edited by procne; 2020-11-27 at 09:35 AM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Looking to pick up a new game to sink some time into. Previous large-chunks-of-time sinks include:

Looking for advice/suggestions on which one to grab. I know the obvious answer is "both" - but I'd rather deep dive into one.
    If you like diablo like games but want one thats actualy good,try grim dawn,its a mix of diablo 2 and path of exile

I've squeezed 50 hours out of No Mans Sky, but 900 hours out of Stellaris. I think Stellaris is the better game to "deep-dive" into, but ultimately it depends on what type of game you like as they play very differently.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.

Stellaris. I have every DLC, so if you need to test drive anything, let me know.

No mans sky is on the PC xbox game pass. Costs $1 to try it for a month.

15+ Year Old Account
    Elite Dangerous if you like sim flight and just general space fairing. Very relaxing game and easy to get into.

No offense, OP, but those are wildly different games, hard to recommend something so far away from each other.

One is pure 4X strategy, the other is first person rpg/shooter/action game.

So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. More action - NMS, wanna eat/exterminate/use as batteries/elevate as gods/befriend/betray few billion xenos (literally) - Stellaris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

None of those come ven close to Stellaris.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I've squeezed 50 hours out of No Mans Sky, but 900 hours out of Stellaris. I think Stellaris is the better game to "deep-dive" into, but ultimately it depends on what type of game you like as they play very differently.
    Did you ever play Eve Online? And if so, how did that compare with Stellaris?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Stellaris. I have every DLC, so if you need to test drive anything, let me know.
    I appreciate the offer - I'm finally sitting down with some free time to take up one of these. I jumped on Eve Online for a few hours. The start is a bit brutal. Did you ever play it?

Did you ever play Eve Online? And if so, how did that compare with Stellaris?
    I did for a few months many years ago, but it wasn't really for me. It didn't have the kind of depth that I was looking for, and it being an a paid MMO meant shelling out money and investing time in a way I didn't like. If you like grand strategy games, like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron or Civilization then you'll likely enjoy Stellaris as well.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I did for a few months many years ago, but it wasn't really for me. It didn't have the kind of depth that I was looking for, and it being an a paid MMO meant shelling out money and investing time in a way I didn't like. If you like grand strategy games, like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron or Civilization then you'll likely enjoy Stellaris as well.
    Excellent - thank you. I jumped on Eve for a few hours and it just isn't pulling me back. And I loved Civilization.

I think I'm headed for Stellaris.

If you loved Civilization I should point out that Stellaris is real time not turn based.You could technically pause the game constantly but...well you see the deal.

For some people there's no difference but for people like me...it does.

A good space 4x game turn based is Endless Space 2. Give it a look if you feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    If you loved Civilization I should point out that Stellaris is real time not turn based.You could technically pause the game constantly but...well you see the deal.

A good space 4x game turn based is Endless Space 2. Give it a look if you feel like it.
    I'd also add Galactic Civilizations 3 if you want something space-related that is also turn-based.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post

I will take a look at it. I "grew up" playing WoW, 10+ years before I had to hang it up for kids/family. So real time is fine with me - I just also liked the turn based games. I might just give them all a try.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also add Galactic Civilizations 3 if you want something space-related that is also turn-based.
    I'll look at that one, too.

I started Eve Online and it was really interesting, but frustrating as well. I had to watch a couple of tutorials to get through the intro.