So the Lions and Cowboys both got embarrassed today, 41 - 25 and 41 - 16, respectively. When is the NFL going to wise up and stop giving these two teams the Thanksgiving games every year?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    From the rumors, they absolutely were in violation. Apparently a trainer was symptomatic and didn't tell anyone. Not sure why they aren't part of the daily tests, or maybe they had false negatives.

This game is really gonna screw up things considering it has huge playoff implications.
    Lamar Jackson just tested positive for COVID and will miss the game against the Steelers, and likely miss the game next Thursday against the Cowboys.

The Ravens say they have "disciplined" the strength and conditioning coach who didn't tell anyone about his symptoms and wasn't wearing a mask. He doesn't need to be disciplined, he needs to be fired.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Aaron Rodgers should have easily been the run away winner of the debate of "Best QB ever." That he is, at best, 3rd behind Brady and Peyton, and maybe even 4th if you consider Brees's workmanship output, is because of McCarthy.

McCarthy is not a good coach (at least in the modern NFL). Even before Dak was hurt, the Cowboys offense was frustratingly misused.
    And he's gonna stay there, with some folks even going so far as to put Favre ahead of him, because the front office just refuses to commit to a Super Bowl window.

Anyway, 4 more folks in the Ravens test positive, including Lamar Jackson. I see a 0% chance this game gets played, and at this point it definitely should count as a Ravens L.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The following head coaches should be fired by the end of the season:
    - Adam Gase
    - Doug Marrone
    - Matt Patricia
    - Mike McCarthy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    - Adam Gase
    - Doug Marrone
    - Matt Patricia
    - Mike McCarthy
    MM isn't going anywhere. 1st year head coach in the middle of a pandemic which wiped away any prep time combined with excessive injuries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaron Rodgers should have easily been the run away winner of the debate of "Best QB ever." That he is, at best, 3rd behind Brady and Peyton, and maybe even 4th if you consider Brees's workmanship output, is because of McCarthy.

McCarthy is not a good coach (at least in the modern NFL). Even before Dak was hurt, the Cowboys offense was frustratingly misused.
    This, essentially. Rodgers would have multiple rings with an above average coach. I don't think he should get any credit for developing Rodgers. He was Farve's backup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    - Adam Gase
    - Doug Marrone
    - Matt Patricia
    - Mike McCarthy
    The only one that might survive is McCarthy because Dallas usually is too loyal and there's plenty of "external factors" for this bad season.

Another coach I'd watch is Anthony Lynn if the Chargers don't get their shit together.

- - - Updated - - -

This, essentially. Rodgers would have multiple rings with an above average coach. I don't think he should get any credit for developing Rodgers. He was Farve's backup.
    People forget that Rodgers was in a legit competition for the #1 overall pick that season, too. This isn't like they drafted him on Day 3 and he sat for 4 years and then took the league by storm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah theres no way McCarthy gets fired his first season. Too many variables plus the candidate pool will be pretty shallow this year. JJ kept Garrett 2-3 years beyond what he should have. Only way JJ fires McCarthy before 5 seasons is if he loses the locker room in a normal season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah theres no way McCarthy gets fired his first season. Too many variables plus the candidate pool will be pretty shallow this year. JJ kept Garrett 2-3 years beyond what he should have. Only way JJ fires McCarthy before 5 seasons is if he loses the locker room in a normal season.
    I will, though, say I see no world where Nolan survives as their DC. He's gonna be the scapegoat for this season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I will, though, say I see no world where Nolan survives as their DC. He's gonna be the scapegoat for this season.
    Hard to say with coordinators this year. I do think that it will be a pretty underwhelming black monday this year. Most the HCs on the chopping block shoulda been gone last season, besides Anthony Lynn. I want to say hes gone this year for handling the Herbert situation, but who knows... Its the Chargers. Might be the team I follow least.

Yes he is. He is the one who developed Rodgers fpor the NFL by rebuilding Rodgers mechanics and getting him away from the Tedford mechanics that derailed many other QB's. He also managed to make Matt Flynn look far better than he really was. He went to the playoffs 9 straight seasons, 4 NFC Title games, and a Super Bowl win. Over 100 wins. As for Dallas, the offense wasn't the problem when Dak was there. They were putting up plenty of points. The problem was and is the defense. Mike Nolan is a terrible Defensive Coordinator. As it is, McCarthy installed a completely new offense. There are going to be struggles and at times it isn't going to look good simply because the players are trying to learn what to do. Hell, the Packers struggled in McCarthy's first year in Green Bay even though they had Brett Favre and were using the same offensive system the year before.

To call McCarthy a bad coach is to be dishonest. To write him off after just 10 games in Dallas when he is trying to install a completely new system on offense is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    He is no scapegoat. His defense is terrible and it is the reason for a number of their losses. He earned a big share of the blame and his dismissal would be earned.

- - - Updated - - -

Being Favre's backup hardly did anything. McCarthy gets credit for developing Rodgers because he did. Even Rodgers admits that he wouldn't be where he is today without the development he got from McCarthy. McCarthy used to have his "QB School" where all the QB's were taught and drilled in the offense. That is where McCarthy completely rebuilt Rodgers mechanics to get him away from the Jeff Tedford style of throwing which is a massive handicap in the NFL. He also drilled into Rodgers and all of his QB's ball protection. He even managed to reduce Favre's bonehead plays and Ints.

The reason Rodgers only has one ring is the GM, not the coach. That GM refused to use free agency and made a slew of draft picks that were busts. It was a talent issue, not a coach issue.

McCarthy absolutely does get credit for Rodgers development because he did in fact develop Rodgers. To say he is only great because he was Favre's backup is giving Favre credit he never earned. Fave didn't so squat for Rodgers and even publicly stated he wouldn't.

15+ Year Old Account
    One obvious thing you can credit to being Favre's backup was Rodger's learning to take advantage of offsides snaps knowing it's a free play. Favre was the best at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    One obvious thing you can credit to being Favre's backup was Rodger's learning to take advantage of offsides snaps knowing it's a free play. Favre was the best at it.
    He didn't need Favre to know that. That isn't a state secret. Every QB knows that.

Being the backup to a really good starter actually does the opposite of what a lot of fans think for QB development. The starters won't help the backup with anything, and won't give up reps during the season. If anything, it is bad for development.

McCarthy is probably a good QB coach, but he isn't a good play caller. No idea on head coach, that is more about managing your other coaches than actually coaching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    He didn't need Favre to know that. That isn't a state secret. Every QB knows that.
    Difference between knowing it’s a thing and being able to do it by knowing what to watch for and putting it into action while shits hectic, or every qb would do it. (Few do.)
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2020-11-27 at 06:38 PM.
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Knowing it’s a thing and being able to watch for and recognize it is not the same or every qb could do it.
    There is nothing to recognize. All QB's use a hard count. if a defensive player jumps, snap the ball.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Being the backup to a really good starter actually does the opposite of what a lot of fans think for QB development. The starters won't help the backup with anything, and won't give up reps during the season. If anything, it is bad for development.

McCarthy is probably a good QB coach, but he isn't a good play caller. No idea on head coach, that is more about managing your other coaches than actually coaching.
    Isn't a good play caller? He had some of best offenses in the league in Green Bay. His first few seasons when he had his best OL he was one of the best play callers, including the Super Bowl season. You don't go to 9 straight playoffs, 4 NFC Title games and a Super Bowl if you are bad at your job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Just because they don’t go out of their way to teach them doesn’t mean the backup can’t learn from them. And the histories of great qbs who sat a year+ vs great qbs who started from the beginning is not on your side. Only Wilson comes to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

There is nothing to recognize. All QB's use a hard count. if a defensive player jumps, snap the ball.
    Sure. That’s all it is. The fact only like 5 active qbs manage to do it is because the rest don’t want to.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2020-11-27 at 06:49 PM.

Just because they don’t go out of their way to teach them doesn’t mean the backup can’t learn from them. And the histories of great qbs who sat a year+ vs great qbs who started from the beginning is not on your side. Only Wilson comes to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. That’s all it is. The fact only like 5 active qbs manage to do it is because the rest don’t want to.
    No, it's because they are told not to or don't have a good enough hard count to draw anyone offsides. Again, there is nothing to recognize. IF you have a good ard count, you use it. If not, you don't.

Never said anything about sitting vs not sitting. I said sitting behind a really good QB doesn't help at all.

Even then, Mahomes is the only one to sit his full rookie year and have any success since the rule changes. Everyone else took over at some point in their rookie season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't a good play caller? He had some of best offenses in the league in Green Bay. His first few seasons when he had his best OL he was one of the best play callers, including the Super Bowl season. You don't go to 9 straight playoffs, 4 NFC Title games and a Super Bowl if you are bad at your job.
    The reason Rodgers only has one ring is the GM, not the coach. That GM refused to use free agency and made a slew of draft picks that were busts. It was a talent issue, not a coach issue.
    Didn't know the GM was play calling in those 4 title games. You don't go up to Seattle in the NFCCG, pick off Wilson 4 times, lose the game, and then blame the GM.

Anyway, the NFL is prohibiting team activities aside from scheduled games Monday-Tuesday in anticipation that there is gonna be more rona cases due to the holiday.

So Ravens-Steelers officially pushed to Tuesday. Lamar had a positive test, so he's still out for Tuesday, but the hope is that pushing their Thursday game against Dallas to Sunday will allow him to get back for that....I guess?

Does actually being positive go away in 10 days? I thought the 10 day period was a precautionary hope for people who had been exposed to positive people. Josh Norman on the Bills didn't clear the COVID list for like 3 weeks, and he had 0 symptoms during it.