Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Ran out of story quests at level 57, have to grind 3/4 of a level to continue.

This is a warning for anyone who thought like I did that it would be clever to just do the mainline story quests (the ones with a shield ! icon) and save the side quests for later. Well, guess what, you'll hit a wall at level 57 where you can't continue with the mainline story quest chain until you get to 58.

So, time to re-trace my steps and start grinding side quests for 3/4 of a level.

Thanks O'Blizzard!

Be glad you have those quests because in earlier expansions you could run out of ALL quests and still not hit max level.

I posted here my experience I had leveling up with Campaign only quests.

Final update after hitting 60. The following roadblocks were hit with warmode off and no side quests done (unless indicated)

• Bastion - Hit Level 52.5 and when you entered Elysian Hold for the next quest you had to be 53 (5/7). Had to do side quests to supplement XP here.
    • Ardenweald - Hit 57 as you finished the "Into the Vision" 2 quests finishing chapters 6/8. After I dinged 57 the next part required 58. Had to supplement an entire level worth of side quests here to get it.
    • Revendreth - Hit 59.75 as I finished Chapter finishing 6/7 of the story. The final chapter requires you to be 60.

Maldraxxus is the only zone I didn't run into a level issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Be glad you have those quests because in earlier expansions you could run out of ALL quests and still not hit max level.
    This was never the case in old expansions. My first time through was always doing the quests only and never once experienced that or heard of it. Where as this expansion there have been several threads about it and major complaints during beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    care to provide some examples? Because I've played through the launch of every expansion and this has never once happened to me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    This is a warning for anyone who thought like I did that it would be clever to just do the mainline story quests (the ones with a shield ! icon) and save the side quests for later. Well, guess what, you'll hit a wall at level 57 where you can't continue with the mainline story quest chain until you get to 58.

So, time to re-trace my steps and start grinding side quests for 3/4 of a level.

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    It's almost like this was known since early alpha that you had to do side quests/ a couple dungeons.
    You should be thanking yourself for being a complete inept moron.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    It's almost like this was known since early alpha that you had to do side quests/ a couple dungeons.
    Yep. Change your views guys, if you'd only do the main chapters and no side quest you wouldn't have reached max level in BfA or Legion.
    WoW players are all trash? M+ leavers? Pug raid fails? You don't have stuff to do? WoW has become a solo player game for you? People don't talk anymore? Everyone's toxic? I have a simple solution, just for you!
    Get social. Join a guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    This was never the case in old expansions. My first time through was always doing the quests only and never once experienced that or heard of it. Where as this expansion there have been several threads about it and major complaints during beta.
    Vanilla for sure. And some bugged questlines not appearing until you contacted GMs (I've experienced that while doing loremaster).

Vanilla for sure. And some bugged questlines not appearing until you contacted GMs (I've experienced that while doing loremaster).
    Huh? Classic had way more quests than you ever needed to level. The only way you'd have that problem is if you avoided zones altogether.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did side quests in Bastion and then main story only in the rest and hit 60 very early in Revendreth. This was this the 30% war mode bonus, but lack of quests was no issue for me.

do everything. when I finished all quests yesterday in bastion including the dungeon quest, I reached lvl 55. no warmode bonus

Not sure what is so hard about doing the side quests. Sometimes they are even right in the same area as your main story quests. It makes absolutely zero sense not doing them.

Laziness and stupidity to the max level...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Huh? Classic had way more quests than you ever needed to level. The only way you'd have that problem is if you avoided zones altogether.
    Not classic, actual vanilla, heard countless stories from my previous guild old-timers they had to grind mobs to get more levels.
    Even if it wasn't entirely true, those quests weren't as easy as it is now to obtain (DUH! since i had entire questlines not appearing at all while doing loremaster and had to contact GM)

Not classic, actual vanilla, heard countless stories from my previous guild old-timers they had to grind mobs to get more levels.
    Even if it wasn't entirely true, those quests weren't as easy as it is now to obtain (DUH! since i had entire questlines not appearing at all while doing loremaster and had to contact GM)
    It wasn't true. The people who say there weren't enough quests or had to grind levels, are probably the same crowd the OP of this thread hangs out with. Even in Classic I still heard this. I never understood it. I dinged 60 without even entering probably 5 zones. Very few dungeons and no grinding either.
    Last edited by ablib; 2020-11-27 at 04:50 AM.

This was never an issue in classic/vanilla and I wasn't referring to classic as the re-released version, but the original. Typically if quests weren't spawning it was because you were missing breadcrumbs and stuff that led to it. Since it was a breadcrumb GM's were more likely to "brute force it" and let you pick up the next one especially if you did it in Wrath when things were leaving.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand how y'all are managing this. I did very few side quests (mostly a handful of ones done incidentally in the same area as campaign quests), only one bonus objective (in bastion), no dungeons, no rested, no gathering, no warmode, and I hit 60 about 3/4 the way through the revendreth story.

I mean, I believe you, I just don't understand how. Even if I eliminated the few extraneous quests I did, I feel like that would have made a half level difference at most, not three entire levels.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't understand how y'all are managing this. I did very few side quests (mostly a handful of ones done incidentally in the same area as campaign quests), only one bonus objective (in bastion), no dungeons, no rested, no gathering, no warmode, and I hit 60 about 3/4 the way through the revendreth story.

I mean, I believe you, I just don't understand how. Even if I eliminated the few extraneous quests I did, I feel like that would have made a half level difference at most, not three entire levels.
    Did 2 quick dungeons and had an entire zone left after I hit 60. People are gimping themselves to make a point. And the whole "this has NEVER happened before" crap is exactly that - a complete load of crap. Know how I know that? Because main story quests have not traditionally been distinguished from "normal" quests. Quests were quests.

There is roughly double the xp from quests required to get to 60. The only ones "running out" are causing the issue themselves, and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    Was it stated anywhere that you could just do mainline quests exclusively to level?

Why are you sarcastically thanking blizzard. I don't get it.

have done 2x and both my characters got lvl 59 before revendreath, and forced to do sinfall campaign at lvl 60

so, how?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Did 2 quick dungeons and had an entire zone left after I hit 60. People are gimping themselves to make a point. And the whole "this has NEVER happened before" crap is exactly that - a complete load of crap. Know how I know that? Because main story quests have not traditionally been distinguished from "normal" quests. Quests were quests.

There is roughly double the xp from quests required to get to 60. The only ones "running out" are causing the issue themselves, and they know it.
    What I am saying is that I don't even understand how one could cause it.

Obviously people could avoid that situation by doing some side quests or objectives along the way -- that's not really debated -- but I'm just curious how it is even being managed since I did almost nothing to give myself any gains to xp and I still ended up hitting 60 before finishing the main storylines. I could understand some variations if they ended up having to kill less mobs and didn't do the few side quests I did, but I wouldn't expect that variance to equal three entire levels. I'd expect it to be around half a level, give or take.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    as opposed to being an insufferable cunt like yourself?