Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    This expansion has the most boring experience ever had.

I feel like any of the elites i've come across are at least slightly challenging, normal mobs not so much. Then again the danger often lies in overpulling.

Easy. Every single subscriber has to be able to get through it so the bar has to be set super low. If you want challenging content there is plenty to opt in to

Just take off gear until you reach the maximal amount of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Wildstar says hello.

Oh, wait - no it doesn't, because it did exactly what you're asking for here, wasn't popular, and was shut down.

People want to enjoy the experience of questing in this game, not feel like they've gone a few rounds with Ali or Frasier.
    Wildstar may not have been successful because it didn't have a known IP to support it. Warcraft 3, Star Wars, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, etc. I never played it, but it never really grabbed me because the IP looked weird and they promoted it with a furry. You can't just say it failed because "X". I'm sure there were multiple reasons why Wildstar failed.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-11-26 at 11:21 PM.

Content isn't harder if mobs just have more health like OP is trying to point out. Some abilities you really should learn to sidestep so it becomes a habit. That becomes your strength later in dungeons and raids where not dodging really will kill you. This is why new players have hard time finding groups/avoiding getting kicked 'cause some veterans don't like teaching these basics to them.
    Leveling content becoming just a bit more challenging makes game better for all types.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddhi View Post
    Gearlevel is surely no argument, they have the means to scale mob health and damage according your gear, providing every player the same difficulty.

WoW having subpar gameplay mechanics (no aim, no dodge, but press your 3-4 buttons to kill a mob or a few over and over again with no way to fail or succeed) and the game being no challenge at all (except up from heroic raiding, certain keystone levels and PVP) is a reason for me not playing it anymore.

Instead of buying into Shadowlands i play Hades now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Okay then. Maybe Blizz will try it sometime, however I think as someone else said, they did try gear scaling once and people throw a metric fit about it, so IDK.

Crazy, it's almost like the questing is a small % of our overall playing, then we get into the real challenges - i.e. mythic+ dungeons/raiding.

I don't look at the questing to be the challenge, it's the storytelling part. I look at it to enjoy the story. Challenge comes in other areas of the game. A random trash mob outside shouldn't require loads of effort to kill. An Old God, for instance, should.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celestraza View Post
    I went in the Maw with horrid gear just now. I understand the tuning. A ww monk next to me was oneshotting mobs while I needed about 20 frostbolts to kill a mob. But as a frost mage I have all the time in the world to avoid dmg. I can imagine things being a lot more tedious for undergeared melee or ranged without perma slow/mobility.

I think the main issue are the NPCs, they really made things feel trivial. Think they did more dmg and tanking than I did....

Also. Nothing stopping you from pulling 5+ mobs to speed it up. Starting to do this in Bastion now that I am getting some gear finally.
    I would hope the leaders of the Alliance could help out fairly healthily. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    I feel like every thread I make requires a disclaimer, so here it is again: I love WoW. I've been playing it since I was 13 in early TBC. This is my opinion. You have yours. Let's have a discussion. I'm not attacking your very soul just because I disgaree.

Now, I ask you honestly, do you enjoy questing? I find myself asking more and more...why don't mobs hit hard? I really don't understand why Blizzard even make mobs charge up big attacks when they don't even take 10% off your health. I've stood in things I shouldn't stand in countless time just to try and feel like I'm atleast in some kind of danger. Why go to the effort of animating things you apparently should move out of, when you don't need to move out at all?

Maybe that's what they're going for now, and I'm sure a lot of people like a relaxing experience. But what is so wrong with encouraging a little thought? Instead of pulling mobs without a care in the world, why not turn questing from a brain dead slog into something that can actually keep you on your toes. I'm not asking for a brutal challenge...I'm asking for any challenge at all. It's not hard to move out of the kind of things quest mobs throw at you. Why shouldn't those things take atleast 25% of your health off?

Every second mob should charge up an attack that you have to move out of, or casts something you NEED to interrupt or you lose 25-50% of your health. Because, why not? Why must questing be pulling mobs and doing the same rotation over and over just waiting till they die. Can you really be honest and say you enjoy when you pull an extra mob in this game? It's just a chore because it's mindless.

MAKE ME MOVE OUT OF SOMETHING. Rares and elites can be soloed. What is that? Wouldn't you like some other kind of combat than just seeing a mob, running over to it and pressing the same buttons you have before while standing still until its dead without any threats to your character whatsoever?
    See that's how I felt since Cataclysm, I've been telling friends that the mobs doing big obvious attacks in one direction with enough time for us to dodge is not an advancement, It's going backwards. Mobs before weren't perfect, but you knew that a bandit from Elwynn could backstab you if you turn your back to him, or throw blinding powder at your pet (or ally) or try to do multiple stab attacks so you have to prepare for it (I'm making that up, but imagine if). That feels more threatening than obvious frontal cone attack #26

You right. Imean, if we wanna pull lots of mobs it should come with risks, consider what mobs we pulling, some might need interrupts or constant stuns, or kiting. But Blizzard, unfortunately, likes to pander and make the game "Accesible to all" which just makes it bad for everyone in reality, but hey, they don't listen. Somewhere deep In their offices sits a man who has no passion, no drive to make the game, and you might think his name is Ion the Game Director but in reality....... he is the SHA of PRIDE.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Crazy, it's almost like the questing is a small % of our overall playing, then we get into the real challenges - i.e. mythic+ dungeons/raiding.
    The thing is, its not only questing that has trivial difficulty and therefore offers no feeling of pride and accomplishment. It's next to any solo content. And you cannot argue that WoW is not a solo game, it is to some extend as you need to do your regular routine to get taken into groups. Or can i tell my raidlead "Sorry, going Maw and farming my anima or souls or whatever you get there is too boring, not feeling to do it. My numbers are 30% worse than the other guys in the raid, but see you next raid night then!" ?

Wow is wow, not expecting anything to change gameplay wise here, but they could at least make not using damage mitigation & interrupts somewhat punishing that you have to heal yourself up in one way or the other after a fight. Then you at least can have some "nice, i am still at good health, no time lost for regen, lets keep going" feeling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Easy. Every single subscriber has to be able to get through it so the bar has to be set super low. If you want challenging content there is plenty to opt in to
    But to do the challenging content you need to go through character progression and a big chunk of that is doing all the trivial no brain no skill solo content.

I feel like every thread I make requires a disclaimer, so here it is again: I love WoW. I've been playing it since I was 13 in early TBC. This is my opinion. You have yours. Let's have a discussion. I'm not attacking your very soul just because I disgaree.

Now, I ask you honestly, do you enjoy questing? I find myself asking more and more...why don't mobs hit hard? I really don't understand why Blizzard even make mobs charge up big attacks when they don't even take 10% off your health. I've stood in things I shouldn't stand in countless time just to try and feel like I'm atleast in some kind of danger. Why go to the effort of animating things you apparently should move out of, when you don't need to move out at all?

Maybe that's what they're going for now, and I'm sure a lot of people like a relaxing experience. But what is so wrong with encouraging a little thought? Instead of pulling mobs without a care in the world, why not turn questing from a brain dead slog into something that can actually keep you on your toes. I'm not asking for a brutal challenge...I'm asking for any challenge at all. It's not hard to move out of the kind of things quest mobs throw at you. Why shouldn't those things take atleast 25% of your health off?

Every second mob should charge up an attack that you have to move out of, or casts something you NEED to interrupt or you lose 25-50% of your health. Because, why not? Why must questing be pulling mobs and doing the same rotation over and over just waiting till they die. Can you really be honest and say you enjoy when you pull an extra mob in this game? It's just a chore because it's mindless.

MAKE ME MOVE OUT OF SOMETHING. Rares and elites can be soloed. What is that? Wouldn't you like some other kind of combat than just seeing a mob, running over to it and pressing the same buttons you have before while standing still until its dead without any threats to your character whatsoever?
    Because of high repetition and low reward, it'd just make matters tedious.

If you're proposing less-but-tougher mobs that reward properly for the time and effort they take, then sure i'm up for it, but for some reason Blizzard is rarely up for that sort of stuff.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Wildstar may not have been successful because it didn't have a known IP to support it. Warcraft 3, Star Wars, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, etc. I never played it, but it never really grabbed me because the IP looked weird and they promoted it with a furry. You can't just say it failed because "X". I'm sure there were multiple reasons why Wildstar failed.
    the biggest reason was that raiding was pointless. pvp was more powerful than gear from raids and it took a small fraction of the time to get the pvp gear. so raiding was dead and wildstar was competing with other pvp games and lost badly. in other words, horrifically bad gearing issues killed wildstar. it made all the issues with wow seem trivial.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Wasn’t it BfA that had some sort of scaling with ilvl even after the controversy? I never got to a point of one-shotting in BfA, despite full Mythic sets.

Well, corruptions aside...
    Could be. However it worked, it was initially obnoxious AF and then they tweaked it and became forgettable.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Since the Shadowlands pre patch I love the flow of questing per expansion, it feels nice to quest and it's fun again. But...

I hate that you never get the big "oh daym" moments ever. If you crit an eviscerate as Rogue or do 2 crits in a row as a Warrior you feel like a god for a moment in Classic. That feeling is gone. Whatever I do, I could just spam Sinister Strike anyway since mobs would die almost as fast.

On top of that, you can't die. Literally can't die. I pulled 10 mobs on my rogue and it was no problems killing them. There is no threat, so there is no thrill in combat either.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a large chunk of people who only do quests and WQs, and never participate in higher levels of the game. If quests were made harder, those people would probably quit.

My wife and I don't find challenging content fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I like being powerful, I gear up to kill things faster and eliminate any thing that could be viewed as ”Challange”, I will never play a dark souls or demon souls game as they look tedious & boring, Unless i have codes that make me OP ofc.
    Well it's a good thing you can just run normal dungeons then if you're averse to a challenge. But if you actually want to be as powerful as possible you need to do actually challenging content...

Not everything needs to be challenging to be entertaining or compelling to play. Not everyone is trying to push their skills to the limit every second they play the game. That's why Blizzard adds difficulty levels and multiple types of content.

Personnally, in Shadowlands, while leveling my main (Fire Mage), I found myself struggling quite a bit in certain situations, when pulling a bit too much or in zones with fast respawn. Upon reaching lvl 60, quests became somewhat harder at times, and I needed to focus a lot more. There is also max level areas in each zones with elite mobs that are quite difficult to get through. Additionally, doing quests in the Maw can be quite challenging to do. Of course, few mobs have special abilities but I think that's fine in outdoor content while dungeons and other instanced content gets more dynamic fights. Rares and elites sometimes have special abilities that can be challenging (not hard but ask players to be aware of what's going on).

To be honest, I never died while leveling in Shadowlands, but I'm kind of glad it didn't happened. I came close to dying a few times, and it made me appreciate the game even more than me dying, because it felt good being able to use all my skills to survivre and get through. I think it shows that the game is challenging enough and well balanced. I had to run away from some tough mobs I couldn't handle, knowing I'd to go back later. Felt good.

[B] Rares and elites can be soloed.
    Go solo Hopecrusher in Revendreth
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Because questing isn't meant to be a challenge. Arenas, raids, m+, and possibly Torghast (depending on how it goes on later layers) are the challenges in WoW. Quests are just there to give you something to do between the challenges.

Questing by design will *never* be difficult, it can be tedious by making mobs do more damage and making them take longer to kill (see classic) but it can never be made hard because that would require them to give each enemy in the world unique abilities and mechanics which is a pretty impossible task. And questing doesn't need to be hard to begin with, the rewards would have to be significantly better and then it would just be required to do more quests which would just make the game worse.

Honestly if they'd want more interesting mechanics they'd need to overhaul WoW's physics engine, i mean it'd be neat if mobs would alter the terrain on occasion while you could too.
    Think i.e. a fallen tree being pulled off a hill that damages you and knocks you back on hit. But if left unattended a player could do the same to a mob, perhaps even instantly killing weaker ones or something.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.