Poll: Should we wipe gold?

Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    Ok so give me a "clue" then. Is everyone running around with 80 million gold like in retail?
    In comparison to actual vanilla and tbc, yes, they are. People are casually walking around with tens of thousands of gold dropping it like nothing in gdkp runs. Allowing this type of gold to transition into tbc will wreak it from day 1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainyhealz View Post
    Same as discussing wiping gold for shadowlands from bfa. Dumb discussion
    It isn't, Classic is a meta now, not a progressive game. A piece of history, a museum.
    -K

I personally don't care which it is, I just want to know more than like 3 days before launch. If we keep all gold, tell me now so I can farm more. If we don't tell me now so I can not farm and do dumb stuff like GDKP etc. If servers are fresh, let me know. If they are roll overs with no possible way to change or move with new/different friends, let me know.

So many unknows that need to be answered before I have a strong feeling about it.

No, because when the expansion originally came out, it didnt do a gold wipe.

/discussion.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

No reason for it and with the dailys in tbc people will just earn that gold back instantly so why punish those who earned it?

Quote Originally Posted by mhdoe View Post
    No reason for it and with the dailys in tbc people will just earn that gold back instantly so why punish those who earned it?
    Even with dailies, the amount of inflation currently in the game would make it so the only players able to afford crafted materials (some of which is relevant for the entire expansion) are the ones enriched by having played in Classic. It will be an extremely bad player experience for any new or returning TBC players to hit max level then find out they're essentially second class citizens because the economy is dictated by the insane amounts of gold that Classic players have right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    I personally don't care which it is, I just want to know more than like 3 days before launch. If we keep all gold, tell me now so I can farm more. If we don't tell me now so I can not farm and do dumb stuff like GDKP etc. If servers are fresh, let me know. If they are roll overs with no possible way to change or move with new/different friends, let me know.

So many unknows that need to be answered before I have a strong feeling about it.
    TBC has yet to even be announced. It's talked about like it's guaranteed (and most agree it's self-evident) but we really have no idea. The topic of the OP is likely one of the biggest questions Blizzard is considering when deciding how to implement servers so we will definitely have an idea months before its released officially (Q3 2021 by my estimation).
    Last edited by Relapses; 2020-11-22 at 05:39 PM.

Either way, I'm actually surprised the poll is this even. I figured it would be more one-sided on one way or the other but it really isn't.

TBC should come completely separated from Classic.

I think every New Year's Day should come with a similar wipe. Everyone's wealth starts over from 0. Good idea guys , right?

Classic means classic. They didn't wipe it when it launched before, why would they now?

Quote Originally Posted by KayRule View Post
    Classic means classic. They didn't wipe it when it launched before, why would they now?
    Because people are weaker now. They think someone will get offended by being less wealthy than someone else so they have to come to the rescue. In reality, it doesn't matter at all and no one is actually victimized by wealth.

If I had a vote, it would be "no". Each 'Classic' release should be it's own sandbox. A captured point in time that doesn't change. Classic servers aren't about expansion progression. That's what retail is. Classic servers are independent of each other and should not go away. If Classic Vanilla servers are dropped, then folks will just open up pirate Vanilla servers again.

So to that end, copying gold feels wrong, since the player will still have it in their Classic server. The other problem is transferring all your gold to whatever character is being copied, which creates all of it's own problems.

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of copying Classic characters over. My current Classic Vanilla characters are just that, Classic Vanilla. I want them to remain there in case I ever have the urge to play Vanilla content again. So I wouldn't be upset if these servers are just kept completely separate and there's no transferring any account stuff from one to the other.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Because people are weaker now. They think someone will get offended by being less wealthy than someone else so they have to come to the rescue. In reality, it doesn't matter at all and no one is actually victimized by wealth.
    Yeah. Easy to say that shit now but if the current inflation carries over to TBC then there will be two types of players: Those who can afford shit (because they horded it from Classic) and those who can't do anything because they're a new or returning player. The ex-Classic players will fail to see anything wrong with the economy because they got theirs (new/returning players should pull themselves up by the bootstraps!) and everybody else will see the stupid amounts of inflation and do the only thing they can do to voice their concern: Quit. But hey -- you really stuck it to the carebears so good going!
    Last edited by Relapses; 2020-11-28 at 04:54 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Not sure where the inkling of this comes from. What problem is supposed to be solved by zeroing out everyone's gold? This would have a dramatic effect if, say, quest givers were also zeroed out, meaning quests didn't pay out any copper/silver/gold; or if the auction house fee were inflated to some extremely high value; or crafting rares and epics included a substantial fee to actually craft. The only way to slow down earning gold is to greatly reduce the economic functions of the World of Warcraft economy. However, if all economic activity were severely reduced and all gold reduced to zero for players in one instant, that does not remove the possibility that a group of very wealthy players would rise to the "top" of the economic heap. It just makes it harder and guarantees that group to be smaller.

Economic success in WoW is a product of information and time invested with said information (e.g. "I know that crafting material _____ is farmable at ______ and is quite rare but valuable for creating _____ which is highly desired among players. Therefore, I can sell crafting material _______ for a high price or it's already selling at a high price. I have much time today/this week/this month/all the time to farm crafting material _______ and sell it for a high price.") The more you invest, the more you earn. Resetting gold to zero just brings everyone back to the starting line. But some players have Lamborghini levels of information and time availability while others have bicycle levels of either information or time availability (or both).

Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    Not sure where the inkling of this comes from. What problem is supposed to be solved by zeroing out everyone's gold? This would have a dramatic effect if, say, quest givers were also zeroed out, meaning quests didn't pay out any copper/silver/gold; or if the auction house fee were inflated to some extremely high value; or crafting rares and epics included a substantial fee to actually craft. The only way to slow down earning gold is to greatly reduce the economic functions of the World of Warcraft economy. However, if all economic activity were severely reduced and all gold reduced to zero for players in one instant, that does not remove the possibility that a group of very wealthy players would rise to the "top" of the economic heap. It just makes it harder and guarantees that group to be smaller.

Economic success in WoW is a product of information and time invested with said information (e.g. "I know that crafting material _____ is farmable at ______ and is quite rare but valuable for creating _____ which is highly desired among players. Therefore, I can sell crafting material _______ for a high price or it's already selling at a high price. I have much time today/this week/this month/all the time to farm crafting material _______ and sell it for a high price.") The more you invest, the more you earn. Resetting gold to zero just brings everyone back to the starting line. But some players have Lamborghini levels of information and time availability while others have bicycle levels of either information or time availability (or both).
    That's the problem: Lamborghini drivers are fucking assholes. And if gold is carried over, you'd just have a bunch of smug Lamborghini drivers intentionally driving on the sidewalk to hit your bicyclists because, again, they're assholes and in their minds "fuck those bicyclists, if they were real people they'd have gone back in time and got a Lamborghini while they still could."

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they'll accompany it with the implementation of the token system.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Yes, they'll accompany it with the implementation of the token system.
    Classic purists will hate it but a Classic token would be about the only way I could see gold from Classic carrying over into TBC without the impact of inflation having a severe negative impact on the new/returning player experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres no be wipe i bet. Just copy classic character to new serwer dedicated tbc.

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Either way, I'm actually surprised the poll is this even. I figured it would be more one-sided on one way or the other but it really isn't.
    53-27% is even?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    No, they shouldn't erase people's gold. what they should do is leave the classic servers alone, and open two different TBC server types to transfer/copy.

one server type lets you keep EVERYTHING. let the economy abusers keep their gold and play among themselves.

other server type you can transfer to with only BoP items like gear, mounts, pets, etc so you can still keep everything of note you have earned in classic. no sellable items allowed with the transfer so economy starts fresh. cap the gold allowed to something reasonable, say 1000g or something.
    I’m not interested in the slightest since I’m avoiding Classic like a plague, but how many Classic servers are there at the moment?

You are basically suggesting a x3 servers number for TBC.

Giving that today’s hw is not 2006 hw, they would have a lot more servers to maintain. Will this be affordable?