Poll: Should we wipe gold?

Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Should Shadowlands have come with a goldwipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    Should Shadowlands have come with a goldwipe?
    I see your point, but Retail situation is different, because making gold in Retail is far faster than in TBC.

For example even being completely new to the game, today you can hit level 30 and buy the 150% flying mount without having basically done anything apart from questing and vendoring greys/greens to vendors.

I bet that by the time you are 60 you can easily buy the 280% speed mount with zero effort apart from, again, leveling.

The last time I leveled a char 1-120 I dinged 120 with something like 10k+ gold, skipping every profession. 10k was more than enough to do whatever you liked, given that buying gear from AH was useless and there were/are a ton of catch up mechanisms.

Back then I had a lot of friends stuck for months without the 280% speed because they did not want to waste ages of their time to farm gold in whatever way (and I myself had it only because I’ve been brave enough to buy golds from a Chinese website).

Also, Vanilla richest chars had probably a fraction of the gold today Classic richest chars have, and they were way way way way way fewer. I had something like 10k gold (bought of course) when I started TBC and I was by far the richest dude in the guild (we were a standard raiding guild, not the best, not the worst).
    Last edited by chiddie; 2020-11-28 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Yeah. Easy to say that shit now but if the current inflation carries over to TBC then there will be two types of players: Those who can afford shit (because they horded it from Classic) and those who can't do anything because they're a new or returning player. The ex-Classic players will fail to see anything wrong with the economy because they got theirs (new/returning players should pull themselves up by the bootstraps!) and everybody else will see the stupid amounts of inflation and do the only thing they can do to voice their concern: Quit. But hey -- you really stuck it to the carebears so good going!
    Ok I'm convinced. Let's delete all of the gold created by all the players who actually play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Ok I'm convinced. Let's delete all of the gold created by all the players who actually play the game.
    Both "factions" have a valid point.

One thing stays true: Vanilla and TBC gold values were not set that way by Blizzard thinking that there would have been many people with tons of gold. As i wrote before, i started TBC with 10k gold (chinese gold) and i was by far the richest guy not only in my guild but also in my in-game frends' circle (about 100 people).

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    In comparison to actual vanilla and tbc, yes, they are. People are casually walking around with tens of thousands of gold dropping it like nothing in gdkp runs. Allowing this type of gold to transition into tbc will wreak it from day 1
    Weill, ok. If you say so. I guess Blizzard managed to f*ck up "classic" as well then. Good thing I don't subscribe.

Pretty pathetic ventures from a lot of the people who want to "keep" their gold "going into" TBC.

I'll try one, here goes....

"No U, hahahahahaha!"

Anyway, copying characters over or "upgrading" Classic servers to TBC would be polar opposite of the design intent for Classic. They explicitly said they don't want two versions of the game running alongside each other. So I think they'll let you keep your gold. On Classic.

Want to play TBC? Roll on the TBC servers and start from lvl 1. You'll get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Pretty pathetic ventures from a lot of the people who want to "keep" their gold "going into" TBC.

"No U, hahahahahaha!"

Anyway, copying characters over or "upgrading" Classic servers to TBC would be polar opposite of the design intent for Classic. They explicitly said they don't want two versions of the game running alongside each other. So I think they'll let you keep your gold. On Classic.

Want to play TBC? Roll on the TBC servers and start from lvl 1. You'll get over it.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you think they will open new servers just for TBC where we start at level 1 and leave Classic separate?

"No U, hahahahahaha!"

If there are TBC and classic server you would have two versions running alongside each other. Maybe you shouldn't contradict yourself so explicitly in your passive aggressive post to be taken serious.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    If there are TBC and classic server you would have two versions running alongside each other. Maybe you shouldn't contradict yourself so explicitly in your passive aggressive post to be taken serious.
    Okay so the word "progressive" was left out because it was implied in the original "We don't want 2 (progressive) versions running alongside each other" argument for Classic. You'd have Classic museum, TBC museum, and who knows, maybe in the future a Wrath museum.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.
    Well, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Too much botted gold and people just waiting to control the primal market.

Okay so the word "progressive" was left out because it was implied in the original "We don't want 2 (progressive) versions running alongside each other" argument for Classic. You'd have Classic museum, TBC museum, and who knows, maybe in the future a Wrath museum.

Well, no.
    Let's get back on topic. I'll start:
    There shouldn't be a gold wipe. And my prediction is there won't be one.

10+ Year Old Account

"No U, hahahahahaha!"

Thank you, someone with sense.

"Oh but I spent 912893198 years in Classic" get over it, we already did that since the launch of WoW and have leveled countless alts to max caps. Nothing beats a freshie launch, the classic opened up, the even playing field, the rush to cap was juicy. You want TBC? Roll from 1. People just want to feel entitled and be a special snowflake since they don't want to loose their precious legendries and hundreds of hours.

This isn't WoW restart button, its a museum.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's get back on topic. I'll start:
    There shouldn't be a gold wipe. And my prediction is there won't be one.
    Oh how wrong you are Character copy? Sure. Unlimited gold copy? Have a laugh

At most and I give this to ya, you can copy to selected realms ONLY while majority will be fresh TBC launches. Enfact I only hope there are 3 realms that you can copy to (ideally none). Keep the games separated, they are not progressive...

RP
    PVP
    PVE
    -K

Care to address any of the counter-arguments I made or is flippant sarcasm the only defense you have against rational objection?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Care to address any of the counter-arguments I made or is flippant sarcasm the only defense you have against rational objection?
    Sure not a problem. People are forgetting that everyone has access to the game itself. The part of the game that actually gets played. Not everything is about the Auction House, but when it is, even the little guy can make massive gains by selling all of our extra stuff. For those of us who are just average players who can't outright buy everything, we will go farm. Remember that there are people who have to go and get the mats to begin with. The rich are the ones who are going to be making the purchases from the average player.

TBC is their chance to right some wrongs from the first classic project. I don't think they should wipe gold completely, but they should definitely do something because they let gold buying and bots have seemingly free reign. They should at minimum impose a 5k limit on lvl 60 characters, allowing you to bring over 50k on a single server if you put in the effort to level 10 60s on that server.
    Last edited by huehuehue; 2020-11-30 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huehuehue View Post
    I don't think they should wipe gold completely, but they should definitely do something because they let gold buying and bots have seemingly free reign. They should at minimum impose a 5k limit on lvl 60 characters, allowing you to bring over 50k on a single server if you put in the effort to level 10 60s on that server.
    That's the problem with this question. We go from Gold WIPE!!! ZERO IT OUT!! to 5k/toon is OK. You can't have a discussion when what we're talking about is so ill defined. I'd oppose a pure wipe or a wipe to something really low like 100g. That's asinine to me. 5000? I personally wouldn't care since I have less. But I know at least one guy who is basically a trader and has a lot more. He'd buy cards and sell the DMF trinkets for a profit or broker a deal to make in demand things like a Lionheart Helm. Boring AF to me, but he came by all his gold by legit means - who are any of you to demand that he not be able to enjoy it in TBC?

And why only 60s? Why not lower level toons that you just didnt finish? And if you do those, how low? 5? 35? 50?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    it's objectively my opinion
    Ah yes, the opinion masquerading as fact. Some of you never learn, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    That's the problem with this question. We go from Gold WIPE!!! ZERO IT OUT!! to 5k/toon is OK. You can't have a discussion when what we're talking about is so ill defined. I'd oppose a pure wipe or a wipe to something really low like 100g. That's asinine to me. 5000? I personally wouldn't care since I have less. But I know at least one guy who is basically a trader and has a lot more. He'd buy cards and sell the DMF trinkets for a profit or broker a deal to make in demand things like a Lionheart Helm. Boring AF to me, but he came by all his gold by legit means - who are any of you to demand that he not be able to enjoy it in TBC?

And why only 60s? Why not lower level toons that you just didnt finish? And if you do those, how low? 5? 35? 50?
    The basic idea is that while there are players that legitimately earn gold, the amount is drastically inflated because of rampant botting generating hundreds of thousands of gold on every server. Something needs to be done so that blizzard's bot response doesn't impact the next project as much. The limit to 5k on 60's would make it so, again, that a total of 50k could be brought through to TBC if you put in enough effort to level your unfinished toons. Lower levels have a lower max gold.

This in my opinion is the bare minimum they should do. This is extremely generous towards those that legitimately earned gold and tbh the vast majority of players don't have close to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Big agree on the gold wipe! Here's my thoughts:

- Existing chars can remain on amalgamated Classic servers.
    - You can copy as many chars over as you want, but only once (perhaps determined by a new boolean field on the account record).
    - Only soulbound items transfer, and they have a sell value of 0 bronze when vendored (another boolean field).
    - Close any other loopholes people find for turning soulbound items into quick gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Not really

Fucking over all the people with no interest of playing classic but who want to play BC is a bad idea
    You can play TBC. You just don't have any gold to start with. That's a consequence of your choice.
    Fucking over all the people with no interest of playing anything besides classic by forcing BC on them is a bad idea
    Not an issue if you simply create TBC servers and allow a one time copy per toon.
    Everyone wins if it's simply a different game like how retail and classic works now - no one asked for classic so they could go through the whole game again, people asked for classic because they wanted classic
    Except the people who played classic and assume that its success means TBC...and who want to take over the toons they spend hundreds of hours on.

You and those who think like you simply don't want to deal with the the results of your choices not to play TBC. Creating TBC servers and allowing copies a) preserves Classic for those who want Classic, b) lets people who spend time on their toon in Classic to move to TBC and c) lets people start new with TBC.

What you want is to penalize people who did play Classic because you chose not to. Why should others be affected by your decision?