10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Netflix Removes 'Chappelle's Show' Upon Dave Chappelle's Request

Dave Chappelle had made it clear that he did not approve of ViacomCBS licensing his Comedy Central series, Chappelle’s Show, without paying him a dime. The comedian spoke about it during his recent Saturday Night Live monologue, and now he has done something about it.

In a video, titled Unforgiven, which was posted on Instagram this morning, Chappelle says that he had asked Netflix, where he has a deal for standup specials, to take Chappelle’s Show, which the streamer had licensed on a non-exclusive basis, off the service.

Netflix has honored Chappelle’s request, and removed the show overnight last night, a rep for the streamer confirmed to Deadline. The show began streaming on Netflix in the U.S. on Nov. 1. Chappelle’s Show, owned by ViacomCBS, is still available on the company’s Comedy Central and CBS All Access outlets and was also recently licensed by HBO Max. Companies that license a program pay the seller who, in turn, has to compensate the creatives on the show.

Chappelle's statement:

“People think I made a lot of money from Chappelle’s Show,” Chappelle says in the video, filmed during a recent standup set, in which he reminisces about his comedy career. “When I left that show I never got paid. They (ViacomCBS) didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract. But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal ‘cause I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either. That’s why I like working for Netflix. I like working for Netflix because when all those bad things happened to me, that company didn’t even exist. And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle’s Show, I was furious. How could they not– how could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better. That’s why I f*ck with Netflix. Because they paid me my money, they do what they say they’re going to do, and they went above and beyond what you could expect from a businessman. They did something just because they thought that I might think that they were wrong. And I do — I think that if you are f*cking streaming that show you’re fencing stolen goods.”

As noted in the article, Netflix has been housing many of Dave's stand-up specials. Do you think this will potentially harm is relationship with Netflix?

Also, do you think eventually 'Chappelle's Show' will come back to streaming? It is certainly a watch for those who never watched back in the day.

Does the show's comedy style even work nowadays?

It’s a sketch comedy show - so like SNL, I imagine some skits will be rendered dated/unfunny and some will be timeless.

I doubt it will hurt the relationship - conversely, I think it’s an indication of a strong relationship. Netflix was under no financial or legal obligation to acquiesce to Chapelle’s request, but did so in good faith.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    Of course it does. Good comedy ages like wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I love Dave Chappelle, but I don't agree with his stance here. That's how it works - before you make a name for yourself, you don't get paid all that much and the contract is structured to favor the company giving you a shot.
    Pretty much this. Sounds like the epitome of entitlement if you ask me. On one hand, he has a name now and could throw that weight around and on the other, they don't want to lose one of their... stars.

Sorry, it makes you feel like shit that you signed a contract when you were a nobody, I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for him. Not as 'brave' as Netflix is going for because it's not like people are subbing to watch the show so they lose nothing but a decent gesture nonetheless.

Just because predatory contracts are the 'norm:doesn't meant that it has to or should be the norm. The man is already paid and has his fame, he knows he isn't going to get paid and doesn't need to. The move is more for future talent in an attempt to give them a bit more leverage when dealing with greedy execs. But it only works if other people demand accountability as well.

Pretty crazy that some side with the corporate machine on this one, Viacom out of them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    considering Dave split on them and they still paid him 50 million reportedly I think Dave has a lot of nerve to even ask an independent company not to show content they paid for. Maybe the lesson for kids is act like an adult, negotiate your deals honestly, and don't wine if you as an adult later regret that decision. I don't have anything for or against Dave.

I thought some of his material was funny back then and a hell of a lot less now days. It really comes as more lazy and uninspired than it ever used to be, maybe it always has been and I didn't notice. But to each their own, seems like a stupid move on Netflix part though.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Yeah and they made 500 million off him. Just pretend Dave said Blizzard sucks, then you guys can eat it up.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think he's entitled to have a say in how the show that launched his career and didn't pay him, is distributed. If he isn't getting anything out of it, even when it has his name tied to it, I think he's right to have it pulled.

As noted in the article, Netflix has been housing many of Dave's stand-up specials. Do you think this will potentially harm is relationship with Netflix?
    No, this strengthens the relationship with Netflix. Netflix was not obligated to remove the show, Chappelle actually just called them up and argued his case about how screwed he was on the deal with Paramount/Viacom. This well reported in the trades.

Netflix was gracious and accommodating to choose to lose the Chappelle Show in order to be respectful of Dave Chappelle himself. They, again, had no obligation to do so other than being respectful.

Also, do you think eventually 'Chappelle's Show' will come back to streaming? It is certainly a watch for those who never watched back in the day.
    Never on Netflix US again. And it is unlikely other networks outside of the POaramount/Viacom owned wholly would pick-up the show now in the wake of Netflix (the biggest player in the game) made a concession out of respect for Chappelle himself. This is well reported in the trades.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can make similar today. Times change, and while that does not invalidate what was, it does dictate what will be.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think he's entitled to have a say in how the show that launched his career and didn't pay him, is distributed. If he isn't getting anything out of it, even when it has his name tied to it, I think he's right to have it pulled.
    He was paid when he worked on the show. He broke his contract and left the show early.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No, this strengthens the relationship with Netflix. Netflix was not obligated to remove the show, Chappelle actually just called them up and argued his case about how screwed he was on the deal with Paramount/Viacom. This well reported in the trades. .

While I don't have anything against him and netflix for working this out. He was far from screwed. In fact you could make an argument he screwed them. He is the one that left the show mid production.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    While I don't have anything against him and netflix for working this out. He was far from screwed. In fact you could make an argument he screwed them. He is the one that left the show mid production.
    No, Chappelle was screwed on the rights and licensing for his show initially. No lawyer today would agree with the terms outlined in this initial contract or the extension.

Being paid well does not mean you are being paid fairly.

darn sjws cancelled dave chapelle

5+ Year Old Account
    Netflix that streamed pedo movie cuties, oh, I guess everything's cool now cuz they were nice to dave...

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Netflix that streamed pedo movie cuties, oh, I guess everything's cool now cuz they were nice to dave...
    Pretty much how I feel. One good guy move doesn't remove guilt from that horseshit of a movie being on their service.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Dave Chappelle, but I don't agree with his stance here. That's how it works - before you make a name for yourself, you don't get paid all that much and the contract is structured to favor the company giving you a shot. That's because they give a lot of people a shot, and the windfalls from the people who are successful are supposed to offset the losses from those who aren't.

And it's not like Chappelle got nothing out of the show, he got huge fame which certainly enabled his massive earnings on Netflix today (he's making something like 20 million per special, which is absurd).
    I completely disagree with this viewpoint. Mainly because I'm an artist myself.

How is see it, these large companies take advantage of people who are just starting out. They know that they can manipulate someone's desire to be successful and leech them for all that they are worth, so they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfae View Post
    I'm pretty sure he got paid.
    Well...yes and no. He was paid for the original airings but nothing further.

When Dave Chappelle signed the contract with Viacom about 15 years ago--now ViacomCBS--for The Dave Chappelle Show, the network had full rights to the show which he acknowledges. They do not need his permission to air the show or give distribution rights to Netflix or any other streaming service. They also do not need to pay him royalties if they don't want to. That's what the contract he signed stipulates. I know he tried to sue Viacom a few times for a bigger cut of the money they made off the show as well as the rights to the show but gave up after a while.

I know he's been doing standup all this time just to make ends meet but he clearly wants to do a show like the one people know him from and is looking for a distributor to hos it. Like someone else in the thread said, Netflix delisting his show by his request is a good faith move. I'm sure they are well aware of his beef with ViacomCBS and want to position themselves to host a new show when and if it happens.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Funnier than anything I've seen on cable before or since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    kids was far worse back in the day, and yet nothing even remote as this pedo rhetoric was used.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, "just to make ends meet" - I'm sure he's done quite well. Dave Chappelle's Block Party, from 2005, made millions and I'm sure he got a substantial chunk of that. And he definitely didn't make nothing from Chappelle's show and all the movies he was in before that. Right now he's legitimately rich - he gets 20 mill per special on Netflix and he's released 5.

I am also SURE - 100% SURE - that Netflix would pony up to let him do another show. There's just absolutely no doubt in my mind about it. It hasn't happened because he doesn't want to do it.
    I know for the longest time he avoided the subject because of his beef with Viacom but I heard in the last few years he said he'd like to make a new show and is going to pay for everything out of pocket himself.

Oh and I know he's not hurtin' for money. He went off the grid for a while a few years back. Complete social media blackout just to make a point.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D