Time travle expansion debunked?

So I have spotted many a threads which speaks about people thinking we would get another "time travle" expansion with how Ion (Or someone else from Blizz) confirmed that "Time flows differently in the Shadowlands"; people began suspecting all these into the future potentials - But has this not already been debunked by in-game dialogue?

During the introduction when The Champion first arrives at Oribos; we are brought before The Arbiter and Tal-Inara says that "I saw the Arbiter stir for the first time in many cycles" - Now while we can not know for sure what they mean by "many cycles" - Considering the overall passage of time which is indicated whenever it's brought up as we traverse the Shadowlands; they seem to acknowledge that "A long a** time is a long a** time"

Yet we know; thanks to the Afterlives Revendreth that Garrosh is chained up and being milked as a cow somewhere. So these "many cycles" would need to be in-between the beginning of WoD and the present? Would it not? Which if true; means time should flow HELLA slower and that when we come back in "2 years" - it might just have been but a week and Magni is still trying to get us to snort some Azerite powder?

The only ways I could see it going otherwise now would be if:

One: Time moving differently does not just mean faster or slower; it can be both - So because "plot"; Maybe time will just spin 100 years into the future while we are in the Shadowlands?

(And NO; I will not argue that - ^ If this point is the case, we should see changes each month or so whenever we teleport back to Org, although it would make sense lore-wise. Locking all character above 50 into the Shadowlands zones til the next xpack drops would not fly for anyone)

Two: Garrosh's "death" is time-stamped at the time of death in the past. Meaning that it is a potential of 40+ ? years from his death til we arrive in the Shadowlands.

Many also argue that the soul which broke the Arbiter; due to being red and just YEETing itself in from left-field; is the soul of argus; In which case i feel it only would solidify that time is indeed just moving slower in the Shadowlands.
    The funniest jokes on MMO-Champ in order: (This signature is not calling out anyone in SPECIFIC and is thus not breaking any rules)
    1: All the moderators that does not know how to handle this webpage.
    2: Whoever set up the auto-bot that does not know the rules.
    3: The rules and guidelines themselves.
    Speaking of jokes:https://i.imgur.com/MaBzzAR.png

A “cycle” could be “weeks” in Shadowlands. There is no translation to what a cycle is to them. The perception is years but who really knows

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Meta View Post
    So I have spotted many a threads which speaks about people thinking we would get another "time travle" expansion with how Ion (Or someone else from Blizz) confirmed that "Time flows differently in the Shadowlands"; people began suspecting all these into the future potentials - But has this not already been debunked by in-game dialogue?

During the introduction when The Champion first arrives at Oribos; we are brought before The Arbiter and Tal-Inara says that "I saw the Arbiter stir for the first time in many cycles" - Now while we can not know for sure what they mean by "many cycles" - Considering the overall passage of time which is indicated whenever it's brought up as we traverse the Shadowlands; they seem to acknowledge that "A long a** time is a long a** time"

Yet we know; thanks to the Afterlives Revendreth that Garrosh is chained up and being milked as a cow somewhere. So these "many cycles" would need to be in-between the beginning of WoD and the present? Would it not? Which if true; means time should flow HELLA slower and that when we come back in "2 years" - it might just have been but a week and Magni is still trying to get us to snort some Azerite powder?

The only ways I could see it going otherwise now would be if:

One: Time moving differently does not just mean faster or slower; it can be both - So because "plot"; Maybe time will just spin 100 years into the future while we are in the Shadowlands?

(And NO; I will not argue that - ^ If this point is the case, we should see changes each month or so whenever we teleport back to Org, although it would make sense lore-wise. Locking all character above 50 into the Shadowlands zones til the next xpack drops would not fly for anyone)

Two: Garrosh's "death" is time-stamped at the time of death in the past. Meaning that it is a potential of 40+ ? years from his death til we arrive in the Shadowlands.

Many also argue that the soul which broke the Arbiter; due to being red and just YEETing itself in from left-field; is the soul of argus; In which case i feel it only would solidify that time is indeed just moving slower in the Shadowlands.
    You start off with a flawed statement. We never had a time travel expansion. In WoD, Kairoz used his power and that hourglass thingy to find and alternate Draenor that was the closest to the one we knew a d ripped it from it's timeline into ours into the current time.

If you want toe get technical though, TBC was the time travel expansion since it introduced the Caverns of Time and sent us back un time for two dungeons and a raid.

We have seen souls get by the maw since the machine of death has broken. Gareosh may just be one of them. But it's probably best just to play the game and see how it unfolds.

You also ignore that game play trumps lore. It's the reason pir suicide mission to Draenor was short. Because locking players in Draenor for a year or more would have been a disaster. Same with use being able to get back to Azeroth. Not to mention you don't understand how much time it takes to make thise changes. Azeroth, if we are going to experience a jump forward, won't be seen until 10.0 or the point in 9.3 or later when we finally escape SL.
    Last edited by SirBeef; 2020-11-28 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rioriel View Post
    They can make up any old shit and justify it happening with some hand-waving tbh.
    Uh yes, Alex, "What are creative liberties and suspension of disbelief?"

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Time dilation can work in the negative as well as the positive. And so far from what we've seen of the Shadowlands, it seems to be negative there. 100 years in the Shadowlands might be 1 in Azeroth.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    A “cycle” could be “weeks” in Shadowlands. There is no translation to what a cycle is to them. The perception is years but who really knows
    This, we don't know what a cycle is...A cycle could be a "day" for all we know.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    You start off with a flawed statement. We never had a time travel expansion. In WoD, Kairoz used his power and that hourglass thingy to find and alternate Draenor that was the closest to the one we knew a d ripped it from it's timeline into ours into the current time.

If you want toe get technical though, TBC was the time travel expansion since it introduced the Caverns of Time and sent us back un time for two dungeons and a raid.

We have seen souls get by the maw since the machine of death has broken. Gareosh may just be one of them. But it's probably best just to play the game and see how it unfolds.

You also ignore that game play trumps lore. It's the reason pir suicide mission to Draenor was short. Because locking players in Draenor for a year or more would have been a disaster. Same with use being able to get back to Azeroth. Not to mention you don't understand how much time it takes to make thise changes. Azeroth, if we are going to experience a jump forward, won't be seen until 10.0 or the point in 9.3 or later when we finally escape SL.
    Ummm no the timeline was connected, not ripped or moved. Technically we still were "back in time" also as once the effects wore off the time is now synched again and Grom is old.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So far the only death we can reasonably pinpoint on a timeline is Lady Vash. We are sure she came through before things broke and that's about it unless I missed someone. Dream girl doesn't count since there is a 99.9999% chance Elune sent her over personally bypassing all the systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Meta View Post
    Alternate theory, the red soul is Y'sharj who finally died after we killed the heart. He broke the Arbitor and gave the Jailer the power boost he needed to break free of his restraints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing like this is ever debunked. Let's be honest. The devs do what they want. I would argue however that time moving in different rates isn't time travel at all. If there's a jump at the next expansion that's not really time travel.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Time flows weird in the Shadowlands itself, especially in the Maw, but I don't think that means we'll return to the overworld many decades in the future. It's just a bit too ambitious for WoW in my opinion. I think it would be really cool, to see a whole new half-familiar world with new/grown-up characters, new faction politics, new threats, but that'd be akin to worldbuilding Warcraft all over again from almost scratch. Maybe as a new game that would be a cool setting but it's too much for WoW.

More likely, I think what will happen is we'll fail to rescue Anduin in a timely manner and by the time we actually do bust him out he's gonna be looking like this:

There is more predictability in russian roulette than in how blizzard makes their choices about future products.
    Blizz could officially say one thing and within an hour decide to do the opposite without even telling anyone.

Dont look for things to "debunk" in a universe that can be retconned and altered to its bone.
    Besides, to me blizzard honestly looks like they do things while barely planning one step ahead if even that.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2020-11-28 at 10:27 PM.

i am pretty sure its time skip expansion not time travel expansion.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor