Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Wasn't this the one that didn't affect the presidential election according to the governor?
    I'm not sure! There have been so many, it's hard to keep track. At the bottom of the article it mentions:
    The Judge carefully explains at the end that harm would be done in tossing out 7 million votes of the people of Pennsylvania, but no harm is done in holding off until Dec 8th (the safe harbour date) to consider the evidence.
    So it SOUNDS like something that might be impactful. I dunno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I'm not sure! There have been so many, it's hard to keep track. At the bottom of the article it mentions:
    The Judge carefully explains at the end that harm would be done in tossing out 7 million votes of the people of Pennsylvania, but no harm is done in holding off until Dec 8th (the safe harbour date) to consider the evidence.
    So it SOUNDS like something that might be impactful. I dunno
    No, 7m is the total number of votes in PA. Only 10k votes would be affected, and Biden's margin is 80k, so...

Besides, the case is ridiculous. No voting rights were changed. Those votes still had to be turned in by 8pm on Election Day, they were just turned in to the federal government (ie, post office) as opposed to the local government. No extra time was allowed to the voter, just the government apparatus.

Bullshit lawsuits gonna bullshit.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think any judge will throw out 7 million votes. Not if they want to keep any form of credibility. At worst I can see them saying that the results stand but that the law needs to be changed in accordance with the constitution. But then, I'm not American and I might have too much faith in judges.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    No, 7m is the total number of votes in PA. Only 10k votes would be affected, and Biden's margin is 80k, so...
    Ok, cool. I need to stop reading r/conservative. On one hand, it's kinda funny, but on the other, it's freakin terrifying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I don't think any judge will throw out 7 million votes. Not if they want to keep any form of credibility. At worst I can see them saying that the results stand but that the law needs to be changed in accordance with the constitution. But then, I'm not American and I might have too much faith in judges.
    Agreed. They're using this farcically hypothetical alternative of throwing out 7m votes as an excuse to stop and look more closely at this lawsuit, in a thinly veiled attempt to lend it credence.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Or they can try to throw out all of PA's votes entirely as it sounds here...
    https://www.pennlive.com/elections/2...-electors.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    If they do that, PA is going to have 26 vacant spot in its congress.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...both the Republican speaker and majority leaders say: we have nothing to do with this, we don't want anything to do with this AND we're not letting it advance, YET 26 republicans are trying to crawl as far up Trump's ass as they can in order to deliver PA to him? Do I understand that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    If they do that, PA is going to have 26 vacant spot in its congress.
    Yup this is the funniest thing about this decision. The end of the state legislative terms is nov 30th so if this does not resolve before then basically all the state reps and half the state senate goes poof.

I ain't worried about this messing with current elections, but it does worry me about future elections in that state as they use these farce cases to throw wrenches in the state legislature to making voting even more difficult down the road.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    ummm, those 20 EV would be lost for both, no gain for Trump ? wtf is he doing then ??

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    ummm, those 20 EV would be lost for both, no gain for Trump ? wtf is he doing then ??
    Yup this kind of thing while stupid and frustrating does not change anything. Biden did not have an al gore like result he without PA he has GA and AZ and MI and nevada and any state not putting up electors brings the number of votes needed down by half of that states electors. So short of the scotus just dubbing trump emperor for life 4 or 5 states this just won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    I'm not positive on this, as I'm still struggling to understand trumphadis logic, but I think they have this notion that voiding PA's (and other states) electoral college votes would then make it so that neither candidate gets to 270 in the hopes that it gets pushed into Congress to decide...

I'm not positive on this, as I'm still struggling to understand trumphadis logic, but I think they have this notion that voiding PA's (and other states) electoral college votes would then make it so that neither candidate gets to 270 in the hopes that it gets pushed into Congress to decide...
    Then they don't know how it works. If a state's EVs are "voided" then they are also taken away from the total EVs, meaning the amount needed to win would then be less than 270. It wouldn't change Biden's win at all.

But that only would happen on a tie. Otherwise as long as biden has more electors he still wins. Every state that does not put forth electors lowers the threshold for amount needed by half of its EV value. So if PA which I think has 20 ev did not post electors then biden needs 260 to win and so on. If its not a tie you can also get a situation where pelosi becomes acting president until some of the election stuff actually finishes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump and his lackeys can't stop losing: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has dismissed with prejudice Mike Kelly and Sean Parnells lawsuit to have mail-in voting declared unconstitutional and block certification of election results in PA.

The courts reasoning is pretty predictable: They waited too long to sue about mail-in voting and such.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Trump and his lackeys can't stop losing: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has dismissed with prejudice Mike Kelly and Sean Parnells lawsuit to have mail-in voting declared unconstitutional and block certification of election results in PA.

The courts reasoning is pretty predictable: They waited too long to sue about mail-in voting and such.
    Yup if they thought this was a problem why is it just now being brought up and not before or after the primaries.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Then they don't know how it works.
    The degree to which Trumpists don't understand the law and the democratic process is staggering. I've seen so many people suggest that they're filing these pathetic lawsuits with the intent of losing and appealing to the SCOTUS at which point they'll unload the "real" evidence. And obviously they don't understand what actually constitutes evidence in the first place.

Reading the article about this resolution, it looks purely performative, just like that "hearing" the other day. The legislative session ends in a couple days and they're not even scheduled to consider it. It's just a way for these scumbags to look like they're "fighting for Trump" to their constituents without putting any skin in the game.

And in that regard it echoes this whole charade. They're just grifting donations and votes out of Trump's loyal fanatics, and perpetuating the narrative for as long as they can to try and squeeze every last drop before they move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    The degree to which Trumpists don't understand the law and the democratic process is staggering. I've seen so many people suggest that they're filing these pathetic lawsuits with the intent of losing and appealing to the SCOTUS at which point they'll unload the "real" evidence. And obviously they don't understand what actually constitutes evidence in the first place.

Reading the article about this resolution, it looks purely performative, just like that "hearing" the other day. The legislative session ends in a couple days and they're not even scheduled to consider it. It's just a way for these scumbags to look like they're "fighting for Trump" to their constituents without putting any skin in the game.

And in that regard it echoes this whole charade. They're just grifting donations and votes out of Trump's loyal fanatics, and perpetuating the narrative for as long as they can to try and squeeze every last drop before they move on.
    Also I am pretty sure on appeal the only thing presented to the appelet or supreme court is stuff directly related to what you appealed on. A lot of these appeals even if they get to scotus and scotus chooses to do something would really only have a remedy of punting it back down to the original court with some extra instructions and if those courts choose not to expedite its all going to be mooted in the next couple weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Also I am pretty sure on appeal the only thing presented to the appelet or supreme court is stuff directly related to what you appealed on. A lot of these appeals even if they get to scotus and scotus chooses to do something would really only have a remedy of punting it back down to the original court with some extra instructions and if those courts choose not to expedite its all going to be mooted in the next couple weeks.
    I don't see this legal time frame working out before the electors vote in December. I'm pretty sure this is just Trump's last con in office.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.