Thread: Oribos is awful

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

I'd remove some of the walls so we have more views of the pretty skybox, and remove the inane no-mount zones as well. Do that and it's a pretty good capital.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind it. Not my favorite, but it could have been worse.

Also, I loved Boralus. It felt like a real city, it may have been even better than Suramar. The music was spot on as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vlange View Post
    That's because in reality cities like that are usually not designed, they grow that way. So it's pretty awesome how they designed a city as if it grew like a european harbor city in the 1400's. For the same reason I think Dazzar'alor was very cool too, just has everything too far away from eachother. But it's an RPG so theme is often more important than player comfort.
    I live in a English harbour city with shipyards. Yeah, there's places like that from the middle ages but the entire city isn't like that.

In the end it's still a game. They could have designed it a little more efficiently while still holding to the theme.
    Last edited by Malania; 2020-11-26 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Not really European anymore I guess

I am also really disappointed with Oribos as it just feels generic, like SWTOR or any other lazy MMO's capital with new textures. It is clear that very little work has been put into it... Definitely the worst WoW capital in my opinion. I'll try to stay away from it as much as possible.
    Last edited by Loeko; 2020-11-29 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loeko View Post
    I am also really disappointed with Oribos as it just feels generic, like SWTOR or any other lazy MMO's capital with new textures. It is clear that very little work has been put into it... Definitely the worst WoW capital in my opinion. I'll try to stay away from it as much as possible.
    Very little work has been put into it?

What are you smoking and are you willing to share with the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post

What are you smoking and are you willing to share with the rest of us?
    He's right. Oribos feels very low effort compared to the capitals of past expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Well, looking at Dazar'Alor and Boralus, I'm taking zero risk saying that yes, less work has been put into Oribos, most of it being for textures, as architecturally, it simply looks like a copy/paste of what you find in random generic MMOs.

That said, it's not necessarily a bad thing for the rest of the game, as maybe too much work was put in the BFA capitals and not enough on other parts of the game, but still, Oribos feels like the most generic / low effort capital I've ever seen in WoW.

The only thing I don't like about Oribos is half the city won't let you mount. Pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by vlange View Post
    That's because in reality cities like that are usually not designed, they grow that way. So it's pretty awesome how they designed a city as if it grew like a european harbor city in the 1400's. For the same reason I think Dazzar'alor was very cool too, just has everything too far away from eachother. But it's an RPG so theme is often more important than player comfort.
    I think you are overthinking

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    The only thing I don't like about Oribos is half the city won't let you mount. Pretty stupid.
    We are in agreement, balls balls balls balls. Would you like some bubblegum? I heard you're all out.
    Last edited by Niratias; 2020-11-29 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Adding

it's a vidyagame city and not a RPG city

aka it's soulless

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    It would be better if it didnt arbitrarily not let you mount in some parts while its okay in others.

Just make the whole place mountable or give it a speed buff thing like Shrine.
    I absolutely agree with this. It looks decent enough, but the mounting restriction is just asinine. Just make no-mount zones around the important NPCs, but let people ride in the extremely wide halls otherwise or give a speed buff as you said.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    it's a vidyagame city and not a RPG city

aka it's soulless
    Which fits the concept... kind of.

The place needs more mailboxes.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post

I want to see Dalaran 3.0 that is huge n not restrained to Wotlk size...at least 7 times larger, totally new buildings, no copy-paste, as if this would be the first time Dalaran was created.
    I agree Dalaran was a bit small, especially for big populated servers, but 7 times bigger?? what for? decoration? we don't need real city proportions just for a trade quarter, a bank, a portal room and maybe half a dozen quest guivers. Oribos is already too big for what we have to do there....

... on topic, I agree. Oribos is Orible. I don't spend more time than necessary there and it's already a lot of unnecessary running. the upper level is gigantic for no reason. they should give us the speed buff à la Shrine or let us use mounts eveywhere

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't lag, so It's they best neutral hub city they've ever made. It's layout is simple and easy to navigate and after spending BFA in dazawhatever it's a massive breath of fresh air.
    Last edited by Amsden; 2020-11-29 at 08:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It lacks "middle-range" detail. Everything is either gigantic and structural, or small incidental detail. Most cities have things like buildings to fill out the mid-range detail, but Oribos has none of that. It's a similar design issue with Exodar.

As far as other cities... I don't really get the hate for Boralus. It was very compact in its design, but didn't feel cramped. Personally I think they should have moved the actual city part to the uptown borough:

But it is what it is.

Dalaran, of course, is still the best city (No wonder the reused it in legion.) Compact design without feeling cramped, layout isn't confusing, design feels integrated instead of incidental.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazjin View Post
    I don't wanna spend one second more than I have to in that dreary city... What were they thinking?
    blizz creating a huge main hub with a lot of details, buildings etc:
    "OMG I hate this, this sucks, what where they thinking?"

blizz creating a smaller main hub with everything being easy and fast to access:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easyclassictopkeklel View Post
    blizz creating a huge main hub with a lot of details, buildings etc:
    I really don't recall many people having issues with Dalaran, outside of maybe lag.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.