Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Expansions after Shadowlands....

A bit early yes, but what are some possible expansions that could come after Shadowlands?

In my view, a definite one is going to be us having to fight Yrel's Lightbound. I really think that they are the new Burning Legion, and will be a major threat very shortly.

The other expansion I see on the horizon is an expansion dealing with the underground Goblin continent of Undermine. Undermine is a classic piece of Warcraft lore, and was even a planned continent in early iterations of WoW. There's even a nice open sport to the west of the Maelstrom where a few new continents can go, so I think Undermine will be located there. I also believe that Blizzard is going to tie New Gadgetzhan and the underground mechanical war to this expansion.

What do you think the next WoW expansions will be thematically speaking?

The next expansion will either go back to more down-to-earth matters (maybe another world revamp) or have a heavy Light vs. Void theme. I don't think we'll be dealing with alternate universe shenanigans anytime soon after Blizzard's experience with WoD. Goblin expansion could be a thing but I don't realistically see it happening. People aren't that interested in them. Could be a content patch though.

Blizzard already said at last Blizzcon that they find a "Light and Void" expansion very interesting as a concept.

Key words: "Light and Void" expansion. Not just "Light expansion" or "Void expansion", so I think they will make an expansion that focuses on the eternal struggle between these two cosmic forces.

The set-up is obvious. Alleria and Turalyon rule the Alliance now, Calia is a major Horde figure, somehow the whispers that Alleria hears have WORSENED after the defeat of the last Old God, coincidentally Danuser recently confirmed that slain Naaru/Old Gods return to the Light/Void (which means the Old Gods are not dead dead, same for Xe'ra), Turalyon wants to reclaim former Alliance holdings, Yrel is lurking somewhere, Xal'atath is lurking somewhere, Azshara is lurking somewhere, the Light and Void invaded the Shadowlands many times in the past, the Light has a "pact" with the Jailer, Sargeras is out of the picture (which means that they can start making power moves), etc.

But there is just SO MUCH they would have to cover, so at this point I wonder if they can really dedicate only ONE expansion to both Light and Void. It might be better to just split them between two different expansions. Maybe one could revolve around the realm of Light (and AU Draenor, which is in a scorched/dessicated state 30 years after WoD), and the other could revolve around the realm of the Void. Maybe the final patch of a Light expansion could tie into an expansion about the Void Lords, like 6.2 did with Legion.

One thing is for certain, if they cram all these Light and Void storylines into ONE SINGLE EXPANSION, then it will easily be the biggest and most climactic expansion WoW has ever had in its history.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-11-29 at 10:09 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing in typical WoW fashion 10.0 will be something of a filler. Probably Dragon Isles/Dragonflight stuff. Hope for a world revamp tacked on for extra content.

11.0 I think is gonna be the next big "finale" for WoW, in a long string of big finales. Light and Void (cosmic forces now not mortal armies) come to Azeroth and everything goes to hell.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Every time I think "what more could they do than the final cosmic showdown between good and evil" they pull something else out so...who knows.

I think it depends entirely on where this expac goes, which has relatively little foreshadowing as to how it will end up. We knew legion would thoroughly exhaust us of them as an enemy for a while. We knew BFA was actually going to be about saving Azeroth from the old gods. We don't really know how this expac will end, except Zovaal did say he wanted Azeroths soul or whatever. If he's after the titan too, as with the last 2 expacs....kinda lame but, whatever.

How many more times can we have a big bad going after our planet before she finally gets born and we move on? Getting kinda old. That being said, once she does get born I feel it will fast track us right to the ultimate "cosmic forces battle for the fate of the universe" expac that will end WoW. Or at least, the big, main story of WoW. I could see them doing more basic simple adventures after the big story ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I'm guessing in typical WoW fashion 10.0 will be something of a filler. Probably Dragon Isles/Dragonflight stuff. Hope for a world revamp tacked on for extra content.

11.0 I think is gonna be the next big "finale" for WoW, in a long string of big finales. Light and Void (cosmic forces now not mortal armies) come to Azeroth and everything goes to hell.
    Yeah, which is why I think Undermine will be 10.0.

Legion - Fel
    BfA - Void
    Shadowlands - Death

They all essentially tied into eachother, i doubt they break the cycle now considering now it's semi confirmed that every cosmic force has their own plane of existence.

Blizzard has really fallen in love with this cosmic theme and they're now milking it dry, i don't think they are going take a step back from until they've had their fill on every theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Revamping the world makes little sense right after an expansion where they've revamped the entire leveling process.

I mean, Cata isn't even the most outdated questing content, TBC and Wotlk is and i doubt those will get a revamp anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    Teriz, every damn time I see you post or start a thread you are somehow connecting it with something tinker/mech in some way, and it's so obvious xD

I can see a big bad light/void expansion but if you really think we're going to get a whole expansion around underground mech goblins then I legitimately dont know what to say.

I know you're DESPERATE for Tinkers but jesus dude..

I think at best you're gonna see something najatar in scale with relation to Undermine. But I'm sorry theres no way I can see them doing an entire expansion around the goblins.
    Undermine could make a good city/zone/dungeon/raid though. I could see it being as big as a major content patch. I kinda think it would be cool as a captial city too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Teriz, every damn time I see you post or start a thread you are somehow connecting it with something tinker/mech in some way, and it's so obvious xD

I can see a big bad light/void expansion but if you really think we're going to get a whole expansion around underground mech goblins then I legitimately dont know what to say.

I know you're DESPERATE for Tinkers but jesus dude..

I think at best you're gonna see something najatar in scale with relation to Undermine. But I'm sorry theres no way I can see them doing an entire expansion around the goblins.

Not an expansion based on Goblins, an expansion based on a mechanical menace. It’s a common trope in fantasy and we’ve never had an expansion based around that theme.

There’s even lore to support it;

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_War

Imagine something like that becoming an Ultron style villain and attempting to wipe out or enslave organic life. We already have glimpses of this from titan constructs such as Mother who view organic life forms as corrupted from the curse of flesh. Imagine this IR-to infiltrating a lost titan facility and upgrading itself with titan tech? You can tie it to Goblins, Gnomes, and Mechgnomes because they’re best equipped to handle such a threat.

It’s not that I’m desperate for Tinkers, I’m desperate for something different than the typical faction war, Demons, Old Gods, Scourge/Death treadmill we’ve been on.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2020-11-29 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Legion - Fel
    BfA - Void
    Shadowlands - Death

They all essentially tied into eachother, i doubt they break the cycle now considering now it's semi confirmed that every cosmic force has their own plane of existence.

Blizzard has really fallen in love with this cosmic theme and they're now milking it dry, i don't think they are going take a step back from until they've had their fill on every theme.

Revamping the world makes little sense right after an expansion where they've revamped the entire leveling process.

I mean, Cata isn't even the most outdated questing content, TBC and Wotlk is and i doubt those will get a revamp anytime soon.
    Unless they revamp Azeroth as the new leveling experience 60-70 or whatever with a full revamp. I know times flies differently in the Shadowlands but maybe years have passed since then and things are already happening on Azeroth.

I'd be happy with a huge old world revamp, I'm really going to miss Azeroth with all the time we have to spend in Shadowlands. Maybe do a Cata 2.0 and add new zones in Azeroth that haven't been added yet. Dragon Isles, Tel'Abim, Plunder Isle, Hiji, some new places that we have never even heard off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I'd be happy with a huge old world revamp, I'm really going to miss Azeroth with all the time we have to spend in Shadowlands. Maybe do a Cata 2.0 and add new zones in Azeroth that haven't been added yet. Dragon Isles, Tel'Abim, Plunder Isle, Hiji, some new places that we have never even heard off.
    you will miss azeroth yet you want it changed and altered? maybe you had zidormi in mind

Quote Originally Posted by NordWitcher View Post
    Unless they revamp Azeroth as the new leveling experience 60-70 or whatever with a full revamp. I know times flies differently in the Shadowlands but maybe years have passed since then and things are already happening on Azeroth.
    The reasoning is less based on lore and more upon the reality that having a level revamp would be the smartest thing to bundle alongside a world revamp.
    The level revamp was done in SL, so following that up with something that should've happened in one bundle doesn't make a lot of sense.

And revamping Kalimdor and EK for 10 levels?
    You realize how few quests you'd only have on each zone, imagine the current amount of quests not split between four zones but 10+ for each continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    Every time I think "what more could they do than the final cosmic showdown between good and evil" they pull something else out so...who knows.

I think it depends entirely on where this expac goes, which has relatively little foreshadowing as to how it will end up. We knew legion would thoroughly exhaust us of them as an enemy for a while. We knew BFA was actually going to be about saving Azeroth from the old gods. We don't really know how this expac will end, except Zovaal did say he wanted Azeroths soul or whatever. If he's after the titan too, as with the last 2 expacs....kinda lame but, whatever.

How many more times can we have a big bad going after our planet before she finally gets born and we move on? Getting kinda old. That being said, once she does get born I feel it will fast track us right to the ultimate "cosmic forces battle for the fate of the universe" expac that will end WoW. Or at least, the big, main story of WoW. I could see them doing more basic simple adventures after the big story ends.
    You do realize there won't be this preplanned final expansion to end WoW. EQ2 just got it's 17th and no one plays that garbage and the original is approaching its 30th expansion and even less play. From what is out there I can easily see 10 more expansions and that is before any new lore is added and any revelations from this expansion. WoW won't be done until it's not making money. I can see it still going on my death bead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    If anything I'd settle for the new textures/skins. Because the old zones look bad. I'd love it we came back to a fucked up Azeroth 20-30 years into the future with totally remade zones.

Would be cool if there was a bigass continent in the southern hemisphere of Azeroth. Make it a breather expansion without any reality-ending threats. More intimate, down to earth. None of that forced faction war. Local conflicts and stories are comfy.

I don't know if I'm the only one in this but I absolutely fucking DETEST goblins and gnomes in WoW. They just ruin the fantasy aspect of WoW for me. Their ugly early-2000s-3d-platformer aesthetic, their machines and inventions that don't fit with the rest of the world and supposed time period. They just break my immersion. And the biggest sin of all, the absolute destruction of beautiful zones with those disgusting goblin settlements. Honestly, the less attention goblins and gnomes get, the better. Ew.

Just look at this picture and tell me it fits with the rest of WoW. Makes me sick really

pretty sure factions will be no more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    Just look at this picture and tell me it fits with the rest of WoW. Makes me sick really
    Absolutely. I think it adds a nice touch of variety in flavor to the game. I love the fact that Goblins are polar opposites of nature loving elves.

An entire continent of Goblin mayhem would be awesome, and a great change of pace.

Unfortunately I think Light and Void.
    I'm not a fan of their aesthetics, but they could add also some Demons (Burning Legion) comeback (in some part of the zone, to show that demons aren't defeated fully) to add some flavor to the cosmic war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    The next wow xpac will be called: World of Warcraft - LIFELANDS , we get to see the OTHER side of azeroth (U MEMBER I MEMBER) we get to fight kids from classic pouring in through the portal of the original world of warcraft. No leveling in this xpac: It's lvl 60s from clASSic vs lvl 60's from retail in an all out brawl for the other side of de' planet!

We also get to do something with the sword still stuck in the planet!! Finally

Anyway, so yeah the next xpac will be pretty awful, GG

How many expansions have been crafted well enough to be considered "good expansions?"