Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What is the worst computer program you have ever used?

Can be anything

I would say Paint - just too basic for me

I might get some flack from some hardcore Linux users but I hate VI. I could never wrap my head around tall the commands and I never took the time or patience to learn it. Its funny too because if I did take the time, I bet I would love it since I love keyboard commands.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW Launcher, ruined my life.

Probably anything that steals all your data but its to convenient / needed not to use, so you basically a data-slave. Anything from GeForce experience to some odd browser extension thats really nice but also spells humanity's privacy doom.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    I might get some flack from some hardcore Linux users but I hate VI. I could never wrap my head around tall the commands and I never took the time or patience to learn it. Its funny too because if I did take the time, I bet I would love it since I love keyboard commands.
    Never understood the VI/VIM/Emacs people, or how they act like they're gods for using their little terminal text editor. Like . . . who cares? And yes, I can quit VIM: Esc, then :WQ or :Q! if you don't want to save.

For me, it's most of Adobe's products. I don't even want to use Photoshop if I don't have to. I hate how uninstalling their crap is a nightmare.
    Putin khuliyo

Probably geOS on the commodore 64, or Dark Basic.

ArcGIS

/10char

Citrix, <-- fuck this fucking ancient piece of crap shoved down our throats because some Big ISP's wanted to cut corners a decade ago.
    Doesn't help that the majority of TC's are run by glorified accountants that think cost management = build one server in the arse end of fkn nowhere and link EVERYTHING AND THEIR MOTHER to it.

But seriously FUCK CITRIX.

you want to know how sucky this pos is...

It has it's own urban dictionary page

Citrix
    Better known as "Shitrix", this thin client system lags like you wouldn't believe, and loses your data and locks your session if your program crashes. Which it does. Frequently. Can't even run the same program twice.

You often have to wait up to 10 seconds for keypresses to register when connected to the servers.
    "I've got a crashed session on Citrix. Need admin to close it for me."

"'Shitrix' is lame, I want a proper system."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Citrix
    Last edited by Reinaerd; 2020-11-30 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows ME
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Pretty much any antivirus, good thing they have been obsolete for a decent while now.

Salesforce is one that drives me nuts. It has the least intuitive interface I've seen, with redundant menus and no way to navigate between items directly.

Poorly setup Google Analytics is pretty bad. When setup well, it's perfectly fine. But nobody ever takes the time to set it up well so it ends up being a jumbled mess where you have to practically do guesswork to get meaningful metrics.

Gnome Shell. It looks beautiful. It was some interesting ideas. But I'll be damned if it isn't the slowest workflow you can get out of the box. Extensions and setup can make it more useful, but trying to get it to look and work the way you want requires way too much effort when compared to other DEs.

i had to use printer installation software that still looked like windows 95 last month, but it couldn't deal with my modern router so it just kept getting worse and worse. even ragequitting it didn't save me as it returned after reboot somehow.

It could probably be rhinoceros 3d editor

Shit like Kaazaa and Limewire

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Never understood the VI/VIM/Emacs people, or how they act like they're gods for using their little terminal text editor. Like . . . who cares? And yes, I can quit VIM: Esc, then :WQ or :Q! if you don't want to save.

For me, it's most of Adobe's products. I don't even want to use Photoshop if I don't have to. I hate how uninstalling their crap is a nightmare.
    Haven't met these people.

Maybe some mega geeks do boast about their skills in vim in an overly fashion.

I use it myself for work day to day. It is extremely useful for a linux system administrator and other such jobs. Developers are usually in their IDEs but OS administrators usually have to work with vi or vim since it's often there with the distros.

Worst program. Hard to say. There are many. But I'd put the top dollar down to Windows' DWM integration and FSO/Gamebar BS, alongside with the integrated AV. Ruining the lives for us who care about the way our input feels. A lot of bloat + questionable developments.

Probably one of the worst I've dealt with for me was actually my old ATI 5750 graphics card. For whatever reason they had this thing with Overwolf when it was new and every single time you upgraded your drivers it would try and sneak that crap on to your PC. You had to do a custom install every single time because it was automatically set to shove this mess down your throat.

It actually got on my PC at one point early on. Jesus christ outside of maybe Norton I've never seen such a soul sucking performance stealing program that did basically nothing of real use in all of my life.

In the business world probably the worst thing I've used is this inventory/production management software we are now using called autocount. Its horrible. Most of the modules don't do anything, there is nowhere to put notes in on issues for production reports and if you need to return something to inventory that is larger than what it decides is ok the only way you can do it is to force log out of the production order. It's a nightmare.

No specific order:

Any version on Windows. After using Linux for the las 7 years I realize how poor my workflow is compared to LInux.
    Any software with a Java interface.
    Gnome3
    Firefox version 4 to 71
    Most Electron based apps.
    Skype post 4.3
    Unity desktop from Ubuntu.
    The Twitch App lol.
    WoW before we had the launcher. Manually update all the patches after reinstall from the 6 disks was a fucking pain.
    Probably most antivirus.

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    vi does suck, vim is great.

emacs too can go suck a schlong.

So do Adobe products. Bloated, slow and overpriced af software.

---

While Windows does it's job poorly, but it chugs along and doesn't interfere.

Linux, on the other hand:
    • software management is pita - distribution package management ala apt, pacman, yum, are nothing but glorified windows update - yet each distro insists I use apt to install user software - resulting in requiring root (!!!!!!!!!! WTF) password just to install git that is outdated by three versions. You want newest postgresql? You don't go to vendor official website and download official package, the "right" way is to add third party repo with up to date packages - third party one, SECURITEH! Locking some package version? Well, apt/pacman/yum needs newer version B so you can't update A. Bloated flatpaks. Fucking zips you extract whenever, because there's no .exe or .dmg unified installer for this piece of shit system. But hey, somehow "Linux has all my software just apt away" <- actual quote from a linux zealot moron, chocolatey on windows or even brew on macos are so much better it's not even funny
    • graphics are pita - nothing supports DPI scaling, only some half assed windows-like way. X? Graphics driver crashes - bye bye to every open GUI application, fucking Windows 98 style. Even Windows Vista showed a black screen for two seconds and you moved on with your life. Wayland, whatever the shit is now in use - not supported by a lot of things
    • constant rewriting of same shit instead of getting shit done - I get it, it's a volunteer project, there's no wage or project supervisor that makes you to fix your shit and get your shit done - it's way more fun to reinvent the wheel. Like, audio - during win xp/vista days I've changed from OSS to ALSA to OSS4 to ALSA again to PulseAudio, and JACK was there somewhere.
    • audio - yep, pita. Switching from bluetooth wireless to on board to external is fucking impossible - a lot of apps crash or refuse to change audio, ffff
    • community - jesus christ, fuck religious people, bunch of open software zealots
    fuck linux, if not this pos, we would be using freebsd on servers - a system that separates base and user software, not like linux which uses apt to fucking do both and failing both tasks, a system that is actually designed. Like original iPhone has set back phone development back like 5 years, linux did that for server OSes. But, inferior technology wins most of the time - javascript won, linux won, thanks Linus Torvalds, you suck!
    Last edited by ldev; 2020-12-02 at 01:00 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    Can be anything

I would say Paint - just too basic for me
    Windows Vista. Seriously, screw that #@$&.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

The ati catalyst thing they had a while back. I had numerous problems trying to get it to download and install drivers correctly, its what drove me to be a nvidia only buyer. Idgaf how good their cards are now, that experience was the worst.