Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    your own sexist strawman
    Quote or it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Quote or it didn't happen.
    look one quote up your whole post is a strawman about me going on about sexism which I didn't even mention as I was just pointing out that you were making shit up that never happened.

5+ Year Old Account
    you guys have an insane amount of conspiracy theory's surrounding the women.
    This looks like an awful and sad attempt at dismissing someone's opinion by just (implicitly) throwing the "sexist" moniker. And my original post about the matter wasn't even addressed at you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Thus does the nature of the F2P model, and by extension the mobile market, influence gaming as a whole. There are a LOT of people who willingly drop money as a way to pay to get ahead. But for every person that calculates and consciously decides to make a purchase within their means, there's another 10 who are victims of impulse-driven purchases, or psychological manipulation.

It's really not something I ever wanted to see in the gaming industry. But with the profits being as large as they are, I guess it was inevitable. I'd rather have this golden age of gaming than the oldschool nerd niche culture and lack of options. But the predatory business models really piss me off.

Just make a good, quality game, and people will pay for it. There's literally no reason to bank on cash shops and MTX to make a profit in a B2P game with a subscription.
    I for one am especially concerned by FOMO-tactics.

Granted, WoW always had things that would become unavailable with the release of a new expansion. They outright removed certain things for no reason other than to do so.

But it didn't feel as if they were constantly trying to add shit that they could then market with "GET IT BEFORE IT'S GONE LOL!!"... Which happens these days, and I bet that the more they get away with it, the more they'll do it in various parts of the game.

I'm also weary as to how they'll begin expanding on the store/start using FOMO for it too, as they so nicely got away with that "See you later!"-pack where they removed x store mounts. Granted, I can ignore the store. I'd still like them to slash prices on character services though. It's the principle at this point. They shouldn't design content with the idea of "keeping us playing". They should design it based on the idea that we'd WANT to keep playing.
    A principle I feel has begun to erode in later years. Maybe I'm growing jaded, but I don't think so. I'm not the kind of personality that grows jaded with stuff.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-12-02 at 12:23 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    This looks like an awful and sad attempt at dismissing someone's opinion by just (implicitly) throwing the "sexist" moniker.
    Sure is a good thing that wasn't my whole post right? that I pointed out that you saying she joined the team permanently in mop is something that just didn't happen and that she didn't join the team as even a temp until three years later?

your the only one going on about sexist bud Implied or other wise all I did was point out that you made up some complete bullshit and that it's a common theme regarding golden in this thread.

And my original post about the matter wasn't even addressed at you lol.
    its also a public forum if you don't want people to reply to you Pm people
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-12-02 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I for one am especially concerned with the FOMO-tactics.

Granted, WoW always had things that would become unavailable with the release of a new expansion. They outright removed certain things for no reason other than to do so.

But it didn't feel as if they were constantly trying to add shit that they could then market with "GET IT BEFORE IT'S GONE LOL!!"... Which happens these days, and I bet that the more they get away with it, the more they'll do it in various parts of the game.

I'm also weary as to how they'll begin expanding on the store/start using FOMO for it too, as they so nicely got away with that "See you later!"-pack where they removed x store mounts.
    I've never liked FOMO. Removing content in order to artificially inflate participation probably looks good on paper, but comes at the overall weakening of the product. It's development time and content thrown away that could have been re-used over and over to enhance the depth of the game permanently.

But taking it up a notch with mobile tactics...uhg. I completely agree that we're seeing more of it, and that it's not good. And given the stated Acti-Blizz intent of moving towards focusing more on the mobile market, and given how much money they're already making with things like Call of Duty mobile....I suspect we're going to see more FOMO rather than less.

You can have job titles that are the same to cover different areas, from the sound of it she’s the senior writer for cinematics, novels/novellas, song lyrics ect which would mean she has pull when it comes to how those things come out but not the story in of it’s self as she work work on the lore team. not really a hard concept to grasp unless you think those are one man jobs or like the overwatch or diablo lore writers have some sort of pull on where wows story goes.

As to rather some one sexist or not all I’m saying is that it’s rather suspect when they latch onto a women writer and attribute any negative they can to them based on absolutely nothing like say how you did earlier in the thread.

It doesn’t have to be sexism though it could be any number of other things that invalidate an opinion which in this case would be the fact that Golden’s already laid out her job role and the teams she’s not on.
    No no. It only looks like sexism because it's a woman being criticized. Why is it ok to criticize men but as soon as someone does it to a woman, it's sexism? And once again, saying she has absolutely no pull in the lore when she writes novels and cinematics is utterly asinine. She's an utter trash writer and always has been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Not on plot, she can influence, she can propose a direction, but ultimately, she doesnt decide. The guys with the huge egos do pointless to blame her, if she was the source of the plot, they okayed it and werent good enough to see it was bad, still lies on them
    That's stupid as hell. Saying that only the people who approve things are to blame does nothing but try to avoid blaming Golden for anything. They're ALL to blame.

Why is it that people have a problem with Golden and not the other writers?

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Afrasiabi is the idiot who told BFA writers do whatever you do and do not pay attention to feedback or ready people reaction on the forums. Glad he left.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    No no. It only looks like sexism because it's a woman being criticized. Why is it ok to criticize men but as soon as someone does it to a woman, it's sexism? And once again, saying she has absolutely no pull in the lore when she writes novels and cinematics is utterly asinine. She's an utter trash writer and always has been.
    I don’t know about you but I haven’t seen any one making up conspiracy theory’s about the male writers being the ones who ruin the lore even though they don’t work on the lore team or that they spawned a characters that was built up two years before they touched them or that they were hired 3 years before they actually were or any thing else.

Though personally I’d just put the people making such nonsense claims based on nothing in the incompetent camp not the sexist one.

As to her making cinematic’s or novels as the quote I posted a page or so back says all they do in that regard is try and make the game teams ideas real not make up the ideas them selfs. For novels she of course has a lot of say in what goes into them as blizzard is obvious rather hands off with them and always have been but any kind of meaningful pull seems to stand and end in them as the game doesn’t tend to stick hard to what the books build and golden has said numinous times she doesn’t work in the ingame lore team.

As for her skill as a writer I’d say she a solid Meh, not the worse but not good enough to be in the good camp.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-12-02 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Because I actually liked the 'War of the ancient' trilogy. And especially the Ashbringer comics. Behind the Black Portal too, as for the rest, not too much of interest in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    "Real" MMORPG means not having the lionshare of your content be singleplayer. Pretty objective, no?

I admit I only recall reading a couple books by her;
    Fairly formulaic;

But I really liked;

5+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you haven't realised how badly were roasted guys like Knaak or Kosak back in the day, or Danuser/Afrasiabi now. Hell, even Metzen himself got a lot of flak back in BC with his egregious retcon of Draenei. Knaak in particular was so widely disliked that perhaps that's the reason for Blizzard to have started, slowly but firmly, to de-canonify most of his stuff. 404 Med'an anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasil View Post
    Maybe he's been involved in some #metoo stuff grabbing colleagues asses or something that forced him to leave and Blizzard sweeping it under the rug tp avoid bad publicity right before upcoming release of Shadowlands?
    do you have a fucking shred of proof of that? lets not get into speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    So the improvement started almost a decade after she started writing for Blizzard, yet a few years before she became anything more than a writer for hire often used by the company? And that has to do with her how, exactly? Also, WoW is constantly negatively compared in the writing department to TESO, FFXIV and SW:TOR. Sometimes even GW2. Which makes for all major competitors of WoW right now. So even if that improvement had anything to do with Golden, which you utterly failed to establish here, the results still wouldn't be exactly what you claim.

And you know what really speaks volumes here? The fact that my criticism wasn't about a lore nitpick, but about the abysmal research process on her part that caused the fuck-up that created the thing to be "nitpicked" in the first place (though given how she blew the Forsaken characterization across the board and I was just using the most glaring example from the perspective of what my criticism actually was, calling it a nitpick isn't accurate to begin with, because nitpicks are by definition related to tiny problems). I.e. the cause, not the effect. Which I spelled out right. Yet you had to twist it and harp on the effect of what I actually criticized, because you couldn't have defended her otherwise.

Uh-huh. Except by your totally not bullshit definition Danuser isn't a decision-maker either. Yet you called him that. Because the Lead Narrative Designer like Danuser still answers to WoW's Senior Creative Director of WoW like Afrasiabi, who in turn can be overturned either by the Game Director Ion or the Chief Creative Director of Blizzard like whoever is Pardo's replacement, who can still be overturned by people even higher up.

And even putting aside how your completely not arbitrary definition is so narrow as to be meaningless (it's almost as if you made it out of a desperate need to score a point or something), none of that changes the fact that by Blizzard's own admission the bulk of their creative process is a team job, with hands off approach from the higher ups (which led to things like Afrasiabi, then world designer, completely ignoring the planned direction for Garrosh when he wrote the Stonetalon questline, which was caught by absolutely no one and which Afrasiabi admitted years after the fact was his fault). And there's absolutely squat you can do about it.

So yeah, this is just sad indeed.

From your experience a writer can't write a character that's bigoted without being a bigot themselves, so your experience isn't exactly some golden standard of evidence. Is Danuser a woman too? Because he gets shit on constant basis too. And when it comes to WoW book writers, no one will ever beat Knaak in that department. Who for some weird reason also does not appear to be a woman.
    Ahh yes because people hated a man it's impossible to hate the woman because she's woman. That's just a bad as the I can't be racist I have a Black friend defense.

Lol, have you been to the forums? Steve Danuser is the main scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Ahh yes because people hated a man it's impossible to hate the woman because she's woman. That's just a bad as the I can't be racist I have a Black friend defense.
    Give a proof that Golden is hated just because she is a woman instead of being talentless hack.

Kinda glad he's gone, never liked the guy after WoD. On another note haven't heard anything about ghostcrawler in a while.
    Last edited by tripleh; 2020-12-02 at 10:38 AM.

Beats me. Just seems like she is the scapegoat for all their frustrations with the direction and plots they dont like.

I remember Knaak receiving similar treatment , although his criticism was based on how he wrote the stories and the plots, not the actual plots and direction of the lore.

These mofos are blaming Golden for the direction of the lore and outcomes even if some ideas came from her, the ones who decide whether it goes in to the game or not are the ones their anger should be directed at for bad plots.

You can dislike Golden for how she portrays Anduin, but she didnt decide Anduin would be a goodly priest, she is told his character by those who govern and are responsible for these things then ask writers to bring it out.

I'm sure the writer can contribute and influence how the development takes place with their own ideas, but its others who determine whether those ideas become a part of the lore, so the buck lies with them even in that scenario, and not o e of these mofos can tell if any lore idea they dont like originates from Golden herself.

U see no way she is to blame for them not liking the lore

Hold her accountable for her writing style if you must, but not thi gs you cant prove she does or does not and that she has no authority to determine in the game..

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    *snip*
    Your post is completely pointless, because if you red anything other than the post you responded to, you would know that Golden isnt the only writer being blamed.

Unless you willfully ignore it, like you have a tendency to do.