Poll: What covenant did you choose?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Covenant choice was probably my hardest decision ever in WoW.

I was split 50/50 between Venthyr and Necrolords. Finally went Necro because I liked the idea of the stitchery a lot more than the weekly party.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Really weird many resto went with night fae, it’s basically the only covenant no site I have read suggests ever, at least group PvE side.
    They don't care about their performance because they don't play at a level where their performance matters.

Nightfae, resto druid.

Best ability in most situation. Not that fond of the the whole cutsie stuff and squicky voices but hey... just let some metal play in the background and it is ok.

Your not that involved with the covenants anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    God forbid people pick covenants that are not "recommended" by interwebz sites Maybe less people care about those sites than you thought?
    I'd rather make my own choice than let myself be told what choices I should make - especially in a game.
    It was not meant to be a “scolding”, was just curious about the choice.

I’ll go Venthyr or Necro anyways, no covenant fits a Panda resto shaman and I hate night fae, so I’ll pick whatever fits best utility wise between Vent and Nec.

Night Fae for Enh Shaman.

Best zone, best xmog, free 3x blink and defensive, and class ability fills in the downtime in the rotation, plus gives an instant cast aoe heal thats pretty damn chunky, which also scales with mastery.

Venthyr is also going to get nerfed. Its out performing every other covenant in AOE by a huge margin, no way it stays that way for any amount of time. Its likely going to get diminished damage on non targeted enemies.

Went necro lord for resto/ele. Maining resto for my raid/mythic+ groups and wow does it allow for some really clutch play.

Aside from that, it also helps for spot spread healing, something shamans struggle with. Happy with my choice so far as a resto.

For ele I also enjoy the necrolord talent but find it a little more cumbersome to maximize. Really need a way to spread flame shock quicker to get some true oomph out of it. Though when the AoE is more sustained it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sezh View Post
    They don't care about their performance because they don't play at a level where their performance matters.
    This is not true. Performance in raids and where it matters is more than just producing more HPs numbers. You can't do ANY healing at all if you are dead, so abilities that keep you alive or buff other players will make you indirectly produce more healing in the long term. There is no way theoycraft this and this is also not that show up on healing meters.

We have many abilities that are very powerful that do not produce and numbers on the meters, but people still avoid them.

Night Fae for raiding as resto shaman at least during progression is king as the blink and mobility will make you survive and learn the encounters more efficiently. I take that over being 3% behind on some meter no one remembers 2 hours later. Also in dungeons with Fae Transfusion on every pack I am doing around 2.3k dps next to my healing at the moment. Which also matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin20 View Post
    This is not true. Performance in raids and where it matters is more than just producing more HPs numbers. You can't do ANY healing at all if you are dead, so abilities that keep you alive or buff other players will make you indirectly produce more healing in the long term. There is no way theoycraft this and this is also not that show up on healing meters.

We have many abilities that are very powerful that do not produce and numbers on the meters, but people still avoid them.

Night Fae for raiding as resto shaman at least during progression is king as the blink and mobility will make you survive and learn the encounters more efficiently. I take that over being 3% behind on some meter no one remembers 2 hours later. Also in dungeons with Fae Transfusion on every pack I am doing around 2.3k dps next to my healing at the moment. Which also matters.
    So, why exactly every site is telling us to avoid NF?

It’s just a simple question, I am curious since in 3-4 days I’ll have to chose my resto covenant too.

15+ Year Old Account
    The ability is just weak atm you have to Channel it first and then use extra global to fire healing part, it's doing same dmg on 1 target, which may be good actually, and on 6 targets which is not that grate in comparison.
    On top of healing being cast around you so not ideal usage for healer as standing in mele where most shit is going on may be not what you want to be doing generally ������
    Although if you like a esthetic you can play around it i suppose, who will stop you? and also no one knows where next tuning will put things although making some serious shifts when ppls started inwesting resources may be a bad idea for blizz ������ would say we have 2-3 weeks to put things closer to each other and not making ppls go totally berserk in the proces ������

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

It’s just a simple question, I am curious since in 3-4 days I’ll have to chose my resto covenant too.
    Because people want to know what make them produce the most numbers. So guides will cater to that mindset.

Guides can sometimes be wrong and they change all rhe time. They are mostly subjective afterall.

The real answer is "it depends"

Anyway there will be tuning. So if its indeed
    Last edited by Tesshin83; 2020-12-01 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Night Fae for Enh Shaman.

Best zone, best xmog, free 3x blink and defensive, and class ability fills in the downtime in the rotation, plus gives an instant cast aoe heal thats pretty damn chunky, which also scales with mastery.

Venthyr is also going to get nerfed. Its out performing every other covenant in AOE by a huge margin, no way it stays that way for any amount of time. Its likely going to get diminished damage on non targeted enemies.

The zone ended up being my favorite too, surprisingly.

I went Venthyr on my DK. It seemed thematic.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAlaska View Post
    The zone ended up being my favorite too, surprisingly.

I went Venthyr on my DK. It seemed thematic.
    I went Venthyr for the DK as well, the class ability of becoming a whirling ball of blood and death seems too much fun not to have for a blood dk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necrolord. The extra cast of riptide was way too good to give up. The shield is extremely lackluster, unfortunately, due to the cast time. I basically only use it on pre-pulls for mythics (and only if I remember it, lol) and in Torghast when I get the int buff when shield is up power. The nightfae blink was extremely tempting. But the riptide from Necro finally swayed me. The base stat buff spreading to other party members that we just picked up with the second soulbind companion this week is also bonkers.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

Not sure which sites you read, but nothing I read said to AVOID Fae, just that the class skill is worse than other covenants, HOWEVER, most guides also mention the fact that the skill isn't everything, and when you add soulbinds to the mix, Fae are looking absolutely competitive. Of course, things will be changing from week to week, for example Dreamweaver is particularly strong early on with 2 potency slots, but later on things will shift again I expect. Not to mention all the balancing that will be done once raids come out.

In the end, if you're not going for world firsts, it hardly matters anyway, clearing full mythic will still be absolutely doable with not the most optimal covenants. Now, getting people to understand that on the other hand...that will be the real challenge I suppose.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

Venthyr, because vampires, never changed my mind since Blizzcon.

i chose kyrian.

power>versalility=playstyle>aestetics played a part in my decision.
    it seems to be overall the strongest covenants across my 3 specs for the content i like to play.
    playstyle and aestetics they are in my top 2.
    the owlkin is pretty "meh" compared to the other covenants ulility spells imo. i dont like the whole religous cult vipe.

edit: whoops didnt see it was shaman class forum
    Last edited by mojusk; 2020-12-02 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    All of them had something i wanted form them...

Bastion has the best offensive ability
    Maldraxxus has the best transmogs/ mount
    Ardenweald has the best zone appearance/ story/ reasons for joining (contain the jailer)
    Rivendrath for its secondary transport ability

Ultimately chose rivendrath as my dk alt will go maldraxxus, and druid go Ardenweald and not really interested in bastion that much.
    Best offensive?!
    You have to elaborate that one.

But alas, for me it was the boney boys, with ned flanders ass plague doctor.

I just love em lorewise, design wise, good transmog, nice defensive shield, and while their covenant ability isn't BIS for Enhancement, it's still pretty good, and very powerful for the other two speccs.
    Having 3 riptides is just way too fun.
    Last edited by LordTakeo; 2020-12-02 at 03:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    "Real" MMORPG means not having the lionshare of your content be singleplayer. Pretty objective, no?

15+ Year Old Account
    I picked Necro on my priest and will probably do the same with my shaman. I was torn between them and Vent but ended up going Necro as the spells, abilities, mounts, and pet all looked better to me than Vent when I factored everything in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurosh View Post
    Night Fae actually is like gust of wind. Door of Shadows has a cast time... and is a teleport, not a blink.
    Yes a teleport that allows you to teleport on top of ledges and across gaps. The Night Fae one stops at walls and at the end of a ledge if you are close to it. When I was leveling up I used Door of Shadows to get to areas above me without having to run way around places to get where I needed to go. Much more utility than a blink was.

Now this thread is interesting. Given I’m still leveling, I am actually in Anderweald and I’m hating it. The zone is gorgeous but the story is horrible for me.

I’m using my resto shaman atm, it’s curious that some resto here chose night fae as covenant, it’s the only one no sites recommend.
    Of the 4 zones (and I guess you could say the Maw too if you really want to lol) Ardenweald was the most boring place to be outside of the last 1/3 of the Wildseed quest. That's saying a lot since Bastion was a snoozefest too because of their holier than thou attitude that comes across in their campaign quests. The reason why Night Fae isn't recommended on any site is....well read below and you'll see why its not specifically stated as "not recommended".

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    God forbid people pick covenants that are not "recommended" by interwebz sites Maybe less people care about those sites than you thought?
    For the ultra casual player they usually don't care about sites like that because they don't care about doing anything other than RP'ing, maybe heroic dungeons, raid finder, leveling alts, pet battles, or just going world quests. None of those things really require much input from sites where it recommends talents or in this case covenants & soulbinds. The truth of the matter is all of those things I listed can be easily pushed through without paying attention to the majority of mechanics. If mechanics can be ignored then why would talents, covenants, or soulbinds matter either?

This is not true. Performance in raids and where it matters is more than just producing more HPs numbers.
    I fully agree with you that numbers aren't the only deciding factor when it comes to picking talents, covenants, conduits, or soulbinds. Some times the utility that something provides to your raid/group is important too. Sites like wowhead and Icy-Veins have taken into account utility along with defensive usefulness too when they have recommended talents, covenants, conduits, and soulbinds. Factoring all 4 of those things in, Night Fae is at the most "decent" for resto, elemental, and enhancement. Each of those sites even have stated how if you're looking for an "overall generically decent covenant" then use Kryian because they excel at giving a little bit of both AOE and single target abilities to the player while being meh at both individually. Basically Kryian was recommended for their ability to switch between an AOE situation and a single target situation at the drop of a hat in terms of M+ runs or raiding while Necro and Vent excel in either an AOE situation or a single target situation.

I'm curious which "many abilities" you are referring to that are very powerful and don't produce numbers that people avoid getting?

You discredit the theorycrafting community in a way that's not related to reality. There have been discussions in the class discords for months about every single aspect of every single covenant. That includes pure numbers, it includes different use cases, it includes the way different bosses work and how the abilities sync up with them, it includes timers and cooldowns. This idea that guides only care about pure DPS or HPS is a lie perpetuated by an anti-elititst community.

That said, for many specs the covenants are close, for some they are not. And after all, you can get CE with a holy priest, you can get CE with a NF shaman as well. And when I say that people who pick "wrong" covenants don't care about performance, I mean that they value other things above performance, but they can still value performance to some degree. It's just not their primary concern. And that's fine.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are really concerned about your pick, I suggest joining the Resto discord. Niseko who wrote the wowhead guide is a great player and he's active there. If you simply ask them "which should I pick" you'll probably get told to just read a guide but you can always try to get some info about what lead the community to their conclusions that eventually ended up in the guide. A lot of it was based on extensive raid testing I can say immediatly though.

I love night fae for hunter, soulshape is fun and the aoe is disgustingly good when it comes to wiping out hordes of mobs.