Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How can you write off an xpac that literally just launched?

I understand BC and WotLK widowers are passionate, I know, I started in BC.

But the xpac just launched. So with that being said, how are people writing off Shadowlands?

Like, please keep your emotions to yourself, I just need something concise and detailed.

Its been a couple weeks, isn't it a little premature to call this a "bad" xpac?

Thanks and please, lets keep this clean and respectful. I mean try.

Not that hard if you've played BFA from the beginning

I only hear good things about it in my circles

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    But the xpac just launched. So with that being said, how are people writing off Shadowlands?
    They're comparing what they have to what they had. We lost a lot of stuff, a lot of systems we were used to and they were fully functional by the end of BfA. Now we have systems that are only partially functional and some people just don't want to see the bigger picture. In another thread someone asked if the 4 current worlds were all of the afterlife. Of course not. There are multiple realms and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the next zones we get are "new" parts of the afterlife we just haven't seen yet for whatever reason. Does the fact that we only have the 4 current ones available make the entire expansion "bad"? No. Just not fully unlocked and fully functional yet.

I am loving it, I love that there is a clear progression path and the questing was linear and you can completely level doing only the main story quest line. I have been having a blast, I also did look up any info on the xpac or even use my Beta invite because I wanted to walk into the game with fresh eyes and see it as I played it for the first time. Odly enough I have fallen in love with the Lore, Story, and setting of Maldraxxus.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    First launch? You will always see people shiting on WoW no matter if expac/patch is good or bad. But for some reason this time whiners are even more quiet than during Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk, but I lost literally all motivation to do anything in-game.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    As of right now, there's nothing to do. Gating and throttling content shouldn't be a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It's already wayy less Grindy which I approve of.

So you want people to keep their emotions to themselves and like them to judge a game by what parameter other than the feeling - "emotion" -you have when playing the game?

It is a solid expansion, probably the best since Pandaria.

You can write off a patch easy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    What else is there to see? The raid? Will a raid carry a whole patch? No. M+ is just the same thing with different effects.
    If people don't like what's in the game now I get it, they can't say "SL sucks" though only that 9.0 sucks as they haven't seen all of SL yet
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Rioriel View Post
    Some people also saying it's the best thing since sliced boobs, though innit.
    I need to try those. I've only ever had regular boobs.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

I can imagine after the resets the concrete "yes all these gates are how you are going to be dealing with the game for the next year or two" being a hard "no thanks i'll play something else" rather than "b-b-but its just the beta it could change!" potentials. Lots of people play mmos just for grinding something out and watching to show off something they got before everyone else. Its not my personal appeal but they exist and to them the covenant souls, torgast limits and renown must be absolutely glacial wringing of the subscription sponge to them.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

Like, please keep your emotions to yourself, I just need something concise and detailed.

Even in BC and Wrath, you could tell the systems that were in place during the leveling process as well as pretty early upon reaching max level. There was a lot to do (double the dungeons for example) and even professions had something to aspire towards. You had new races or class with corresponding new zones. Raids were linear...you didn't just do the latest raid.

Everything in this expansion is lazy. This is truly Legion 1.75 (BfA was Legion 1.5). Even lazier than BfA...there is one storyline forward and 2/3 of the zones. The same low number of dungeons. No new classes (again) and no new races (no, allied races are not actual races...races should at least include their own zones with full stories).

If you can't see this, then I don't know what to tell you besides open your eyes, look around, and start thinking about what used to be included in a full priced expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    They're comparing what they have to what they had. We lost a lot of stuff, a lot of systems we were used to and they were fully functional by the end of BfA. Now we have systems that are only partially functional and some people just don't want to see the bigger picture. In another thread someone asked if the 4 current worlds were all of the afterlife. Of course not. There are multiple realms and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the next zones we get are "new" parts of the afterlife we just haven't seen yet for whatever reason. Does the fact that we only have the 4 current ones available make the entire expansion "bad"? No. Just not fully unlocked and fully functional yet.
    I think this might be the biggest issue that blizzard never fully realized to understand: Borrowed systems are simply BAD! Every expansion the same shit: systems that we got gets removed just for the sake of removing things. One example are good systems that they included the last expansion, essences gets removed too.

Blizzard needs to get away from borrowed power and give us a permanent horizontal power progression. And maybe add more gear slots.

How can one write off and xpac so quickly? It's easy. I wouldn't even say that's a hard, stupid or impossible thing to do.

Just as you can pretty much say that you don't like a certain person after seeing him for just 5 minutes.

I think Legion and BFA developed a new kind of player. The one that expects decent gear to come in huge quantities from any activity they do, that does every single world quest and enjoys endless farming for AP or grinds tons of content they are outgearing for a small chance of upgrade (hello titanforging/legion legendaries). Obviously, for this kind of player SL is not that good, since you are not rewarded for spamming content you've already outgeared. Spamming works well only for BGs I guess, since honor gear is quite nice, and some people dislike PVP.

Personally, I prefer SL design with easily achievable caps on renown and soul ash, non-random gearing from activities that matter to me (dungeons, PVP, etc) and quite nice amount of optional content for small upgrades, cosmetics, professions, alts, achievs, etc. This system actually reminds me more of pre-Wod era, when you had your badges/valor/conquest cap for weekly stuff and best gear from PVE-PVP endgame. Everything else was optional.

P.S. Why do people say there is nothing to do? I mean, you can gear up in dungeons/BGs or just run them for fun, there are tons of new pets/mounts/toys and what not, rares, treasures, upgrades for Covenant sanctum, you can farm recipes for legendaries, conduits, there are tons of new achievements, you can level an alt to see story of other covenants or try Torghast to see the powers play out on different classes. Compare this to release of, for example, Cataclysm which was considered quite ok for it's time. It had waaaay less content. If listed above is not enough what else do you want? Edlessly farm something and then feel sick when you see Wow login screen?

I mean, you do you, but I like SL's approach to progression way more than Legion or BFA.

Only things I don't like about it is the lack of a Flight Master's Whistle as well as being unable to mount in The Maw, and collectables being locked behind Covenants specifically the low % drop rate things such as mounts off Rares.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

because whiners will always, always find something to whine about