Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Kul Tiran druid would look pretty great aestheaticly in Maldraxxus.
    Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    As a primordial force, Decay is likely more akin to the greater concept of entropy - reflected both in nature, is the cosmos (e.g. the stellar decay of stars), and everything else. Decay is the opposing force to Spirit, which would be more akin to the essence of potentiality and motion.
    The forces of Life and Death hold sway over every living thing in the physical universe. The energies of Life, known commonly as nature magic, promote growth and renewal in all things. Death, in the form of necromantic magic, acts as a counterbalance to Life. It is an unavoidable force that breeds despair in mortal hearts and pushes everything toward a state of entropic decay and eventual oblivion.
    This is from Chronicles Volume 1.

It clearly juxtaposes growth, renewal and Life in opposition to decay, oblivion and Death. It is also notable that the Shadowlands are described as "nightmarish realms of decay".

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    This is from Chronicles Volume 1.

It clearly juxtaposes growth, renewal and Life in opposition to decay, oblivion and Death. It is also notable that the Shadowlands are described as "nightmarish realms of decay".
    You're talking about the Life and Death dichotomy as opposed to the one between Spirit and Decay, which are two different things. Decay with a capitol "D" and decay with a lowercase "d" being two different things - the former being a primordial force, and the later being more a descriptor. I'd call Maldraxxus a realm of "decay" as well, given the nightmarish flesh creep, the towers of bone and sinew, and presence of undead everywhere. Perhaps not a realm of Decay, given the givens, but definitely decaying all the same.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    This is absolutely not true, you are absolutely free to RP your character this way, but this is not true. Character traits are absolutely irreplacable parts of the classes, and for example Warlocks are extremely specific in this regard. Warlocks are rebels within their cultures by definition.
    You can feel free to RP your Warlock as a rebel and someone hidden about in society if you want but that isn't necessary - you could be a hermit, a traveler, someone outcast from society for their meddling, anything you want. RP is creative, you can do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    Here's my justification behind it:

There are two aspects behind Nature: Regrowth and Decay. Without one, you cannot have the other. My Affliction Dots are diseases, infections and the like, eating away at the weak. My felfire burns away everything it touches, leaving nothing but ash (which is wonderful for regrowth). Nature doesn't care about your feelings -- power is an absolute and even the powerful can be waylaid by the chaos that is Mother Nature.
    This is really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    You can feel free to RP your Warlock as a rebel and someone hidden about in society if you want but that isn't necessary - you could be a hermit, a traveler, someone outcast from society for their meddling, anything you want. RP is creative, you can do what you want.
    I think the point they were trying to make is that being a Warlock presupposes a certain spectrum of a character namely one that doesn't care about fitting into society since this is a prerequisite for being a Warlock. However, within that spectrum you're pretty much free to do as you please.

A death knight is very adept at wielding life magic. To pervert it to darkness, but still.

I love the idea of a kyrian death knight who's a huge fan of their whole "brainwashed servants" motif. They despise him, but he buys all their merch so they let him hang around.

Reminds me of the undead option for buying from the Scarlet Quartermaster. https://www.wowhead.com/npc=108785/s...aster#comments

Unliving scum ! Your very existence is an insult to everyone who lost their families to the scourge. Take that tabard off and crawl back into your grave before I put you there!

[Buy] You and I both know your 'order' is broke and can use every copper they can get their hands on. Quiet your empty protests and take my money.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-12-03 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

3+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how a Zandalari Shadow Priest fits the Night Fae, unless you count the fact that Bwonsamdi lives near Ardenweald, and so do Loa
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    Some classes are a poor match in terms of aesthetics and ideals for some covenants and some are even stricter and could only fit into one. So how do you view your charracter and his odd covenant choice?

a night fae or kyrian warlock? a non-kyrian paladin? a non-night fae druid? have you tried if not rping creating some backstory for your character's odd choice?

personally i'm at the odd spot of having destro lock being my favorite class and Kyrian my favorite covenant (whose class skill i enjoy the most in terms of gameplay as well, so i had to go for it) and i'm trying to make some sense of it, not only about why would my lock pick Kyrian but why would the Kyrian want anything to do with a warlock... the more likely themes i can think of:

a)the ends justify the means-good guys with nuclear weapons

b)greater power to be gained from the Kyrian, come to think of it the Venthyr rebels have little to offer in terms of power so few and anima starved, while the necrolords have had half their realm wiped out, Night fae are not really militant anyways, so one could argue that Kyrians are the most powerful covenant as of now

c)being more of a forsworn than a Kyrian

do you have any similar stories or ideas to share? how do you feel about the match or mismatch of covenants and classes?
    isnt a warlock someone that literally use the souls of the living to conjure fel?
    i doubt that anyone other than madraxxus (and still is a stretch) should realistically align and work with you
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I don't know how a Zandalari Shadow Priest fits the Night Fae, unless you count the fact that Bwonsamdi lives near Ardenweald, and so do Loa
    I'm pretty sure the Loa, by virtue of their rebirth cycles being intrinsically tied to Ardenweald, make the Night Fae a prime choice for any Zandalari. It's also likely why Bwonsamdi's instance is in Ardenweald and why we keep having to help Loa (MoTS and various quests)
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    isnt a warlock someone that literally use the souls of the living to conjure fel?
    i doubt that anyone other than madraxxus (and still is a stretch) should realistically align and work with you
    Besides what a Warlock does with their power, the one that aligns best with how they get their power would be Venthyr. in the Living world, Souls are souls, but in Shadowlands, it goes deeper to anima, so I would think a covenant that is better at milking a soul for all of it's anima would be their preferred choice

Now Imagine Gorefiend's hiding under Revendreth, just eating one of the streams of anima that's supposed to go to the maw xD

15+ Year Old Account
    But what does the Afterlife/Shadowlands care about the souls of the living? Not every soul survives in their respective afterlife, even if you take the Maw out of the equation. I mean, the Winter Queen systematically purged various glades and the many souls within, to try and make the realm as a whole survive.

What's one or two souls (or twenty) to a warlock so long as it benefits the greater good?

Unlike a lot of other races who you can say comes from a lot of different areas, like you play a human and maybe you're a survivor from Lordaeron or whatever, but as a Zandalari, you're one of these people who's culture is heavily Loa based. The Nightfae probably would make the most sense for a lot of Zandalari, especially because most Zandalari are kept by Bwonsamdi who's there, but also because the Loa who they worship go there aswell.

Also with the Shadow Priest. I feel like the priest identity has been way too over hijacked by human identity and ignoring that for other races shadow priest basically represents a voodoo/witchdoctor who practices some dark magic. Also shadow/darkness now basically means VOID kinda sucks to be honest.

But what does the Afterlife/Shadowlands care about the souls of the living? Not every soul survives in their respective afterlife, even if you take the Maw out of the equation. I mean, the Winter Queen systematically purged various glades and the many souls within, to try and make the realm as a whole survive.

What's one or two souls (or twenty) to a warlock so long as it benefits the greater good?
    its the place where the souls go after the death in the living plane. consuming them will deny them completely the afterlife, its like necromancy....
    thinking more about it only let me recognize that only the jailer would be interested to ally with a warlock. i mean, he sent the helm of damnation to create more imbalance in the universe by spreading necromancy in azeroth. the warlocks are doing more or less the same thing by consuming the souls...
    Last edited by omeomorfismo; 2020-12-03 at 06:44 PM.
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

15+ Year Old Account
    its the place where the souls go after the death in the living plane. consuming them will deny them completely the afterlife, its like necromancy....
    Right, but there's an application here that we can't (or are unaware of) apply in reality.

Souls are fuel. Anima is derived from souls, best syphoned off by the Venthir, but all the same, still 'full' of energy. And the Shadowlands is the afterlife of the entirety of the cosmos, not just Azeroth, so one or two souls, or even a dozen, aren't going to be missed, they're not going to contribute anything worthwhile. I feel you're putting too much importance on what a singular soul is worth in a realm where souls are (normally) transported by the (possible) millions.

Like, we saw the Winter Queen snuff Ursoc. While he was an important figure on Azeroth, he's just another soul in the afterlife. And honestly, it's a warlock's wet dream.

Right, but there's an application here that we can't (or are unaware of) apply in reality.

Souls are fuel. Anima is derived from souls, best syphoned off by the Venthir, but all the same, still 'full' of energy. And the Shadowlands is the afterlife of the entirety of the cosmos, not just Azeroth, so one or two souls, or even a dozen, aren't going to be missed, they're not going to contribute anything worthwhile. I feel you're putting too much importance on what a singular soul is worth in a realm where souls are (normally) transported by the (possible) millions.

Like, we saw the Winter Queen snuff Ursoc. While he was an important figure on Azeroth, he's just another soul in the afterlife. And honestly, it's a warlock's wet dream.
    yes but like the scourge/necromancer/old forsaken are activeling stealing souls from their natural afterlife (and because this they are viewed as unnatural blasphemies)
    the BL/warlocks are actively deny the afterlife to these souls. its the same concept.

its a different case than bwomshandi using his souls still belonging to the shadowlands as an army or the winterqueen uses ursocc as compost, these are part of "natural cycle" in warcraft universe. the previous ones not

Guess this is the nice thing about being a Rogue. It's one of the "Blank slate" classes, as I like to call them.

Although a lot of classes don't fit aesthetically into certain covenants, almost any class can fit into the ideals that sort you into a covenant. A Necrolord Death Knight fits the most visually, but they could've lived a life of protecting other people and been sorted into Kyrian.

I think of my Night Fae Rogue as someone who had a strong connection the nature, and spent their life protecting the Wilds with their Druid buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zillbert View Post
    Guess this is the nice thing about being a Rogue. It's one of the "Blank slate" classes, as I like to call them.

Although a lot of classes don't fit aesthetically into certain covenants, almost any class can fit into the ideals that sort you into a covenant. A Necrolord Death Knight fits the most visually, but they could've lived a life of protecting other people and been sorted into Kyrian.

I think of my Night Fae Rogue as someone who had a strong connection the nature, and spent their life protecting the Wilds with their Druid buddies.
    thats only work as a troll/nelf rogue.

3+ Year Old Account
    A Troll shadow priest fits best (from the standpoint of Loas) as a priest of Hir'eek, who's fate in the afterlife is quite nebulous at this point. Is he on De Other Side, within a Wildseed in Ardenweald (hopefully not already sacrificed), trapped within the Maw or even the Void, perhaps? I don't think there has been confirmation of anything yet but I'd be curious to find that out if I was a shadow-wielding priest of the Loa.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    Some classes are a poor match in terms of aesthetics and ideals for some covenants and some are even stricter and could only fit into one. So how do you view your charracter and his odd covenant choice?

a night fae or kyrian warlock? a non-kyrian paladin? a non-night fae druid? have you tried if not rping creating some backstory for your character's odd choice?

personally i'm at the odd spot of having destro lock being my favorite class and Kyrian my favorite covenant (whose class skill i enjoy the most in terms of gameplay as well, so i had to go for it) and i'm trying to make some sense of it, not only about why would my lock pick Kyrian but why would the Kyrian want anything to do with a warlock... the more likely themes i can think of:

a)the ends justify the means-good guys with nuclear weapons

b)greater power to be gained from the Kyrian, come to think of it the Venthyr rebels have little to offer in terms of power so few and anima starved, while the necrolords have had half their realm wiped out, Night fae are not really militant anyways, so one could argue that Kyrians are the most powerful covenant as of now

c)being more of a forsworn than a Kyrian

do you have any similar stories or ideas to share? how do you feel about the match or mismatch of covenants and classes?
    I'm curious as to how the consumption of soul energy to produce Fel magic works in the Shadowlands. Would Fel be more potent, considering it's potentially drawing from the very essence of the souls that fuels it in the material universe? Anima is everywhere within the Shadowlands, it comprises everything. Unless there is some sort of buffer between Fel and the Anima of the Shadowlands, couldn't we speculate that Warlocks could very well be the most powerful beings within this realm? I know this doesn't coincide with the topic, but I started thinking about it after reading all the replies.

Anima is the essence of mortal souls. Fel magic uses souls as a fuel source. The Shadowlands is entirely composed of Anima. God mode Warlocks?

As for the actual point of the thread, using the line of reasoning I mentioned above, I'd say that Warlocks can enter any covenant they wish and the justification is the same: Their power will grow. It will grow no matter what. Doesn't matter which afterlife they're in, if Fel magic works the same they have energy on tap. I'd almost suggest they are one of the greatest threats to the Shadowlands.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2020-12-03 at 07:32 PM.

I have to agree with the OP. Some races or classes just don't fit in certain covenants, and some don't fit into any covenant at all.

It's the reason I just can't play this expansion because none of it makes sense. It all seems to cater too much to the Alliance. The tribal races of the Horde fit in nowhere.