Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Right, you cannot run it without the separate overwolf executable also starting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    None of those I guess lol.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/immersion

This is the addon.
    From the looks the addon you want is being pulled off curse ("abandoned") meanig:
    "This project is abandoned and its default file will likely not work with the most recent version of World of Warcraft. Whether this project is out of date or its author has marked it as abandoned, this project is no longer maintained."

Probably due to recent changes made by curse/overwolf/politics/ajour/wowup/monetisation/cease and desist orders..you name it drama, some addon-authors pull their stuff.

So maybe thats why its not showing up in third party clients anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

From the looks the addon you want is being pulled off curse ("abandoned") meanig:
    "This project is abandoned and its default file will likely not work with the most recent version of World of Warcraft. Whether this project is out of date or its author has marked it as abandoned, this project is no longer maintained."

Probably due to recent changes made by curse/overwolf/politics/ajour/wowup/monetisation/cease and desist orders..you name it drama, some addon-authors pull their stuff.

So maybe thats why its not showing up in third party clients anymore.
    It has nothing to do with the factious cease and desist letters people insist were exchanged. That was caused by a misunderstanding from a reddit post from someone who misinterpreted a blog post. Nor does it have anything to do with addon authors pulling them addons off curse.

During the migration addon authors needed to sign a form to opt in to having their projects moved over. Any projects that hadn’t received permission from the addon author gets flagged abandoned. Once they send the opt in form back to the curseforge team their addon is unflagged and that message is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Curseforge on overwolf. Don't listen to spergs, overwolf is ok, and if you wear tinfoil hat, just disable all aggreements on gathering your useless data.
    I got an autoplay video ad with sound. That is enough for me to never use it again. I'll allow you a few images, maybe a gif, but you aren't allowed to force me to download thousands of images.
    Last edited by Shaetha; 2020-12-03 at 10:06 AM.

Ajour works well.

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    When did they do that? Imagine seeing that shit (especially in wow, which costs 15-20$ / month and is def. a premium game if there ever was one) and still using their client... I would go back to download and unzip and that ancient methods instead.
    People seem to have this misconception with Overwolf thinking if you install it you’ll get ads in game.

Overlays in Overwolf need to be manually installed and they need to be written specific to a game. It does not come with overlays preinstalled. Nor does the curseforge client come with overlays installed.

As to ads it’s the overlay app developers that put those in an overlay. While the Overwolf team manage the content of the ads and curate them (with assistance from virustotal and geoedge) it’s the overlay developers who gets to say when it comes up in game , how big it is , if it’s full screen etc etc.
    Last edited by bluspacecow; 2020-12-03 at 10:16 AM.

If Im understanding Overwolf correctly, I cant launch curseforge without it also opening overwolf? It's like a DRM?

I have no interest in using overwolf for anything, I only want the curse mod manager...

The only advantage I see Overwolf having is the revenue sharing with creators, but I am curious about that. Does it only count if the downloads are through Overwolf?

I'm using wowup right now and it does everything I need. I just click to open it and it automatically updates everything, then I close it. I could leave it open and the updates would auto install as they become available. It's very lightweight and fast.

I would consider switching though if it really seemed like creators themselves are fine with Overwolf and prefer it due to revenue. I'm wondering if they would prefer a better user experience (from what I can gather you need to install both the addon part of Overwolf as well as the main Overwolf app and it launches both; not having to disable the information gathering that is enabled by default; etc) if they could get their revenue elsewhere (such as Patreon, direct Paypal donations, etc).
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Wowup.io is better.
    This is hands down the best, even lets me know when Elvui has an update..

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    The only advantage I see Overwolf having is the revenue sharing with creators, but I am curious about that. Does it only count if the downloads are through Overwolf?

I'm using wowup right now and it does everything I need. I just click to open it and it automatically updates everything, then I close it. I could leave it open and the updates would auto install as they become available. It's very lightweight and fast.

I would consider switching though if it really seemed like creators themselves are fine with Overwolf and prefer it due to revenue. I'm wondering if they would prefer a better user experience (from what I can gather you need to install both the addon part of Overwolf as well as the main Overwolf app and it launches both; not having to disable the information gathering that is enabled by default; etc) if they could get their revenue elsewhere (such as Patreon, direct Paypal donations, etc).
    Yes because otherwise you dont see the add. And revenue is counted from percentage of total revenue from ads vs popularity of your addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    I got an autoplay video ad with sound. That is enough for me to never use it again. I'll allow you a few images, maybe a gif, but you aren't allowed to force me to download thousands of images.
    Wow, yeah, that would make me leave them forever even if I hadn't already done so. I would not tolerate that.

I'm very happy with WowUp, so I'm using it. Ajour also looks good. I like having options.

Really tried to like WoWUP, but it's a buggy piece of shit that continually overwrites classic addons with retail version, pulls down wrong versions full stop and seems to get confused whenever an addon is on curse and another source.

I've had to keep using curseforge because it just works flawlessly.

WoWup.Io

Super simple
    Open source
    No crap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    Ajour is even better than WoWup and doesn't trigger Windows security like WoWup does.
    havent had that happen :S

If that every happens in my case, OW is getting uninstalled from my PC as well.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    If that every happens in my case, OW is getting uninstalled from my PC as well.
    That depends on ad provider

In OW you can disable practically any ad provider. Either all of them, or specific ones. But I guess people never really bother to read nor they have ability to check program settings.

Not to mention you could do that during installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    The only advantage I see Overwolf having is the revenue sharing with creators, but I am curious about that. Does it only count if the downloads are through Overwolf?.
    Downloads even through a third party updater will still be going through curseforge’s CDN so I believe those downloads will count towards the already exisiting Curseforge Rewards program. This program will be a thing that will be maintained with the new Overwolf owners albeit with a slight pause in preceedings while the transfer over from twitch is fully connected.

However in saying that Overwolf are offering addon authors a 70% share of the revenues the Curseforge client. Addon authors stand to make a lot more money that way then any other monetisation options. Donations are unreliable and it’s problematic keeping Patreon subscribers subscribed - many will subscribe for a month or two then cancel it when they feel like pledging to someone else. Ad revenues and curse premium subscriptions however can be more reliable.

- - - Updated - - -

Ads have yet to be enabled so either you downloaded the wrong software or your confusing the new install intro screen you get with a full page ad.
    Last edited by bluspacecow; 2020-12-04 at 10:12 AM.

I'm using Ajour, clean and simple, hosted on github. Maybe it's not as fancy as Curse client was, but it does the job.

wowup.io without question:

extremely light-weight
    no ads or garbage windows/menus
    updates elvui