Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Reps have been time gated for as long as there have been dailies, which was BC. Why are people acting like it's a new thing that the new evil ActiBlizz has put in deliberately to ruin their fun?
    do you even tabard bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Time gating has always existed in WoW.
    Never has gating been this aggressive, not even in Legion and BFA. Some specs have to play with objectively pisspoor soulbinds and conduits because the viable ones won't unlock until x amount of weeks. I can't access a viable legendary power because the ones who are viable are locked to raids which I'm not interested in doing and a world boss that might not spawn for another 6 weeks while other classes/specs have viable options from day 1. I have to play a lesser version of my class/spec for months and delve into content I don't want to do because stuff has been arbitrarily gated for the sake of retaining a subscription base. It's dogshit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? The only thing that is timegated is soulbinds and the convenant campaign, but that's about it.

And the convenant campaign is not even that important
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RedditIsDown View Post
    Never has gating been this aggressive, not even in Legion and BFA. Some specs have to play with objectively pisspoor soulbinds and conduits because the viable ones won't unlock until x amount of weeks. I can't access a viable legendary power because the ones who are viable are locked to raids which I'm not interested in doing and a world boss that might not spawn for another 6 weeks while other classes/specs have viable options from day 1. I have to play a lesser version of my class/spec for months and delve into content I don't want to do because stuff has been arbitrarily gated for the sake of retaining a subscription base. It's dogshit!
    You are aware that you couldn’t get any legendary without raiding in the past right? And that every legendary quest line was time gated? Or that if you wanted BIS things it would take you multiple weeks as raids dropped less gear and had lock outs?

It’s not any more time gated then past expands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    You are aware that you couldn’t get any legendary without raiding in the past right? And that every legendary quest line was time gated? Or that if you wanted BIS things it would take you multiple weeks as raids dropped less gear and had lock outs?

It’s not any more time gated then past expands.
    I remember a guy named Khadgar wanting me to get him 4986 crystals......

Time Gating is being overly used this expansion no doubt
    Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    No. On these forums any updates mean an expansion hint.
    Wrathin comes back? Dragon expansion clearly!
    LK part of a quest? Wotlk 2 clearly!
    Sylvanas working with a death master? Shadowlands clearly!

At the point we're headed for Wrath of the Shdowlands Dragon Isles Lich and tinkers.

Most things are time-gated this expansion and that's not a bad thing, like most of you "i want it all and i want it now wawa"s make it out to be.

Blizzard doesn't want a game where players would only log in at major patch releases for a day or 2 to consume all content and then go on hiatus again. Just look at GW2... that game has a system like that and it's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Time gating has always existed in WoW.
    ye but not to this ridiculous extent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Most things are time-gated this expansion and that's not a bad thing, like most of you "i want it all and i want it now wawa"s make it out to be.

Blizzard doesn't want a game where players would only log in at major patch releases for a day or 2 to consume all content and then go on hiatus again. Just look at GW2... that game has a system like that and it's not good.
    funny guy you are

i logged in on wednesday - i did my m0 farm , i did my thorgast im done till next wednesday .

i could as well go on hiatus to play cyberpunk and come back when timegates are over.

so what was your point exackly ?

similiar with my hunter- dinged 60 on weekend - bought 151 gear of AH , cleared all m0 on monday , cleared thorgast on tuesday - guess today i will do the same what i did on main on my hunter and then what ? go and level another alt ? cba that early in expansion to have 12 alt because thats what this is heading.

boring game is boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you have people who rush through the game to get to max lvl in 60 days i'm not really sure time gating is the problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

- - - Updated - - -

funny guy you are

i logged in on wednesday - i did my m0 farm , i did my thorgast im done till next wednesday .

i could as well go on hiatus to play cyberpunk and come back when timegates are over.

similiar with my hunter- dinged 60 on weekend - bought 151 gear of AH , cleared all m0 on monday , cleared thorgast on tuesday - guess today i will do the same what i did on main on my hunter and then what ? go and level another alt ? cba that early in expansion to have 12 alt because thats what this is heading.

boring game is boring.
    And next week you can run m+ and raid 24/7 if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

- - - Updated - - -

funny guy you are

boring game is boring.
    Play less each session but do more game sessions. Here fixed it for you.

And M+ and Raid is not even out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Really? The only thing that is timegated is soulbinds and the convenant campaign, but that's about it.

And the convenant campaign is not even that important
    Half the convenant features are time gated by souls, that includes the covenant specific weekly events.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The content they managed to put into this expansion would last 2-3 weeks if they wouldn't timegate everything

But honestly, that's what we asked for. Content with a foreseeable end instead of the endless grind trough the whole expansion

Time gate and grind are direct opposites

This is modern WoW, if you don't enjoy it, fair enough. It's made for a different audience now, get over it.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    The main feature of the expansion, Covenants, just looks it will be nothing but time gated rep grinds by doing world quests, and it's going to be extremely important to do, because it will unlock new abilities that are probably very much required to do content like raiding, Mythic+, etc.

Then on top of that, it's more time gated rep grinds to unlock flying through Pathfinder. Probably even more time gated rep grinds to unlock gear and cosmetic rewards.

And then to top it all off, I hope you like being slowed down in your content consumption even more, because Titanforging is here to stay.

It seems like every design decision lately that Blizzard makes has only one goal in mind: slow down our content consumption to increase the MAU numbers by keeping people playing for longer, and make sure they're logging in every day by stopping their progress for the day and telling them to come back tomorrow. When do we get content that is just designed to be rewarding and fun to play through? Will this game ever go back to being just a well designed video game, and not a cash cow for Blizzard to design to milk the most profits from to funnel to other projects?

I don't think it ever will honestly, I know people will still buy and play Shadowlands, they'll say "time gating everything is fine, people shouldn't be able to rush through the content and then complain about having nothing to do", and Blizzard will never stop tacking a time gate on everything or making every design decision based around slowing down our content consumption as much as possible.

I can't stand it anymore, it has completely ruined my enjoyment of this game, and I don't think I can stand to play through another time gated rep grinds: the expansion. If Shadowlands isn't that, I'd be glad to give it a shot, but everything I've seen about it so far pretty much points to exactly that.
    Since people have necro’d this thread and stating the OP is correct, let’s look at some things:
    Rep grinds don’t really matter. You get a few crafting items from some of them, but for the most part you get specific quests that unlock Renown that take about 30 minutes at a time. Rep is more cosmetic item related.

Pathfinder isn’t tied to rep (at least not yet) as Blizzard has even stated as much.

Titanforging is gone.

Blizzard has catch up mechanics in place to allow people to not fall too far behind others if they are new or returning players. This actually lowers MAUs because, unless you are playing for other reasons (raid/m+/sheer enjoyment of the game) then they can’t time gate you for MAUs since you’re already playing. Otherwise you can just not play for a few month, come in, and catch up, which also doesn’t affect MAUs.

Good news OP: rep has almost zero influence on end game unless you really want to be the one in your raid group with a feast or cauldron drop. People complain about the Maw not allowing any mounts, but with portals being opened up as you progress, and the fact that people haven’t stated yet how those 2 dailies just can’t be completed on a daily basis because they are on foot, then it’s obviously not that big of an issue. Nor does that increase MAUs as people are still playing to play the game.
    Seems like anyone who has played so far would be able to tell you your fears are unwarranted and you can jump right back in to the game and play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Half the convenant features are time gated by souls, that includes the covenant specific weekly events.
    But almost all of them do not affect player power.

I get what you are saying, but I really do not mind that
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The time gating sure isn't impacting my gameplay in any negative way yet.

I was wondering if it would, because some time gating has been somewhat obnoxious, but it looks like it doesn't. If I was no-lifing it I could see being a bit mad, but even then M+ and raids haven't even opened up, so give WoW a minute for god's sake.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

OP here, it's actually not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I'm sure some of you disagree but I'm glad that it's finally not just doing WQs to fill up a rep bar, I like that. I'm also playing pretty casually too so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    do you even tabard bro?
    That existed for one xpac, not even for all reps, and Blizz removed it because people were no-lifing dungeons.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.