Page 93 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I don't think they will go back into the past. First because of the time acchordes and second becaus they found a way how why they are never mentioned again. If they go back it gets more difficult with timeywhimey stuff. Grandfather paradox basically. Also the ship now has 31st century tech. Way to advanced for the past.
    I actually liked that a lot. I think it's a good idea it stays in the future, I like this development.

I honestly wonder...

Do the show writers realize that they wrote an utterly unlikable bordering on unbearable main character?

Also...why do almost all the characters have the emotional intelligence of an angsty 13 year old?

There are exceptions, namely Saru and Culber but they are literally being held hostage by school bus worth of angsty teens.

It's clear to me that the writers seem to think that emotional intelligence is mostly synonymous with constant whining and moping. These people should all be in therapy and not flying around a spaceship armed with anti-matter weapons.

And to swing back to Burnham for a moment. 2 and a half seasons down the road it isn't just that Burnham hadn't matured, became more experienced, more level headed, more considerate, more honest, more cautious, on the contrary she has managed to do the opposite of all that.

She didn't evolve from an unlikeable character into a likeable one...she somehow managed to become more obnoxious.

It's really only hindsight that I realize how Pike's character in season 2 managed to balance out the flaming dumpster fire that Burnham is.

If they are trying to do the same with Saru this season...well it hasn't worked because after toning down the crazy in season 2 slightly, now they dialed the emotional breakdowns and Burnhams lunacy back to 11, so Saru can't seem to carry this.

I've been watching this thing for 2+ seasons now. I try not to be hyper critical. I don't want to hate watch it. I am "hope watching". I keep watching, hoping that somehow it will get better, but the last 2 episodes really felt like coming full circle, back to the shitshow of first season.

I'll give it 1 or 2 more episodes, if it keeps delivering more of the same, I'm done with it.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-12-03 at 02:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not claiming to be the bigest fan of Star Trek but I did watch every show and had expectations but 3rd season on, every episode is getting worse than the one before. For a bit there I was confused, was this made by CW or what...
    I agree with what Mihalik is saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The season started ok, but now there's too much SJW cringe (including 4th wall breaking "THEY") in every new episode.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I'm not a fan of ST and never seen any of the older shows so this one seems good. I don't understand why it gets so much hate. Yea I get that discovery crew is more like a family and doesn't feel like a military ship but it's kinda the same with most space shows. And it has great visuals and pretty original themes as opposed to the same old rehashed stuff in most sci fi shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The season started ok, but now there's too much SJW cringe (including 4th wall breaking "THEY") in every new episode.
    There's no such thing as SJW cringe in Star Trek. You of all people should know better.

that ginger bird is the only likeable one. I know you nerds are crying about her getting a promotion for some lame nerd reasons but she is the only actor in the show who doesnt do a stupidly dramatic voice every time they talk

tilly (or w.e) : hey burnam u want some food
    burnam (incredibly dramatic whispered loud voice delievered slowly) : NO

this show is worse than dr who on terms of acting.

Another really enjoyable episode of Discovery.

This one was directed by Jonathan Frakes.

I kinda wish I could binge watch the whole season. REally liking discovery so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    There's no such thing as SJW cringe in Star Trek. You of all people should know better.
    In all of the rest of Star Trek - there ain't. But in this one, it's overflowing. Fat officers are given green light by their doctors, women are overrepresented in leading positions, gender fluid humans haven't been cured still in the 32nd century, imagine that! Obviously, an agenda to say it's "normal" while it's not, especially considering that she was hiding the fact and only two people (well, now one) know about it - that's like the major 4th wall leakage from the screen, especially considering that the actor is that way as well. So not only the condition hasn't been eradicated from humanity's medical history but it is still being oppressed! Wow.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

In all of the rest of Star Trek - there ain't. But in this one, it's overflowing. Fat officers are given green light by their doctors, women are overrepresented in leading positions, gender fluid humans haven't been cured still in the 32nd century, imagine that! Obviously, an agenda to say it's "normal" while it's not, especially considering that she was hiding the fact and only two people (well, now one) know about it - that's like the major 4th wall leakage from the screen, especially considering that the actor is that way as well. So not only the condition hasn't been eradicated from humanity's medical history but it is still being oppressed! Wow.
    She's there for her brain meats and she jogs better than I do. Probably you too.
    Tiny samples mean nothing and only misogynists would give a fuck anyways.
    Gender fluid people do not need to be cured and have a right to privacy. Stop masturbating to Jordan Peterson podcasts.

Gender fluid people do not need to be cured
    Hm. Medical texts need revision then, it seems.

https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Co...F69/F64-/F64.9

10+ Year Old Account
    She's there for her brain meats and she jogs better than I do. Probably you too.
    If she jogged she wouldn't be fat. Fat people cannot jog, btw, it's bad for their spine and joints. The first treatment for obesity is diet and WALKING, not jogging.
    Tiny samples mean nothing and only misogynists would give a fuck anyways.
    False dichotomy.
    Gender fluid people do not need to be cured and have a right to privacy. Stop masturbating to Jordan Peterson podcasts.
    Gender fluid people are sick in the head. If they aren't - and "it's normal" there's no need to invoke the right to privacy, otherwise how else others will REFER to the right? Hm?
    And you are being hypocritical now by violating my right to privacy. No one needed to know that I masturbate to JP podcasts.

Trolling isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-12-06 at 06:34 PM.

If she jogged she wouldn't be fat. Fat people cannot jog, btw, it's bad for their spine and joints. The first treatment for obesity is diet and WALKING, not jogging.

False dichotomy.

Gender fluid people are sick in the head. If they aren't - and "it's normal" there's no need to invoke the right to privacy, otherwise how else others will REFER to the right? Hm?
    And you are being hypocritical now by violating my right to privacy. No one needed to know that I masturbate to JP podcasts.
    We've seen her jog. In the show. Which is more than I do in real life.
    No, its not. We've seen two ships out of how many in TOS era Star Trek? Not giving a shit means not keeping count of trivialities.
    Everyone has a right to privacy regardless of their gender or sexual orientation. In the particular case of someone joined with a Trill symbiont using the pronoun "they" wouldn't be out of bounds. Even if they're not specifically gender fluid they're certainly in touch with all of their past memories which will contain a variety of life experiences including living as a different gender or having a different sexual orientation.
    I was joking. It was wrong of me to make light of your masturbation proclivities. Sorry. But seriously Jordan Peterson and all of the other anti-trans dipshits out there need to grow the fuck up.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've seen her jog. In the show. Which is more than I do in real life.
    That's what I'm complaining about, she shouldn't be in Star Fleet, not to mention JOG. Plus she was less fat in the previous season.
    No, its not. We've seen two ships out of how many in TOS era Star Trek? Not giving a shit means not keeping count of trivialities.
    An argument from ignorance is ignored. We are talking about a specific ship in a specific show made by specific people.
    Everyone has a right to privacy regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.
    But gender fluid people cannot plead privacy if they want to be referred to as they. So please, STAHP. This is an inconsistency in their agenda delivery. Gender fluid people are accepted - but they still hide their gender fluidity - but they prefer to be referred to as they - it's just ridiculous.
    In the particular case of someone joined with a Trill symbiont using the pronoun "they" wouldn't be out of bounds.
    If they went that way - it would be like Dax in DS9 - which is fine
    But she explicitly said "I was this way BEFORE" and she's a human not an alien. For humans, it's not normal to be this way and this condition would've been cured long time ago, just like Tilly's obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Another really enjoyable episode of Discovery.

This one was directed by Jonathan Frakes.

I kinda wish I could binge watch the whole season. REally liking discovery so far.
    Frakes is a national treasure. I love that guy, and he's a great director. It doesn't need to be said, but he really knows the source material.

That's what I'm complaining about, she shouldn't be in Star Fleet, not to mention JOG. Plus she was less fat in the previous season.

An argument from ignorance is ignored. We are talking about a specific ship in a specific show made by specific people.

But gender fluid people cannot plead privacy if they want to be referred to as they. So please, STAHP. This is an inconsistency in their agenda delivery. Gender fluid people are accepted - but they still hide their gender fluidity - but they prefer to be referred to as they - it's just ridiculous.

If they went that way - it would be like Dax in DS9 - which is fine
    But she explicitly said "I was this way BEFORE" and she's a human not an alien. For humans, it's not normal to be this way and this condition would've been cured long time ago, just like Tilly's obesity.
    She's in Starfleet because of her brain. But keep on ignoring that. And she still jogs more than most, otherwise no Captaincy for her.

One specific ship may just have a random assortment of crew that happens to be uneven (and it might not be, I haven't bother to count). It a huge nothing burger unless you're a snowflake looking for a reason to whine.

Sure they can. They ask for a pronoun to be used which isn't any different from using their given name or title. I ask people to refer to me as "he" or my name but I don't feel the need to share more about myself than that. There's nothing wrong with that.

A Trill without a symbiont is a very, very different thing than a Trill with one. A human with a symbiont is much like the latter than a regular human. And who are you to define what is normal? I don't find the character to be abnormal in the slightest.

REEEEing over someone's pronouns or because tilly is fat only allows people who want to defend the show to deflect the conversation to your bigotry.

Instead off focusing on the important reasons why the show is bad, like everyone (except saru, bless is little hooves) being an asshole and acting like moody teenagers all the time. Or 'photon torpedos' going off 7 feet from Michael and not atomizing her.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Instead off focusing on the important reasons why the show is bad, like everyone (except saru, bless is little hooves) being an asshole and acting like moody teenagers all the time. Or 'photon torpedos' going off 7 feet from Michael and not atomizing her.
    Hey! I never said it was perfect. After 3 seasons it finally climbed the small mountain of being a little better than Voyager.

False dichotomy.

So you think that only STD is pushing "transgenderism' the fuck you think the Trill have always been a stand in for?

...being a little better than Voyager.
    It is my opinion that Discovery doesn't even hold a candle to the worst episode of Voyager (and I'll accept there were a few bad ones). When Voyager was on point, though, it was outstanding.