Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

WoW between 11-12 million subscribers

As of the most recent post by activision it explicitly states WoW subs & engagement are at their highest in the last decade (So, post Wrath of the Lich King).

Cata peaked at 11.1 Million Subscribers, Wotlk at 12 million.

This indicates we are somewhere between 11.1 million and 12 million subscribers.

buuuuut that's impossible all the experts in this forum said that WoW is less than a million and probably dying soon, save for classic which is going to peak at 13M in a modest estimate

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    buuuuut that's impossible all the experts in this forum said that WoW is less than a million and probably dying soon, save for classic which is going to peak at 13M in a modest estimate
    I like your humor...

10+ Year Old Account
    Engagement has nothing to do with people being actually in the game and playing. It's their way of saying "people are talking about the game in social spaces".
    In regards to subs all we have is:
    In the months leading up to the expansion’s release and the time since launch, the game reached and has sustained its highest number of players on monthly or longer-term subscriptions compared to the same period ahead of and following any WoW expansion in the past decade, in both the West and the East.
    Which means they were able to just meet and keep the same numbers subbed in the post-expansion content drought period as before +1 whatever that number is we haven't been told. There's also no indication of a massive increase in subs but the fact after two weeks since they're not boasting about booms in "Player participation" unlike other expansions suggests there has been a decline somewhere.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by iExtrordinary View Post
    As of the most recent post by activision it explicitly states WoW subs & engagement are at their highest in the last decade (So, post Wrath of the Lich King).

This indicates we are somewhere between 11.1 million and 12 million subscribers.
    Source of this quote? Would like to read the exact wording.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2020-12-08 at 07:33 PM.

Also this does not really separate WoW Classic and Retail. So it makes these numbers even more vague. And "engagement" could refer to just about anything. That they've combined "subs & engagement" should tell you a lot. Back in WTLK, there was no social media, You Tube, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Source of this quote? Would like to read the exact wording.
    Think that post is full of shit. Can't find anything or haven't looked enough but going through Activision's page, Blizzard and google I got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post

Which means they were able to just meet and keep the same numbers subbed in the post-expansion content drought period as before +1 whatever that number is we haven't been told. There's also no indication of a massive increase in subs but the fact after two weeks since they're not boasting about booms in "Player participation" unlike other expansions suggests there has been a decline somewhere.
    They dont need to boast about participation when they have near 12 million subs. Your quote suggests that they are on par with wrath, which was the Highest subbed expansion in the last decade. In this context, that translates to raw money. Money for the sales of the expansion and money from the subs. Its simple PR. Go with the higher number when bragging.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NordWitcher View Post
    Also this does not really separate WoW Classic and Retail. So it makes these numbers even more vague. And "engagement" could refer to just about anything. That they've combined "subs & engagement" should tell you a lot. Back in WTLK, there was no social media, You Tube, etc.
    Considering you need a sub no matter what, it doesn't matter in terms of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    If any single post could perfectly encapsulate the 'charm' of this forum, it would be this one. I applaud you.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Think that post is full of shit. Can't find anything or haven't looked enough but going through Activision's page, Blizzard and google I got nothing.
    I don't doubt WoW is doing fine, since the first week of an expansion is always the peak that is never reached again, but i really doubt they've reached the 10M mark again.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2020-12-08 at 07:40 PM.

Please link the post....

The problem with that is that the facts don't agree with their statement. We have legitimate data from their own API that proves that there's only a little over 2M characters at max level on retail(this is including alts). So if you're going to tell me over 8M accounts are specifically Classic or not max level I'm just not going to believe that at all.

Secondly, it says "subs and engagement" which makes the comment more skewed, that does not explicitly say that subs are higher than ever, it means activity is higher per sub. They use phrases like this to trick people, like you, into believing something that isn't accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I don't doubt WoW is doing fine, since the first week of an expansion is always the peak that is never reched again, but i really doubt they've reached the 10M mark again.
    Subscriber numbers are unknown due to imo the horrible expansion of WoD and Blizzard reporting them. And when people come out say "wow has x amount of Subscribers" without linking anything then they're lying.

Which one? The one that's being quoted on multiple articles (the one where they talk about Shadowlands being the fastest selling PC game)? That's the one you couldn't find? The one that's on the front page of this very site?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyram View Post
    Which one? The one that's being quoted on multiple articles (the one where they talk about Shadowlands being the fastest selling PC game)? That's the one you couldn't find? The one that's on the front page of this very site?
    Fastest selling but im not talking about that. Trying to find any indication of the OP's statement of "This indicates we are somewhere between 11.1 million and 12 million subscribers.""

Fastest selling but im not talking about that. Trying to find any indication of the OP's statement of "This indicates we are somewhere between 11.1 million and 12 million subscribers.""
    here

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    In the months leading up to the expansion’s release and the time since launch, the game reached and has sustained its highest number of players on monthly or longer-term subscriptions compared to the same period ahead of and following any WoW expansion in the past decade, in both the West and the East.

10+ Year Old Account
    The closest info we have is that they sold 3.5 million Shadowlands expansions, the fastest selling game in PC history. That's it, that's all we know. They don't release sub numbers any more, and there is no way for us to be sure of any realistic number of subs.

That said, there is likely to be at least 3.5 million subs, judging by sales. I realize that some people might buy it and not play it, but even if they don't play, they probably have an active sub; I've gone sometimes weeks or months without touching the game but leaving my sub active.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    They dont need to boast about participation when they have near 12 million subs. Your quote suggests that they are on par with wrath, which was the Highest subbed expansion in the last decade. In this context, that translates to raw money. Money for the sales of the expansion and money from the subs. Its simple PR. Go with the higher number when bragging.
    "Near 12 million" where did you get that from? Also you might want to recheck the quote I was referring to, "the game reached and has sustained its highest number of players on monthly or longer-term subscriptions" they were talking about subscription plans and as I said we don't know what the prior numbers for that have been, only that they're telling us they've effectively met + 1 the original highest number of plans. It literally tells us nothing about Player numbers.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Engagement has nothing to do with people being actually in the game and playing. It's their way of saying "people are talking about the game in social spaces".
    In regards to subs all we have is:

You are full of it. What is the point in posting a reply like this one on a topic you clearly know nothing about? You're making stuff up, and for what? There are no fake internet points to be gained here.

Player engagement in World of Warcraft reaches highest levels in a decade

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The closest info we have is that they sold 3.5 million Shadowlands expansions, the fastest selling game in PC history. That's it, that's all we know.
    We know more than that though. (if u read my quote above your post)

This decade includes the 11 million of Cataclysm, no?