Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Who is saying it is all about classic?
    Ach, that post was meant for a thread where someone suggested the numbers are due to Classic... I'll leave it for when I'm not on the Phone...

On second thought, it fits here too.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-12-08 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    For everyone to see better i made this image:
    I would say in the bare minimum there is now 10 M subs at the moment blizzard said this

A decade is 10 years, not 8.

Also, at this point 10 years ago (a decade), right before Cata was released, we were at 12.5 million subs (someone else find the link for that).

They are clearly telling us WoW has more than 12.5 million subs now. Which is not hard to believe, considering how much of a success Classic is.

Leave it to the brainiacs on this forum, to fail to understand something so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by iExtrordinary View Post
    As of the most recent post by activision it explicitly states WoW subs & engagement are at their highest in the last decade (So, post Wrath of the Lich King).

Cata peaked at 11.1 Million Subscribers, Wotlk at 12 million.

This indicates we are somewhere between 11.1 million and 12 million subscribers.
    depends on the definition of subscriber. sometimes that specifically means people with a recurring subscription, and sometimes that includes anyone with gametime who uses other means of payment, specifically prepaid game time back in those days. and lots of people i knew back than simply weren't old enough to have credit cards.

i'd be surprised if the game spiked higher than ~10m, but naxx recently in classic so it's not completely outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Diablo2: Sold 5 million copies
    LoD: Sold 1.5 million copies.

In the spirit of today's (snarky) community it would read as: "A lot of ppl were disappointed in D2, proof: LoD sold less than a 1/3"

Diablo 3 comes out...sells over 30 million copies https://www.polygon.com/2015/8/4/909...-million-units

"People were disappointed...so maybe D4 will not sell"

.....maybe it won't...but D3 selling THAT much blew my mind....and personally I was myself disappointed in D3 and played it MUCH much less than D2. Just goes to show I know ...not much about what "the average gamers" like
    yeas, but sales were great bcs of people wanting it for LOOOONG time and remembering d2, but after that there was a lot of complaints about not being dark enough and some systems

and surely, diablo 4 will sell well too, but i would not be so sure it will sell so fast, people who werte disapointed with D3 will be more cautious perhaps... although knowing people they will preorder it asap, ignore all information and then complain its not exactly what they expected

The combined total of Classic and Shadowlands subs exceeding 12 million doesn't surprise me at all. But WoW has never had a hard time attracting this many players for an expansion launch, WoD saw something like 10+ million players at this time when it launched, the trouble is retention. But Shadowlands is already looking so much better than WoD at endgame already so it should be a nice year for Blizzard.

This indicates we are somewhere between 11.1 million and 12 million subscribers.
    Yes, absolutely.

If they had anywhere near those numbers they would report EXACTLY that, because it would be impressive. No official word about 11-12 million subscribers? It ain't a thing. Please get real.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    They are clearly telling us WoW has more than 12.5 million subs now. Which is not hard to believe, considering how much of a success Classic is.
    sure its all classic, it definitely have nothing with shadowlands which just happens to be fastest selling wow expansion, actualy fastest selling game...
    classic might help reach higher, but majority is definitely on retail...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Yes, absolutely.

If they had anywhere near those numbers they would report EXACTLY that, because it would be impressive. No official word about 11-12 million subscribers? It ain't a thing. Please get real.
    didnt they just happen to mention legion went to almost 10m without any OFFICIAL information?
    thing is, since they stoped reporting sub numbers they cant realy brag about it, bcs the moment they wont brag people will assume wow is doing bad, which will hurt their image more than braging about heighs

As of the most recent post by activision it explicitly states WoW subs & engagement are at their highest in the last decade (So, post Wrath of the Lich King).

Engagement doesn’t necessarily correlate to concurrent monthly subs. It most likely means more players are playing concurrently in a day on average than it did 10 years ago. Which is completely possible though we dont know those stats.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

7+ Year Old Account
    No idea what it would achieve. Haters gonna hate, fanbois gonna fanboi. When WotLK reached 12 million, people who hated it didn't go "Oh well, congratz...guess the game is popular" - the reply was "It just shows that flies like shit"
    So fucking true.

Yes, absolutely.

is it still impressive though? basically stagnant over the last 10 years, while in the meantime many a game has sprung up capable of boasting 50m+ numbers. which even if it is comparing apples to oranges, it just doesn't quite have the same impact anymore.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...5#post52862205

3.7 million units sold.

A far cry from 11 million subs, but also a far cry from a dead game.

Something in the middle

As usual
    Sold day 1.

While I'm sure it's the vast majority, there are still two weeks of sales not included in that. So it's for sure higher, but how much higher, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Sold day 1.

While I'm sure it's the vast majority, there are still two weeks of sales not included in that. So it's for sure higher, but how much higher, who knows.
    sold between announcement and day 1 you mean.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    For everyone to see better i made this image:
    I would say in the bare minimum there is now 10 M subs at the moment blizzard said this

Wrong wrong WRONG! That graph clearly shows, in "The Future?" section, that we are quickly closing in on 0 subs!!! Gdi people learn to read a graph.

(That thing makes me laugh every time I see it, specifically "The Future?" section. That hyperbolic negative slant never gets old.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    buuuuut that's impossible all the experts in this forum said that WoW is less than a million and probably dying soon, save for classic which is going to peak at 13M in a modest estimate
    you made me chuckle, hehe
    well done

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    sold between announcement and day 1 you mean.
    Correct, that would be more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Engagement has nothing to do with people being actually in the game and playing. It's their way of saying "people are talking about the game in social spaces".
    In regards to subs all we have is:

Which means they were able to just meet and keep the same numbers subbed in the post-expansion content drought period as before +1 whatever that number is we haven't been told. There's also no indication of a massive increase in subs but the fact after two weeks since they're not boasting about booms in "Player participation" unlike other expansions suggests there has been a decline somewhere.
    When they say player engagement, the mean playing the game. MAUs are a player engagement metric.

Most likely on point here of what you said but your wasteing your time trying to convince wow haters imho!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I don't doubt WoW is doing fine, since the first week of an expansion is always the peak that is never reached again, but i really doubt they've reached the 10M mark again.
    It's a good assumption to think that they have not. The last published information we have is from Warlords of Draenor, which was around the 7.5~million mark during the expansion launch. I think it's fair to say that even if WoW stabilized at that number, which is unlikely, there's no reason to think that the subscription numbers would have increased by 50% for Shadowlands.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Idk why people keep saying “16 year old game”. It’s not a 16 year old game. It’s a 16 year old franchise. That’s like saying “wow X million people bought the new Zelda/cod/Mario, that’s crazy for a 34/17/35 year old game”
    Because it is one game. If this were SMB1, and they released addons for the game over the last 35 years, it would be called a 35yo game. Warcraft is the franchise, WoW is the 16 yo game withing said franchise.

Yes, absolutely.

Again, wrong.

They didn't announce for Classics release, which we KNOW drove subs by a lot, they wouldn't now. They are boasting the numbers by means of new terms. It is pretty fucking clear to anyone with even a lackluster grasp on things that they are nodding to high points from a time when they could and did report subs as the one metric.

Between 10 and 12 million, based on their own words and references.

Hella Nice for a game that supposedly wasn’t going to survive past BfA according to some on this forum.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-12-08 at 09:02 PM.