Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Torghast storyline -time-gating-

Why three weeks later the story of Torghast is still closed? We don't have a quest to save Thrall, Jaina and Anduin. Closed cinematic "no more lies" and unknown cinematic, where The Jailer says "you know what must be done" why is it still hidden?

Because you pay for WoW on a Month by month basis, so they try to keep you for several months.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Yeah, time gating of the story content this expansion is excessive. Pretty much the same with the Covenant campaign. It's worse than ever before with the time gates and it sucks out a lot of fun when you're just fed little pieces of things that are fun and matter from an RPG perspective while getting overwhelmed with all the unfun stuff.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Ok, assuming no time gating. People would just rush through it and then be whining that there isn't any content until 9.1 (6 Months?)

Lose/Lose situation really.

The first comment already provided the ultimate answer to almost every woe in wow. I would just like to add that there is a resque quest this week.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    Why three weeks later the story of Torghast is still closed? We don't have a quest to save Thrall, Jaina and Anduin. Closed cinematic "no more lies" and unknown cinematic, where The Jailer says "you know what must be done" why is it still hidden?
    What? I pulled Jaina out of there yesterday.

Honestly I already forgot there were still story figures in Torghast. Gating is a necessary evil, but spacing out the story over months is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    As someone else mentioned we rescue Jaina this week. The week before we were trying to locate her and came up on a dead end and the week prior we got Baine. Thrall is likely next with Anduin last. It is infinitely easier to focus all your effort on rescuing one person and getting them out quicker than it is for Bolvar to try and find all 4 at the same time spreading the resources thin. Especially since he says when doing it how careful he has to be in order not to succumb the to Jailer. So the gating makes sense in how its done.

Now does it suck to have time-gating? Yeah it does, but story wise makes sense. Plus later on you'll be able to do them all in a week if you wanted to on your alts or main if you decide to wait.

The whole timegated story is extremely immersion breaking this expac. Also, it is clear that writers are still writing a story as 1 fluid story without account for story beats that would require "breaks" so the quest chains itself feel weird. Even the pre-patch content made more sense if you did it all in the 2nd week in 1 go because it is written as a single flow story. They don't even bother to put a quest between time gates like "oh we must research this further, lets get back to it later" or "we must wait for the X to arrive at Z before continuing" etc..

As a venthyr player, we just killed sire denathrius in the raid yet in teh cov campaign we didn't even start mobilizing our forces against him. We are gaining "court of harvesters" rep in revendreath yet the actual court is not yet established in the campaign story. It is really bad.

The only story timegating that bothers me, TBH, is how LFR takes so ridiculously long to open up when it's the story mode version of raids. You'd think you'd be able to see the story within the same month as the other difficulties.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its fine. More mystery fells good to me. We can have all at once on the plate but content would be drained too quick. In general i dont like time gating but i had to take an approve for this expainsion they did it well. Gating at LFR went to far. 1st wing should be opened with normal and hc and next week after week.
    Last edited by czarek; 2020-12-09 at 01:50 PM.

If anything the story warrants a bit more time gating. How can I kill Devos in spires before the reveal in the Kyrian campaign?

I understand the angry mob would not have been worth the consistency. But overall it feels good that things take time. It makes sense. We lay siege to the shadowlands. We extract information from a dangerous place. The last time it felt this coherent was the Suramar campaign.

To be honest the more time passes before I'm forced to save these morons the better. They can rot in Torghast for an eternity. It's already bad enough that I had to bail Baine's worthless ass to unlock the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Considered how many wow players consume content these days, its quite clear that the developers are wise to protect players from themselves.

So I don't have any problem with timegating at all. If renown was uncapped. There would be people at 50 renown now, complaining the game is too grindy and that there is nothing to do.

There should be more timegating. Not less.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Yeah, time gating of the story content this expansion is excessive. Pretty much the same with the Covenant campaign. It's worse than ever before with the time gates and it sucks out a lot of fun when you're just fed little pieces of things that are fun and matter from an RPG perspective while getting overwhelmed with all the unfun stuff.
    I think the Covenant Sanctum upgrades are even worse. They are really not that powerful and yet to upgrade just one to max level you need like 6 weeks worth of souls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I dont mind it, i have like 40min to play in the evening
    makes it pretty pleasurable to log in, get like 40-50% of a level and logout
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    I think its fine. More mystery fells good to me. We can have all at once on the plate but content would be drained too quick.
    You have like what, 30-60 minutes of worthwile story content per week? That's really nothing. I don't want everything at once, but I'd like to progress my characters the way I prefer and not with timegating that takes months. I won't play in 1-2 months anymore and just return in 9.1. 30 minutes of small content pieces won't keep me subbed. I see a point in gating some things, but the way it is done in Shadowlands is obnoxious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    As a venthyr player, we just killed sire denathrius in the raid yet in teh cov campaign we didn't even start mobilizing our forces against him. We are gaining "court of harvesters" rep in revendreath yet the actual court is not yet established in the campaign story. It is really bad.
    This. From a story perspective it makes zero sense.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    Haha, and as a Night Fae I just had my first interaction with Bwonsamdi and his struggles...but I've already "saved" him 4 times in the dungeon.

Not many people complain about Legion being bad but those that do don't bring up time-gating Suramar quests as the reason.

I think time-gating the STORY is perfectly fine. It lets people experience it TOGETHER, instead the usual routine of "just look it up on wowhead or whatever".

I'll say, though, I'm not a huge fan of time-gating regards, like the Covenant anima stuff. I kind of wish I could just power through it in a couple of weeks for the cosmetic stuff. I know that Blizzard will eventually add "catch-up mechanics" though, so I'm really better off not bothering with any of it, and just waiting until it's relatively easy-mode.