Help with making my first Legendary - Deathmaker

Hey. So, I'd just appreciate a bit of help here so I don't massively mess this process up. I'm not sure I understand it yet.

- Very, very luckily I got my Memory of the Deathmaker from my first ever Amarth kill.
    - I've bought my Hate/Mastery Missives (the secondary stats)
    - I've read that Deathmaker is best used on the base item Legs

My question is, should I just go for the 235 ilvl Shadowghast greaves straight away or is that not what I want? I've looked at some prominent players and for some reason they haven't opted for the highest base ilvl possible, which I'm confused by. I don't really see why not since on my AH it's only a measly 40k difference in price between the lowest ilvl base legs and the highest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The soul ash cost of a rank 4 piece is substantially higher than rank 1. If you make rank 1, you get full "credit" for the soul ash you spent on that piece when upgrading it to rank 2 or higher. So your cost difference is whether you want to eventually buy a rank 1, rank 2, rank 3, and rank 4 base piece or if you want to save the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwirt View Post
    The soul ash cost of a rank 4 piece is substantially higher than rank 1. If you make rank 1, you get full "credit" for the soul ash you spent on that piece when upgrading it to rank 2 or higher. So your cost difference is whether you want to eventually buy a rank 1, rank 2, rank 3, and rank 4 base piece or if you want to save the gold.
    Ah, I completely forgot about the soul ash aspect. Thanks for your post.

Additionally, the potency of the legendary effect is not increased with the rank of the legendary, just the item level, and thus stats. And while it would obviously be nice to have a piece of 235 gear this earlier in the expansion, one piece at that high of an item level isn't going to make or break anything.

So it's best to just craft your rank 1 legendary and upgrade it in time. It'll still be a few weeks before you'll have enough soul ash for Rank 4 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    Hey. So, I'd just appreciate a bit of help here so I don't massively mess this process up. I'm not sure I understand it yet.

- Very, very luckily I got my Memory of the Deathmaker from my first ever Amarth kill.
    - I've bought my Hate/Mastery Missives (the secondary stats)
    - I've read that Deathmaker is best used on the base item Legs

My question is, should I just go for the 235 ilvl Shadowghast greaves straight away or is that not what I want? I've looked at some prominent players and for some reason they haven't opted for the highest base ilvl possible, which I'm confused by. I don't really see why not since on my AH it's only a measly 40k difference in price between the lowest ilvl base legs and the highest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Just craft the rank 2 as long as you have enough ash atm otherwise craft the rank 1, upgrading the legendery just costs the ash and the next rank material otherwise your going to wait 2 more weeks to get enough ash
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen