Poll: How do you feel about Torghast

Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Why did All Streamers and Testers say Torghast is Amazing

Before Shadowlands launch, I heard almost ALL the streamers / Beta testers saying:

- Torghast is Amazing!
    - Torghast is Insanely Fun!
    - I want to do Torghast All day long!

I didn't have any high expectation because I know it is a diablo style instance, which is not my favorite.

After doing it multiple times solo, duo and in group with guild, it is even worse than I expected. And most players I know feels the same. It is a long and boring instance, similar environment and mobs, time consuming but not rewarding, etc.

I have no idea why those streamers ALL thought it is an amazingly fun content. Didn't they know it would be a weekly timegated stuff? Are they too out of touch of the playerbase? or I am?

Thus the poll
    Last edited by ashblond; 2020-12-11 at 12:51 PM.

Torghast went through some iterations since streamers were talking it up. Everything was cut down into 6 floor runs or 18 floor Twisting Corridors runs whereas the various runs being done on early Alpha through about mid-Beta were plentiful with Anima Powers and could go over many floors. I understand why they did this - some runs can already take such a long time that it would be hard for the average player to have the longevity needed of a session to retain their progress. But it does play out rather different, as it means your run only feels like it's just getting crazy by the time it's over.

Maybe in the future they can make an "even harder-mode" version of the Corridors that goes into the mid-30s or so. The Torghast equivalent of the Mage Tower or some-such.

As it is, though, I still like it quite a bit. It's a good baseline that can be expanded over patch cycles and can, with changes in theme/palette, very easily be iterated similar to M+ across multiple expansions and seasons. Vast improvement over the non-starters like Islands or Warfronts.

I'd like an endless version

As it stands I really like it, but could be better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    Before Shadowlands launch, I heard almost ALL the streamers / Beta testers saying:
    - Torghast is Amazing!

I didn't have any high expectation because I know it is a diablo style instance, which is not my favorite.
    After doing it multiple times solo, duo and in group with guild, it is even worse than I expected. And most players I know feels the same. It is a long and boring instance, similar environment and mobs, time consuming but not rewarding, etc.

I have no idea why those streamers ALL thought it is an amazingly fun content. Didn't they know it would be a weekly timegated stuff?

Are they too out of touch of the playerbase? or I am?

Thus the poll
    You'll find that streamers, particularly Preach and his crew, praised the early version of Torghast

Also, in addition, your description of Torghast applies for basically most content

For the time-investment, it'd be cool if it could "save" progress and let us return later.
    Maybe locking our item level(using scaling) for when we return to the save.

Alongside the option to abandon and begin again with our new gear/set up.

The fun part of rogue-lites for me, is when your escalation begins getting out of control.
    Going from pushing the boulder up the mountain, to finally reaching a point where you get over the peak.

We currently don't get that too often with only 6 floors.

Didn't they know it would be a weekly timegated stuff?
    Other then the staggered rollout, which all content goes through, there is no weekly timegating of Torghast. Next week it'll be fully unlocked, and you can run it as much as you want with no limits.
    And the Twisted Corridors with 18 level will also feel very different to the 6 level of the other wings, as the powers will really start to stack up.

Dude its a new feature, it has lot of promise.

Its not amazing but for now its ok for a first tier. Players can get familiar with it etc.

Over course of the expansion in content patches I bet its gonna improve a lot as time goes on. New difficulties, new layers, new features new bosses, new puzzles, powers etc etc.

Might still be really epic as time goes on.

Just be patient with and realize its just a start.

Its so much better then warfronts, islands, well not sure its better then vissions yet but we will see.

If they would fix it so that the "You are hunted mobs" do not spawn like the debuff when you are in combat it would be better.

I have no idea why those streamers ALL thought it is an amazingly fun content. Didn't they know it would be a weekly timegated stuff?

Thus the poll
    It's almost as if different people like different things. I know it's a foreign concept to a lot of MMO-C people.

When they were praising it, it wasn't time-gated and it was more fun. They did not know it would be a weekly time-gated thing because, at the time, it wasn't. It was a test environment where you could endlessly compound powers, the powers were more broken and you could do it all at once. You had to remember to get your soul ash or leggo drop from a chest at the end of the floor, it didn't drop off the boss, there were no torments (fuck those random spawning things, they are NOT fun) etc

Honestly, I played Torghast in alpha and beta and it was way more fun when you could compound powers on higher floors. The gating of 6 floors really makes the power accumulation feel like it only gets good on Floor 5 of any given layer. As soon as Layer 8 opens, I will only do Layer 8s (in groups if I have to) each week and I will never do the lower layers again because Torghast is no longer fun to do.

It was more fun when it mattered less. Also, I hate Ven'ari and the maw and the fact that you have to go there for Stygia to get Torghast rewards to make your runs better or easier.

It's a lot of fun, it's sort exactly what it was advertised as. I am looking forward to unlocking more of it, especially higher difficulties.

The only real criticism I can get behind is the lack of rewards. At the same time, I fear that adding rewards will make the novelty wear out quicker. I go in once or twice a week and don't feel any pressure to do it any more than that. That's pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadrak View Post
    Its so much better then warfronts, islands, well not sure its better then vissions yet but we will see.
    I'm gonna say doing literally nothing is better than Visions in many ways, so I think it cleared that bar for me.

A lot of the criticism of Torghast beyond what I laid out seems to be "Ugh, it's just an instance where you KILL THINGS but sometimes you get powers that make you STRONGER. OCCASIONALLY you will CC things and then you'll need to fight a BOSS Sometimes there's STUFF ON THE GROUND and ADDS. How pedestrian." and just...that's literally fucking MMO content! I don't know if the same people complaining about the base concept are the target audience anymore.

I like it, but the Randomness can get quite annoying I had one run on a Layer 3 last week that I was at 0 deaths left and pulled a magical hat trick crit spree and killed the final boss. then I walked into a Layer 4 this week and it was a cake walk I was basically god mode and could not be killed and melted everything I touched. I stay Frost for all my runs.

The full extent of Torghast isn't even available yet. The endless fun-run wings haven't even launched, and all our item levels are so low that the early layers are tough.

There's nothing wrong with voicing concern but you're worried about a feature you havdnt even fully experienced yet. Not to mention the experience beta testers had was testing the limits and insane potential for Torghast, not the final product we're playing now

I like it, but it would be nice if you automatically looted the phantasmagoria like from the vases. It slows it down way too much. Also, they need to work on the scaling of different group sizes better. It's a breeze solo, but gets very difficult the more people you add.

I like how the harder difficulty you do the more mechanics /harder sets of mobs and groups of packs get added instead of just the damage and health increasing (unless there is no difference and I only noticed it once the damage was higher).

I do it as ret so I have good damage and excellent survivability especially with the anima powers that are sometimes incredible. I got 4 stacks of an anima power that has a very very high chance to regenerate 5% of my max health on abilities. So with more than half of my abilities I automatically just heal for 20% of my health. That's incredible. Then add in a couple of the reduced holy power cost per spender, multiple of the 15% increased effectiveness on holy power spenders, 100% effectiveness on wings, mobs can get stunned when you use hammer of wrath/judgment, you permantely reduce mobs damage/health by 20%, etc etc... Like.. it get's insane and is pretty fun to have all of them combined and be massively overpowered.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-12-10 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    I'm gonna say doing literally nothing is better than Visions in many ways, so I think it cleared that bar for me.

A lot of the criticism of Torghast beyond what I laid out seems to be "Ugh, it's just an instance where you KILL THINGS but sometimes you get powers that make you STRONGER. OCCASIONALLY you will CC things and then you'll need to fight a BOSS Sometimes there's STUFF ON THE GROUND and ADDS. How pedestrian." and just...that's literally fucking MMO content! I don't know if the same people complaining about the base concept are the target audience anymore.
    Myself I only played since 9.0 when visions were up And I only had cloak rank 5 so I havent played them a lot.

But the corruption mechanic inside visions was pretty fun and you had talent tree. And you had to buy tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadrak View Post
    Myself I only played since 9.0 when visions were up And I only had cloak rank 5 so I havent played them a lot.

But the corruption mechanic inside visions was pretty fun and you had talent tree. And you had to buy tickets.
    Yeah it's not too bad in that context. It's when you got to higher tier trees and got into higher cloaks that it got very unfun by virtue of sheer burnout. I got the 100k memento wasp, Mail Muncher, Faceless One, etc. and it's just...not as fun to repeat as Torghast, by a miiiile.

Doing it in 9.0 means you were also spared of the dreaded Corruptions (on gear, not the instance ones).

Really, it goes to show how much they've improved, even if SL has plenty of things to fix.

Its just tedious to me, its not good its not yet at the level of being bad, just another chore to be done for progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    I'd like an endless version

As it stands I really like it, but could be better
    Now that i've played it I get why there isn't an endless version. We would just literally kill everything in one shot and then leech to full health every second.

- Torghast is Amazing!

Thus the poll
    I am glad you asked. Yes, you are out of touch.