Tencent now owns a majority in Digital Extremes/Warframe

https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/14/tencent-leyout/

Well shit. I was hoping their increase from "grind for item" to "grind rep to unlock grind or resource to grind item" would get toned back as player interest seems to have declined in recent years.

Doubt thats happening now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more concerned that Tencent is just adding more tenatcles into a bunch of well american companies.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Didn't we find out that Tencent was buying DE months ago?

Not that I care much now. The updates slowed to a crawl after 2015 and became a rewardless grindfest horde shooter, rather than the rewarding, tactical left 4 dead esque game I liked back in 2013 and 2014. The Second Dream got me really hyped for the story but since then we've gotten barely 1 hour of story of every 2 years and at this point I don't care anymore.

Tencent doesn't meddle with its western studios. It owns GGG and Riot, the former has changed little if at all since being acquired and the latter has changed, but arguably for the better based on my experience with the new business model. Tencent isn't looking to meddle with game development for existing games, they're just looking to get more western dollars and ownership outside of China, that's why they're investing in/buying already profitable companies and leaving them alone.

Pour one out for Sumpo Food Holdings though, they were the former owners of Digital Extremes. The company has long been owned by Chinese companies, so this only changes which Chinese company owns them.

That was my favorite "Random ass company that nobody heard of that owns a relatively known company."

Hey, they got Lexie Liu to play Seraphine, so that's cool.

That's old news, and it won't have any impact on the game itself. If any, DE has started to do shit way before Tencent arrived, it will be difficult to blame Tencent for any of the future bad direction the game might take.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Tencent doesn't meddle with its western studios. It owns GGG and Riot, the former has changed little if at all since being acquired and the latter has changed, but arguably for the better based on my experience with the new business model. Tencent isn't looking to meddle with game development for existing games, they're just looking to get more western dollars and ownership outside of China, that's why they're investing in/buying already profitable companies and leaving them alone.

Pour one out for Sumpo Food Holdings though, they were the former owners of Digital Extremes. The company has long been owned by Chinese companies, so this only changes which Chinese company owns them.

That was my favorite "Random ass company that nobody heard of that owns a relatively known company."

It's a classic case of what I like to call Chinaphobia. So many people have a irrational fear of china it's kinda funny.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    That's old news, and it won't have any impact on the game itself. If any, DE has started to do shit way before Tencent arrived, it will be difficult to blame Tencent for any of the future bad direction the game might take.
    Upon seeing this thread, I had been trying to come up with a clever way of joking about how Tencent can't possible make Warframe any worse than how DE has been handling it these days, but anything I could come up with kind of falls flat when I think about how, over the past couple years, DE has already been proving that it can always get worse. :|
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I'm more concerned that Tencent is just adding more tenatcles into a bunch of well american companies.
    40 years ago the US economy was almost 10 times the size of the Chinese. The Chinese economy is expected to surpass the US by the end of this decade.
    And if we count in PPP China is already the biggest economy in the world.

50 years ago USA's GDP was almost 40% of the world's GDP, today it is around 20% and falling.

Unless the US can destroy China in a nuclear war then you have to get used to more and more the US economy to be bought out by Chinese companies.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    40 years ago the US economy was almost 10 times the size of the Chinese. The Chinese economy is expected to surpass the US by the end of this decade.
    And if we count in PPP China is already the biggest economy in the world.

50 years ago USA's GDP was almost 40% of the world's GDP, today it is around 20% and falling.

Unless the US can destroy China in a nuclear war then you have to get used to more and more the US economy to be bought out by Chinese companies.
    This. Nothing nefarious, just purely economical. Not everything is some CCP plot to destroy or infiltrate Western culture.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    Unless the US can destroy China in a nuclear war
    I'd prefer that they don't use nukes. Then it mucks up the area for millennia - area that could be repurposed. Use the second "best" option; copious amounts of napalm and thermobaric weapons. But anyway, back on topic...

I would not be surprised if Tencent in time sought to buy World of Warcraft from Activision-Blizzard. I would also not particularly care, since I've personally had it with the game. That being said, it would be a teeny-tiny bit sad to see an iconic title fall into their hands.

Isn't it known that Tencent doesn't fuck with game development decisions ? Isn't it pretty much an investment company ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    I'd prefer that they don't use nukes. Then it mucks up the area for millennia - area that could be repurposed. Use the second "best" option; copious amounts of napalm and thermobaric weapons. But anyway, back on topic...

I would not be surprised if Tencent in time sought to buy World of Warcraft from Activision-Blizzard. I would also not particularly care, since I've personally had it with the game. That being said, it would be a teeny-tiny bit sad to see an iconic title fall into their hands.
    You'd sooner see Activision falling then that but then again some people are overly paranoid of Ten cent or anything China.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi