Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Aha. So because you have facebook and google account you should just willingly hand yourself out to everyone out there?
    You've never actually looked at what you have to give to make an account to get the addons, have you? YOu give ZERO actual data to sign up. Goggle and Facebook require you to give them your name address, and other stuff. You are giving therm far more than what you are giving Overwolf, yet people are whining about Overwolf while they gladly hand over real data to Facebook. It's hypocrisy and ignorance.

What they gather on you depends on what you put up on your profile and account details. I mean, you put it there so how could they not know you.
    You don't. There is zero reason to create account.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Its not the adware. It is the fact that they have been pushing to have ads playing in game from addons while you play. From every addon you download from them. I run over 50 addons. That wouls be 50 ads playing on my screen.

Thankfully blizzard told them no.

Overwolf wants all addons you use to play ads on your screen in game. One for every addon you use from them. The only reason they have not is because blizz told them no. The very reason they even suggested it means they can not ever be trusted.
    Prove it. No game company is going to let them do that, so it does not matter. You are basically complaining about something that isn't happening and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Now this is a very selfishly narrow way of thinking. Do you ever sit back and think about the fact that different people are not you?

You need on to be able to automatically install addons. I am not going to waste time to manually install them.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I know Twitch has a link to the new addon site that we can use, but i heard alot of negative about it.
    So what is the best option now to get new addons?
    Overwolf has some issues, so many people recommend avoiding it. Some of those issues are around advertising, but the bigger concern is their developers including suspect elements in the downloads. I personally recommend avoiding it, but to each their own.

I personally use WowUp now. It has a more basic interface, but it works quite well.

Aha. So because you have facebook and google account you should just willingly hand yourself out to everyone out there?
    That’s not the point the other person was making and I would like to think people are smart enough to realize that. Apparently not as the point when pretty far over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    You need on to be able to automatically install addons. I am not going to waste time to manually install them.
    No. I never logged in in app can still update (including all) and install addons from curseforge app just fine:

https://i.imgur.com/EpF4UTE.png

(technically I do have account on curseforge and overwolf since I am addon author but I have never provided info when using it on app, nor have I logged in in app itself or overwolf website)

And I just checked, you can download and use app without having account
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2020-12-16 at 04:17 PM.

Its not the adware. It is the fact that they have been pushing to have ads playing in game from addons while you play. From every addon you download from them. I run over 50 addons. That wouls be 50 ads playing on my screen.

Overwolf wants all addons you use to play ads on your screen in game. One for every addon you use from them. The only reason they have not is because blizz told them no. The very reason they even suggested it means they can not ever be trusted.
    Just....no. The ad plays on the platform itself while its open but there is no way it can force ads on your game screen once the app is closed. It requires some settings configuration but once Curseforge is closed, OW goes with it.

While OW will look to make its income somehow, doing what you mentioned will put the app and possibly their whole company 6 feet under. Unless you have some sources on their plans to play adds on some overlay per addon you have, stop spreading the fud.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Overwolf has some issues, so many people recommend avoiding it. Some of those issues are around advertising, but the bigger concern is their developers including suspect elements in the downloads. I personally recommend avoiding it, but to each their own.

I personally use WowUp now. It has a more basic interface, but it works quite well.
    YOu do know that WoWup leeches off of the Curse Forge database, so those "suspect elements" will be there as well, right? You aren't avoiding that by using WoWUp.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Why does every simple app we use haft to make money on us?
    because we use their app?

I have been using CurseForge (Overwolf) since Twitch went away. It has the same look and feel that Twitch had for add-ons. I haven't had any problems with it.

YOu do know that WoWup leeches off of the Curse Forge database, so those "suspect elements" will be there as well, right? You aren't avoiding that by using WoWUp.
    If by leeches you mean download from the repo, then yes. But all that code is open source. Hes talking about overwolf having suspect elements

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    If by leeches you mean download from the repo, then yes. But all that code is open source. Hes talking about overwolf having suspect elements
    Open source code doesn't mean you can freely distribute it as you see fit. Intellectual property belongs to addon authors and that is restricted by license.

It is literally what they said. The fact that someone from overwolf even suggested it to blizzard means they should not be trusted.

They changes it to a pop up ad that covers your screen (reports of it from people.) However originally they wanted them to play from all your addons
    Prooflink? Or just are you just asspulling this?

- - - Updated - - -

No, you don't. You've used to need to create one in pre-Twitch CF client. OW/CF client doesn't require you to create an account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post

Name exact issues. Not "some" issues, "not some around advertising". Name exact issue. "You personally" probably didn't ran it even once, otherwise you'd knew that right now there's even zero ads in there - there's an empty placeholder in place of future single banner. I just can't imagine what "some issue" that could be.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I know Twitch has a link to the new addon site that we can use, but i heard alot of negative about it.
    So what is the best option now to get new addons?
    As the others have said, WoWUp is a great program, and it even runs on Linux which makes it for me pretty easy to chose from which I would like to use. Have used the other programs on Linux before but this one is the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidenn View Post
    I have been using CurseForge (Overwolf) since Twitch went away. It has the same look and feel that Twitch had for add-ons. I haven't had any problems with it.
    It's not just same look - it's literally the same app. I've checked the code and it is directly lifted from Twitch implementation.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Open source code doesn't mean you can freely distribute it as you see fit. Intellectual property belongs to addon authors and that is restricted by license.
    I dont see what your post has to do with mine. Im just stating you wont find malware in your wow addon because its open source while overwolf is proprietary.

I'm using Overwolf, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by KondiPrint View Post
    I use WowUp - Simple and good in my opinion.
    It can be downloaded from WowUp.io
    This + it's open source
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.