Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    When they delayed the game back in March/April, or hell even earlier, they should have just said, look, sorry guys, this thing has now expanded far, far beyond initial plans, old gen can't keep up and thus Cyberpunk becomes a next-gen title released in 2021 on PC and next gen consoles. We'll refund your pre-orders or convert them to a new-gen version as desired. There would have been a big controversy for sure because everything is a controversy in gamerland, but far less than the current shitshow I think.
    People would have been upset, no doubt, but this would have been the right move either way. Delay last gen console release further, or cancel it altogether for last gen and wait for next gen. However, PC is running fine, there would have been no need to delay PC release.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I think that the situation is that it worked acceptably on upgraded consoles like PS4 Pro, but since there is no such thing as a PS4 Pro exclusive, they had to release a general last-gen version for people on those systems, even if they had the base version.
    Still not an excuse, is it?

The one redeeming thing about Cyberpunk 2077 is that its so bad its good.

At least it's hilarious to play it right now till they hopefully they fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    The one redeeming thing about Cyberpunk 2077 is that its so bad its good.

At least it's hilarious to play it right now till they hopefully they fix it.
    Funny you post that because I was just coming here to post this -

Laughed my ass off. I can't wait for them to whip the game into shape because I do want to play the hell outta it. Even if it's working just fine for plenty of folks, I'm super enjoying all the bugs and glitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    If you're trying to refute his argument, throwing random phrases around that don't mean anything won't do the trick. "Input delays" should be entirely separate from framerate, especially given that you are not responding to games with fractional millisecond precision.
    Higher frame timing and higher frame rate both reduce imput lag.
    This is why people play better CS:GO at 144Hz and 144+ FPS, If you play at 30 FPS on a lower refresh rate monitor you will play worse period. That's just a fact.
    This is why no one is taking you seriously when you're claiming a random bare minimum standard from a different media decided over 100 years ago is fine for video games.

Also lol at the 2-3 years ago comment. People have been regularly playing AAA PC games 60 on non $8000 meme machines going back to the TB years, so try like at least 9 years
    EDIT: that's not even counting going all the way back to when basically every game ran at your monitor's refresh rate no matter what (so 50 or 60).
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2020-12-17 at 05:50 PM.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    When they delayed the game back in March/April, or hell even earlier, they should have just said, look, sorry guys, this thing has now expanded far, far beyond initial plans, old gen can't keep up and thus Cyberpunk becomes a next-gen title released in 2021 on PC and next gen consoles. We'll refund your pre-orders or convert them to a new-gen version as desired. There would have been a big controversy for sure because everything is a controversy in gamerland, but far less than the current shitshow I think.

I just have a hard time believing that they didn't see the writing on the wall when playtesting the old gen versions. Maybe greed overtook their reason and the higher-ups decided that a massive sales spike right before the holidays was worth a loss in reputation from the borked release. I strongly doubt everyone at the company was OK with putting out such a broken mess. Imagine what it was before the delays.

Then again, even if there were 0 actual bugs the game is choke full of jank, dodgy animations even when working as intended, bad AI, and incredibly half baked ideas like the broken wanted system that literally spawns cops on your ass even deep in poor districts or in Pacifica where they explicitly don't patrol. There's still a good to great game underneath it all, I'm having fun, but this feels like a title that doesn't come anywhere near reaching its fullest potential, whereas TW3 did. It needed 6 months to a year more in the oven, which after such a long time tells me that development must have been quite chaotic.
    Realistically, last gen should have been yeeted out of development a couple of years ago. It was obvious even during early trailers and gameplay that the game wasn't suited for those consoles. And CDPR clearly aren't Panic Button, who did marvelous work porting Doom 2016 and Eternal to the Switch, a console so hilariously underpowered but still manages to make the games run great. But it also helps having a well optimized engine to work with, which clearly Red Engine in its current form isn't optimized to be efficient, making porting the game harder. I still think they should have focused on delivering the PC version for 2020 and the next gen console version in early 2021, it would have been a better use of resources.

Management should be blamed for caving to shareholders and pushing out a garbage last gen product and one that is still broken but playable on the PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Actually, I argue that it is. Especially with the PS5 so hard to get. If Cyberpunk got the game to work on PS4 Pro, they were absolutely right in releasing it for PS4. That means base PS4 users like myself might end up with a broken game, but since there is no such thing as a PS4 Pro exclusive, there is no reason why Pro owners shouldn't get to play a game just because the base version can't cut it. If anyone is to blame it would be Sony and Microsoft for not allowing developers to create games exclusive to their upgraded consoles. The fact that people complain about base console Cyberpunk is no different than people complaining they can't play the game on an underpowered PC. It isn't CDProjekt's fault for creating it in the first place.

Actually, I argue that it is. Especially with the PS5 so hard to get. If Cyberpunk got the game to work on PS4 Pro, they were absolutely right in releasing it for PS4. That means base PS4 users like myself might end up with a broken game, but since there is no such thing as a PS4 Pro exclusive, there is no reason why Pro owners shouldn't get to play a game just because the base version can't cut it. If anyone is to blame it would be Sony and Microsoft for not allowing developers to create games exclusive to their upgraded consoles. The fact that people complain about base console Cyberpunk is no different than people complaining they can't play the game on an underpowered PC. It isn't CDProjekt's fault for creating it in the first place.
    "Blame Sony and MS". LOL no, that's not how it works and again Sony's own first parties have games that shit on Cyberpunk PS4 graphically and maintain 30 fps on the base console. Also the game doesn't run well on One X and PS4 Pro either so not sure what you're even talking about, instead of the drops being 10-15 fps they are 15-20 fps! It works on the Pro though lmao.

It's time to stop using the "old consoles" excuse. They weren't old in 2015 when Witcher 3 was dropping to 20 fps on them, or had textures that would never load so it looked like an n64 game at times. They where 1.5 years old at the time. CDPR is just a janky ass developer that rushes out their products under crunch conditions. Time to accept reality. There is a reason the term "eurojank" exists when EU RPG devs where always making janky ass products and CDPR was part of that. Just seems people forgot because they really liked the story in Witcher 3 and ignored everything else about that game was a jank fest and that carried over into Cyberpunk which doesn't have as strong of a story but maintains all the jank.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-12-17 at 06:41 PM.

This is becoming surreal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    People would have been upset, no doubt, but this would have been the right move either way. Delay last gen console release further, or cancel it altogether for last gen and wait for next gen. However, PC is running fine, there would have been no need to delay PC release.

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from bugs, there are clear signs that the game was rushed out, so it might run well on a PC in terms of specs, but still an unfinished mess. This game needed another year lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    "Blame Sony and MS". LOL no, that's not how it works and again Sony's own first parties have games that shit on Cyberpunk PS4 graphically and maintain 30 fps on the base console. Also the game doesn't run well on One X and PS4 Pro either so not sure what you're even talking about, instead of the drops being 10-15 fps they are 15-20 fps! It works on the Pro though lmao.

It's time to stop using the "old consoles" excuse. They weren't old in 2015 when Witcher 3 was dropping to 20 fps on them, or had textures that would never load so it looked like an n64 game at times. They where 1.5 years old at the time. CDPR is just a janky ass developer that rushes out their products under crunch conditions. Time to accept reality. There is a reason the term "eurojank" exists when EU RPG devs where always making janky ass products and CDPR was part of that. Just seems people forgot because they really liked the story in Witcher 3 and ignored everything else about that game was a jank fest and that carried over into Cyberpunk which doesn't have as strong of a story but maintains all the jank.
    But it apparently runs fine on anything other than base PS4 and XBone. Yeah, I don't get why my PS4 is struggling so much with some of these things, it's not like I'm lagging in when there are tons of bullets or explosions on screen, it's things like pulling up the message menu or radio, the inability to go into third person on my vehicle, that sort of thing. But the fact that these problems don't exist or are much less pronounced on newer consoles means that there is obviously some technical problems I don't know about. Unless you are suggesting they intentionally crippled last gen console ports, or just slapped them together without optimizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Realistically, last gen should have been yeeted out of development a couple of years ago. It was obvious even during early trailers and gameplay that the game wasn't suited for those consoles. And CDPR clearly aren't Panic Button, who did marvelous work porting Doom 2016 and Eternal to the Switch, a console so hilariously underpowered but still manages to make the games run great. But it also helps having a well optimized engine to work with, which clearly Red Engine in its current form isn't optimized to be efficient, making porting the game harder. I still think they should have focused on delivering the PC version for 2020 and the next gen console version in early 2021, it would have been a better use of resources.

Management should be blamed for caving to shareholders and pushing out a garbage last gen product and one that is still broken but playable on the PC.
    The animation quality is what bugs me the most TBH. Sure, game isn't fully optmized, most titles aren't at or shortly after launch and not all of them can be Doom Eternal which as you said has an engine so fine tuned it runs great even on freaking Switch which is impressive to say the least. The bugs are very unfortunate and obviously the product of poor planning/greed most likely but hey, what's an open world game without goofy glitches.

But most animations are average at best, and quite poor at worst when they even work, especially those involving the Mantis Blades or stealth takedowns. The sex scenes are also nothing impressive. Which is weird because I remember TW3 having a high animation quality across the board so it can't be just the engine. Combined with all the other issues I highlighted earlier, this feels like a game that was chopped and stripped of a lot of features and systems while not having enough time to be properly finished. Even without all the bugs and poor optimization the game just doesn't feel complete.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from bugs, there are clear signs that the game was rushed out, so it might run well on a PC in terms of specs, but still an unfinished mess. This game needed another year lol
    More like a few months then a year if we go by how PCs are handling it, the game is feature complete.

this feels like a game that was chopped and stripped of a lot of features and systems

Probably cause that is waht happened, there was an article going around that seemed to imply a lot of features ended up not making it.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2020-12-17 at 06:53 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

It isn't CDProjekt's fault for creating it in the first place.
    Did they not make the game or something? Whose fault is it that they released an arguably barely-playable game on multiple consoles, then? Why not just skip last-gen entirely given the considerably smaller install bases for the Pro/One X compared to the baseline models?

Why are you freeing CDPR of seemingly all responsibility in making sure their own game works?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you are suggesting they intentionally crippled last gen console ports, or just slapped them together without optimizing it.
    The argument seems to be that they put little effort into the base PS4/Xbox One versions, which is why they're hot garbage. And that they spent years obfuscating and misleading consumers about the state of those versions of the game (claiming parity and that it was looking "really good" often), and their approach to reviews was specifically limit access to the console versions so that the general public would have as little warning as possible about how garbage they are. That's why they sent out PC keys only.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I'm probably going to enjoy the game when I do buy it in a month or two for PC (after a few more patches etc) - I DO find it hilarious that all the pre-release Memes of the last few years - the ones where they showed pictures of things being used/put together weird ways with the "Cyberpunk 2077" logo emblazoned on it - were actually more predictive than anyone imagined!

(The one that comes to mind right now is the picture of the console controlled with a fly swatter taped to it - "Cyberpunk 2077" meme)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Did they not make the game or something? Whose fault is it that they released an arguably barely-playable game on multiple consoles, then? Why not just skip last-gen entirely given the considerably smaller install bases for the Pro/One X compared to the baseline models?

Why are you freeing CDPR of seemingly all responsibility in making sure their own game works?
    Because you shouldn't deny one group of players something just because another group won't have an ideal experience. If you have two children, you don't deny one child milk because the other is lactose intolerant. It's not his fault if he gets in the fridge and pours out a glass. That's the scenario. PS4 can't handle a game the PS4 Pro can, but they share the same fridge. It's not CDPRs fault for putting milk in that fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    More like a few months then a year if we go by how PCs are handling it, the game is feature complete.

Probably cause that is waht happened, there was an article going around that seemed to imply a lot of features ended up not making it.
    Actually I don't know if that's the case. I mean, I'm not in game development so I wouldn't know, but I would guess that coding issues run a bit deeper and are very time consuming?
    Like, they fix cars dropping on you, then some NPC's pants disappear when a traffic light goes green. Do you get me?

- - - Updated - - -

Because you shouldn't deny one group of players something just because another group won't have an ideal experience. If you have two children, you don't deny one child milk because the other is lactose intolerant. It's not his fault if he gets in the fridge and pours out a glass. That's the scenario. PS4 can't handle a game the PS4 Pro can, but they share the same fridge. It's not CDPRs fault for putting milk in that fridge.
    Wtf are you talking about lol. Dude. A developer released a game for a console. It doesn't work. You blame the console? The users? Why?

Because you shouldn't deny one group of players something just because another group won't have an ideal experience.
    Who is being denied what? What are you talking about? This is just criticism of CDPR for releasing an absolutely garbage version of the game and spending years misleading consumers about it.

PS4 can't handle a game the PS4 Pro can, but they share the same fridge. It's not CDPRs fault for putting milk in that fridge.
    It literally is. If baseline PS4 can't handle it and they can't be bothered to get it looking like more than a PS3 game, they should have skipped it. This is straight up defending garbage and anti-consumer behavior from a company.

How mad would you be if they released it on PC and it straight up didn't work at all with AMD CPU/GPU's? Like, only Intel/Nvidia would run well, AMD would struggle to reach 20fps even if you're overclocking the top-end hardware. Would that be acceptable because at least Intel/Nvidia people could enjoy the game?

PS4 can't handle a game the PS4 Pro can, but they share the same fridge. It's not CDPRs fault for putting milk in that fridge.
    First off Pro and X barely handle the game.

Second from the CEO's own mouth they barely did any optimization for last gen period. The CEO has admitted fault for everything, Why are you still defending it?

They rushed the game out when they didn't need to and he admitted to barely putting any effort into optimization for it. The game isn't anything special and there is games that look and run much better (RDR2/TLOU2).

It should have been delayed a year because not only is it lacking in performance, its lacking in promised features.

Oh and for bonus points the same CEO lied a fucken month ago saying it runs great on last gen.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    How mad would you be if they released it on PC and it straight up didn't work at all with AMD CPU/GPU's? Like, only Intel/Nvidia would run well, AMD would struggle to reach 20fps even if you're overclocking the top-end hardware. Would that be acceptable because at least Intel/Nvidia people could enjoy the game?
    That's a more extreme example. But still, yes. If they can't get it to work with all GPUs, that doesn't mean they should just throw away the game and not release it if it worked fine on others. But that isn't accurate. The parallel to a game working on Nvidia but not AMD is more like working on XBox but not Playstation. A more accurate comparison would be to a game struggling on a 1060 but keeping up with a 1080.

The parallel to a game working on Nvidia but not AMD is more like working on XBox
    No it isn't and you clearly don't get how consoles work.

CEO admits fault and people like you still defend the company, fucken priceless.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    First off Pro and X barely handle the game.

Second from the CEO's own mouth they barely did any optimization for last gen period. The CEO has admitted fault for everything, Why are you still defending it?

They rushed the game out when they didn't need to and he admitted to barely putting any effort into optimization for it. The game isn't anything special and there is games that look and run much better (RDR2/TLOU2).

It should have been delayed a year because not only is it lacking in performance, its lacking in promised features.

Oh and for bonus points the same CEO lied a fucken month ago saying it runs great on last gen.
    They took a month that was supposedly dedicate to optimizing old consoles. Did they just sit on their asses the whole time? I highly doubt they would do that and then not use that time. Either it couldn't be done and they really tried, or CDPR is incompetent and doesn't have the technical abilities as game developers to do the optimization. And call me an optimist, but I believe the former.