Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    For sure PS4/Xboxthatolderone version should be delayed or maybe even scrapped. On PC there are bugs too, but I doubt it would damage their reputation, people are not surprised big open RPGs have lot of bugs.

One good thing that CDPR finally got humility lesson. Some players treated them like new gaming messiah and they started to believe in it ("we leave greed to others" is cringe as hell).

Yeah, yeah, and of course you decide what is good and what is not, totally-not-person-with-agenda.
    Eventually one day as a society we'll go back to actually calling shite, shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Actually, I argue that it is. Especially with the PS5 so hard to get. If Cyberpunk got the game to work on PS4 Pro, they were absolutely right in releasing it for PS4. That means base PS4 users like myself might end up with a broken game, but since there is no such thing as a PS4 Pro exclusive, there is no reason why Pro owners shouldn't get to play a game just because the base version can't cut it. If anyone is to blame it would be Sony and Microsoft for not allowing developers to create games exclusive to their upgraded consoles. The fact that people complain about base console Cyberpunk is no different than people complaining they can't play the game on an underpowered PC. It isn't CDProjekt's fault for creating it in the first place.
    Well, that an awful argument, no two ways about it. ITs 100% on CDPR that the game doesnt run well on the platforms theyre selling it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Because for what it is, its a good game and enjoyable. When its not buggy or has bad optimization. Look you don't have to like it whatever I think thats crazy but you do you, but if someone likes it let them be. Be more annoyed at the company for doing more then they could and well lying to Sony and Microsoft about the state of the console version of the game.
    Cool, then call it what it is. An early access release. "It's good when it works" is not a selling point for a game in full release lmfao.

The fact that I played the entire game on the hardest difficulty and was one shotting everything and only died to random explosions from random gas tanks spread all over the place is the biggest problem I have with the game.

I did the secret ending rambo mission and it was a breeze. The "last boss" of the game died where he spawned without hitting me once in around 5 seconds.

Oh and the side mission timings also pissed me off. Having to wait an entire day for the NPCS to call me with a new mission is very messy.

I went half of the game with most of the side missions not done because I didn't know they were supposed to give me a new one after one day ingame time.

Then you go to your inventory, skip 24 hours and they magically call you with stuff.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2020-12-17 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringefest View Post
    It's a matter of taste, but personally, a game that shows up and has NPCs dumber than games that came out 15 years ago, cops spawning behind you, stuff disappearing as you turn your head, in 2020 isn't a good game. It could be if the story is like, legendary good levels. Which let's face it, it isn't. You might like it or not, but you can't say the story is top quality.

https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/20...yberpunk-2077/

This one says it better than I ever could
    That review is as bad as the reviewer thinks the game is. I guess that guy doesn't realize that Johnny Silverhand predates this game and he's actually mocking a longstanding staple in the genre. The review is nitpicky about the dumbest shit. He's mad that food vendors have icons on the map, but food isn't too useful in the game. OH NO! GIMME DAT REFUND!!111

10+ Year Old Account
    You can skip the time you know.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'm loving this main story. V is a piece of shit, I want to let Johnny live again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    That review is as bad as the reviewer thinks the game is. I guess that guy doesn't realize that Johnny Silverhand predates this game and he's actually mocking a longstanding staple in the genre. The review is nitpicky about the dumbest shit. He's mad that food vendors have icons on the map, but food isn't too useful in the game. OH NO! GIMME DAT REFUND!!111
    It's obviously part of the bigger picture. A flat world. Doesn't matter how pretty it is. Didn't Dark Souls teach you a lesson? There you have a linear, dark, buggy messy world, that through pure writing skills (which includes knowing when NOT to write) manages to build depths that this mess of a game will never ever reach, even with the lore of the cyberpunk game behind it. Why? Cause it's poor. The writing is poor and it shows, and that's what people are saying. You have zero impact on the story. Which is fine if the game can back it up somehow with other features, but it can't. It's not hard, it's not complex, it's not immersive. Go check user critics maybe and you'll understand it's not exclusively a matter of bugs.
    You might like it or not. It doesn't make it a good game. There's some standards you need to reach especially if you claim something specific. This game failed to back it up and it's flat on his face.

It's obviously part of the bigger picture. A flat world. Doesn't matter how pretty it is. Didn't Dark Souls teach you a lesson? There you have a linear, dark, buggy messy world, that through pure writing skills (which includes knowing when NOT to write) manages to build depths that this mess of a game will never ever reach, even with the lore of the cyberpunk game behind it. Why? Cause it's poor. The writing is poor and it shows, and that's what people are saying. You have zero impact on the story. Which is fine if the game can back it up somehow with other features, but it can't. It's not hard, it's not complex, it's not immersive. Go check user critics maybe and you'll understand it's not exclusively a matter of bugs.
    You might like it or not. It doesn't make it a good game. There's some standards you need to reach especially if you claim something specific. This game failed to back it up and it's flat on his face.
    Whether it's a good game or not is a subjective opinion up to each individual. Time will tell where the game lands in gamers' minds. Is player choice consequential to the story? No. Is that a necessary ingredient for a good game? No. Is it shitty that the business promised more than it delivered? Yup.

The idea that the writing is poor is laughable. To be fair to my earlier point, good or bad story is subjective, but there are technical elements to story construction that I'd argue are less subjective. Are there well defined characters, does the story follow a chain of causation, can it be understood? Yes to all of these - and many writers fail at these basic elements! The story is well constructed, the writers play with the setting in interesting ways I haven't seen before, and many of the characters are memorable, personally I'd give the writing at least a B - haven't finished it yet though and to be fair the ending matters. Is it a contender for best story ever? Probably not, it leans too heavily on tropes for that, but poor? As in shoddily made? Naw.

Edit: just to add to yours and the reviewer's comments on immersion - we 100% completely disagree on that. I have no problem immersing myself in the game, but to be fair I have any imagination whatsoever, so these minor details don't break my experience.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2020-12-17 at 08:40 PM.

Whether it's a good game or not is a subjective opinion up to each individual. Time will tell where the game lands in gamers' minds. Is player choice consequential to the story? No. Is that a necessary ingredient for a good game? No. Is it shitty that the business promised more than it delivered? Yup.

The idea that the writing is poor is laughable. To be fair to my earlier point, good or bad story is subjective, but there are technical elements to story construction that I'd argue are less subjective. Are there well defined characters, does the story follow a chain of causation, can it be understood? Yes to all of these - and many writers fail at these basic elements! The story is well constructed, the writers play with the setting in interesting ways I haven't seen before, and many of the characters are memorable, personally I'd give the writing at least a B - haven't finished it yet though and to be fair the ending matters. Is it a contender for best story ever? Probably not, it leans too heavily on tropes for that, but poor? As in shoddily made? Naw.

Edit: just to add to yours and the reviewer's comments on immersion - we 100% completely disagree on that. I have no problem immersing myself in the game, but to be fair I have any imagination whatsoever, so these minor details don't break my experience.
    We agree on several points. I also think that there are definite objective factors one can use to judge the writing of something like CP2077. We disagree on how the game lands on specific topics but that's cool. It'd be a boring place if we were all the same. Cheers.

We agree on several points. I also think that there are definite objective factors one can use to judge the writing of something like CP2077. We disagree on how the game lands on specific topics but that's cool. It'd be a boring place if we were all the same. Cheers.
    You had to ruin my fun by being a decent person.

You had to ruin my fun by being a decent person.
    Ready to engage weren't ya

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I'm loving this main story. V is a piece of shit, I want to let Johnny live again.
    I'm enjoying the dialog a lot more than I thought I would as well. Sure, it's cliché and a bit edgy for its own sake at times, but the game knows how to alternate between mercenary tough talk, bouts of asshattery and more heartfelt moments without it feeling jarring. V's a good protagonist, and Johnny grows on me as the game progresses. He's an asshole, no two ways about it, but a fairly interesting one, and that's what matters.

The story isn't a home run by any means, but it's good enough to keep me interested in what comes next. Just about equal to TW3's I'd say, with better characters if you ask me.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Speak for yourself, I'm having a blast.
    I actually don't understand the motivation behind these glib posts (I'm not jumping on you specifically you see them like every 4 pages). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story and the gunplay and hacking were fine but are you honestly saying you can't see the obvious glaring flaws or do you just not care?

Like:
    The driving AI, not being AI so any obstruction or deviation just stops the cars moving;
    The wanted AI just spawning police on top of you who give up if you move 300m up the road;
    The NPCs having one canned line and action even if it's inappropriate for the context (like the video of the guy who goes up to an npc comforting someone and she talks about the weather);
    The lack of a helmet toggle;
    The lack of a torch;
    No barbers; or
    No car customization (why can you buy every car in the game if you can't do anything with it).

Like that's not even getting into the subjective stuff like cyberware and the 'rpg' mechanics being total nothing burgers.

You are allowed to like something and accept it has flaws, you are allowed to admit you like flawed things.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    It's true, films and games are different. But no, a game does not become unplayable by dipping below 30 fps; 24fps was picked by the film industry because it's all your brain needs to be able to perceive motion. It's more than good enough for games, and the rest is just gravy. You've probably become used to very high frame rates, but I think a lot of the issues here are entirely in people's heads. For example, a huge number of games on last gen consoles are/were framerate locked at 30 fps, and the complaints were "I'd like to have more frames if they're available," not, "This game is unplayable because it has so few frames."
    This is not true. 24 fps was chosen by the film industry as a compromise between what looked the best and the financial cost of buying film stock. When films were first being made they were filmed and screened anywhere between like 12 and 25+ fps and things looked janky to the viewers. Later tv shows were mainly shot in 30 fps as that is the ideal viewing rate for perceiving motion. Filmmakers these days keep to the 24 fps standard as it gives viewers that "cinema" quality of their films that generations have gotten used to for decades of viewing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I actually don't understand the motivation behind these glib posts (I'm not jumping on you specifically you see them like every 4 pages). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story and the gunplay and hacking were fine but are you honestly saying you can't see the obvious glaring flaws or do you just not care?

Like:
    The driving AI, not being AI so any obstruction or deviation just stops the cars moving;
    The wanted AI just spawning police on top of you who give up if you move 300m up the road;
    The NPCs having one canned line and action even if it's inappropriate for the context (like the video of the guy who goes up to an npc comforting someone and she talks about the weather);
    The lack of a torch;
    No barbers; or
    No car customization (why can you buy every car in the game if you can't do anything with it).

Like that's not even getting into the subjective stuff like cyberware and the 'rpg' mechanics being total nothing burgers.

You are allowed to like something and accept it has flaws, you are allowed to admit you like flawed things.
    Its when people just say "Objectively bad" which isn't the case. And in the case of car customization, they never really claimed it would be a thing. The AI doesn't really bother me outside of well kneeling down scared(If they ran it would be far better). Also people seem to love using absolute statements like "Its garbage" "Garbage game" etc etc.

TLDR: We're taking the game as is not what it could of been.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Its when people just say "Objectively bad" which isn't the case. And in the case of car customization, they never really claimed it would be a thing. The AI doesn't really bother me outside of well kneeling down scared(If they ran it would be far better). Also people seem to love using absolute statements like "Its garbage" "Garbage game" etc etc.

TLDR: We're taking the game as is not what it could of been.
    Do you have a defence of the driving ai? Is there anything objectively good about it? What about the wanted system? Do you even find anything subjectively good about them?

How does it not bother you that if you ditch your car for a gig or side quest when you come back there will be four cars just sitting there behind it? This is something gta could do 19 years ago.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

Like:
    The lack of a torch;
    No barbers; or

Oh, I'm allowed to like this game? Thx.

To be more serious, from this game I expected great story, atmosphere (was only Blade Runner fan, but I tell you - people I know who were into CP 2020 REALLY love this game), visuals, music and quests. Was prepared for mediocre shooting, driving and stuff I didn't like in Witcher. Got all this + really enjoy shooting. Oh, and I had so far almost 0 bugs, that's count too (played ~25 hours and I'm taking break until next month cause I'm away from my PC for Christmas). Shame that PS4/Xbox players got screwed by CDPR, really shame.

About more customization, it makes no difference to me - cool if they introduce more, but don't give a shit. Overall from your list only AI issues are minus from me. But I never said game doesn't have flaws. My response was for dude that straight up said Cyberpunk is shitty game like he was speaking for everybody. Sometimes is good to break circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I'm not shilling for shit and I haven't been hopping to their defense. I'm saying idiots trying to run __any__ new big bleeding edge game on one generation old console is an idiot.
    Then it should not have been released on those consoles.
    If a company releases a product and states it is compatible with your current hardware...it should be compatible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Actually, I argue that it is. Especially with the PS5 so hard to get. If Cyberpunk got the game to work on PS4 Pro, they were absolutely right in releasing it for PS4. That means base PS4 users like myself might end up with a broken game, but since there is no such thing as a PS4 Pro exclusive, there is no reason why Pro owners shouldn't get to play a game just because the base version can't cut it. If anyone is to blame it would be Sony and Microsoft for not allowing developers to create games exclusive to their upgraded consoles. The fact that people complain about base console Cyberpunk is no different than people complaining they can't play the game on an underpowered PC. It isn't CDProjekt's fault for creating it in the first place.
    No, its still not an excuse. And that's why CD Projekt Red is giving out refunds.

It is their fault for releasing a version of the game that is nearly unplayable without giving any indication that was the case. They understand this...hence the refunds.

Once again, Penny Arcade sums it up:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/po...14/cyberpunk-2

Something I have no use for is motherfuckers offering up their trenchant fucking takes on what's clearly not cooked all the way through, even on PC. You don't need to go on Reddit or some shit and try to run defense - you can listen to CD Projekt RED themselves, offering refunds directly. You look like a fucking tool. Just so we're clear: that's definitions 3a and 3b.

Like:
    The lack of a torch;
    No barbers; or

Of course it has flaws, and the point of the "glib" posts is the same as the numerous shitposts about how it's the worst game in history - to share opinion.

This makes zero difference to me. They decided to make the game so anything not nailed down reloads when you get far enough away, so it rarely ever comes up. That cars are stacked up behind my car is their problem, not mine. All traffic needs to do is feel more or less real when I'm driving through it and it does. Every game has elements of abstraction and developers pick different things to focus on. It's not a driving game, the amount of effort they put into that system seems very reasonable.

It's almost like it's a game. Could a more fleshed out system be more fun? Sure, absolutely, but the game is on the rails in many ways and this is one. You're ostensibly a police contractor so they don't really let you meaningfully violate the law. If you expected to have to hire a good lawyer, show up in court, and serve a prison sentence for your infractions, I guess I can see why the game is disappointing...

Sometimes this is buggy as hell and it sucks, it would be more fun if the dialogue system were more fleshed out and it sounds like they promised it would be and failed to deliver.

If I want to wear a helmet irl I can't toggle it to be invisible, maybe this was an element where they decided against abstraction. It's just a choice and it's not that big of a deal. Personally I gear my character around looks balanced against utility, finding the sweet spot between the two means I have to make difficult choices sometimes, which I enjoy doing in games.

The lack of a torch;
    No barbers; or

Clearly choices they made but I agree, it feels like it's missing.

Car customization for me is: go get a different car. Why is this important? why would they allocate resources to a deep vehicle customization system when they were implementing so many other game systems, many of which people already feel weren't deep enough as it is. What should be taken out so car customization goes in?

No game does everything that the detractors of this one want it to do. All games have to make tradeoffs between abstraction and realism, between what the designers are trying to accomplish and what "nice to haves" the players want. Here's one I have that you didn't mention - I hate that when you stealthily take someone down mid-conversation, their buddy doesn't notice. It's not a perfect game, if someone doesn't like it that's totally fair, it just seems like a lot of the complaints for this game are stupid nitpicky bullshit. Comes across as an entitlement issue, but I realize at least some of it is caused by the developers promising that the game would give you a puppy and a kiss on the forehead every night before bed.