10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Not to mention we have to convince a decent chunk to even get vaccinated since they think Bill Gates is trying to chip them via the vaccination.
    WTF :O
    Really? People believe that kind of tin-foil hat nonsense?

I don't think we even have the technology available, even if the "higher ups" would want to tag us that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention we have to convince a decent chunk to even get vaccinated since they think Bill Gates is trying to chip them via the vaccination.
    The funny part is the ones who believe that aren't worth microchipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    WTF :O
    Really? People believe that kind of tin-foil hat nonsense?
    100%, as they carry around their GPS enabled phones, worried about the government "giving them a number" despite them being given a social security number, because the government really has an interest in the lives of every random person out there.

You know, because the government, that these people say is incompetent, has the competence to pull off such a grand conspiracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You know, because the government, that these people say is incompetent, has the competence to pull off such a grand conspiracy.
    Haha, yeah that's the best part of it.

People believe 5G is causing Covid... yes, people are that fucking stupid.
    Cell phone signals. Wifi. 3G. 4G/LTE. 5G. Any "invisible wave" they can't see causes cancer/covid/aids/whatever you want to these nutters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cell phone signals. Wifi. 3G. 4G/LTE. 5G. Any "invisible wave" they can't see causes cancer
    Well it depends on the intensity. Radiation can have serious side effects.

While radiation emitted by mobile communication equipment is generally designed to stay below threshold limits of safety, few people know what these limits are and how far we are below them.

10+ Year Old Account

While radiation emitted by mobile communication equipment is generally designed to stay below threshold limits of safety, few people know what these limits are and how far we are below them.
    What? What sort of generator do you think your phone contains?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

There are some unknowns in terms of very long term exposure (i.e. a lifetime), but that doesn't mean they cause cancer/aids/covid/lupus/leprosy or whatever other nonsense they claim. There's little evidence to suggest it, especially the way they present it as an IMMEDIATE THREAT that will instantly cause all those problems. These people don't know any of the underlying science or information, they're just irrationally panicking at the thought of invisible waves.

Much as folks once did with radio waves and other forms of communication before that. Or hell, fuckin electricity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    What? What sort of generator do you think your phone contains?

What else could it be?

- - - Updated - - -

There are some unknowns in terms of very long term exposure (i.e. a lifetime), but that doesn't mean they cause cancer/aids/covid/lupus/leprosy or whatever other nonsense they claim.
    Well obviously radiation does not cause a viral infection. That's complete nonsense. But as you say: there are unknowns regarding life long exposure.
    Does it increase the risk of cancer to a significant degree? We simply don't have the data yet.

I mean it wouldn't be the first time that something was thought to be safe, that later turned out not to be as knowledge progressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    What else could it be?
    No, you need to explain what you mean. What sort of generator do you think your phone contains, to cause any effect on you from Non-ionizing radiation?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean it wouldn't be the first time that something was thought to be safe, that later turned out not to be as knowledge progressed.
    Just so we are clear... Is it less or more dangerous than posting on a forum?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you need to explain what you mean. What sort of generator do you think your phone contains, to cause any effect on you from Non-ionizing radiation?
    I remember studies finding that the tissue around the ear increase in temperature when people hold their phones to the ear to talk for long periods.
    At the time, it was debated whether that could have any negative effect in long term use.

Since I rarely use these devices, I have not followed that research though. It's a non issue for me personally.

- - - Updated - - -

Just so we are clear... Is it less or more dangerous than posting on a forum?
    Depends on how thoroughly you antagonize the trolls.

Eh, to be fair it isn't feasible for many people to not have a phone even if they wanted to. Just to play devil's advocate.

I'd go as far as to suggest that a connection to the internet should be considered a necessary utility in the same vein as water and electricity. Insofar as ensuring that people are able to participate in society/have access to some sort of social life even if it's entirely online.

I see Macron has caught it now.

And the King of Sweden has come out and said what was obvious to anyone, that their strategy has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I see Macron has caught it now.
    Is he in any of the at risk groups?

Assuming he actually has it, he'll probably be fine - especially since he has ready access to some of the world's best healthcare.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember studies finding that the tissue around the ear increase in temperature when people hold their phones to the ear to talk for long periods.
    Not due to the phone’s non-ionizing radiation... part of the phone being held to your ear, generates radiation?

At the time, it was debated whether that could have any negative effect in long term use.
    Heat is a sign of radiation... your phone is incapable of the sort of power needed for non-ionizing radiation to cause heat.

Since I rarely use these devices, I have not followed that research though. It's a non issue for me personally.
    Then say you don’t know, instead of spreading misinformation.

Depends on how thoroughly you antagonize the trolls.
    Can you please not do that in the covid thread? We have enough misinformation, without moving to new subjects.

Can you please not do that in the covid thread? We have enough misinformation, without moving to new subjects.
    Is English not your first language? It feels like you take a lot of responses quite literally when they're kinda joking about edge cases. Like Tylenol is very dangerous when taken outside of its normal usage, but we don't think someone is being disingenuous when they mention it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Is English not your first language? It feels like you take a lot of responses quite literally when they're kinda joking about edge cases. Like Tylenol is very dangerous when taken outside of its normal usage, but we don't think someone is being disingenuous when they mention it.
    Yes, translate the joke:

You forgot the joker meme...

10+ Year Old Account

Light is more dangerous than anything coming out of a cellphone.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Then say you don’t know, instead of spreading misinformation.
    You are starting to annoy me.

What on earth can you not understand here:
    It is quite clear that I am talking about radiation in a general sense and already exclude radiation of mobile equipment as a potential source of a problem. BTW: I wasn't only referring to the phones themselves, but also the associated infrastructure that makes up our mobile communication networks. Generally, people are more afraid of these than the little devices we hold in our hands.

Instead of being all passive aggressive and acting all high and mighty, might I suggest you actually read and understand what was written?

My actual argument was, that radiation is a poorly understood subject by the general population, hence the rampant myths around the subject and the readiness to attribute all kinds of negative side effects to it, whether it is the actual culprit or not.

So and now lets get back to the topic at hand, shall we?
    Last edited by Granyala; 2020-12-18 at 05:06 AM.

Vaccination D-Day netherlands: the 8th of janaury, with only 3 places (I bet it will be all over Amsterdam, Rotterdam en Den Hague, because fuck the rest of the country)... its running after things once again. What a failure of a goverment it has. Its government lost my remaining respect.