Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can see a LoL MMORPG working just fine, and it would be quite similar to Warcraft aesthetically. Off the top of my head...

Demacia, the kingdom that stands for unity, honor, courage, virtue, etc. Its national colour is blue, like the Alliance.
    Noxus, the ruthless and militaristic empire that seeks to conquer everything. Its national colour is red, like the Horde.
    The Void, a force of infinite hunger that seeks to invade the mortal realm, its creatures are divine and elusive, like the Void Lords and the Old Gods.
    And, huh, a certain place called "Targon" (is that the right name?) which reminds me of the Titans.

Obviously I am not saying WoW invented these things, Blizzard was inspired too (I know that both the Old Gods and the Void are inspired by Lovecraft ), still aesthetically these two worlds are not too different.

Remember the time when League of Legends was the refugee place to WoW players?

I member.
    This is a dream come true to me

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Uh, hmph.

Does anyone actually care about the LoL setting and lore? Because it seems to me that people care about the characters. Why not make an RPG where you play as the characters people loved?

I mean, Blizzard did go from Warcraft 3 to WoW, so there is a precedent for going from a series of games that people loved the characters for, to a MMO that takes that setting and you explore it with your own character but it's not really about the characters you loved from WC3 (well, not until Cata when WoW became character centric again), but at least the WC3 setting was somewhat interesting. But LoL's?

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe it will be like Genshin where it's an MMO but you don't really play as your own character, but instead the canon characters.
    i cared about LoL lore until they decided to recton everything by starting it over 10 years after the game released.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    This is such a tired excuse in defense for expensive "micro"-transactions. Everyone wants to look cool while they play a game, it's why cosmetic "micro"-transactions from lootboxes/outright purchases are such an issue. Sure they are cosmetic, but they are built upon exploiting you psychologically on fear of missing out and other means such as peer pressure from younger audiences (yes I have listened with my own ears to a kid being ridiculed because of his skins in Fortnight), it's why some/most gaming companies hire people in those fields. "But you don't need micro-transactions" is a phrase often uttered by people already addicted.
    And there's still skins available for F2P players. You need to grasp that a F2P game needs to incentivize people to actually spend money on the game, whether it's to get it faster or get something prettier.

Sadly it will most likely not be a WoW replacement. They're not stupid enough to go against WoW.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm interested because Ghostcrawler and Riot makes quality games but I'm assuming they'll rip off WoW with a huge emphasis on e-sports so lots of PvP built in... and F2P with microtransactions because Riot of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I can see a LoL MMORPG working just fine, and it would be quite similar to Warcraft aesthetically. Off the top of my head...

Demacia, the kingdom that stands for unity, honor, courage, virtue, etc. Its national colour is blue, like the Alliance.
    Noxus, the ruthless and militaristic empire that seeks to conquer everything. Its national colour is red, like the Horde.
    The Void, a force of infinite hunger that seeks to invade the mortal realm, its creatures are divine and elusive, like the Void Lords and the Old Gods.
    And, huh, a certain place called "Targon" (is that the right name?) which reminds me of the Titans.

Obviously I am not saying WoW invented these things, Blizzard was inspired too (I know that both the Old Gods and the Void are inspired by Lovecraft ), still aesthetically these two worlds are not too different.
    I mean early lol was a Dota lift, which obviously used WCIII assets, the baseline similarities are kinda baked into its DNA. That said blue/white/gold being calm and orderly. Black, spikes and red being aggressive and the 'void' are kinda universal fantasy themes.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Radisss View Post
    A glance at the gameplay video would quickly reveal that it is
    Oops. I see it now. Like a Final Fantasy clone with the move the party on the world map and combat FF style.
    Add in the "I get to play someone else's character's not my own" part to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    I think they should try mmo lite or an offline rpg first... Like final fantasy 12 was clearly a prototype for an mmo lol.
    You got that backwards. FFXII was FFXI offline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    This would explain why I been seeing so much of this person (Ghostcrawler) past couple of months. I get it now. I thought maybe he genuinely missed WoW and being apart of the community or something. He was preying and potentially poaching instead...silly me, should've known something was up.

Well it doesn't go into detail what type of MMO it is. This very much matters. A lot of people mentioned enjoying WildStar around here and enjoying it. I never battered an eye to look at it. So what type of MMO would be extremely important to me. Let's see what they come up with. Maybe they are wanting to do something completely unique. All I know is some MMO's seem to take forever to come out. (Ashes of creation for example. Or the Amazon one..) I guess that really depends on the company tho.
    He was clearly evaluating what the competition is doing. That is important research when crafting a new experience.
    The last time someone tried to go in blind, FFXIV vanilla release happened.

I don't play or know anything about LoL, bit i look forward to seeing what they deliver.

my first thought was that this kinda sounds like what Corepunk is doing. they got them mmorpg bits and they've taken some of that moba stuff and are now trying to build something with that.

but maybe they'll just try to do some kind of world of legends instead. i mean mmo devs seem to only want to make their dream version of the shitty ass game we've all been playing for decades instead of something different.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    If anyone can challenge WoW and FF14 then surely it should be Riot Games out of all the companies. They have years of lore now and a shit ton of known characters.
    WoW is on a whole different level then any MMORPG.
    Not only that, They have 1 popular MOBA game, setting in a MMORPG universe will just mean like HOTS ment for WoW. It's gonna flop hard.
    They gotta come with new stuff not genres that are known to be dead or only a few remaining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Damn I don't like RIOT.
    And I don't like the communities RIOT games have.
    But I have to admit they are the best in taking something that exists, improving it and creating new awesome games.
    Lol not really. They will never beat WoW, Not with someone like ghostcrawler even with em. (Remembers Cataclysm, worst MMORPG expansion of wow next to WoD)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    He says it's an MMO.

He didn't say it is an MMORPG.
    Good point, but I doubt it is likely to be anything other than an MMORPG considering who it is coming from (GC) and the company started with multiplayer games. It is following the pattern of Blizzard in terms of a publisher/developer branching out into different genres before jumping into MMORPGs.

I think this might bode well for it since most of the MMORPGs that I've seen shut down over the years tended to be the first title for the company, while Riot on the other hand has multiple revenue streams. If it is an MMORPG I'm hopeful it won't suffer the fate of Wildstar, CoH, and other MMORPGs that have died out.

I hope it is well designed and fun, I like it when more good games exist instead of more shitty games (I don't want to see another battle royale developed, ever again).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    WoW is on a whole different level then any MMORPG.
    Not only that, They have 1 popular MOBA game, setting in a MMORPG universe will just mean like HOTS ment for WoW. It's gonna flop hard.
    They gotta come with new stuff not genres that are known to be dead or only a few remaining.
    LoL is more popular than god
    Wild rift will likely print money
    Valorant is consistently a top 10 on twitch
    Autobattlers came and went but TFT is the only one still semi alive
    LoR was a bit of a flop but digital CCGs are just trending down

Lol is obviously still the main earner but their attempts at diversification haven't all met with abject failure. Of course, that doesn't necessarily make an MMO the play.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Damn I don't like RIOT.
    And I don't like the communities RIOT games have.
    But I have to admit they are the best in taking something that exists, improving it and creating new awesome games.
    This quote was once Blizzard's MO - "Gather existing good ideas, polish them as much as possible". I find that funny.
    After Valorant dropped and was pretty much "Counter Strike but abilities", I am very reserved towards anything Riot's planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    You got that backwards. FFXII was FFXI offline.

- - - Updated - - -

He was clearly evaluating what the competition is doing. That is important research when crafting a new experience.
    The last time someone tried to go in blind, FFXIV vanilla release happened.

I don't play or know anything about LoL, bit i look forward to seeing what they deliver.
    Final fantasy 12 was offline...
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

I welcome any new MMO to stir up competition and potentially find something to get me finally leave wow behind forever.

However I doubt it will come from riot.

Lol was meh but I dislike all mobas.
    Valorant was just overwatch, felt like a baby-shooter for someone who grew up and still casually plays CS, exactly same as with overwatch. Something I would maybe gift for nephew as first shooter, if I had one. (All online games got toxic communities now and kids better learn people are shit early)

However they deserve praise for their e-sports, videos/that music collab and brand.
    Working customer support really has made me support genocides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    LoL is more popular than god
    Wild rift will likely print money
    Valorant is consistently a top 10 on twitch
    Autobattlers came and went but TFT is the only one still semi alive
    LoR was a bit of a flop but digital CCGs are just trending down

Lol is obviously still the main earner but their attempts at diversification haven't all met with abject failure. Of course, that doesn't necessarily make an MMO the play.
    LoL is more popular then god? Wait what now? Don't overreact please. LoL hasn't really been that popular anymore as it used to be. (No longer #1 in alot of websites, lets give example twitch) WoW is defeating em on a daily basis again, shows that they are obvious no longer the game it once was.

Not only that LoL is a popular moba, thats it. It's not it will dominate the MMO market because it's LoL.
    WoW is dominating the MMORPG market for 16 years now and that won't ever change. Just like LoL dominates the MOBA market.

But they obvious doing this because their MOBA is losing active players. Ofc not anything crucial since they got millions of players.
    But so does WoW.

Main earner, WoW also earns 1B a year, it's just all big shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    LoL is more popular then god? Wait what now? Don't overreact please. LoL hasn't really been that popular anymore as it used to be. (No longer #1 in alot of websites, lets give example twitch) WoW is defeating em on a daily basis again, shows that they are obvious no longer the game it once was.

Not only that LoL is a popular moba, thats it. It's not it will dominate the MMO market because it's LoL.
    WoW is dominating the MMORPG market for 16 years now and that won't ever change. Just like LoL dominates the MOBA market.

But they obvious doing this because their MOBA is losing active players. Ofc not anything crucial since they got millions of players.
    But so does WoW.

Main earner, WoW also earns 1B a year, it's just all big shots.
    https://www.superdataresearch.com/bl...l-games-market

That appears to be including expansion numbers, but LoL is routinely in the top 5 on PC revenue on Superdata, and routinely ahead of WoW's western numbers.

To boot, they were also a $1B+ company in 2019 - https://www.millenium.gg/news/10506.html

They've fallen from their throne when LoL was literally everywhere, but it remains immensely popular and profitable. WoW, by comparison, has the benefit of having just launched an expansion so it's riding a huge wave of publicity off the back of that (and huge revenue from expansion sales), so comparing WoW at an expansion launch to LoL during a normal release period isn't exactly a 1:1 comparison.

They're expanding more overall because they're a company that had a single game, and basing your revenue stream on a single product, even a juggernaut like LoL, is a bad move. That's why we see the card game, a shooter (that's apparently doing very well), the turn-based RPG in development, the fighting game in development, a MMO just starting production (that they'd talked about before), a mobile version of LoL in moba form etc.

Blizzard is still an absolute juggernaut, and likely worth much more than Riot overall, but Riot's quickly catching up in terms of having a library of games across multiple platforms/genres that stand to provide either short-term revenue (non online/F2P games like the turn based RPG coming up, and potentially the fighting game) or longer term revenue (LoL mobile, TFT, Valorant, their MMO etc.). Considering they're a few decades behind Blizzard in terms of age, the fact that they're in the position they are right now is a pretty huge win for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.superdataresearch.com/bl...l-games-market

That appears to be including expansion numbers, but LoL is routinely in the top 5 on PC revenue on Superdata, and routinely ahead of WoW's western numbers.

To boot, they were also a $1B+ company in 2019 - https://www.millenium.gg/news/10506.html

They've fallen from their throne when LoL was literally everywhere, but it remains immensely popular and profitable. WoW, by comparison, has the benefit of having just launched an expansion so it's riding a huge wave of publicity off the back of that (and huge revenue from expansion sales), so comparing WoW at an expansion launch to LoL during a normal release period isn't exactly a 1:1 comparison.

They're expanding more overall because they're a company that had a single game, and basing your revenue stream on a single product, even a juggernaut like LoL, is a bad move. That's why we see the card game, a shooter (that's apparently doing very well), the turn-based RPG in development, the fighting game in development, a MMO just starting production (that they'd talked about before), a mobile version of LoL in moba form etc.

Blizzard is still an absolute juggernaut, and likely worth much more than Riot overall, but Riot's quickly catching up in terms of having a library of games across multiple platforms/genres that stand to provide either short-term revenue (non online/F2P games like the turn based RPG coming up, and potentially the fighting game) or longer term revenue (LoL mobile, TFT, Valorant, their MMO etc.). Considering they're a few decades behind Blizzard in terms of age, the fact that they're in the position they are right now is a pretty huge win for them.
    This chart just shows that WoW is still so strong it can dominate #1 profitable game of PC, which is fucking insane since i assumed LoL took spot always.
    So i guess LoL is not doing as great as it used to be, let us be honest here. It used to be #1 in anything, and now its slowly fading even though they have still millions of users, nobody ever talks about em.

I do think they wont ever hit near WoW levels of players with their MMO.

Edit: Also shows that LoL is slowly going downhill as it is no longer the #1, Look at how LoL dethroned WoW back in what? 2011?
    Fortnite now dethroning LoL.

Cycle continues
    Last edited by Gimlix; 2020-12-19 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    does riot know an mmo won't work with spaghetti code?
    WoW is the living proof against this statement.