Page 7 of 118 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I hated Vaan, though mostly because of the executive meddling surrounding him. Basch was meant to be the main character originally. I like my JRPG's with nuance and intrigue, though - so all of the 'Ivalice' games are among my favourites.

I liked IX a lot too. The art and music style were quite whimsical but the game's plot was surprisingly dark at times.
    9 was my favorite final fantasy game. The story was fun, but like you said, dark. The combat was great and engaging. And the final disc with boss battle after boss battle all requiring different abilities to win was *chefs kiss*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    I liked Vaan. I disliked 12 in general though. Though, I loved 13, 13-2, and Lightning Returns so I know my opinion isn't worth much :P
    12...been a long while. I remember liking it ok....except the summoning spell system or whatever. Those summons I remember massively outpowering everything else you could do and I'm like....I'm kinda bored now, please stop putting I win buttons into my games like that. Or if you do put them in, make them more interesting like the summons in FFX that you actually controlled as if they were a party member.

I played a couple hours of 13. It just did not do it for me. Maybe I should give it another chance, but I don't wanna. I distinctly remember hating how they had an auto battle function that would automatically choose the best course of action faster than you could realistically do manually, and had rewards for finishing battles quickly as possible which punished you for choosing to do things manually. I suspect the auto battle system would have been less viable later, but fuck me I want to play a game and not be punished for not having the game play itself for me.

i played the old 8bit final fantasy and thats about it super nes or sumthin i forget

Quote Originally Posted by Robozerim View Post
    12...been a long while. I remember liking it ok....except the summoning spell system or whatever. Those summons I remember massively outpowering everything else you could do and I'm like....I'm kinda bored now, please stop putting I win buttons into my games like that. Or if you do put them in, make them more interesting like the summons in FFX that you actually controlled as if they were a party member.

I played a couple hours of 13. It just did not do it for me. Maybe I should give it another chance, but I don't wanna. I distinctly remember hating how they had an auto battle function that would automatically choose the best course of action faster than you could realistically do manually, and had rewards for finishing battles quickly as possible which punished you for choosing to do things manually. I suspect the auto battle system would have been less viable later, but fuck me I want to play a game and not be punished for not having the game play itself for me.
    Nope. It was designed around auto battle. You literally cannot input commands fast enough. The player input in that game was knowing when to swap paradigms and if you had to do a specific ability cast for a boss.

You literally auto-battle the entire game. It took me awhile to get used to, but I found the paradigm system fun trying to figure out which set worked best for that boss and swapping based on what boss was doing.

3+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to believe that FFX first came out...eighteen years ago.
    I think I was two or three when it came out
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I think I was two or three when it came out
    Well I feel old. And I'm not even that old.

I hated Vaan, though mostly because of the executive meddling surrounding him. Basch was meant to be the main character originally. I like my JRPG's with nuance and intrigue, though - so all of the 'Ivalice' games are among my favourites.
    The "Basch was supposed to be the main character but Vaan had more mass appeal" is a rumor, a bastardization of the truth that caught traction in the West because it confirmed fan biases.

The truth is that Vaan always was the main character of FFXII since the beginning. His motion capture actor and his voice actor were the first names announced for the FFXII project in 2003. Basch was the last character to be announced.

That being said, Basch being "the main character" - as in having the game start from the PoV of an older soldier, not Vaan, and him having the most screentime and story focus, would have appealed to me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawsout View Post
    I started out horde with a bunch of irl friends and every1 but myself stopped playing along time ago so i kinda just flipped and continue to flip for story i used to play horde on illidan now i just play ally on a small rp server like the filthy casual i am
    I'm with you on filthy casual. Un-guilded and I literally just finished the main storyline and joined my covenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Robozerim View Post
    You were actually supposed to be able to control the summons in 12, but they had to turn that system off before the game's initial release because they didn't have enough time to debug them by running around all the maps as the Espers. They did that for the International release, and they are in the Zodiac Age rerelease.

I honestly never found the Espers to be that powerful. I think you can deal more DPS with a proper team setup. Same thing with the Aeons in FFX.

The best use I found for Aeons and Espers in X and XII was to soak damage for the whole team, since when you summon all of your other party members leave the battlefield.

3+ Year Old Account
    I play on a 70% Alliance RP server and I'm Horde. It's also a 'full' one too lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. It was designed around auto battle. You literally cannot input commands fast enough. The player input in that game was knowing when to swap paradigms and if you had to do a specific ability cast for a boss.

You literally auto-battle the entire game. It took me awhile to get used to, but I found the paradigm system fun trying to figure out which set worked best for that boss and swapping based on what boss was doing.
    That is a terrible design. I want to actually play my Final Fantasy game, and think that is literally the worst design choice they could have made in regards to their combat system. It is complete and total garbage. You have confirmed for me that I will never play 13.

I like getting all the Celestial weapons in FFX. Possibly one of the most enjoyable "get the strongest weapons" minigame ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    unvote vote Robo

obv an agent of wool

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

I'm with you on filthy casual. Un-guilded and I literally just finished the main storyline and joined my covenant.
    i play a feral druid so every1 hates me LOL

I like getting all the Celestial weapons in FFX. Possibly one of the most enjoyable "get the strongest weapons" minigame ever.
    *Vietnam flashbacks to dodging lightning bolts and losing at blitzball*

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    *Vietnam flashbacks to dodging lightning bolts and losing at blitzball*
    There is a glitched area for thunderbolts that makes it simple. By one of the towers there is a small crater. As soon as Tidus hits the top of the crater the screen flashes without fail. So you can press x perfectly.

I loved Blitzball so much and spent 100s of hours doing it. But that fucking butterfly minigame was not something I ever want to repeat, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clawsout View Post
    i play a feral druid so every1 hates me LOL

its not that complicated players just over complicate and rather range even tho feral is fine its not the greatest but its not the worst

- - - Updated - - -

anyways im gunna head to bread ill look into more fluff tomorrow hopefully sum lurkers come on ere

Unvote: Crackle

3+ Year Old Account
    I play Shadow Priest, and it feels kind of clunky, but otherwise ok

Oh, and

FoS Virothe

Where is he lol

10+ Year Old Account
    unvote vote Bwon

obv an agent of da spirits

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

3+ Year Old Account
    Oh Gods oh f-

grabs Rastakhan's soul and leaves

I think that was supposed to be on another line ?