Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Changing Professions, do you lose all ur farmed formules?

Just a question, if i switch from Inscription to lets say mining and want to ever return to inscription, do i have to farm it all again?
    Because i got 10 years of formules into inscription and if thats the case swapping profs, is kinda not smart? Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Right?
    Right.

How is this news to you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Right.

How is this news to you?
    Hence me asking if they are gone or return if you swap back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

your legion stuff will be safe

everything else...yeah SOL

Hence me asking if they are gone or return if you swap back.
    And again, how can this be news to you? It even says so when you click on the Unlearn This Profession button, Mining in this case:

Can't be much clearer than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a question, if i switch from Inscription to lets say mining and want to ever return to inscription, do i have to farm it all again?
    Because i got 10 years of formules into inscription and if thats the case swapping profs, is kinda not smart? Right?
    Yes, you will have to reacquire all your formulas.

- - - Updated - - -

And again, how can this be news to you? It even says so when you click on the Unlearn This Profession button, Mining in this case:

^^^ I concur with this assessment. Cant be any clearer than the picture.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Why can't people just answer a question without being jerks about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    your legion stuff will be safe

everything else...yeah SOL
    This pretty much. And Legion recipe recovery only exists because those recipes are mostly quest rewards.

Yeah, and it kinda sucks tbh. I have a lot of characters with unobtainable recipes but I don't want the professions on them anymore. Holding out for some kind of solution where if you swap back to a different profession you start back off where you were. There would have to be some trade off obviously.

It's dumb we can't have all the gathering professions and one or two main professions.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Yeah, and it kinda sucks tbh. I have a lot of characters with unobtainable recipes but I don't want the professions on them anymore. Holding out for some kind of solution where if you swap back to a different profession you start back off where you were. There would have to be some trade off obviously.
    The character boost should get a second function that works on existing characters, a class change. A class change option would effectively allow you to move professions to other classes. They keep handing out these boosts with deluxe editions, but I have one of every class and don't need to create new toons (I buy them for the mounts). This would make them useful for people like me, while also allowing us to keep old recipes on new class/profession combos.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    Cause people need to learn to google stuff instead of asking on a forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    It's dumb we can't have all the gathering professions and one or two main professions.
    Or just let us do everything, like in FFXIV.
    Here is something to believe in!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    while i agree with your general sentiment, it's also apparent the OP doesn't have the best reading comprehension when it states the answer to his question very clearly in the option box to unlearn a profession, making his question and by extension this post a waste of time/bandwidth, which is what leads people to answer these types of questions with disdain, hope that answers your own question.

Depends on the expansion. More recent ones like Legion seem to have "Ye Olde Book Of Forgotten Recipes" that you can use to get those back but generally no. this is what alts are for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    Or just let us do everything, like in FFXIV.
    How about no and we have some form of choice and consequences for said choice ? Player entitlement is getting worse all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    while i agree with your general sentiment, it's also apparent the OP doesn't have the best reading comprehension when it states the answer to his question very clearly in the option box to unlearn a profession, making his question and by extension this post a waste of time/bandwidth, which is what leads people to answer these types of questions with disdain, hope that answers your own question.
    He asked a simple question. And how do you know he even saw that option box as it doesn't come up unless you actually click to unlearn? You are aware that people are making making their decision before ever clicking to unlearn right? That means he likely never saw that box. So,his question isn't a waste of time but you did make an assumption that was ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    How about no and we have some form of choice and consequences for said choice ? Player entitlement is getting worse all the time.

It actually works fine in FF14, and FF14's decision to allow players to access every profession isn't based on player entitlement. It's just good, fun design.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post
    It actually works fine in FF14, and FF14's decision to allow players to access every profession isn't based on player entitlement. It's just good, fun design.
    The way WoW does it is fine. Your request is completely based on player entitlement.

- - - Updated - - -

But you are assuming he clicked on unlearn. You fail to consider that he is still deciding whether he wants to unlearn or not and likely hasn't clicked unlearn yet. Things aren't as clear as you are assuming them to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    ^^^ I concur with this assessment. Cant be any clearer than the picture.
    But what if OP never clicked on unlearn before? How is he going to see that? You are concurring with an assesment that is completely based on an assumption that the unlearn box was clicked.Not real clear if you never clicked on unlearn and never actually saw that box, huh?

Yeah, getting rid of mining the other day was a tough choice after using it for the past 10 years. I don't mind losing recipes from the current expansion, but it really sucks that if I ever decide to pick mining back up I will have lost 10 years worth of recipes. There should be some sort of middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I dunno man, that still seems extremely rude when someone could just as well ignore it. Like... what's with this self vindication of pointing and laughing at someone to try and feel better than them while also putting them down?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Cause people need to learn to google stuff instead of asking on a forum.
    Why though? (Personally, I'd think it'd be better if he were actually asking in game, but whatever) Even lazy player engagement is something for this game's community, IMHO, which is increasingly more and more offputting and isolationist.