10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Not sure I want any quote from Ryan Leaf who continues to fuck it up in his 40s. Wasn't he arrested for a domestic thing in May? It had looked like he finally turned things around a year or two ago, but nope.
    All reasons why when Leaf looks at someone and says "it's like looking in a mirror!" that its a very bad thing.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    All reasons why when Leaf looks at someone and says "it's like looking in a mirror!" that its a very bad thing.
    Yeah except he never grew up. Haskins? Well time will tell, but Leaf shouldn't even really be given a platform, he's burned his chances over and over imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also found it kinda odd that NFL network employs Chad Johnson. A guy that was cut at the end of his career due to a domestic battery charge. Though it was before Ray Rice, so nobody cared.

10+ Year Old Account
    A platform? Its twitter, they even let deadbeats like Trump use it.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Apparently shanahan has a history of praising cousins and the Vikings trading or him leaving with 1 year left isn’t that unreasonable.

https://www.nfl.com/news/debrief-pre...2021-qb-market
    I can only hope. His contract is a lead weight that is sinking the team. They already can't afford a to bring in the pieces they need and, with the expected reduction in salary cap, they're going to have to cut even more people just because they let Cousins get away with robbery.

Considering networks hire Ray Lewis, Cris Carter and Michael Irvin, Chad Johnson having a job isn't really surprising.

A platform? Its twitter, they even let deadbeats like Trump use it.
    The best one is OJ Simpson. Not only do they let him use it, but he posts videos....

15+ Year Old Account
    Has anoher first round qb faded into obscurity as quickly as Rosen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't there one that lasted like one season?

Oh wait, Rosen did that too.

It's amazing to me that he was so bad that he isn't even considered one of the biggest busts of all time.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Lions are going to be missing a bunch of coaches. Their WR coach will be the HC, QB coach calling plays and a research and analysis person calling plays on defense... Probably still better than Patricia was.

Paxton Lynch was a 1st round QB. He has played in a total of 5 games, and only got 4 starts. I don't think he has even made a roster since being cut after his 2nd year.
    Last edited by Grube; 2020-12-24 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Wasn't there one that lasted like one season?

Oh wait, Rosen did that too.

It's amazing to me that he was so bad that he isn't even considered one of the biggest busts of all time.
    To this day, I genuinely believe that Rosen could have been a good QB had he gotten the time to develop. He got a raw deal, repeatedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its hard to say with Rosen since he never got a chance, look at how bad Alex Smith was as a rookie and he's still around, Brees took until his fourth season to break out. Maybe Rosen would have been bad under any circumstance, its just a shame not to know for sure.

Anyway, no shortage of 1st round QB busts, some because they're head cases like Haskins or Manziel, others because they weren't good enough or just got ground up by organizational change.

Others limped along being unremarkable for years, Trubisky is starting to look like the next Bradford, but better because he's at least been in a playoff game.
    Last edited by draynay; 2020-12-24 at 07:27 PM.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Part of the reason smith stuck around so long was niners being awful at getting qbs; the cardinals and dolphins weren’t exactly in a better place and still dumped him pretty quickly. You don’t think if he was a gem that someone, somewhere would’ve seen it and decided he was worth fostering? I think he was down to being a practice squad player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Part of the reason smith stuck around so long was niners being awful at getting qbs; the cardinals and dolphins weren’t exactly in a better place and still dumped him pretty quickly. You don’t think if he was a gem that someone, somewhere would’ve seen it and decided he was worth fostering? I think he was down to being a practice squad player.
    The Cardinals and Dolphins both drafted QBs the year after they got Rosen after just giving up on him. In higher spots too, with Murray going 1st, and Tua going 5th.

Rosen was on a historically bad team in Arizona. Under a coach who was fired after the season, and an OC who was fired mid-season. And yet, he still showed flashes.

In Miami, he was being coached by Brian Flores, who is 1) a defensive coach, and 2) a "culture" guy who loved the swagger of Fitzpatrick. He was never going to try and develop Rosen. He was going to let him sink or swim, and if he swam, great, if he sunk, whatever, they were supposed to be semi-tanking that year for Tua/Burrow anyways.

Honestly, I think calling Rosen a bad QB is worse than calling Sam Darnold a bad QB, mainly because we've seen so much of Sam Darnold (albeit always under new coaching/Adam Gase, the offensive moron who somehow has a reputation as a genius because of...Peyton Manning, I guess, as if Peyton wouldn't have been legendary without Gase).

Shanahan is the first good, offensive coach Rosen will have. I actually hope to see him play sometime these last few games, see if Shanahan can do anything with him. Maybe sitting on the PS behind Tom Brady has done Rosen some good. I can't believe that an immobile QB is just not viable in the league any more - it may be out of fashion, but it works in some places.

It's no coincidence that the two QBs who are seeing the most success out of that class (Josh Allen and Lamar) went to the more stable franchises willing to not only build around them, but scheme around them too. Josh Allen has become scheme-independent, and I was totally wrong about him, but my contention is any of the QBs who went to Buffalo that year would have been above average franchise QBs by now. I feel bad for Darnold and Rosen, tbh.

And for those who are like, "Allen worked on his mechanics with the genius Jordan Palmer (younger brother of Carson) in the offseason, he just wants it more..." Jordan Palmer also works with Sam Darnold, and can't fix the Jets offensive scheme. And I always kind of scoff at the idea that these guys, who have been competitive as fuck their whole lives, suddenly "want it less and thus fail." That's like, a postmodern capitalist take on QBs if I ever heard one - the ones who failed deserve it because they didn't work hard enough! Gimme a break. Rosen was dinged for being competitive to the point of being "arrogant" because his competitiveness was mixed with intelligence, which the NFL seems to hate.

Dan Snyder claims he's being extorted by a minority owner of the WFT to force him to sell the team:
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-football-team

Regardless of what happened, Dan Snyder is a terrible owner and a terrible human being, and it would be in the NFL's best interests to see him gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The Cardinals and Dolphins both drafted QBs the year after they got Rosen after just giving up on him. In higher spots too, with Murray going 1st, and Tua going 5th.

Rosen was on a historically bad team in Arizona. Under a coach who was fired after the season, and an OC who was fired mid-season. And yet, he still showed flashes.

In Miami, he was being coached by Brian Flores, who is 1) a defensive coach, and 2) a "culture" guy who loved the swagger of Fitzpatrick. He was never going to try and develop Rosen. He was going to let him sink or swim, and if he swam, great, if he sunk, whatever, they were supposed to be semi-tanking that year for Tua/Burrow anyways.

Honestly, I think calling Rosen a bad QB is worse than calling Sam Darnold a bad QB, mainly because we've seen so much of Sam Darnold (albeit always under new coaching/Adam Gase, the offensive moron who somehow has a reputation as a genius because of...Peyton Manning, I guess, as if Peyton wouldn't have been legendary without Gase).

Shanahan is the first good, offensive coach Rosen will have. I actually hope to see him play sometime these last few games, see if Shanahan can do anything with him. Maybe sitting on the PS behind Tom Brady has done Rosen some good. I can't believe that an immobile QB is just not viable in the league any more - it may be out of fashion, but it works in some places.

It's no coincidence that the two QBs who are seeing the most success out of that class (Josh Allen and Lamar) went to the more stable franchises willing to not only build around them, but scheme around them too. Josh Allen has become scheme-independent, and I was totally wrong about him, but my contention is any of the QBs who went to Buffalo that year would have been above average franchise QBs by now. I feel bad for Darnold and Rosen, tbh.

And for those who are like, "Allen worked on his mechanics with the genius Jordan Palmer (younger brother of Carson) in the offseason, he just wants it more..." Jordan Palmer also works with Sam Darnold, and can't fix the Jets offensive scheme. And I always kind of scoff at the idea that these guys, who have been competitive as fuck their whole lives, suddenly "want it less and thus fail." That's like, a postmodern capitalist take on QBs if I ever heard one - the ones who failed deserve it because they didn't work hard enough! Gimme a break. Rosen was dinged for being competitive to the point of being "arrogant" because his competitiveness was mixed with intelligence, which the NFL seems to hate.
    Not sure why people are quick to write off Sam Darnold's career, I will agree there. You look at Ryan Tannehill who almost was a career write off with Gase as well. Then he got a shot with the Titans and beat out an injured Mariota, a former first round pick. I could see the Steelers making a move at Darnold. Probably not Wentz like I said before because I didn't know that Ben had that much of a cap hit from restructures next year. I think its like over 40m next year.

Rosen though, we really haven't seen enough of him to make a firm assessment on his ability. I do think SF will give him a place to thrive with plenty of offensive weapons and a really good offensive minded coach. Plus when healthy a really good defense. If he can't make it work in SF then I think hes done.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Rosen though, we really haven't seen enough of him to make a firm assessment on his ability. I do think SF will give him a place to thrive with plenty of offensive weapons and a really good offensive minded coach. Plus when healthy a really good defense. If he can't make it work in SF then I think hes done.
    I'm not sure how practical this scenario is, but I would love to see Jimmy G go back to the Patriots and Rosen get a decent chance with the 49ers. I think both would thrive in those respective environments.

10+ Year Old Account
    And Kurt Warner was bagging groceries. NFL is often guilty of groupthink like this, if one team didn't see anything in a player, we would be stupid to question it, which is nonsense. NFL people make mistakes, miss things, all the time. Sometimes all that is needed is an opportunity.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I'm not sure how practical this scenario is, but I would love to see Jimmy G go back to the Patriots and Rosen get a decent chance with the 49ers. I think both would thrive in those respective environments.
    Eh Jimmy G back to the Pats is not impossible. But no way Rosen gets anything more than a chance to compete for a backup job.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this game turns into the Dalvin Cook/Alvin Kamara show, I'm all for it. Give me a high-scoring shootout for the holidays.

Side note, does anyone ever remember an NFL game played on Christmas day? Seems like they've always gone out of their way to avoid it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    If this game turns into the Dalvin Cook/Alvin Kamara show, I'm all for it. Give me a high-scoring shootout for the holidays.

Side note, does anyone ever remember an NFL game played on Christmas day? Seems like they've always gone out of their way to avoid it.
    Well it turned into one of those shows.